Perri (1957) - 8:00pm

Old Yeller (1957) - 9:30pm

The Littlest Outlaw (1955) - 11:15pm

Shorts: The Ugly Duckling (1939) & The Tortoise and the Hare (1935) - 12:45am

The Ugly Dachshund (1966) - 1:15am

A Tale of Two Critters (1977) - 3:00am

Sammy, the Way-Out Seal - (1962) - 4:00am

prberk

Just a reminder that tonight is the next installment of the TCM Treasures from the Disney Vault series.

I have a friend who loves the classic Disney films also, and he sent me an e-mail with some descriptions and commentary that you might find useful of the programs tonight. Here is the text of his e-mail:

The ninth (my December issue of the Now Playing guide says "eighth," but the September issue also said "eighth," so I believe this is really the ninth) installment of Treasures from the Disney Vault will air on Turner Classic Movies on Wednesday, December 21, 2016. Every film is a TCM premiere with the exception of Old Yeller (1958) and the animated shorts The Ugly Duckling (1939) and The Tortoise and the Hare (1935). Leonard Maltin will once again serve as the evening's host.

Old Yeller is always a favorite; I like Fess Parker and Chuck Connors. But there are lots of live action animal features this time, which I always loved when done with the Disney touch:

Perri (1957): Unusual Disney film combines elements of BAMBI with True-Life nature photography, in a romanticized look at a squirrel through the cycle of four seasons in the forest. Based on Felix Salten's book.

The Ugly Dachshund (1966) stars several of my favorites, including Dean Jones (who passed away last year), Suzanne Pleshette, and Charlie Ruggles. And it is directed by one of my favorites, Norman Tokar, who directed many episodes of Leave It to Beaver.

A Tale of Two Critters (1977): A bear cub and a raccoon become fast friends when they're swept away down a river, away from their families.

Sammy, the Way Out Seal (1962), is a two-part TV episode from Disney's Wonderful World of Color. This one is also directed by the great Norman Tokar.

The full schedule can be found here:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-12-21

And if you are young (or old!) and have not ever seen Old Yeller, I strongly recommend you watch or record it tonight. It is a well-known landmark film, and for good reason. Every kid should see this coming-of-age, boy-and-his dog story that really is a story about life and facing adversity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom