TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Goofyernmost

You misunderstood me, man. I'm talking about Great Movie Ride. I love the silliness of the Jungle Cruise, the jokes speak for themselves and make me laugh almost always. I'm speaking of a terrible experience I had on Great Movie Ride. Totally different ride.
You are correct, I did think that you were talking about the Jungle Cruise. I apologize for that, however, I also did reference the GMR in my post.
Even the worse I have ever seen (that would be about a 90 year old female gangster on the GMR) was at best unconvincing, but, was at least amusing.
But, I also said that it was more amusing then horrible. It's just a different way of looking at things. GMR is another ride that I have been riding for years and with the exception of that one, the CM's were really quite good. I don't wish to judge, as if it is the norm, the entire attraction by one less then stellar experience.

JohnD

This past Sunday, "For the first time in forever" (couldn't resist), my car went past the gangster scene and stopped at the western scene where our car was hijacked by a cowboy. Every other time I rode, it was always a gangster who hijacked our car.

champdisney

This past Sunday, "For the first time in forever" (couldn't resist), my car went past the gangster scene and stopped at the western scene where our car was hijacked by a cowboy. Every other time I rode, it was always a gangster who hijacked our car.
Sounds like a change in the script.

PinnySmart

Those cast make less than Walmart workers. They make $9 an hour. They are told by management over and over again NOT to act. I know people who have gotten in trouble for "acting too much." They are suppose to just "mark it" and go through the motions. Because Disney doesn't want it to be an acting role (even though it is) because Disney doesn't want to pay them what they deserve. Don't you dare blame the Cast, most of which don't even get to pick if they go to GMR or not, for Disney refusing to pay what they deserve.
I think "don't you dare blame the Cast member" is a little strong. The general public has no idea about different pay scales at Disney. All they know is that is was a lousy and unenthusiastic performance. The job they are doing may be worth more than they are being paid but it is their job. I don't think I get paid enough for my job but that doesn't mean that I don't do it to the best of my ability. It's called work ethic.

JohnD

This is correct. As far as I know it has always been this way. I think it may just be the gangster during slow times when only one tram is dispatched.

Went six times previously. It was always the gangster. Maybe I was on the second car every time. But this time I do remember being directed up to the first car.

Goofyernmost

I think "don't you dare blame the Cast member" is a little strong. The general public has no idea about different pay scales at Disney. All they know is that is was a lousy and unenthusiastic performance. The job they are doing may be worth more than they are being paid but it is their job. I don't think I get paid enough for my job but that doesn't mean that I don't do it to the best of my ability. It's called work ethic.
Perhaps it was the best of their ability! Everybody's got to start somewhere.

Biff215

Went six times previously. It was always the gangster. Maybe I was on the second car every time. But this time I do remember being directed up to the first car.
We tend to catch the gangster most of the time too, but it does depend on how busy the park is and how many cars are being dispatched.

Goofyernmost

This is correct. As far as I know it has always been this way. I think it may just be the gangster during slow times when only one tram is dispatched.
Yup, it's been that way for years, if not since it was first opened. Based just on the sequence of the scenes it makes perfect sense when operating in full mode the front one would stop at the Cowboy scene and the second at the gangster scene. When not busy and only using on train they used the Gangster scene because it was cheaper to operate (what with the fire and all). They don't give that flammable stuff away for free.

Biff215

The jungle Cruise is meant to be a farce. Make it into a Greek tragedy if you want, but, it was designed as a fun, totally non-serious ride through not even closely replicated areas of the world.

And I wasn't being rude, I was making a factual, general statement. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't put it on. If you want to find a way to make it horrible, be my guest. I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the silliness. High quality was never aimed for nor achieved. How many high quality ways are there to say... "And now the backside of water"?
I agree, but there is still some who are better than others. Our last trip was the first time I have ever been tempted to send a comment (although I didn't). The CM was clearly done for the day and literally ran through the script as quickly as he could in a monotone voice. At first I thought he was trying to be funny, but it only got worse, to the point where he wouldn't even pause between the joke and the punchline.

Equally annoying were some guests (possibly CM's) who started to show their displeasure while trying to correct his missed jokes. Needless to say my young kids walked off completely confused with the whole experience.

I get that they're going through the same spiel and not paid well, but as someone else pointed out, you should still do your job well. I'm not expecting an Oscar worthy performance, just someone who tries to make it an equally fun experience for each guest.

PinnySmart

Perhaps it was the best of their ability! Everybody's got to start somewhere.
If it was their best then bravo! I doubt I could do the spiel very well at all even if I gave it my all. I really wasn't trying to knock anyone I just doubt very many guests are thinking "hey this really stinks but it's ok because he only makes $9 instead of $15 like he deserves". I personally think Cast Members should all make a heck of a lot more than they do. They really put up with a lot from the public and most do it all with a smile.

TheGhostWithTheMost

I get that they're going through the same spiel and not paid well, but as someone else pointed out, you should still do your job well. I'm not expecting an Oscar worthy performance, just someone who tries to make it an equally fun experience for each guest.
In the past few weeks, most skipper have been getting close to 70 scheduled when they did not ask for overtime. It's just hard when Disney runs the Cast that ragged and pays them next to nothing. Jungle Cruise should be $15-$20 an hour.

ABQ

Just posted by Caitlin, super hard working CM @ the GMR, new item in the queue.
https://instagram.com/p/28ab2DyMfJ/
11324410_991595544192821_651242580_n.jpg

"...
one of Ingrid Bergman's gowns from the film Gaslight."

Kevin_W

We've ridden this a bunch and only had the cowboy once. I remember wondering why the heck we were passing the gangster scene without being hijacked!

Thrill Seeker

The Jungle Cruise spiel guide starts with a page that literally says that the cast members are not stand up comedians and that the skipper shouldn't "act" funny.

Equity came in a few years ago (well...more than a few years ago) and tried to demand that these roles be entertainment and audition only (as they should be). So Disney started to train that the Cast Members "spiel" and not that Cast Members "entertain." Cast at Jungle/GMR are trained to say their spiel...and that's it. Anything else (especially at GMR) can get Cast in trouble.

The biggest thing here is that the operations cast want to keep GMR (especialy character rolls) as an operations position. That involves higher restrictions for what they can and can't do on their tours as well as lower pay. The upside is they can still do the roll...

Bartattack

Anybody know what the red button does (or used to do) at the bottom of the 'temple scene' where the castmember goes up to steal the diamond? I noticed that there's a button at the top that they have to press to activate the 'smoke & skeleteon' scene. but there's also a button at the bottom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom