TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Mike S

Planet of the Apes is an excellent choice. Or Guardians of the Galaxy (for those who want MODERN and CONTEMPORARY)

I love the Alien scene but that screams for a Star Wars light saber battle. Man I want a Star Wars dark ride.
Why would Alien have to go for Star Wars though? Can they not coexist?

Kman101

Why would Alien have to go for Star Wars though? Can they not coexist?

They can. I just personally see Star Wars there for some reason. Where the awful animatronic is I think it'd be the perfect view of a light saber battle. I don't know. I've just thought that for the longest. But Tarzan is the scene that needs replacing the most. I'd rather not see Alien go, although I'd rather see Alien and Star Wars have their own elaborate dark rides. And they could change out Indy by moving those scenes to a new ride as well. Boom, several spots and new rides, but that's totally arm-chair imagineering it. LOL.

Mike S

Pretty sure we will not need Star Wars in this attraction, considering the other rumors for Star Wars...
I know. It's just speculation on possible scenes they can add in if they ever wanted to. Whenever Star Wars is suggested a lot of people seem to say it should replace Alien and I'm just wondering why. Because they're both in space?

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is the same company that released Westward Ho the Wagons! (a movie shot in CinemaScope) to DVD in 2011 with a pan and scan transfer, because it was cheaper to recycle an existing home video master than do a new print scan and restoration.

Well doing full film restores isn't trivial or necessarily cheap. Not sure I draw the same parallels here. There is a ton of content they could put out 'as is'. Their backlog is monsterous... instead we get the same 3-4 series in reruns all day long as 'disney channel' :(

People should recognize my avatar as the image from when the Disney Channel actually showed all that catalog of Disney live film, etc :(

aladdin2007

Love this. I wouldn't be surprised if, long term, this is like the Siemens sponsorship (if TCM finds it fruitful). It took some time after Siemens came in before the SSE update began. If I remember correctly, they did the post show first.

dont want to start all this again as I know its been discussed round and round, but they didnt exactly ever finish the job, or demand Disney to. That has been a sponsorship I have been greatly disapointed in.

Animaniac93-98

Not sure I draw the same parallels here.

It's about understanding, respecting and recognizing an audience. Compare releases done through Warner Archive and Disney Movie Club and you can see the difference. Doing the least amount of work possible is reflective of Disney's attitude towards its catalog. A company that thinks 80s VHS transfers are good enough for DVD, or has no interest in printing physical discs for release (on demand or in general quantities) will not go to the trouble of managing a cable channel just to show "old stuff". As crazy as it sounds, Disney still thinks those re-runs at 3:00am provide more marketing value than showing episodes of Zorro or the Mickey Mouse Club.

The content "as is" is what is being uploaded to itunes and Disney Movies Anywhere. I will note that some of it is finally getting the restoration work that should have been done years ago, but not all of it. It should also be said that Disney greatly prefers people pay every time they want to view this content instead of a flat monthly subscription fee and that's probably the #1 reason why a cable channel hasn't been an option for consumers.

EDIT: Poor quality DVDs with minimal advertising tend not to sell large quantities. Neither do limited print runs like the WDT line. This reinforces Disney's idea that the audience for this kind of content is small and not worth pursuing much.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Recap of why this is great news:

1. The Great Movie Ride is not leaving.
2. It is not going to be "dumbed down" to cater to children or be filled with Disney films.
3. TCM will give new riders a better idea of what to expect out of the attraction and may even gain new found respect from people that would have previously deemed it "outdated and dull."
4. It will likely receive a reasonable refresh (though expecting scene replacements is probably wishful thinking).

Soarin' Over Pgh

Wow! Exciting news!

And good call on that one, PhotoDave! I knew I should have listened when you said that it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. I won't doubt you again. :inlove: Or will I? :cautious:

I'm also rather intrigued by the Disney vault of old stuff...oh, there could be some goodies in there.

I think this is a win for us and a win for the park that'll sorely need some attractions once the construction starts. Can't wait to see what they decided to add and/or change!

I probably shouldn't get my hopes up but I'd love...LOVE a tribute to Mickey throughout the years.

Especially the black n white Mickey cartoons. Gah. :inlove:

Tom Morrow

Based on my last few rides, what it really needs are CMs that care about the script they are given. The last ride was so bad I couldn't pick one word out of her bored mumble.
I see this complaint a lot, but I personally have only once ever gotten a CM that wasn't a good spieler. Frequently, however, the onboard speakers are too quiet and/or cut out, so it might seem like the CM isn't enthusiastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom