Team Mist: SYWTBAI Season 14, Project Five Open Brainstorming

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Season 14, Project Five: Legend of the Lost Legend
terracottaall.jpg

Based on DisneyFreak59's "Legend of the Lost Army" Project from Season One

This is a true "Mount Rushmore" of projects submitted for the game. An early, classic concept that left an imprint on the entire game and all those who played it afterwards. A true testament to the creativity these kinds of competitions can bring out in you. In the semi-finals round of Season One, eventual winner DisneyFreak59 presented her "Legend of the Lost Army" concept, an E Ticket for the China pavilion focusing on the stone Tera Cotta soldiers of Chinese mythology. The project was ambitious, detailed, well written, and unlike anything anyone had ever seen before. It truly gave future players a high bar to reach up towards.

For this project, you'll be attempting to recreate some of that Legend of the Lost Army magic by creating an EPCOT E Ticket of your very own. Your E Ticket must be placed in a World Showcase pavilion and be centered around an element of mythology or folklore from the country it's located. Absolutely NO IPs are allowed. Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, March 10th at 11:59 PM Eastern.

JokersWild

Hey, guys. Great job last project. Even though we lost, we still put out something pretty great.

So I got about half way through writing a post about how we should base a project on Japanese mythology, but inspiration struck, and I think that we could pull off something incredible, and really different, with a ride based in Victorian London focusing around the folklore and superstition of the time. Hear me out.

There's a ton of folklore surrounding London in the late-1800s. Jack the Ripper (which I've gotten the approval to use from the judges,) Spring Heeled Jack, and a bunch of other more sinister and darker characters could give us a more adult edge above the other teams. I'm just going to put it out there right now that I already feel super passionate about this idea and I think it could work exceptionally well, if we do it correctly. This could be a really cool scary ride, which is something that Disney has lacked recently.

Welp, off to do research.

JokersWild

Ok. Sorry for three posts in a row, but I think I'm getting somewhere.

One of the big superstitions in Victorian London was the occult. I think that we could really take this somewhere. Big theme on ghosts and the occult. Seances and the like, while also focusing on some of London's more sinister (mostly legendary) denizens, such as Jack the Ripper and Spring-Heel'd Jack. This could be a really cool, really dark and moody attraction that would be pretty indicative of England and its' culture during one of the most iconic periods in its' history.

mickeyfan5534

There are far too many epic stories
Ok. Sorry for three posts in a row, but I think I'm getting somewhere.

One of the big superstitions in Victorian London was the occult. I think that we could really take this somewhere. Big theme on ghosts and the occult. Seances and the like, while also focusing on some of London's more sinister (mostly legendary) denizens, such as Jack the Ripper and Spring-Heel'd Jack. This could be a really cool, really dark and moody attraction that would be pretty indicative of England and its' culture during one of the most iconic periods in its' history.
Going off this, the facade could be a Victorian Music Hall. A gothic horror ride would just be absolutely brilliant.

JokersWild

There are far too many epic stories

Going off this, the facade could be a Victorian Music Hall. A gothic horror ride would just be absolutely brilliant.
That could be an interesting idea for the facade. I'm going to do a bit more research throughout the day, and post what I find/ updated ideas regarding this idea.

Snoopy

Sorry I haven't been active lately, just got finished with a nine-day stint at work. :eek:

I like the Victorian horror element of your idea @JokersWild. Design-wise it strikes me as very much an Epcot version of the Haunted Mansion - if they were to build an attraction like that, I'm guessing this is along the lines of what they'd come up with.

As for ride vehicles, I think an omnimover may be a little too on-the-nose for a ride like this. I'm thinking maybe a six-seater dark ride car? Like the design of the Mr. Toad cars crossed with the capacity of the Snow White vehicles. A jerky old-fashioned dark ride may help add to the atmosphere that we're trying to convey.

JokersWild

Sorry I haven't been active lately, just got finished with a nine-day stint at work. :eek:

I like the Victorian horror element of your idea @JokersWild. Design-wise it strikes me as very much an Epcot version of the Haunted Mansion - if they were to build an attraction like that, I'm guessing this is along the lines of what they'd come up with.

As for ride vehicles, I think an omnimover may be a little too on-the-nose for a ride like this. I'm thinking maybe a six-seater dark ride car? Like the design of the Mr. Toad cars crossed with the capacity of the Snow White vehicles. A jerky old-fashioned dark ride may help add to the atmosphere that we're trying to convey.
That could be really cool. I'm definitely on the same page as you in terms of not making this an omnimover. I also really like the idea of a Toad-type ride system. Honestly, my initial thought was an EMV, but I'm down for pretty much anything.

I think that the main thing that we really need to work on is story and atmosphere. We shouldn't make this too complicated, but I do think that this is the type of ride that would benefit from a story.

The only solid idea I have right now is to have a seance in the preshow. Perhaps the queue is in a Victorian mansion in the back of the pavilion. Guests are brought into a seance room where the preshow is held. Stuff happens. Perhaps spirits get released? Then you go to the ride.

Honestly, I'm slightly conflicted in terms of the direction. I love the idea of some of the more tangible legends (ie Jack the Ripper, and Spring Heel'd Jack), but I think the occult, ghosts, hell, and the like, might suit the whole experience better. It would be insanely dark, but it could be really cool. Alistair Crowley-type stuff. What do you guys think? If I'm making sense at all?

Also, we need a team leader. I believe that it's open to everyone now.

DisneyManOne

Maybe the vehicle could be a combo of both--combining the EMV technology with the small size and jerkiness of Mr. Toad?

Also, I know this may technically qualify as an IP--thanks to one Stephen Sondheim--but Sweeney Todd (the Demon Barber of Fleet Street) made his first appearance in a penny dreadful called The String of Pearls, and he's been a staple of Victorian melodrama and urban legend long before they made a musical about him. With that in mind, I'm considering asking Tiki or MEW if it would be alright to use him.

JokersWild

Maybe the vehicle could be a combo of both--combining the EMV technology with the small size and jerkiness of Mr. Toad?

Also, I know this may technically qualify as an IP--thanks to one Stephen Sondheim--but Sweeney Todd (the Demon Barber of Fleet Street) made his first appearance in a penny dreadful called The String of Pearls, and he's been a staple of Victorian melodrama and urban legend long before they made a musical about him. With that in mind, I'm considering asking Tiki or MEW if it would be alright to use him.
I didn't even think about Sweeney Todd. I don't think that he'd be a bad idea to ask about. I'm not entirely sure how exactly to use these characters, though, which is why I was starting to sway towards more of an occult focus.

JokersWild

Tiki said we can use Sweeney, as long as there's no references to the musical.
That makes sense.

How do we want to take this, then? I'm personally leaning more towards the occult aspect, because that would be a bit easier to portray in a theme park, but I love the idea of the Victorian Rogues Gallery as well.

mickeyfan5534

The only solid idea I have right now is to have a seance in the preshow. Perhaps the queue is in a Victorian mansion in the back of the pavilion. Guests are brought into a seance room where the preshow is held. Stuff happens. Perhaps spirits get released? Then you go to the ride.
I'd much rather use a Music Hall. There's something very Victorian Gothic about those old London music halls and it'd set the tone perfectly. I like the occult idea. I'll find some old Victorian tales we can use.

EDIT: Here's an amazing BBC adaptation of Charles Dickens' The Signal Man. This sort of tone is what I'd like in the project.

We could also go full Hammer Horror. Britain has such a long and amazing history of the occult that our choices are endless.

JokersWild

I'd much rather use a Music Hall. There's something very Victorian Gothic about those old London music halls and it'd set the tone perfectly. I like the occult idea. I'll find some old Victorian tales we can use.

EDIT: Here's an amazing BBC adaptation of Charles Dickens' The Signal Man. This sort of tone is what I'd like in the project.

We could also go full Hammer Horror. Britain has such a long and amazing history of the occult that our choices are endless.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that this could work. I guess that I was thinking about something a lot bigger, but a smaller theater could work incredibly for the facade/ queue. If any of you have seen The Illusionist, that's kind of what I'm thinking.

Hammer is interesting, but a slight bit too campy for what I think that we should be going for. I'd definitely go towards the style, but not necessarily the content, if that makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom