TAFI Town Hall

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Join me tonight at 6:30 CST as I sit down with the infamous Dreamfinder and ask him the hard questions in the first edition of Question Time with Sam Magic.
2z885jd.png

Just to point out the facts...

• 14:50 ... DF was eliminated after challenge 1. He had been rude to his team and the judges from day one. A sore loser never gets anywhere so I fired him, but he came in raging along with a naive WED99. I was in a good mood, and with a non-active player already gone, I let DF back in. Then came challenge 2. He accepted a ton of work for his team far in advance of the deadline. Then, after days of confrontation about power in the group, he went AWOL for the last few days of the challenge, with absolutely no explanation. As PM, he had a responsibility to post the proposal or designate somebody else to post for him. The closest he got was commanding that Sam be in charge of final approval during times he couldn't be online (any time before 2 am local, but not for the duration of the challenge, according to his statement in an argument with WED). He never said he'd be gone. He just left, so he was kicked off.
  • 17:22 ... The community was so small at that point that, as I presented this idea to others I thought of DF. In fact, I only considered him because, oddly enough, he apologized to me just the week before...
Hey jdm,
I wanted to say that I was sorry for the way I acted during the sorcerer's apprentice competetion. I admit that I was very childish and acted like I was ignorant. I really like what you are doing for the future imagineering community, and hope that I can be accepted back into this wonderful group of forward thinkers. I believe that with the skills that are developed here, we can do anything from imagineering to running a buisness. I look forward to working with you in all future endeavors.
Thanks,
Dreamfinder83
Thanks, and if you need any help with TAFI please tell me!
I accepted his apology and he stuck in my mind. If only then had I realized the fluidity of such a concession. Oh, how my naive nature deceived me...
  • 20:45 ... It's all just fun.
tumblr_mezy08dbze1qbm00wo1_500.gif

• 21:35 ... This is where it all got very political, and it was never meant to be.
  • 22:11 ... :rolleyes:
  • 23:05 ... "More rules" was much more than that. It wasn't about rules. It was about making a fun, competitive system for the community. Competitive systems, otherwise known as leagues, require so-called rules to function.
  • 24:00 ... It's a good thing we changed it, with community to approval, to include elections, and decreased power to the Conversationalists (nee Governors).
  • 27:10 ... I have to give you a hand, DF. You still don't understand what the ICS is truly about. It's about uniting the competitions, not controlling them. In fact, a lot of us (on the forum) still don't understand either. The currently incumbent Convos work to identify that way. Do we make a schedule? Or do we leave it up to everybody? But either way, the community always has free will. If you want to run a competition, run a competition. Who cares if it's not ICS-sanctioned. Some people like to compete, while others just like to be creative and be critiqued for improvement. Everybody has a choice.
  • 27:45 ... To be clear, Sam, you do remember how you pulled some serious strings between us all throughout the turmoil like this guy right?
Palp_trustme.jpg

;)
  • 28:40 ... DF went totally...
635413188074960667155907160_tumblr_lxkd96k47p1r9jb_by_redhavic-d8d0mul.gif

• 29:45 ... What they're gonna tell my kids... x_x
mark-hamillalec-guinness-quote-luke-how-did-my-father-die-obi-wan-a.jpg

• 30:35 ... Ah, there you are Lord Palpatine.
  • 31:45 ... A mutual agreement among the community, no less.
  • 32:40 ... Not true. No conflict does not mean non-activity. We have become a better and stronger community than ever.
  • 33:50 ... Glad everybody is happy and on the same page.
  • 36:10 ... Competition ideas are original ideas, but that's just nitpicking. :p
  • This shouldn't even be a problem/discussion two years later. We all have faults. This conflict showed me how short my fuse was, and I've become a better person from it. I think we've all basically moved on. There's always going to be respect lost, but that's life. I hope not to see this petty, almost embarrassing moment for the forum come up again, as we have become much better. :)
I'm happy this interview went rationally and the paradigms have aligned somewhat. DF, it's great to have another member in our wonderful community! Good luck out there, but remember, it's all just fun.

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Just to point out the facts...

• 14:50 ... DF was eliminated after challenge 1. He had been rude to his team and the judges from day one. A sore loser never gets anywhere so I fired him, but he came in raging along with a naive WED99. I was in a good mood, and with a non-active player already gone, I let DF back in. Then came challenge 2. He accepted a ton of work for his team far in advance of the deadline. Then, after days of confrontation about power in the group, he went AWOL for the last few days of the challenge, with absolutely no explanation. As PM, he had a responsibility to post the proposal or designate somebody else to post for him. The closest he got was commanding that Sam be in charge of final approval during times he couldn't be online (any time before 2 am local, but not for the duration of the challenge, according to his statement in an argument with WED). He never said he'd be gone. He just left, so he was kicked off.
  • 17:22 ... The community was so small at that point that, as I presented this idea to others I thought of DF. In fact, I only considered him because, oddly enough, he apologized to me just the week before...

I accepted his apology and he stuck in my mind. If only then had I realized the fluidity of such a concession. Oh, how my naive nature deceived me...
  • 20:45 ... It's all just fun.
tumblr_mezy08dbze1qbm00wo1_500.gif

• 21:35 ... This is where it all got very political, and it was never meant to be.
  • 22:11 ... :rolleyes:
  • 23:05 ... "More rules" was much more than that. It wasn't about rules. It was about making a fun, competitive system for the community. Competitive systems, otherwise known as leagues, require so-called rules to function.
  • 24:00 ... It's a good thing we changed it, with community to approval, to include elections, and decreased power to the Conversationalists (nee Governors).
  • 27:10 ... I have to give you a hand, DF. You still don't understand what the ICS is truly about. It's about uniting the competitions, not controlling them. In fact, a lot of us (on the forum) still don't understand either. The currently incumbent Convos work to identify that way. Do we make a schedule? Or do we leave it up to everybody? But either way, the community always has free will. If you want to run a competition, run a competition. Who cares if it's not ICS-sanctioned. Some people like to compete, while others just like to be creative and be critiqued for improvement. Everybody has a choice.
  • 27:45 ... To be clear, Sam, you do remember how you pulled some serious strings between us all throughout the turmoil like this guy right?
Palp_trustme.jpg

;)
  • 28:40 ... DF went totally...
635413188074960667155907160_tumblr_lxkd96k47p1r9jb_by_redhavic-d8d0mul.gif

• 29:45 ... What they're gonna tell my kids... x_x
mark-hamillalec-guinness-quote-luke-how-did-my-father-die-obi-wan-a.jpg

• 30:35 ... Ah, there you are Lord Palpatine.
  • 31:45 ... A mutual agreement among the community, no less.
  • 32:40 ... Not true. No conflict does not mean non-activity. We have become a better and stronger community than ever.
  • 33:50 ... Glad everybody is happy and on the same page.
  • 36:10 ... Competition ideas are original ideas, but that's just nitpicking. :p
  • This shouldn't even be a problem/discussion two years later. We all have faults. This conflict showed me how short my fuse was, and I've become a better person from it. I think we've all basically moved on. There's always going to be respect lost, but that's life. I hope not to see this petty, almost embarrassing moment for the forum come up again, as we have become much better. :)
I'm happy this interview went rationally and the paradigms have aligned somewhat. DF, it's great to have another member in our wonderful community! Good luck out there, but remember, it's all just fun.
Jeez, I pulled an @englanddg. As usual with his critiques, I hope no one was seriously offended by my thoughts and opinions on the matter.

RMichael21

TAFI Competition Selection; TAFI Competition Committee; ICS Competition Tiers

People of the TAFI and WDWMagic community. On behalf of the 2015 TAFI Conversationalists, I'd like to introduce a proposal for a new system that will shape how ICS competitions are selected.

TAFI Schedule Reform:

Blue - Tier 4 Competitions (Four Per Year)
14 days long and accessible to entry level people. This is a great way for a "host" to enter the community as a competition host, as well as something accessible for people who would like to compete, but aren't interested in long comps. Daily or every few days challenge length, but content submission restrictions to keep it simple. In addition, these do not count towards ICS points, as this Tier is more of a "get your feet wet" type competition.
Example: One Sentence Contest

Green - Tier 3 Competitions (Four Per Year)
These are 30 days long, and accessible to entry level people as well, but also everyone else. Daily or every few days challenge length, but content submission restrictions to keep it simple. Rankings count towards ICS points.
Example: Around the Resorts in 30 Days

Orange - Tier 2 Competitions (Four Per Year)
These would be "minor comps". Timed to start about halfway through the major comps, so that people who are eliminated can keep playing. They are more advanced, with half week, or week long deadlines and more complex challenges. They introduce collaboration, but can also be individual. Rankings count towards ICS points.
Example: The Creator Games

Red - Tier 1 Competitions (Four Per Year)
These are the major competitions that happen throughout the year. These are the longest and also the most time consuming. Rankings count towards ICS points.
Examples: The Sole Imagineer, The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Purple
TAFI Administrative points

Tier 1 Competitions (4): January-March, April-June, July-September, September-November

Tier 2 Competitions (4): February-March, May-June, August-September, October-November

Tier 3 Competitions (4): January, April, July, October

Tier 4 Competitions (4): February, May, August, December

This means that throughout the year, there will be 16 competitions with 12 counting towards ICS points.

Competition Competing Requirements:

Anyone can compete in any Tier of competition in the TAFI community. However, there are some guidelines.

First, it is highly recommended that anyone who hasn't competed in a competition or hasn't participated in an extended period of time participate in a Tier 4 Competition first. This will allow the competitor to see if they truly would like to compete and if they really have the time for it.

If one does not successfully complete a Tier 1 Competition or Tier 2 Competition, they must successfully compete in a Tier 3 Competition before they can return to a higher tier competition.

If one does not successfully compete in a Tier 3 Competition, they most successfully compete in a Tier 4 Competition before they can return to a higher tier competition.

Competition Hosting Requirements:

In order to host an ICS endorsed competition, you must have successfully participated in a Tier 1 Competition. This means that you have competed in a Tier 1 Competition until an ultimate win, elimination or lose at a finale. If one does not successfully compete in a Tier 1 Competition, (meaning that they quit or are disqualified) they must successfully compete in one in order to be eligible to host a competition.

However, if you have already hosted a
Tier 1 Competition or Tier 2 Competition during the 2015 season, you do not need to submit a proposal if you hosted your competition (or are planning to) this year. This only applies if the host plans to revive the competition for another season. But, in this scenario, the host must contact the committee as soon as possible in order to inform them that you would like to do another installment.
*(This truly only applies to @RMichael21, @jdmdisney99 and @IDInstitute )

ICS Competition Selection Committee (CSC):

In addition, the selection process of competitions will be changed.

A group of members, made up of those who do not desire to host a competition will decide what competitions will pass and be placed in the next year's official lineup. Those who would like to host a competition must bring forward a proposal of their idea to the committee.

Here's how it would work:

JUNE:
Those who desire to host a competition in the first half of the next year are now permitted to start planning a proposal for the competition that they would like to host. First, they must come forward, telling the conversationalists or the public that they plan to submit a concept. In addition, those who do not wish to host a competition in the upcoming year may ask to be a member of the Competition Selection Committee. They will have 3 months to plan this proposal.

JULY:
Proposals will continue to be worked on, as people who would like to host a competition will have 1 month left to organize a concept.

AUGUST:
Proposals for new competitions can be submitted throughout the entire month of August, but they are not officially due until August 31st at 11:59 PM. Any submissions turned in during June or July will be turned away and will the committee will request they "stew" their idea some more. The committee will then review the submissions. If the CSC decides that they would like to see your competition in the next year's schedule, they will privately contact you. However, the results will not be announced to the public until December.

SEPTEMBER:
Those who desire to host a competition in the second half of the next year are now permitted to start planning a proposal for the competition that they would like to host. First, they must come forward, telling the committee or the public that they plan to submit a concept. They will have 3 months to plan this proposal.

OCTOBER:
Proposals will continue to be worked on, as people who would like to host a competition will have 1 month left to organize a concept.

NOVEMBER:
Proposals for new competitions in the second half of the next year can be submitted throughout the entire month of November, but they are not officially due until November 30th at 11:59 PM. Any submissions turned in during September or October will be turned away and will the committee will request they "stew" their idea some more. The committee will then review the submissions. If the CSC decides that they would like to see your competition in the next year's schedule, they will privately contact you. However, the results will not be announced to the public until December.

DECEMBER:
The CSC announces the official schedule for the next year's ICS and TAFI Season. The announcement will happen in early or mid December.

CSC Submission Requirements:
All proposals to the CSC must include the following:

- An introduction.
- A logo.
- An example of a challenge.
- 15-20 sentences about how your competition would add to the WDWMagic community.
- Competition Rules
- How many players would be permitted.
- Describe your competition.
- Would you judge and host by yourself or with others?
- If so, who?
- Anything else that you think will help the CSC choose your competition!

-=+=-
Post your feedback below!​

Matt7187

TAFI Competition Selection; TAFI Competition Committee; ICS Competition Tiers

People of the TAFI and WDWMagic community. On behalf of the 2015 TAFI Conversationalists, I'd like to introduce a proposal for a new system that will shape how ICS competitions are selected.

TAFI Schedule Reform:

Blue - Tier 4 Competitions (Four Per Year)
14 days long and accessible to entry level people. This is a great way for a "host" to enter the community as a competition host, as well as something accessible for people who would like to compete, but aren't interested in long comps. Daily or every few days challenge length, but content submission restrictions to keep it simple. In addition, these do not count towards ICS points, as this Tier is more of a "get your feet wet" type competition.
Example: One Sentence Contest

Green - Tier 3 Competitions (Four Per Year)
These are 30 days long, and accessible to entry level people as well, but also everyone else. Daily or every few days challenge length, but content submission restrictions to keep it simple. Rankings count towards ICS points.
Example: Around the Resorts in 30 Days

Orange - Tier 2 Competitions (Four Per Year)
These would be "minor comps". Timed to start about halfway through the major comps, so that people who are eliminated can keep playing. They are more advanced, with half week, or week long deadlines and more complex challenges. They introduce collaboration, but can also be individual. Rankings count towards ICS points.
Example: The Creator Games

Red - Tier 1 Competitions (Four Per Year)
These are the major competitions that happen throughout the year. These are the longest and also the most time consuming. Rankings count towards ICS points.
Examples: The Sole Imagineer, The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Purple
TAFI Administrative points

Tier 1 Competitions (4): January-March, April-June, July-September, September-November

Tier 2 Competitions (4): February-March, May-June, August-September, October-November

Tier 3 Competitions (4): January, April, July, October

Tier 4 Competitions (4): February, May, August, December

This means that throughout the year, there will be 16 competitions with 12 counting towards ICS points.

Competition Competing Requirements:

Anyone can compete in any Tier of competition in the TAFI community. However, there are some guidelines.

First, it is highly recommended that anyone who hasn't competed in a competition or hasn't participated in an extended period of time participate in a Tier 4 Competition first. This will allow the competitor to see if they truly would like to compete and if they really have the time for it.

If one does not successfully complete a Tier 1 Competition or Tier 2 Competition, they must successfully compete in a Tier 3 Competition before they can return to a higher tier competition.

If one does not successfully compete in a Tier 3 Competition, they most successfully compete in a Tier 4 Competition before they can return to a higher tier competition.

Competition Hosting Requirements:

In order to host an ICS endorsed competition, you must have successfully participated in a Tier 1 Competition. This means that you have competed in a Tier 1 Competition until an ultimate win, elimination or lose at a finale. If one does not successfully compete in a Tier 1 Competition, (meaning that they quit or are disqualified) they must successfully compete in one in order to be eligible to host a competition.

However, if you have already hosted a
Tier 1 Competition or Tier 2 Competition during the 2015 season, you do not need to submit a proposal if you hosted your competition (or are planning to) this year. This only applies if the host plans to revive the competition for another season. But, in this scenario, the host must contact the committee as soon as possible in order to inform them that you would like to do another installment.
*(This truly only applies to @RMichael21, @jdmdisney99 and @IDInstitute )

ICS Competition Selection Committee (CSC):

In addition, the selection process of competitions will be changed.

A group of members, made up of those who do not desire to host a competition will decide what competitions will pass and be placed in the next year's official lineup. Those who would like to host a competition must bring forward a proposal of their idea to the committee.

Here's how it would work:

JUNE:
Those who desire to host a competition in the first half of the next year are now permitted to start planning a proposal for the competition that they would like to host. First, they must come forward, telling the conversationalists or the public that they plan to submit a concept. In addition, those who do not wish to host a competition in the upcoming year may ask to be a member of the Competition Selection Committee. They will have 3 months to plan this proposal.

JULY:

AUGUST:
Proposals for new competitions can be submitted throughout the entire month of August, but they are not officially due until August 31st at 11:59 PM. Any submissions turned in during June or July will be turned away and will the committee will request they "stew" their idea some more. The committee will then review the submissions. If the CSC decides that they would like to see your competition in the next year's schedule, they will privately contact you. However, the results will not be announced to the public until December.

SEPTEMBER:
Those who desire to host a competition in the second half of the next year are now permitted to start planning a proposal for the competition that they would like to host. First, they must come forward, telling the committee or the public that they plan to submit a concept. They will have 3 months to plan this proposal.

OCTOBER:

NOVEMBER:
Proposals for new competitions in the second half of the next year can be submitted throughout the entire month of November, but they are not officially due until November 30th at 11:59 PM. Any submissions turned in during September or October will be turned away and will the committee will request they "stew" their idea some more. The committee will then review the submissions. If the CSC decides that they would like to see your competition in the next year's schedule, they will privately contact you. However, the results will not be announced to the public until December.

DECEMBER:
The CSC announces the official schedule for the next year's ICS and TAFI Season. The announcement will happen in early or mid December.

CSC Submission Requirements:
All proposals to the CSC must include the following:

- An introduction.
- A logo.
- An example of a challenge.
- 15-20 sentences about how your competition would add to the WDWMagic community.
- Competition Rules
- How many players would be permitted.
- Describe your competition.
- Would you judge and host by yourself or with others?
- If so, who?
- Anything else that you think will help the CSC choose your competition!

-=+=-
Post your feedback below!​
I can tell you guys put a lot of effort into this, but to be totally honest, I really don't like it. I like the idea of tiring the comps and weighting them differently, but I don't like that some people will be excluded from participating just because they are new. Also, I already have a competition set up for later is year, so will that change? What "tier" would it be? I'm sorry, but I just think this is way to complicated. If this was "dumbed down" a little bit, I think it would be much better

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I just want to clarify, this is a town hall post. This IS for community discussion, and not a dictate. Rather, it's a ruleset for us all to discuss and agree upon so we can start to plan next year as a community and not have random competitions pop up all over the place stomping all over each other.

So, if it sounds like it's a "rules" post, that's because it's written like rules.

But, that should not be confused for "dictate". Meaning, PLEASE put your own two cents in about what you like and dislike.

As, I am about to do.

1) I think the CSC Submission requirements of 15 - 20 sentences is a bit long. I'd change that to "a brief description of how your competition would add to the WDWMagic Community"

2) I think that hosts of any comp should have final say in who can, and cannot, participate. So, a line should be added to the "Competing Requirements" section that reads something like "Hosts may override these restrictions if they choose to, these are just general rules." or something like that.

DinoInstitute

I can tell you guys put a lot of effort into this, but to be totally honest, I really don't like it. I like the idea of tiring the comps and weighting them differently, but I don't like that some people will be excluded from participating just because they are new. Also, I already have a competition set up for later is year, so will that change? What "tier" would it be? I'm sorry, but I just think this is way to complicated. If this was "dumbed down" a little bit, I think it would be much better
As far as your upcoming comp goes, you're fine, it won't go into effect until next year.

But thanks for your input!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Exactly.

It's hard to find a happy medium. Hence why it's out here for the community to discuss.

What would you suggest?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'd also add that I think that new comps should come up for public input or something at some point.

I guess what I mean is that, instead of PMs, perhaps the submission thread should be public? I mean, somebody could have a great idea, but for whatever reason it gets squashed...and that's not the point. No internal politics (yes, I'm looking at some people with a dirty eye).

Rather, keep it all above table?

The key is to keep this where we are an organizational body, not a governing one. The community as a whole should be involved as much as possible (I'm preaching to the choir, because all the rest of the Conversationalists feel exactly this way...I'm just reiterating).

The only thing we have down pat at this point is that sometime in Dec 2015, there will be elections for the new Conversationalists for 2016.

Ok, I'm rambling now.

Matt7187

Exactly.

It's hard to find a happy medium. Hence why it's out here for the community to discuss.

What would you suggest?
Well, for starters, I would abolish the restrictions on people being allowed to join a competition. I feel like that is taking things a bit too far. I agree that you should be required to have some experience in comps before hosting one, but competing, I just don't think we should be able to tell people that they can't participate because they are new.

Also, the whole months long process to create a comp seems a bit extreme. If I were in charge, I would just set a 2 week period in a December where you give this information to the Selection Committee, whether the comps has happened in the past before:
-Name
-Logo
-Brief Rundown/Rules
-Example Challenge
-How long you would ideally see it last

Then, using that information, they read over them all, and then choose which ones they would like to see and working them into a schedule. If they like one comp that the creator wanted to last 2 months, but there is only room for a 1 month comp, they should ask the creator whether they would accept that time slot, and if not, they will choose someone else.

I like the idea of tiers, and I think they are good the way they are now. But I still have one question, what tier would my comp this fall be? It was supposed to be just October I believe, but @jdmdisney99 should know all of that since I submitted it to him earlier this year. So, to recap:

-2 week submission period
-Committee creates schedule, asks comp runners if ok
-No "discrimination" on whether someone can compete

If the conversationalists are interested in revising this, I would gladly help you guys if wanted

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well, for starters, I would abolish the restrictions on people being allowed to join a competition. I feel like that is taking things a bit too far. I agree that you should be required to have some experience in comps before hosting one, but competing, I just don't think we should be able to tell people that they can't participate because they are new.

Also, the whole months long process to create a comp seems a bit extreme. If I were in charge, I would just set a 2 week period in a December where you give this information to the Selection Committee, whether the comps has happened in the past before:
-Name
-Logo
-Brief Rundown/Rules
-Example Challenge

Then, using that information, they read over them all, and then choose which ones they would like to see and working them into a schedule. If they like one comp that the creator wanted to last 2 months, but there is only room for a 1 month comp, they should ask the creator whether they would accept that time slot, and if not, they will choose someone else.

I like the idea of tiers, and I think they are good the way they are now. But I still have one question, what tier would my comp this fall be? It was supposed to be just October I believe, but @jdmdisney99 should know all of that since I submitted it to him earlier this year. So, to recap:

If the conversationalists are interested in revising this, I would gladly help you guys if wanted
It's posted here specifically for input like that.

Great points!

englanddg

One Little Spark...

-Name
-Logo
-Brief Rundown/Rules
-Example Challenge

I like the idea of a shorter submission period, and it being towards the end of the year...

Though, I'll say, I think there should be 2 of them. One in Dec for the first 6 months, and one in May for the last 6 months.

Or something like that.

That way, a new person can have a chance to get their comp into the schedule if they have a great idea and the will to make it happen.

As far as the limitations, there's a reason for that, and you and I have both run into it. People who sign up, but then never compete with any seriousness. This is specifically for the Tier 1 comps.

If there were unlimited slots in every comp, it wouldn't be an issue, but there are not. So, it's an attempt (though maybe a poor concept?) to try and reign that in a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom