Teaser for Disney Junior's upcoming new show "The Lion Guard - Return of the Roar"

brb1006

Original Poster
A new Disney Jr animated series is coming. This time it's a spinoff of The Lion King called "The Lion Guard - Return Of The Roar". This is also the 2rd Disney Jr show that is based on a Disney Animated Film with the previous one being "Jack And The Neverland Pirates" a spinoff of Peter Pan.

Here's a short clip of the new show.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I thought this was going to be a lot better than it is. Personally, I find the animation looks very... odd. The way all the characters move seems very strange to me. From the looks of the trailer, it seems like this will just be another typical "group of misfits" save the day kind of movie/show. When I read that Matthew Broderick and Moira Kelly weren't even reprising their roles as Simba and Nala, I lost a lot of interest. I'm still looking forward to this since The Lion King is tied for my favorite Disney movie of all time, albeit less than I was before.

Sped2424

Now the animation is odd, but that's because it's something we haven't seen. Is this 2d with 3d? Is it a form of the meander engine? As for the content alone I think this one clip is HARDLY any sort of indication of what the shows going to be about.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Now the animation is odd, but that's because it's something we haven't seen. Is this 2d with 3d? Is it a form of the meander engine? As for the content alone I think this one clip is HARDLY any sort of indication of what the shows going to be about.
I don't think anybody thought it was 3D at first, but looking back, it does look a little bit like cel shaded 3D instead of 2D. I'm not assuming that's what the show is going to be about, it's been explicitly stated the show is about Kion and his friends protecting the Pridelands. I feel the clip is just in-line with what has already been stated.

Sped2424

I don't think anybody thought it was 3D at first, but looking back, it does look a little bit like cel shaded 3D instead of 2D. I'm not assuming that's what the show is going to be about, it's been explicitly stated the show is about Kion and his friends protecting the Pridelands. I feel the clip is just in-line with what has already been stated.
The backgrounds are 2d, but the characters are definitly not. There is something slightly different to em that is really interesting. And kion and his friends can be far more interesting than this one clip though. All in all it's a tv show for very young children so I am not expecting mind blowing programming.

brb1006

Original Poster
The backgrounds are 2d, but the characters are definitly not. There is something slightly different to em that is really interesting. And kion and his friends can be far more interesting than this one clip though. All in all it's a tv show for very young children so I am not expecting mind blowing programming.
I can't wait to see more clips of the show in the future.

Magenta Panther

Well, it certainly can't be faulted for its production values. Very very nice.

People on youtube are making cracks about lion cutie marks, though. :p

But at least this is in 2D, and looks WAY better than that awful Timon and Pumbaa show from years back. It looks like it's much more in the Lion King spirit. This isn't aimed at me, obviously, but I might take a look at it.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes

I still think the animation looks a little strange, but I think this looks better than the first sneak peek. I feel like this will be the kind of show I don't want anyone IRL to know I watch. Otherwise, it's a Lion King show, so I. Am. PUMPED.

CastleBound

I agree, the animation looked a little strange while they were moving, but it didn't bother me too much. I just hope it's not overly cutesy. This clip has nearly too cute. haha.. Maybe it's just that I've grown up with the original, but I don't feel like there was anything as "made for TV" feeling in that film as there was in this clip. But I am excited to watch it. I'll be tuning in for sure.

Magenta Panther

I never really cared for Lion King II. First of all...Kiara. Since when is a lioness the leader of a pride? That ploy seemed a little too politically correct. "I a lioness, hear me roar." :D

Brer Panther

The other characters were pretty annoying. Simba essentially was the lion equivalent of King Triton, Timon and Pumbaa were awkwardly shoehorned in, and Nuka was little more than an unfunny replacement for the Hyenas (which is a shame, because I normally think his voice actor is pretty funny).

Last edited:

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
So did anybody watch tonight? Any thoughts? I thought it was just 'okay,' but I liked it.

I was very annoyed by most of the voices and I still haven't gotten over the animation style. In addition, I think most, if not all, of the songs were pretty forgettable.

Oh well, let's see how the show turns out.

sofiathesecond

Well, keeping in mind that the pilot is often the weakest episode of any series, I thought it was decent. It seems to me like they're really putting some effort into this one. I'll be interested to see the series proper, hoping that the characters get more development so they're not so flat.

champdisney

I enjoyed the show for what it's worth (it's a children's show for heaven's sake!)

I also thought the brief backstory about Scar as the last known Lion Guard was really cool. That alone would make a great prequel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom