Tell me about Swan and Dolphin

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So, if I don't keep frittering my Christmas bonus away, I might have an opportunity to piece together the funds for a trip this year.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about Swan and Dolphin and specifically, since these are not actually Disney resorts, what is not included that is included at other resorts. Magic hours? Bus service? Other stuff? Sorry but never stayed here before and am a bit clueless.

I also hear there is a pretty high daily resort fee for these. Does anyone know what it is? Not finding it in the Swan Dolphin website but maybe I'm blind.

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Minthorne

Yeah the Dolphin is great location. If you find a good rate it can be under disney deluxe price even including the fee and parking.

You get all disney resort perks except DME, charging to your room from outside the dolphin and ability to buy DDP

bcalltimandanna

The only time we stayed at the Dolphin we only stayed for one night. It is a pretty fun place to stay. Yeah, you end up paying 35 dollars a night in resort fees....but when we got to our room we could see Epcot and MGM.....soooooooo

TXDisney

Location is great, but definitely isn't the feel like your still at disney when in your room. But if you don't care about that, then it's a great location for your dollar.

Redhawk

My husband and I love staying there. We like it because it's more adult-oriented, with not so much of the Disney froufrou in the rooms or hotel lobbies BUT enough that you're still aware you're at WDW. Use SPG.com to look for rates and they'll show you a rate breakdown including all taxes and resort fees before you actually make the reservation. No DME or free Magic Bands but you get Extra Magic Hours and can make FP+ selections 60 days out.

Within walking distance (or short boat ride) of Epcot, plus a short boat ride to HS. Free buses to AK and MK. You're in the Boardwalk area with access to the resorts and restaurants. Good dining options with a couple of high-quality places at both Dolphin and Swan (we love the sushi/karaoke bar), plus a good spa and nice pools. You can get lovely views toward a pretty lagoon and the Boardwalk area, Epcot, and HS.

Last edited:

DiSnEyF@n

We love staying at the Dolphin. The pool is beautiful and the lobby is magnificent. I love having EPCOT within walking distance. The resort fees are high, but totally worth it. They charge $20 for 2 bottles of water and wifi every night you're there.... My opinion is even if you don't drink the water that day, move them from the place that housekeeping puts them at bc they will replace (they won't replace every day if they are left there). Might as well get your money worth. Same goes for the shampoo and conditioner and lotion (which are marvelous, I might add).
I honestly don't mind the price and added taxes and fees bc I'm already saving so much money.... Oh, I don't know if you can get DDP while staying there, but I'm not sure.

jlsHouston

Much more comfortable beds than the Disney deluxe resorts.... We've done a split stay at the Dolphin a couple of times. We really like the pool there. And Fresh Med one of my most favorite lunch places for a salad...and the breakfast buffet is pretty good too. There is really nothing to not like about the Swandolphin. Compared to the HIlton in DTD I stayed at one night last August it is day and night. I keep TRYING to love Hilton...but they truly lack the consistency you get in a Starwood property. I think the worse thing about staying Swandolphin is the resort fee and parking if you have a car. It usually puts me up at the price of a cheaper Disney deluxe resort by the time that gets figured in. Overall it's a great onsite property.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Both hotels are nice, but I'm probably a bit more partial to the Swan, because it's smaller and somewhat more intimate. A number of times I've stayed there, and booked a balcony room (I love going out early in the morning to the balcony with a cup of coffee). The location of both hotels is outstanding; just a boat ride away to Epcot or DHS. It's so convenient.

I prefer the restaurants (including the tray service cafeteria, Picabu) over in the Dolphin, though. There are a few pools shared between the two hotels, with food and bar services, poolside. They have a health club as well.

As for the resort fee add-ons (and parking fee if you park a car), they still don't bring the room charge up as high as many of the deluxe Disney-run hotels. I've often received good discounts with my AAA membership, but there are other discount offers as well. It's advisable to check their web site fairly often, as rates go up and down with supply and demand. I've also done well with a few relatively last-minute reservations, after a room block was released; and those rooms are offered at a deep discount, due to the short notice.

The hotels participate in the extra magic hours at the WDW parks. I'd say the only thing I missed was not being able to use the Disney Magic Express bus service from the airport; but by taking a taxi or a towncar, the time I saved getting to and from the hotel made up for that. :)

Hockey89

I stayed there for the first time in 20 years and felt the rooms were so outdated.... We got moved to a newer room and still blah

tpoly88

as was said they are both under reno. i think dolphin is just about done and you can request a re-imagined room (i think that was the term to use). If you are going with your wife its a great place, you can the rooms at a great price (sometimes 1/2 of Y &BC) especially if your a FL resident. Rooms are quiet and comfortable beds. If you have the kids it might be a little of a let down because its not disney everywhere and they don't have the characters everywhere. I always stay there as i can't stand paying $300+ for y &BC anymore or boardwalk. Easy to get around from there too.

Redhawk

Yes, the rooms we've had at the Dolphin have been large, although some might find the bathrooms cramped. My memory is that the bathrooms have the sink in an outer area separate from the shower and toilet. I like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom