Teppan Edo Food Quality?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
based on our last visit two weeks ago we wont be back to Teppan Edo for quite a while. What they tried to pass off for a sushi sampler appetizer was pathetic. Loosely packed and poorly presented... a definate meh. To compare and contrast we ate at Kona a few days before and the Sushi was excellent.

They added back the Hotate (sea scallop) entree that went missing last year, but the chef overcooked them which made my wife not so happy. I had the beef and chicken combo and it was just ok. The staff is always wonderful but the food which is the primary reason we've eaten there just doesnt cut the mustard anymore.

jaklgreen

I don't believe they ever did fried rice at the table. I remember asking about it as my local place here in NYC does it and I was wondering why they didn't. They told me it was to not compete with the China Pavilion. Not sure if the manager was pulling my leg or what but there it is. That said, I do like the lightly flavored rice with the beef in it they serve currently, definitely more tasty than the plain rice. Marie

Fried rice is a Chinese dish, so they would not serve it in Japan.

Phonedave

I've never found anything close to high end sushi at Disney.... I know Ive told you before, but go to O ya in NYC or Boston if you ever get the chance.... 2 people will cost about 600 but it is to die for....

I almost hate to ask, but have you tried the California Grill's sushi?

I know Dave mentioned this before to you and I agree with him about rolls not being true sushi. I'm talking just fish or fish on rice..... I've had Cal Grill rolls and they are very good. The pork belly one is very tasty.... I should have been more clear

Just to set the record straight. Technically, rolls are sushi. Sushi, the definition of sushi, has to do with the rice, not the fish. So actually fish alone is NOT sushi.

Now, technical definitions aside, I have said that some places in WDW have OK sushi. Not great, but OK. I have also said, that the stuff they serve at CG is not so all fired great. Forget just sushi, but with any good dish, a really well prepared dish, flavors are in balance and the quality of ingredients speak out. Spicy tuna is a way of masking not-so good tuna. Something like the Spicy Kazan roll at CG may have the best fish in the world in it, but you would never know because of all of the other stuff they jam in there. It does a disservice to the ingredients (including the rice).

Sushi chefs will labor and agonize over their rice. To dump a spicy mayo based sauce over it .... But then when you get people mixing wasabi into their soy sauce, or eating pickled ginger like it is an appitizer, what do you expect.

You can have good rolls, and you can get OK sushi at WDW, but the sushi at Teppen Edo really is garbage.

While I have never eaten at O Ya, I have had some really good sushi. I doubt I will go to O Ya because I am the only person in my family who eats sushi. I found a little hole in the wall place by me that fills the bill. I go in, the waitress knows me, and basically starts teh conversation with "we just got some uni in this morning, and some really nice oysters". I respond, "that sounds good, do something with that", and then I get whatever they make up. They know to avoid the eel as well - never been a big fan of eel. I'll eat it, but just not a fan.

-dave

danyoung56

I have also said, that the stuff they serve at CG is not so all fired great.... Something like the Spicy Kazan roll at CG may have the best fish in the world in it, but you would never know because of all of the other stuff they jam in there. It does a disservice to the ingredients (including the rice).

You can say things like this all you want, and you might even be correct in your review. All I can go with is my own experience, and the Spicy Kazan Roll is one of my favorite dishes, anywhere, from any restaurant on the planet.

Phonedave

You can say things like this all you want, and you might even be correct in your review. All I can go with is my own experience, and the Spicy Kazan Roll is one of my favorite dishes, anywhere, from any restaurant on the planet.

I'm not knocking it, and you may in fact like it. There are lots of things that i like to eat that are not "fine dining" as well. The point really is that they could fill that thing with bottom feeding sucker fish, and it would not make a difference, as the "spicy" overwhems it.

It's like chicken wings. If I am eating fried chicken wings - just dredged in some seasoned flour and fried, it needs to be good chicken for it to taste good, because it is all about the chicken.

If I am eating hot wings, which I do enjoy every much, then it really is all about the sauce, the meatiness of the chicken matters, but not so much the flavor because the "Original Death" sauce masks it.

-dave

Hockey89

Just to set the record straight. Technically, rolls are sushi. Sushi, the definition of sushi, has to do with the rice, not the fish. So actually fish alone is NOT sushi.

Now, technical definitions aside, I have said that some places in WDW have OK sushi. Not great, but OK. I have also said, that the stuff they serve at CG is not so all fired great. Forget just sushi, but with any good dish, a really well prepared dish, flavors are in balance and the quality of ingredients speak out. Spicy tuna is a way of masking not-so good tuna. Something like the Spicy Kazan roll at CG may have the best fish in the world in it, but you would never know because of all of the other stuff they jam in there. It does a disservice to the ingredients (including the rice).

Sushi chefs will labor and agonize over their rice. To dump a spicy mayo based sauce over it .... But then when you get people mixing wasabi into their soy sauce, or eating pickled ginger like it is an appitizer, what do you expect.

You can have good rolls, and you can get OK sushi at WDW, but the sushi at Teppen Edo really is garbage.

While I have never eaten at O Ya, I have had some really good sushi. I doubt I will go to O Ya because I am the only person in my family who eats sushi. I found a little hole in the wall place by me that fills the bill. I go in, the waitress knows me, and basically starts teh conversation with "we just got some uni in this morning, and some really nice oysters". I respond, "that sounds good, do something with that", and then I get whatever they make up. They know to avoid the eel as well - never been a big fan of eel. I'll eat it, but just not a fan.

-dave
Nice read..... As they say in Japan, It is all about the rice... They are not using Otoro in spicy Tuna Rolls...

PS: I don't know how anybody gets eel down... Holy god

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Nice read..... As they say in Japan, It is all about the rice... They are not using Otoro in spicy Tuna Rolls...

PS: I don't know how anybody gets eel down... Holy god
My daughter loves it, but I am with you guys.

Mackerel is another one I don't care much for. Way too "fishy" for my taste.

Phonedave

My daughter loves it, but I am with you guys.

Mackerel is another one I don't care much for. Way too "fishy" for my taste.

I guess it's all different tastes. I happen to like mackerel. It sort of reminds me of pickled herring in onions and white wine. Now, that's something else that not everbody else likes, I guess it all depends on what you grew up on (25% Norwegian = pickled fish)

As for dislikes, along with eel, boiled surf clam is not one of my favorites. I like it more than eel, and I love the taste, its just the way they can be so rubbery that is a turn off. Much wors than say overcooked squid.

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I guess it's all different tastes. I happen to like mackerel. It sort of reminds me of pickled herring in onions and white wine. Now, that's something else that not everbody else likes, I guess it all depends on what you grew up on (25% Norwegian = pickled fish)

As for dislikes, along with eel, boiled surf clam is not one of my favorites. I like it more than eel, and I love the taste, its just the way they can be so rubbery that is a turn off. Much wors than say overcooked squid.

-dave
Quite true. My BIL loves mackerel, but I find the taste a little to harsh.

danyoung56

The point really is that they could fill that thing with bottom feeding sucker fish, and it would not make a difference, as the "spicy" overwhems it.

If you can believe what waiters tell you, more then one of the California Grill waiters has pointed out that the CG's longtime sushi artist was widely considered to be one of the top 6 in the world. She's gone now, but I haven't noticed any marked difference in the taste of the Spicy Kazan Roll. Yummy then, yummy now!

Phonedave

If you can believe what waiters tell you, more then one of the California Grill waiters has pointed out that the CG's longtime sushi artist was widely considered to be one of the top 6 in the world. She's gone now, but I haven't noticed any marked difference in the taste of the Spicy Kazan Roll. Yummy then, yummy now!

She self admits that she has her own style of sushi, which she calls "comfort food style sushi" Her rice is sweeter, and she only uses it as an accent, not as a main ingredient.

It goes exactly with what I have been saying. Think of comfort foods - most of them are slow cooked, with lots of blended favors, many times comfort foods were made with cheaper ingredients and highly spiced or seasond because the ingredients were not as good. That describes the CG sushi to a T. It's tasty, just like comfort food, but in the traditional sense of sushi, it's not what somone who is looking for traditional sushi would expect (or maybe even be happy with). Its like if you wanted a poached egg, and somone served you a breakfast skillet. It may be the best skillet you ever had in your life - but you were looking for a poached egg.

-dave

danyoung56

Well, I'll just say this (and I realize I'm more or less repeating myself). I don't discount what you say, dave. All I can say is that my favorite plate of sushi anywhere is the Spicy Kazan Roll. It doesn't really matter to me how authentic it is, or if it's closer to a skillet than a poached egg. It's really tasty, something that I never miss a chance to eat.

Hockey89

Well, I'll just say this (and I realize I'm more or less repeating myself). I don't discount what you say, dave. All I can say is that my favorite plate of sushi anywhere is the Spicy Kazan Roll. It doesn't really matter to me how authentic it is, or if it's closer to a skillet than a poached egg. It's really tasty, something that I never miss a chance to eat.
People like Applebees... It's all good... Enjoy the roll :)

jmrdv

We used to eat at Teppan Edo a few times during our vacations but now just once and maybe that will stop. The experience is nice but TOO many of the chef's have good experience making volcano's but have not learned how to season food or cook it to proper temp. It's also way too easy to walk out of there hungry. At least the funnel cake stand is a short walk away.

Their quick service restaurant is a different story, serving consistently good food albeit in a hectic very busy environment.

Hockey89

We used to eat at Teppan Edo a few times during our vacations but now just once and maybe that will stop. The experience is nice but TOO many of the chef's have good experience making volcano's but have not learned how to season food or cook it to proper temp. It's also way too easy to walk out of there hungry. At least the funnel cake stand is a short walk away.

Their quick service restaurant is a different story, serving consistently good food albeit in a hectic very busy environment.
It is hard to find one that nails the cooking temp... No question about it....

Amos1784

I think this all depends on where you are from and if you have ever been to a dining place with that style. If you are from a small town and you don't have a Benihana, Domo, Sinto ect... this is a dining experience I think everyone would enjoy to do. We have always had great quality food and entertainment there but definitely probably would depend on your "chef" you get. If you are from a bigger town and have these dining opportunities at home I would advise going there and trying something different in World Showcase.

As far as walking out of there hungry you would have to have quite the appetite to do that in my opinion.You get your protein, vegetables, lo mien style noodles, and rice with your meal. Assuming you do not order any appetizers.

Hockey89

[QUOTE="Amos1784, post: 7857119, member: 109080"

As far as walking out of there hungry you would have to have quite the appetite to do that in my opinion.You get your protein, vegetables, lo mien style noodles, and rice with your meal. Assuming you do not order any appetizers.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it is a ton of food....

wannabeBelle

[QUOTE="Amos1784, post: 7857119, member: 109080"

As far as walking out of there hungry you would have to have quite the appetite to do that in my opinion.You get your protein, vegetables, lo mien style noodles, and rice with your meal. Assuming you do not order any appetizers.
Yeah, it is a ton of food....[/QUOTE]
Try Kobe Japanese steakhouse just off site at Palm Parkway, you will be leaving with leftovers for sure!! This is one of my favorite places outside of the World. Marie

wdwjmp239

I hate to bump old discussion threads, but I had a recent experience at Teppan Edo that I would like to share.

My wife and I took our kids to Teppan Edo for dinner on Wednesday, June 20th, 2019. The kids loved the show the cook put on, but I thought, at least based on my observations and opinion that Teppan Edo is starting to lose its "pizazz" since they updated the restaurant some time ago. My wife and I remembered them passing out warm wash cloths to wipe our hands clean. Now, they're passing out pretty much disinfectant wipes in plastic packaging with the Mituskoshi name all over it. The salad they serve you before your meal was just lettuce with very little dressing on it. The white rice tasted like it was leftover rice from a few days ago. And, the quality and quantity of the dinner itself is not really enough to justify the cost.

Just wondering if anyone else on here has had a recent similar experience?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom