Terrified of The Mummy launch. First time, please help

Consolis

Original Poster
Hi I'm 20 and I've chickened out of riding The Mummy every single time. I went on Rockn Roller Coaster when I was 7 and I HATED it. The launch is what killed me and that's the only thing I'm dreading here. Fast speeds unsettle me. I can do big thunder and space mountain but that's my limit. I just finally wanna get over my fear and do it, please help. It's a phobia. I get sick just thinking about it. I'm going this Sunday for Halloween horror nights and i don't know what to do

Glasgow

I was in a similar situation when i was younger. When i was little i rode one of the coasters at Busch Gardens. It scared the bejeebers out of me and really kept me off coasters for a long time.

I then went to Six Flags when i was 18 and decided to attempt a small coaster. So far so good .. I enjoyed it. I worked my way back up in intensity until i was going in the big rides. Guess what? I'd done a complete 180 and really enjoyed my trip.

My advice is try to work your way up and dont just force yourself to go. Rational or irrational fears aside, the point of going is to have fun, not just to get the 'experience' IMO. Mummy is a great mix of dark ride and thrill ride so just know its not just about the launch but also the overall attraction.

HouseHacker97

Hi I'm 20 and I've chickened out of riding The Mummy every single time. I went on Rockn Roller Coaster when I was 7 and I HATED it. The launch is what killed me and that's the only thing I'm dreading here. Fast speeds unsettle me. I can do big thunder and space mountain but that's my limit. I just finally wanna get over my fear and do it, please help. It's a phobia. I get sick just thinking about it. I'm going this Sunday for Halloween horror nights and i don't know what to do

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was absolutely TERRIFIED of speeds and drops and things like that. A few years ago, my friends *forced* me to go on with them and i literally thought i was gonna die waiting in line and when i sat down in the vehicle. I hated the 2 drops (the second one is worse so prepare yourself) and still get nervous before them, but now I think it's safe to say it's my favorite ride for the overall experience and I always make it a point to ride it first and last on a good day in the park. It feels similar to space mountain and the drops really aren't that high if you turned the lights on- its over in a second. If you've been on Gringots, the second drop on Mummy basically feels the same. Its really not as bad as I thought it would be when I first rode it.

Consolis

Original Poster
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was absolutely TERRIFIED of speeds and drops and things like that. A few years ago, my friends *forced* me to go on with them and i literally thought i was gonna die waiting in line and when i sat down in the vehicle. I hated the 2 drops (the second one is worse so prepare yourself) and still get nervous before them, but now I think it's safe to say it's my favorite ride for the overall experience and I always make it a point to ride it first and last on a good day in the park. It feels similar to space mountain and the drops really aren't that high if you turned the lights on- its over in a second. If you've been on Gringots, the second drop on Mummy basically feels the same. Its really not as bad as I thought it would be when I first rode it.

thanks so much, you're really helping me work up my courage. I just wanna get it over with, this fear is irrational and I can handle gringotts and Jurassic park drops perfectly. But could you describe the launch to me? How does it feel? that's my biggest fear. The speed and the launch. :(

Consolis

Original Poster
Thank you so much everyone for your responses, I'm still a little shaky but a little bit more confident about doing this. :p

I have until Sunday to work up the courage, honestly in just afraid of the speed and the launch. Does it jerk you back too bad? How fast would you compare it to any other rides? I want to feel prepared and know what to expect. I don't want that feeling of impending doom. :arghh:

21stamps

Thank you so much everyone for your responses, I'm still a little shaky but a little bit more confident about doing this. :p

I have until Sunday to work up the courage, honestly in just afraid of the speed and the launch. Does it jerk you back too bad? How fast would you compare it to any other rides? I want to feel prepared and know what to expect. I don't want that feeling of impending doom. :arghh:
Have you watched it on YouTube?

JCAEdge21

It really isn't a big launch.. You start going up a hill slowly and it gradually builds up speed until you reach the top and go over the peak.

I almost don't even consider it to be a "launch". It's for sure night and day compared to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster where you're stationary and then literally launched to 60 mph in 3 seconds. I'd almost say the mummy is more similar to Test Track when it comes to the "launch".

Consolis

Original Poster
That's actually a very good way to put it, Test Track is actually one of my favorite rides. I'm trying to put this irrational fear behind me. Thanks so much for your support everyone,I'm feeling a lot braver.
How does the speed feel? o_O
Is it a velocity that makes it hard to breathe? Or is it just quick? How intense will I feel this speed? Because in my head I feel like it'd be an overwhelming speed. But I don't know. I want to be ready and know exactly what to expect before I do this.:confused:

Magic Feather

That's actually a very good way to put it, Test Track is actually one of my favorite rides. I'm trying to put this irrational fear behind me. Thanks so much for your support everyone,I'm feeling a lot braver.
How does the speed feel? o_O
Is it a velocity that makes it hard to breathe? Or is it just quick? How intense will I feel this speed? Because in my head I feel like it'd be an overwhelming speed. But I don't know. I want to be ready and know exactly what to expect before I do this.:confused:
You are being launched up hill, so it doesn't feel as much like a launch, plus you are already moving. You will be fine, my aunt has the same problem, and loves the mummy.

Consolis

Original Poster
Well if it's anything like that gringotts launch or test track then I'm sure I'll be fine. Tomorrow's the day, I'm excited but super nervous and I hope so bad I don't chicken out. :(
I'm just gonna go into it with an open mind and take all your advice with me. I'll brace myself. :geek: Thanks everyone for your support and advice, I really appreciate it. It's given me much comfort and courage. :happy:

21stamps

Well if it's anything like that gringotts launch or test track then I'm sure I'll be fine. Tomorrow's the day, I'm excited but super nervous and I hope so bad I don't chicken out. :(
I'm just gonna go into it with an open mind and take all your advice with me. I'll brace myself. :geek: Thanks everyone for your support and advice, I really appreciate it. It's given me much comfort and courage. :happy:
Let us know how it goes. Have a wonderful time!

DisneyPrincess5

I have struggled with phobias too, so I get how debilitating it is! I used to be afraid of a lot of rides but I've become more and more brave, which has made my life more fun! DH and I LOOOOOVE the Mummy. It may seem intimidating at first. Lots of lights, darkness, sounds, and more. It's fast at times with twists and turns. But always remember that it's a ride-it's not real, it was made for people's enjoyment, and people control and monitor every second of it. And it is a short ride so even if you hate it, it'll be over soon! Good luck.

PorterRedkey

You can do it! Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom