Trip Report Tale of our adventures

My vacation started on August the 29th, and I returned back home to Chicago on September the 8th. It was a birthday trip for me, because my 69th birthday was on September the 4th. There were 6 of us all together traveling from Chicago to Pop Century for 7 nights, and then we would be moving from there to Cabana Bay at Universal Orlando. There were a few bumps in the road, but for the most part, we all had a super time.

My trip report is all collages. I will keep the commentary to a minimum.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
Everyone was lined up at about 6 or 7 deep on the parade route in Frontierland. When it came time for the parade, there was no headless horseman. No announcement. He just did not show up. The parade did however, and I did the best I could with both my camera, and my iPhone camera. My favorite float in the parade was that of the Hitchhiking ghosts.

2016-Sept,216.jpg
2016-Sept,217.jpg

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
After the parade, I got in line to meet Jack and Sally. They had great Nightmare Before Christmas decorations lining the pathway to where they were meeting guests. I was able to get some fairly decent photos, the closer I go to the popular pair.

2016-Sept,218.jpg

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
Just as the meet and greet was over, the fireworks were beginning. I grabbed the closest spot that I could find, and I took a small amount of photos. I then turned off my camera, and I just watched the magic appearing before my eyes in the night sky. So glad this night did not get rained out the way, the previous three had been.

2016-Sept,221.jpg

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I rested up in the Hub area, and waited with the rest of the crowd for the 2nd showing of the Halloween Parade. This time I was facing Liberty Square. I had the camera turned off however, and nearly did not get it operating before the Headless Horseman showed up.

I heard he used to gallop by. He did not gallop this night. It was barely a trot. More like a tired horse, and the pumpkin that the horseman was carrying appeared a bit too small to me. I must say, I was disappointed. Not the feeling I expected to be having, after many people have raved about what they saw/felt/experienced in past years. It was an "Is that all there is?" moment.

2016-Sept,222.jpg

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
The parade however, was wonderful the 2nd time around. I absolutely loved the music. I could see a lot of it clearer this time than the first time. Definitely a great parade. I still loved the hitchhiking ghosts the best. Although the villains were wonderful. If you ever make it to a Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom, be sure and watch the parade at least once.

2016-Sept,223.jpg

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
The Halloween Party officially ended at midnight. However, they did not shoo everyone out at that time. Instead, there was a show at the castle including many many Disney villains, and I mostly listened to that, since I could not get close enough to actually watch. I did not trick or treat during the party. The last thing I needed was candy to add to my already too large body. Sure I could have tried to ride more rides, or meet more characters, but I still had a really great time. I was thankful that the weather finally cooperated. It was 2 p.m. in the morning before I scanned my magic band on the door to my room. The Halloween Party definitely provided me with lots of wonderful/special memories.

Songbird76

I happened across this attraction when there was no line at all. I had never done this experience, and so I decided it was time. I absolutely loved it. It would have been nice to get a photo with Belle, but I understood the attraction policy.

View attachment 164677
If you participate in the production, you get a picture with Belle. The 2 gentlemen who played the knights got a picture with Belle. But they were the only 2 adults who played roles in our group, I think. I have a fantastic picture of DD as the Beast leaping in with her giant roar. Those musical theater lessons she's had for the past 3 years really worked!

Songbird76

I love the balloons that they sell in the parks. Since I never buy one, since I can't take it home on the plane, I photographed them instead.

View attachment 164679
On our first trip to the parks with the kids, we bought one of those balloons for each of the kids and then because we didn't want them bobbing in the car and blocking the mirrors and windows, we gave them to other children on our way out of the park in the afternoon so someone else could enjoy them.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
About balloons.....I remember my WDW trip in 2003. My grandson was 10 years old, and he wanted one of those mylar balloons in MGM. His mom bought it for him, and it made it all the way back to our hotel that year, which was the Contemporary. Before we left for our plane ride back home, I deflated the balloon, and I still have it today. I also have a great pic of my grandson, and the balloon. He looks so tiny. That same little boy is now 23.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
If the pavement was still wet from the earlier rain, that could account for the walking horse vs. the trotting/ galloping horse.

Im enjoying your report! I especially like how you collage your pictures! I feel the same way about pictures...I often go back and flip through mine from years and trips past.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I understand from a friend that some time back the headless horseman had an accident, and that is why he no longer gallops. Not sure if that is the reason or not for his slow pace this year.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
It was now Saturday, September the 3rd, and it was also Clarence's birthday. Clarence is Annette's son, and she promised to spend his birthday with him. So I would be spending my day solo, whatever I decided to do. I decided to take it easy, and go back to Magic Kingdom in the afternoon. My collage shows how we just had to walk a short way through the parking lot, and we were at the Bus Stop for Pop Century.

2016-Sept,3.jpg

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
As soon as we arrived at Magic Kingdom it was raining again. The security line was super long, and I had no intention of standing/waiting in that, I tried to catch a boat to the Grand Floridian, but I missed that one by minutes. So I headed for the monorail instead. It was the only time during my entire vacation, where I rode the monorail. It never really seems like a WDW vacation, if I don't ride the monorail.

2016-Sept,31.jpg

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I got off the monorail at the Grand Floridian Hotel, and I headed downstairs to the Grand Floridian Cafe. It is the one place I figured that I might be able to get a table without an ADR. I was right. I checked at the restaurant, and they told me that they would text me when my table was ready. I waited in the beautiful lobby of the hotel. I did not wait longer than 10, 15 minutes.

2016-Sept,32.jpg

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
Their menu included both breakfast, and lunch food, so i chose the classic Mickey Waffle, and I had hot tea as well, When I finished my meal, the waitress/server surprised me with a beautiful Mickey cupcake. It was too large to eat then, and there, so she brought me a "to go" box. I blew out the candle, and I made a wish. I wished for the sun to shine all day. I was so tired of all the rain.

2016-Sept,33.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom