Team Mist: SYWTBAI Season 14, Project Five Open Brainstorming

JokersWild

The Tower of London would definitely be a striking symbol in the back of the pavilion. I know the assignment calls for the attraction to be an E-ticket, so I don't know if a flat ride would fit the criteria.

Honestly, I'm a bit partial to the idea of mixing the legends and mythology of the tower. It may be a good way to marry the occult concept as well - part of the attraction could be in the lower levels of the tower, where we could focus on spooky stuff like that.

EDIT: in terms of ride systems, what about something like the Transformers ride system? It would allow us to use elevators to let cars travel through different floors of the Tower of London, while also letting us keep a dark ride feel to the attraction.
I wholeheartedly agree with all of this.

Ok guys, I'm going to be gone for a good deal of today and tomorrow. If everyone's ok with it I'll volunteer to work on the exterior and queue of our attraction.
This too

-----------------------------------
So yeah. We just need to get this out by tomorrow. I'm going to be out all night tomorrow night, so I won't be able to post it (I really wish the judges would stop having Friday due dates, but I digress...) If we can figure out at least a basic story, I can start working on preshow or possibly the beginning of the ride. I'm thinking that we could continue with the seance angle by centering the story around a seance being held in the Tower of London, only for the spirits of the tower to be released. Something of that sort.

Past that, I'd just like to apologize. This brainstorming has been an absolute disaster for some reason, at least from my perspective, and I'm not entirely sure why. Nevertheless, I'm sure that whatever we put out will be incredible, and I can't wait to see the end result.

DisneyManOne

I enjoy the seance aspect. We could projections or 3D technology to make it feel like we're really facing these horrors. I could easily see Bloody Mary and Jack the Ripper coming at us, or see Sweeney Todd's razor come right near our throats, or almost feel like Richard III will spell our doom. There's so much we could do with this!

mickeyfan5534

I enjoy the seance aspect. We could projections or 3D technology to make it feel like we're really facing these horrors. I could easily see Bloody Mary and Jack the Ripper coming at us, or see Sweeney Todd's razor come right near our throats, or almost feel like Richard III will spell our doom. There's so much we could do with this!
Bloody Mary and Richard III, yes. But we've moved away from the serial killers.

mickeyfan5534

So ideas so far:
Tower of London
Multiple levels like Transformers
Richard III and the Princes in the Tower
Bloody Mary
Lady Jane Gray?
Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, and Katherine Howard?
Henry VI?
And then most of the ghosts in the tower are nameless and shapeless from the stories of those who have experienced the hauntings.

DisneyManOne

So ideas so far:
Tower of London
Multiple levels like Transformers
Richard III and the Princes in the Tower
Bloody Mary
Lady Jane Gray?
Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, and Katherine Howard?
Henry VI?
And then most of the ghosts in the tower are nameless and shapeless from the stories of those who have experienced the hauntings.

I'm liking where this is headed so far. Maybe one of those could be the main "villain" in the attraction whom we have to stop; and we've got to escape the other ghosts before facing the main one face-to-face?

mickeyfan5534

I'm liking where this is headed so far. Maybe one of those could be the main "villain" in the attraction whom we have to stop; and we've got to escape the other ghosts before facing the main one face-to-face?
Who better than Richard III and Mary with Henry VI and the Princes and Jane Gray and the wives as sort of allies for us?

JokersWild

So, we have an extra day. Lets make the most of it.

I'll gladly take the preshow and load/ ride system if you guys want to split the actual ride between yourselves.

In terms of the ride system, I'd love to use the same system that Forbidden Journey currently uses. The KUKA arm could make a really interesting floaty ethereal feel.

Snoopy

As far as titles go, does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe The White Tower, it's ominous and not too on-the-nose while also drawing back to an actual location within the tower complex.

DisneyManOne

I'll gladly take the final confrontation with Richard and Mary. I'm envisioning a 3D chase sequence with the ghosts desperately swinging swords and knifes at you.

mickeyfan5534

I'm assuming we're going edutainment with this.

Round One
Lady Jane Grey
We float into a prison cell and a mist turns into the ghost of a woman putting her head on. "Hello, my name is Lady Jane Grey," she says as she curtsies to us. "My jealous Cousin Mary, who you probably already met if you got this deep, had me beheaded when King Edward proclaimed me Queen. Which led, of course, to this." She removes her head and tucks it under her head before Mary flies in and cackles. She chases us out of the room with an axe, taking Jane along with us.

DisneyManOne

Edutainment it is...

The Final Floor
Standing before us is mere nothingness. We can see all of London Town in a distant window. Suddenly, a male voice is heard. "Ah, I see you've gotten past all the rogues of the tower...and I see that they absolutely failed to do you in. Well, it looks like it's more work for me. Oh, where are my manners? Permit me to introduce myself..." A hunch-backed, ugly ghost appears before us. "I am Richard the Third...King Richard the Third to you. If you've ever heard or seen the play about my life, written by that William Shakespeare bloke, I bet you already know why I'm here. When my brother Edward died, I killed his young son, who was to take the throne, as well as his brother, and left their bodies here in this tower. And why did I do this? So I could take the throne! And now that you know who I am, why don't you just take this time to enjoy the view...because it will be the last thing you ever see!" The lights go out, and we hear his ghastly voice chant Bloody Mary's name three times. A bright red flash bursts forth, and Bloody Mary emerges. What follows is a wild chase with Richard and Mary after us, and knives being hurled in our general direction. And just when we think they have us cornered...the ghosts of Edward V and Richard of Shrewsbury, the two young boys Richard III killed, appear. "Quick, through here! It's the only way out!" they yell to us. "You meddling fools!" Richard III shouts at them. But, we make a sharp turn and emerge out of the tower. "Curses!" Richard and Mary shout. "You may have gotten away this time, but heed our words...we shall return!" Mary's voice chillingly warns us. And as the wicked laughter of Richard and Mary fades off into the distance, we exit our vehicle and head out, back into the real world of the United Kingdom.

That's my concept for the final floor/final chase sequence. If there's anything else you want me to do, let me know.

Snoopy

Ok so originally I had the entrance to this attraction at the end of the courtyard next to the Toy Soldier, but the more I tried to justify the placement there the harder it became. The building just didn't blend in with the scenery there and threw off the charming feel of the area. I instead moved the entrance to where the Millennium Pavilion used to sit, with the idea being that our attraction can occupy the space that the empty pavilion currently sits on. This also allows for a bit of a dramatic walk-up to the tower that just plopping it at the end of the courtyard wouldn't have provided. Plus, the stone look kind of blends in with the Canada pavilion next door.

---

Tucked away in the right corner of the United Kingdom pavilion, beyond the Sportsman's Shoppe and Rose and Crown Beer Garden, lies a recreation of the Tower of London. This tower is naturally a scaled-down replica that utilizes forced perspective to appear taller than it is like so many other Disney buildings, but is no less imposing than its real-life counterpart. Walking beyond the pin cart and Joffrey's Coffee stand, guests pass a field of red poppies and come across an old wall and archway. Above the archway lies a sign saying The White Tower. Getting closer guests meet a cast member who is tasked with measuring smaller guests, ensuring that they are at least 40 inches tall to enter. Just before the turnstyles are signs warning guests against riding if they have heart or back conditions, as well as notifying guests of loud noises, sharp movements and general spookiness. Assuming that guests meet the physical requirements and have a strong enough constitution to handle the scarier aspects, they travel under the archway and enter a courtyard. A pathway in the courtyard surrounds the tower as it does in the real location, but this location is only for emergencies and is not accessible to everyday guests - they follow a roped off path from the archway to inside the tower, where the queue begins.

The interior is a mostly faithful recreation of the actual White Tower, minus of course the museum elements that are incorporated within the tower now. This instead is a more setting-accurate depiction of the tower as it was in the Old World United Kingdom that never was and always will be, as is typical of World Showcase pavilions. Legend and story take the day here, and there are plenty of stories to be told about the Tower of London. Today however we are concentrating on a very specific type of story, and that is of the legendary dark legacy that the tower is known for. A suit of armor greets guests as they enter the first room, with royal banners hanging along the wall. Proudly displayed in the center of the floor on a pedestal and behind glass are the Crown Jewels, which shine and reflect throughout the room. It is understood here that while the royal family is currently at Buckingham Palace, their presence is always felt here (in more ways than one). This is also the most artificially lit room in the queue, with each successive room replacing light-bubs with more candles and natural lighting.

The second room in the queue is far more quaint by comparison: a kitchen. While perhaps a little modest, guests paying attention notice a few things off about it. For starters, a few of the knives in the room are missing and the window has been slightly cracked open. And, is it just the imagination of the guests or does the cutting board on the table have a bit of dried blood on it? Moving on through a pantry guests enter a back door and into the Chapel of St. John. A striking area to be sure, and if guests listen closely they can hear hymns being played in the background. More astute guests will notice a sign next to the staircase leading upwards reading "In July of 1674, the bodies of two boys were discovered in an elm chest under this area's former staircase. This plaque remains here to ensure that they are not forgotten." Guests however will not be going up this staircase in the queue, but rather through a back room behind the altar used for storing the chapel's goods. Following another doorway guests enter a servant's hallway with windows overlooking the tower's left courtyard, overlooking the comparatively more pleasant Tower Green... pleasant that is until guests spot an ax and stone column, used for executing traitors to the crown. Beyond this spot lies a graveyard, the final resting place of several famous tower prisoners including Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard. At the end of the hallway is a stairway into the basement, where our pre-show takes place - a cast member stands at the top of the stairs, and lets guests in once the show is ready to start.

-----

I used The White Tower as a placeholder name, and it can be edited to whatever we end up calling the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom