Team Mist: SYWTBAI Season 14, Project Five Open Brainstorming

mickeyfan5534

Hammer is interesting, but a slight bit too campy for what I think that we should be going for. I'd definitely go towards the style, but not necessarily the content, if that makes sense.
Absolutely what I meant when I said Hammer. Those dark, moody films are the perfect style for this. I'm thinking we tie in the music hall to the backstory. Like an occultist is performing and something goes wrong.

JokersWild

Absolutely what I meant when I said Hammer. Those dark, moody films are the perfect style for this. I'm thinking we tie in the music hall to the backstory. Like an occultist is performing and something goes wrong.
Totally. I do think that it could be interesting to also sort of attempt to explore the debunkers of seances and occultists. Harry Houdini was infamous for debunking mystics, as an example. Could be an interesting place to take this.

Idea: what if this was a flatride? I think I'm coming at it from the wrong place because I'm constantly reminded of a madhouse-style flatride that Six Flags New England and Great Adventure have that involves summoning Harry Houdini from the dead. I just think that a flatride could possibly be a unique approach if we differentiate ourselves enough from that.

mickeyfan5534

Totally. I do think that it could be interesting to also sort of attempt to explore the debunkers of seances and occultists. Harry Houdini was infamous for debunking mystics, as an example. Could be an interesting place to take this.

Idea: what if this was a flatride? I think I'm coming at it from the wrong place because I'm constantly reminded of a madhouse-style flatride that Six Flags New England and Great Adventure have that involves summoning Harry Houdini from the dead. I just think that a flatride could possibly be a unique approach if we differentiate ourselves enough from that.
But would it end up grand enough? I think that there's a lack of flats in Epcot but that a general carnival ride would end up killing the atmosphere.

JokersWild

But would it end up grand enough? I think that there's a lack of flats in Epcot but that a general carnival ride would end up killing the atmosphere.
I agree and disagree. Naturally, if we theme it well enough, and flesh it out as an experience, it could be plenty grand. Look into Tomb Raider: The Ride, if you don't believe me. I don't necessarily think that a flatride is the way to go. It was just an off the cuff idea.

DisneyManOne

Sorry I haven't been posting much. Anyways, I just got an idea for our ride. Imagine...we're the newest recruits for the Officers of the Guard, and we're being sent out to find some of Victorian England's most dangerous criminals--Spring Heeled Jack, Sweeney Todd, William Palmer, and perhaps the most dangerous of all, Jack the Ripper! What do you think?

mickeyfan5534

Sorry I haven't been posting much. Anyways, I just got an idea for our ride. Imagine...we're the newest recruits for the Officers of the Guard, and we're being sent out to find some of Victorian England's most dangerous criminals--Spring Heeled Jack, Sweeney Todd, William Palmer, and perhaps the most dangerous of all, Jack the Ripper! What do you think?
I think we've moved to a more Victorian Occult theme. Perhaps we can go for a mix of these two? Ghostbusters meets Victorian Gothic of sorts?

JokersWild

I'm kinda on the same page as Mickeyfan in terms of the Occult. As much as I'd absolutely love to have Jack the Ripper and the like, I don't know how to even begin translating that as a ride. By which I mean, that it would be really weird to have a moving ride centered around poisoners and knife-wielders. Unless we relegated them to the queue, which could work.

I'd also stay away from ghostbusters. I'd really like to keep this occult-based, moody, and gothic/ Victorian.

Also, for simplicity's sake, if no one minds, I would not be opposed to taking team leader this round.

Snoopy

I'll second @JokersWild as team leader.

If we're going with a more occult vibe, maybe guests are going through a drive in the London evening fog and get swept up in something sinister? I'm not quite sure what. :oops:

mickeyfan5534

What about a haunted theatre show? So many theatre legends come from the UK that it'd fit really well.

EDIT: Joseph Grimaldi, John Baldwin Buckstone, and The Man in Grey in Drury Lane's Theatre Royal, Bath's Theatre Royal Butterfly. And then the reason for the existence of the Ghost Light.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Ok guys, with two days left we should probably hammer out what we're going to do story-wise. I'll vote with going in the occult direction if people feel that it will be the strongest option.

As far as divvying up the project, how do we want to do it? I can't imagine it will be a particularly long ride, so who will work on what?

Snoopy

So then to get us all on the same page, what type of ride system did we want to do? I know I had suggested a dark ride earlier, but a flat ride and a theater show have also been suggested.

mickeyfan5534

I think theatre show would fit best. Load it with all sorts of special effects and play with the idea of 'The Most Haunted Theatre in the World' and theatre superstitions.

JokersWild

Let's stay away from theatre superstition. Frankly, this project is kinda getting out of hand as it is, between us not being able to solidify an idea or ride system and the slew of ideas floating around.

I'm personally partial to a flatride experience similar to Tomb Raider: The Ride. Basically, there would be an extended queue, followed by a walking section in small groups ending with a preshow. The actual ride would be a highly themed flatride/ effects show.

I think the real question, however, is figuring out the story. I still really like the Occult and seance idea set in an old Victorian theatre. If we wanted to, we could pretty easily build from there into secret societies and more Alistair Crowley-type stuff.

EDIT: Secondary idea: what if we set this in the Tower of London? It's iconic, and it has a ton of legends/ mystery, and a deep history surrounding it.

Snoopy

The Tower of London would definitely be a striking symbol in the back of the pavilion. I know the assignment calls for the attraction to be an E-ticket, so I don't know if a flat ride would fit the criteria.

Honestly, I'm a bit partial to the idea of mixing the legends and mythology of the tower. It may be a good way to marry the occult concept as well - part of the attraction could be in the lower levels of the tower, where we could focus on spooky stuff like that.

EDIT: in terms of ride systems, what about something like the Transformers ride system? It would allow us to use elevators to let cars travel through different floors of the Tower of London, while also letting us keep a dark ride feel to the attraction.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Ok guys, I'm going to be gone for a good deal of today and tomorrow. If everyone's ok with it I'll volunteer to work on the exterior and queue of our attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom