Taking a toddler to the Magic Kingdom

mpeters

You know, I really should just stay out of this, but my BIGGEST pet peeve in the world are people who do not have children trying to give parenting advice.
I think you are being extremely judgmental.
I still do not understand where on earth you are getting the idea that stroller use=fat and lazy kids and parents. Do you not realize that just becuase you see a kid in a stroller at the mall or at WDW it does not mean they live in that stroller and are never allowed to get out of it? Because your post sure makes it sound that way. Do you have any idea how many hours each week my kids are running around the yard (and the house, for that matter)? Do you have any idea how many outings my family makes where no stroller is involved (like the park, etc)? Do you have any idea the number of sports that my "lazy" child participates in weekly? If anything, my kids are TOO active!! Sometimes we just wear them and ourselves out! :shrug:
As a stay at home mom without ANY help from family, etc as far as babysitting goes, I HAVE to take my toddler with me everywhere I go. So if putting her in a stroller because I need to Christmas shop at the mall for a couple of hours makes me fat and lazy in your eyes, then so be it. And if putting her in a jogging stroller everyday so that this "lazy" mom can exercise is wrong in your eyes, then so be it. And if putting my two year old in a stoller while walking down Main Street with the masses at park closing makes me lazy, then so be it. And if letting my six year old take a little break in his stroller after WALKING for 6 hours straight in the hot sun at Disney World which is the only place on earth he ever occasionally uses a stroller makes me lazy in your eyes, then so be it.
Again, I say....someday if you have kids, you or your wife WILL use a stroller at some point. That is unless you want to be house bound for the first few years of their life. I know you will deny this, but TRUST me. You will use a stroller.

I wish I could ride around WDW in a stroller for adults like my sons.....

ProfSlim

Classic question ....! Of course every kid and family is different... And as with all Disney trips it's about setting correct expectations. If you think your 2 year-old will enjoy and appreciate all aspects of Disney you 'll be disappointed.

It's tough to "create" a good time for a 2 year old...naps, going to bed early, fear of characters, loud noises, the dark, meals, ride restrictions, weather, etc. all need to be part of your planning and expectation setting.

That being said, when my kids were 2 years old they seemed to have a great time...luckily they were not afraid of any characters and they rode all attractions that did not have restrictions. Going to bed early and naps are always tough to manage in Disney...and I'm nto a fan of running the kids until they "drop"...you usually pay for that sometime later.

Also, be realistic about your itinerary. Park hopping, water parks, nicer restaurants, late dinners, fireworks, etc. are usually not part of the plan :shrug:

Although this reply might sound negative I'm a huge fan of getting kids to Disney, regardless of age, it's just an expectations "thing".

dormouse72

I've done Disney with toddlers - one one trip I took three kids who were all 5 and under (DD #1 - age 4, DD #2 - age 18 mos, and nephew - age 5)! My nephew came because he had been left behind when my SIL took his sisters when he was one; she couldn't fully enjoy the trip because she kept feeling like she had made the worst mistake leaving him behind. Not to mention the fact that he was well aware of that fact as he got older. Because let's face it - for those of us outside of Florida, Disney might be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. What I've learned:

- The more adults the better! The highest ratio we ever had was one adult per child and for DD #1's first trip she came with an entourage! We were able to switch on and off when some of the "big kids" - a/k/a adults - wanted to go on the big rides. Grandparents are invaluable for this; DD # 3 and my mother have TONS of pictures of their special times (playing the drums and petting animals in AK, doing the Kidcot art projects in EPCOT, riding the carousel in MK) while the bigs and I ran around like idiots! Then my mother and the big girls would go on rides while I had baby-bonding time.

- Each child is different. DD #2 was 18 months old at the time of her first trip and she was SCARED STIFF of Goofy (well, with the hat he is 7 ft. tall) but rode Pirates of the Carribbean 7 times in a row without a peep. My five year old nephew was with us on that trip and loved Test Track but was terrified of the fireworks. DD #1 is 14 now, will ride ToT till she is dragged away from it and STILL wont go on Haunted Mansion. DD #3...well, let's just say I'm already looking for volunteers to watch her while the rest of us go into Muppets 3D during this upcoming trip in October. You just don't know what will scare the pants off of them.

- Strollers are a GODSEND! I brought the stroller for DD #2's first trip (I had rented one for DD #1's). The bigger kids (DD #1 and my nephew - who were 4 and 5 at the time) rode in it more than she did! She is just a kid who likes to walk so those chubby little baby legs tore up the parks. The big ones were running and jumping around and would use the stroller for breaks - I have pictures of HER pushing THEM! With DD # 3, I didn't use a stroller for her first trip (she was 3 1/2) - man, did I miss having that stoller to carry the backpacks and other things we take into the parks!!! For this trip with my darling niece (age 5 turning 6) - we may do a stroller because she is just NOT a walker. She isn't arriving until we've been there a couple of days so DD #3 will have a few days of hoofing it before I decide if I'll invest in a stroller (and for anyone who thinks that's "spoiling" - on my trip in March my friend ended up renting a wheelchair because her feet swelled up so much she couldn't walk. If adults have problems with all the walking and "pacing themselves" through being overexcited, why wouldn't kids?)

- There is TONS of stuff for toddlers to do, even without the rides. There are playgrounds (Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Mickey's Toontown park) and splash fountains (Ariel's Grotto, Donald's Boat), arts and crafts (Kidcot) and the petting zoo (Conservation Station). DD #3 walked around for a week in her Cinderella costume and "sporty sandals" (those glass slippers were just not up for the challenge of WDW) - by the end of the week she was answering to "Cindy"! And we didn't even take advantage of the Baby Care Centers the way we should have. The things you learn after the fact...:shrug:

- Some structure and routine is still necessary. Lots of water and fruit, only one ice cream a day, healthy snacks from home (I admit it - I smuggled Cheerios into the parks), only one small toy a day right before we leave the park (a great way to get a kid out of the park is "Let's go back to the room so you can play with your new toy!"). A temper tantrum at Disney will get you the same time out you'd get at home. Bedtime is bedtime no matter what - again, gotta love grandparents with this one. My mom LOVED taking DD #3 back to the hotel for a nice bath and bed; her feet would start to hurt and it was the perfect excuse to call it a day. It really helped that my mom knew the kids routines very well and kept that structure from home.

- Expect the unexpected. DD #1's first trip at age 2 ended in a step infection that spread to her ear and meant a 24 hour train trip rather than a 2 hour plane ride. Remember to bring EVERYTHING you might need - better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. We also stayed in hotels closer to Magic Kingdom (Ft. Wilderness Campground, Shades of Green) so it was easier to get back to the room with a small child. Staying anywhere on property is great for this reason.

For anyone contemplating taking a toddler to Disney, I would always say you know your child best and if you think they (and you) can handle it, then do it. It really is amazing.

here is my 2 cents worth....I cant wait to take my 2 yr old to the magic kingdom we are going in april and I will have a 16, 2 1/2 and an 8 week old and we are going basically because it will be the last time for my 16 ds next time he can pay himself, i want to see the look on my dd's face when she gets to meet mickey mouse...and we will be using a sit and stand strollar but she likes to walk so we will also have her backpack (leash) and the stollar when she gets tired....and i see nothing wrong with any of it....:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

jennc2001

DEFINITELY not too young!!! my son was 18 months when we took him for the first time and he had a blast! MK is the best out of all the parks to take a 2 year old to!

jennc2001

Not necisarily. Back in 2005, we took our youngest when he was 18 months along with my other son who does not live with us most of the time. Even though he has been back several times with just us since then, he can remember the things he did with his older brother. And he is excited to go back this summer with him.

I completely agree with you! My son was 18 months on his first trip and while he does remember his more recent trips better, he does remember the things he did on the very first one! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom