TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Kman101

According to the Orlando Sentinel online article it's a 5 year deal between TCM and Disney. Which interestingly enough likely carries it through whatever makeover the park gets. Could be interesting come 2019 if they do decide to do something else once the park is up to snuff elsewhere. But let's enjoy this news and not worry about that, lol

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Bad day maybe, but in 1989, it was astounding

YES! That was outstanding!! It's really, really sad how Disney just basically stopped maintaining this ride to keep it as amazing as it was in 1989! Even Tarzan was in pretty good condition! It's just really pretty sad now. Especially looking back to that video.

Marc Gil

YES! That was outstanding!! It's really, really sad how Disney just basically stopped maintaining this ride to keep it as amazing as it was in 1989! Even Tarzan was in pretty good condition! It's just really pretty sad now. Especially looking back to that video.
I wouldn't say it's in deplorable condition, but it could use some TLC. Some AA tuning and a nice dusting will do.

I went on two weeks ago, it looked great, but the AA motion is a definitely slower than how the ride was brand new. No static figures, besides Footlight Parade.

Suspirian

The problem is that the most appropriate films for that section happen to be owned by another theme park company- what princesses are to Disney, monsters are to Universal. There are very very few other horror movies that are both iconic enough and Disney appropriate to put in there. Of course, Disney could always surprise; after all, they ponied up the dosh to acquire theme park rights for the Alien franchise, and the... undertones of those movies are rather unambiguous.

Poltergiest, Nosferatu, And Night of the Living Dead could work

Last edited:

Little Green Men

I really hope that's a bad analogy, because they really botched the ride descent during that refurbishment (would have been fine left alone).

Uh, not really. Thing likes skype and live streams make most of the old finale dated. If they left it completely the same the AAs at the end would look terrible compared to the rest of the AAs which were upgraded. People would be complaining that they left the "future" scenes in the 90's like COP. Besides SSE's finale from 1982- 1994 was pretty much screens and lights during the descent, wasn't it? I'm not saying it's perfect but its better than leaving a relic of the past to what's supposed to be the future, IMHO.

Goofyernmost

Uh, not really. Thing likes skype and live streams make most of the old finale dated. If they left it completely the same the AAs at the end would look terrible compared to the rest of the AAs which were upgraded. People would be complaining that they left the "future" scenes in the 90's like COP. Besides SSE's finale from 1982- 1994 was pretty much screens and lights during the descent, wasn't it? I'm not saying it's perfect but its better than leaving a relic of the past to what's supposed to be the future, IMHO.
Yup, it is amazing how some conveniently forget how many "screens" that Disney has used over the years. The entire "Mission to Mars" ride there when it first opened up in 1972 relied primarily on screens for the entire attraction except the preshow.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well according to Lou's world... the changes are

• TCM branding will be integrated into the attraction’s marquee, as well, new exhibits curated by Turner Classic Movies will be placed in the display windows outside of the attraction.
  • Also outside, guests will find a new attraction poster and banners hanging from the facade.
  • In the queue, guests will find find new digital movie posters and a new pre-show video hosted by TCM’s Robert Osborne. Robert will give fascinating insight to movies guests will experience while on the ride.
  • The finale of the attraction will indeed feature an all-new montage of classic movie moments.
  • After exiting, guests will have a photo opportunity with a classic movie theme.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
image.jpg

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Yup, it is amazing how some conveniently forget how many "screens" that Disney has used over the years. The entire "Mission to Mars" ride there when it first opened up in 1972 relied primarily on screens for the entire attraction except the preshow.

I can add onto this list!

-Cranium Command
-If You Had Wings/Dreamflight
-El Rio Del Tiempo
-Universe of Energy
-The Time Keeper

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's cute that people actually think there's going to be any other changes than the pre and post-show movies and a new poster.
I fear that all of this run away speculation is going to leave many very disappointed. Everything I've read says all they are updating is the queue (probably just the exhibits and the movie) and the closing movie; nothing has been said about any updates or changes to any other part of the attraction. I fear that too much wishful thinking is going to lead to a wave of complaining when they do what they said they were doing vs what people wanted them to do.
Well, this post sorta hints at something a little more than just new movie clips and is the only comment I've seen from a reputable source.
Maybe more than just preshow and postshow movie clips. Don't expect an all-new GMR with all new scenes, but...

Kman101

The way Orlando Sentinel worded their story about it they made it seem like Osborne would be heard DURING the ride explaining the movies but I think they might have mixed up how he will be in the pre-show. Unless it's new info. But I haven't seen that anywhere except being suggested on here.

Ignohippo

This has to be one of the most confusing statements ever on this site.

Obscure? I'm dumbfounded how anyone could call films like Casablanca, Alien, Wizard of Oz, 'obscure'

Cheap? Again... just stupefied on how anyone can make such statements about the GMR.

Broken... stale... I get. Obscure and Cheap? Trollololo

Footlight Parade, The Public Enemy, The Searchers...

Obscure, Obscure, Obscure...

As for cheap, there are a million ways the ride could be updated (using some of the tech that Uni currently uses that cold be implemented) that could make it a lot more interesting, but the animatronics were 'meh' even when the thing was first built.

I put it in the same vein as CoP. Some people may like it for the nostalgia, but you don't pay $100 to get into a Disney park for nostalgia (and this comes from someone who hates change and is very much a traditionalist). But, CoP and GMR have WAY outlived their usefulness and either need to be either drastically updated or replaced completely.

EDIT: I would add Spaceship Earth to that list as well...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom