11:45pm

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: Disneyland Around the Seasons

1:00am

Those Calloways

3:30am

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: A Country Coyote Goes to Hollywood

4:15pm

Midnight Madness

Who/what is your source for this schedule? Not doubting it, you always have it right. Just wondering where you find it this soon.

Matt_Black

Caught a little of this last night. Fun. I forgot how well the actor who played Mike Fink hammed up his "big galoot" role.

SosoDude

I watched Midnight Madness this morning. I had never heard of this movie before. A few things I noticed :
A young Michael J Fox has a roll in this.
Pee Wee Herman has a small bit part. Never knew he worked for Disney in any capacity.
A Star Wars video game is featured in this movie, but Disney changed the name. Funny now that Star Wars is now a Disney property.

It looks like in the early eighties, Disney was trying to expand type of audience thier movies attracted. This almost seemed to be Disney's attempt at a Revenge of the Nerds movie. Lots of jock/nerd humor. Close up, behind shots of ladies in tight shorts. Lots of beer drinking. Mellons references. Lots of humor based on obesity. Pretty tame by todays standards but odd for Disney in 1980.

Anyway, fun movie and glad I gave it a chance.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I watched Midnight Madness this morning. I had never heard of this movie before. A few things I noticed :
A young Michael J Fox has a roll in this.
Pee Wee Herman has a small bit part. Never knew he worked for Disney in any capacity.
A Star Wars video game is featured in this movie, but Disney changed the name. Funny now that Star Wars is now a Disney property.

It looks like in the early eighties, Disney was trying to expand type of audience thier movies attracted. This almost seemed to be Disney's attempt at a Revenge of the Nerds movie. Lots of jock/nerd humor. Close up, behind shots of ladies in tight shorts. Lots of beer drinking. Mellons references. Lots of humor based on obesity. Pretty tame by todays standards but odd for Disney in 1980.

Anyway, fun movie and glad I gave it a chance.

When Midnight Madness was first released, the Disney name was absent from both the film and any marketing materials. You're right about Disney wanting to do a college comedy, but this was before the Touchstone name was created, so Disney's solution was just to not have their name on it at all. It wasn't until the movie's 2004 DVD release that the Disney logo was put on the cover.

It was also Michael J Fox's first movie (I think).

SosoDude

When Midnight Madness was first released, the Disney name was absent from both the film and any marketing materials. You're right about Disney wanting to do a college comedy, but this was before the Touchstone name was created, so Disney's solution was just to not have their name on it at all. It wasn't until the movie's 2004 DVD release that the Disney logo was put on the cover.

It was also Michael J Fox's first movie (I think).

I didn't know that. Cool.

So, my 10yo son has watched this movie about a dozen times since last weekend. I asked why he likes it so much, and he just says " I dunno..." . Any way, I noticed a few more odd things.

1. They show the Mickey Mouse star on the Hollywood walk of fame. I guess that could possibly be considered the first "Hidden Mickey", since this was not released as a Disney movie to begin with.
2. Leon, the game controller, has his base of operations set up in the Hollywood Tower Hotel at the start of the movie.

Sorry to bring back a dead topic about a so-so movie, but I wanted to share these other observations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom