Taking photos during the race

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I always take my camera and I'm usually running by myself. More often than not there is a CM (or 2) to take pictures for you but if not I just ask whoever is in line behind me.

Thanks! That puts my mind at ease! :) I want to experience and capture this entire experience. :)

disneygirl76

Haha! There was no wait for Zorro. He was hangin' out on his horse with another character holding his horse (Zorro's sidekick lol? Don't think he had one of those!) Maybe that is why I didn't see him in 2013! There will always be someone to take your picture with the characters. Also most runners are more than happy to help take your pic in front of the mile markers as long as you return the favor. :)

I would be happy to return the favor! OHHHHH Taking pics at mile markers! Okay! I need to that! Oh I am so excited!! I just had the best run I've ever done this a.m. Still not ready for the race but feeling SO hopeful!!!!

fmingo36

I would be happy to return the favor! OHHHHH Taking pics at mile markers! Okay! I need to that! Oh I am so excited!! I just had the best run I've ever done this a.m. Still not ready for the race but feeling SO hopeful!!!!

I take a picture at every mile marker too. There are no CMs at mile markers so you to rely on other runners. It's funny because all my mile marker pictures are so different because there is always a different photographer.

disneygirl76

I take a picture at every mile marker too. There are no CMs at mile markers so you to rely on other runners. It's funny because all my mile marker pictures are so different because there is always a different photographer.

Excellent! Thank you for this! :) I have started a list of where to take pics. When will I do any running! :)

Kristia

I don't think I ever feel "ready" for any race! You will do great!

Ariel484

When you're going for a picture just make sure you're aware of who's around you and not to stop in the middle of the race...don't want to cause a collision. :depressed:

dreamfinder

Hi there! Who takes your pictures - like with characters? I was watching some videos on youtube of the race. And it looked like other racers were taking the pics, and then sometimes it looked like there was a photographer. Thanks!! I plan on just taking my phone which takes good pictures. :)

Much like normal characters at WDW, characters during races will almost always have a handler with them. They will gladly take a picture with your camera. Occasionally there will be no handler. Most times the MarathonFoto person won't use your camera to take a picture. Once in a while they will, usually only if the handler isn't there. At some of the more popular characters, they will have 2 CMs, CM1 grabs camera and takes pic of Runner1, while CM2 grabs camera for Runner2. Then when Runner1 is done, CM2 is already ready to take the pic of Runner 2. CM1 gets camera from Runner3 while CM2 is taking picture, then CM2 gets camera for Runner 4, etc. Helps to make the line move much faster.

disneygirl76

Much like normal characters at WDW, characters during races will almost always have a handler with them. They will gladly take a picture with your camera. Occasionally there will be no handler. Most times the MarathonFoto person won't use your camera to take a picture. Once in a while they will, usually only if the handler isn't there. At some of the more popular characters, they will have 2 CMs, CM1 grabs camera and takes pic of Runner1, while CM2 grabs camera for Runner2. Then when Runner1 is done, CM2 is already ready to take the pic of Runner 2. CM1 gets camera from Runner3 while CM2 is taking picture, then CM2 gets camera for Runner 4, etc. Helps to make the line move much faster.

Thanks! I'm excited! I need to capture this experience! I might be delirious by the end! :)

OG Runner

I am not sure I want photographic evidence this coming year. I "felt" pretty good coming into Epcot on the last leg of the Marathon, in January. In the photos I purchased, I do not look very happy or healthy. My sons are running with me, doing the Goofy this year, maybe I'll have them bring their phones.

imagination30

I am not sure I want photographic evidence this coming year. I "felt" pretty good coming into Epcot on the last leg of the Marathon, in January. In the photos I purchased, I do not look very happy or healthy. My sons are running with me, doing the Goofy this year, maybe I'll have them bring their phones.

or have them look into buying a go pro , that way you can record as you run hands free.. , they got the real cheap one , which is go pro and then it goes up in price. but they work very well .. I bought one for my wdw half in jan. and plan on using it again in Nashville next year for the country music , and in may for a local race. on memorial day!

LWB

How many characters do you usually see on the course? Do most people run past the characters or do most stop? Curious what kind of lines you might see (and how long it would take to stop for these pics?)???

LWB

Also, how easy is it to track your runner? I'd like to see my husband at the end of the marathon when he finishes!

dreamfinder

How many characters do you usually see on the course? Do most people run past the characters or do most stop? Curious what kind of lines you might see (and how long it would take to stop for these pics?)???

Depends on the race, the characters, and when you get to the characters. The rarer characters are a huge draw for most runners. I've been the first/only person in line for some of the 5/10ks, I've run past 50-60 people in line for Captain Jack & Barbosa during the back portion of a half (Characters at mile 2, running at like mile 8-9). Heck, the line for Dopey during the 5k in January went from where he was meeting at Snow White's well all the way back past the model train setup. Anywhere from a minute to 5-10.

Also, how easy is it to track your runner? I'd like to see my husband at the end of the marathon when he finishes!

Signing up for the tracking is easy and painless. They typically send out alerts a few times, depending on the course. You should get 4 or 5 alerts for the full marathon. Last year I got a 5mi, 10mi, half, 20mi, and finish alert. I've run carrying my phone in my hand, and have felt the buzz from the message within seconds on crossing the mat. I've also had races where I've met up with other people who were running in the race in the most race meeting area (so 10-15 mins post their finish) and still haven't gotten their finish message. However, if you want to see someone finish, and aren't going to spring for the expensive bleacher seating package, (and possibly even then) you need to be thinking about making your way to the barracade 45 mins - 1 hour before expected finish time. Remember there are going to be 25,000 other people running this race, and there is maybe and eight of a mile stretch of course at the finish area where spectators can stand. Less if you account for the bleachers. Crowds are typically going to be at least 5 people thick at the barricades, so it can take a while to maneuver close enough to see.

Ariel484

Like @dreamfinder said, it depends. At WDW the night races (Tower of Terror/Wine & Dine) seem to have less characters than the morning races (WDW Half Marathon/Marathon/Princess Half Marathon). I can't comment on the Disneyland races because I haven't done one yet. I'd say whether people run past or stop can also depend on the race - I thought lines seemed shorter for Wine & Dine compared to the AM races. Also depends on your corral, I think (earlier runners probably stop less). Most lines are pretty short (2 CMs taking pictures, no autograph books) but they can get long. I think the longest line I waited in was 7-8 minutes for Royal Mickey and Minnie.
When the tracking is good, it's great. When it's not good, it's pretty annoying. I tried to track 2 friends during the Princess Half this year and they seem to have switched companies or something, because the notifications were coming in late. Hopefully they'll get that sorted out by January.

If you decide against meeting your husband at the finish I'd recommend spectating at the Boardwalk or Yacht & Beach. My husband met me at Yacht & Beach in 2013 (mile 24.5ish) and it was such a great boost to see him so late in the race.

OG Runner

There are characters every few miles and there can be substantial lines. In January there was a line of at least 40 people waiting for the characters from Tangled, heading out of the Magic Kingdom. You just have to decide if it is worth the wait. Take a look at Lee Hoedel's videos on Youtube, he gets a lot of photos taken. The only race I have been "tracked" in was the Marathon. The updates were every 5 miles, and my sons said they were pretty accurate.

imagination30

like dream finder said , depends on your race , and also your corral .. , but some lines are inevitable .. , so that why its best to jump in the short lines or non existent.. But run your race and have fun!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom