Taxi drivers protest fees, Disney shuttle

lentesta

Premium Member
They're being squeezed on both sides. $110 for a round-trip ride is too close to the cost of having a compact car for four or five days, and not nearly as convenient. (My 4-day rental for this weekend is $124, including tax, for a mid-size.) So if money is not extremely tight, I'd choose the car. And if I'm staying off-site, towncars and cabs aren't a viable option.

If money's more of an issue, then DME wins for on-site guests, too.

I just don't see how the livery association is going to make a go of it with $3 gas and $850/week in lease costs, competing against "free" and "more convenient."

Len

lscott933

there is a great article on mouseplanet.com about DME service today on there website. they go into the whole dme and say that it is good. they tell how it working.

Glasgow

I have to agree with the 'Free trial' theory - I think Disney will start charging a minimal fee after about a year or so, once most competition has moved from the airport. If you don't think Disney knows that they are going to run other livery services out of business, I don't think you know how business works - Disney knows all of the angles. They may not have done this intentionally but they sure as heck know the consequences of offering DME.

The only problem with that theory is that once DME starts charging, other transport groups will filter back to the airport and start offering cheaper service again at some point. It's a big, drawn out cycle!!

FanofDinsey1981

we use quicksilver still, my mom is a BAD traveler. the quicker we get her to our destination, the BETTER!

And quicksilver is a very good service. :)

NTI2002

You know, I stinks that people are losing money from Magical Express, but quite frankly, I don't realy care. With the amount of money I have to pay to go to disneyworld, It's about time they offer to pick me up from the airport for free!

wannab@dis

Original Poster
Glasgow said:
I have to agree with the 'Free trial' theory - I think Disney will start charging a minimal fee after about a year or so, once most competition has moved from the airport. If you don't think Disney knows that they are going to run other livery services out of business, I don't think you know how business works - Disney knows all of the angles. They may not have done this intentionally but they sure as heck know the consequences of offering DME.

The only problem with that theory is that once DME starts charging, other transport groups will filter back to the airport and start offering cheaper service again at some point. It's a big, drawn out cycle!!

I assume that was pointed at me and I would counter, that yes, I do know how business works.

I just don't see the livery part of DME as a cash cow for Disney. They are not providing this to make money from the trasporation and are probably ready to lose some dollars to get more people onsite. It's called a loss leader.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
wannab@dis said:
I assume that was pointed at me and I would counter, that yes, I do know how business works.

I just don't see the livery part of DME as a cash cow for Disney. They are not providing this to make money from the trasporation and are probably ready to lose some dollars to get more people onsite. It's called a loss leader.

Ding ding ding!!! The cost of DME is far outweighed by the advantage of having a captive guest for their entire stay. Especially since the costs were higher at the beginning, and now are less that the service is up and running.

Glasgow

wannab@dis said:

I honestly didn't mean any disrespect Wannab@dis - I'm just stating that I'm sure Disney has looked at this from all angles and that they knew the reprecussions of offering DME. I'm pretty sure one of the side effects is that many livery services will go out of business and that could possibly lead to a cash making or at least break even situation for Disney if they decide to start charging.

I'm not taking sides here though - on the hand I'd like to be compassionate to the driver's situation, but on the other hand they probably wouldn't have a job if not for the huge amount of tourists that Disney brings through MCO. Dunno

brich

Scooter said:
If you have read any of the articles on this story it makes perfect sense. :brick:

Why do you think the taxi drivers and Limo services are complaining?
HELLOOOOOOOOO!!!

They are losing business...and where I come from losing business means losing money..and losing money eventually means being out of business.
:rolleyes:
Maybe you should find out what DME is. Everybody is a business expert yet your basing all your expertise on articles focused on the disgruntled livery companies. If your so well versed in business, then explain to all of us who the market is for DME. While your at it, tell us the market for the livery services. Let us know where you found the data that indicates that all passengers arriving at MCO are indeed WDW Resort guests. :eek:
Where I come from, you lose money, you find ways to make money. You don't stand there on the side lines crying foul. After all, the Walt Disney Company got to where they are by rolling over and crying when they are faced with competition. Remember when Universal started building theme parks in Orlando? Ya, I remember Disney striking on the streets, crying and suing yelling "not fair, not fair".... Pa Leeeze. :rolleyes:

brich

PhilharMagician said:
We go with the towncar. The charge for a rental car is just way to much. Then we also save more than we pay for the towncar with our grocery stop (lots of water, snacks, breakfast food, a bottle or 2 of wine). Another great thing is when you come down the escalator to the baggage claim area there is the driver with a board with your name on it. No worries from here till they drop us off to go home. To us it is a no brainer. A luxury trip with no added cost.
I will say that we have not even tried DME, but have been on Mears busses in the past and we were not pleased. You feel like you are in a cattle car kind of like the airplane ride you were just thankful to get off of.
We rented a limo when we did the Disney Cruise. A one way to the Poly for the few days prior to the Magic departure. It was a nice touch. But for all other stays, a rental for us is a must. We can escape to dine outside of WDW, which can be less expensive. We can go do grocery stops any time. Great when the kids get sick and you need to find a pharmacy. Plus, without a car, we don't get to make Krispy Kreme runs. The best part is not having to get in those cattle cars at the end of a long day at the park. I guarantee I get back to the resort before you do in the buses. And with the amount of discount codes out there for rentals, the price difference is not that much. But, to each his own. Your brain is yours and mine is mine so maybe we're both no brianers... :D

WDWCP

Scooter said:
In the past, my family has always hired a Towncar service.
On our October trip we are taking the Magical Express Bus.
Free versus $110 plus tip...it's a no brainer.

We never rent a car when we go to WDW because on the 2 occasions we did, it just sat in the parking lot of our resort. Disneys transportation system is all we need and it's the best.

I do feel sorry for the taxi drivers and the Towncar services. Disney is trying to run them out of business so they can start charging hefty fees for The Magical Express service.

With gas prices as high as they are, Disney has got to be taking a beating for all this free service, but it'll be worth it to them if they end up with a monopoly on transporting people to and from the airport.

And once that monopoly is established, Disney will have the option of starting a fee and making it steep if they want to. Once there is a fee for the service, the higher the fee, the more room for other cabs and shuttle services to come in and compete, so eventually, Disney would be limited in how much they could charge. Basics of market forces will eventually keep things in some sort of balance.

The thing with a cab or shuttle service is that there are very little barriers to entry into the buisness, so competition would come back VERY quickly if anyone found a good way to compete against Disney. Disney would only be able to maintain a monopoly on the service if they kept it free. As others have said here, keeping it a free service could be a great loss-leader for the company and could result in much higher profits overall over charging a fee for DME.

wannab@dis

Original Poster
brich said:
From what I read, someone said you don't know business... Nice buzzword bud... :lol:

I haven't and won't claim to know a lot about the ins and outs, but I know enough to see good marketing and business analysis when it's staring me in the face. Anyone will tell you that it takes money to make money. The cost of DME is insignificant when you have someone onsite with no transportation. Their spending is done in Disney restaurants, parks and retail outlets. Don't forget those trips to Krispy Kreme would be impossible! :lol:

ScrapIron

wannab@dis said:
I haven't and won't claim to know a lot about the ins and outs, but I know enough to see good marketing and business analysis when it's staring me in the face. Anyone will tell you that it takes money to make money. The cost of DME is insignificant when you have someone onsite with no transportation. Their spending is done in Disney restaurants, parks and retail outlets. Don't forget those trips to Krispy Kreme would be impossible! :lol:
Precisely. Disney is not doing this because they thought guests needed a perk. It's to keep people from spending a single dime in central Florida unless the Mouse gets a cut. No matter which side you take, no matter what you think of cabs, Mears, DME, rental cars, on site vs off site, Disney vs Universal, Godzilla vs Megalon or anything else, you are truly delusional if you don't grasp that simple fact.

Cheers.

brich

ScrapIron said:
Precisely. Disney is not doing this because they thought guests needed a perk. It's to keep people from spending a single dime in central Florida unless the Mouse gets a cut. No matter which side you take, no matter what you think of cabs, Mears, DME, rental cars, on site vs off site, Disney vs Universal, Godzilla vs Megalon or anything else, you are truly delusional if you don't grasp that simple fact.

Cheers.
Simple fact is grasped. And yet Disney created the market in which they are targeting with this service. All other Orlando markets can be serviced by the other livery services. To me, the DME service is taking care of those guests who already had the intentions of a WDW vacation and thats all. I have reasons to want to leave the property, therefore, I rent a car. I just don't see the big fuss. It's only a segment of the Orlando tourism market that is effected by DME and yet the cabbies and towncars make it seem that it's the only market. And if it is the only segement in the Orlando tourism market, then it's the one Disney created and the cabbies and towncars need to rebuild their business models less dependent on someone else's market segment... :eek:

frankd1962

brich said:
Sure sounds like a sure proof way of maintaining some of their livery business. Like I posted in previous threads on this topic. Only the strong survive. Make the changes needed to compete. Don't throw up your arms and pout. I'm feeling less and less sorry for these livery services. They best no interfere with my arrival at MCO in 2 weeks. Stay out of the way of my renatl car. I'm on vacation dang it!! :eek:

What I still don't ubderstand, and I'm sure someone can clear this up... :lookaroun
How many of you hire a towncar or a taxi to get to WDW from the airport? If the free Disney bus service was not an option, would any of you be hiring a towncar or cab??? :veryconfu

When I went in 2000, we used Mears to get to All Stars from the airport, We had it as part of the package we got through our travel agent. I'll use DME if it is in service when I go in 2007 or use Mears like before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom