TAFI Town Hall

spacemt354

Chili's
2201519_orig.png

TAFI Newsletter
October 30, 2015

Introduction
Hello again everyone! After another week on the wdwmagic imagineering forums, there's several interesting concepts and events to talk about and look forward too.

Imagineering Competitions and Events

The Choice - We have reached the Halloween break in the competition. In Challenge 6 (part 2) Team TheOriginalTiki and Team Monorail Red were tasked with designing 3 winter holiday overlays for attractions at Universal Orlando Resort. In one of the tightest margins of the season, Team Monorail Red won the challenge and now the final eight competitors will fight it out individually for the next 3 weeks before a winner is crowned on Tuesday November 24th!

What If... - @DSquared posted the most recent installment of his "What If" event a few days ago with a Halloween theme. Be sure to check it out!

Upcoming Imagineering Competitions and Events

December 1st - December 31st, 2015 - The ICS Elite Eight Tournament II
December 31st - TAFI Year-End Awards
January 2016 - April 2016 - The Sole Imagineer Season 2: Redemption Island
Valentine's Day 2016 - What If...Season 2

Individual Spotlight

Jack's Scaremagic - a new attraction concept by Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 3 winner @tcool that is really well done and quite a detailed Halloween rendition of Mickey's Philharmagic. Check it out here!

Land 3... - a poll and survey started by @IDInstitute back in August in light of the new DHS expansion announcements at D23. There's a variety of opinions on what the 3rd Pixar "Land" should be, so go vote and give your opinion!

Disneyland Mexico - @Captain-Nemo has a nice concept thread going along that you should check out! A ton of great ideas being thrown around by several members of the forums.

Social Media

The SoYouWantToBeAnImagineer YouTube Channel is hosting a live show talking about Disney's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" tonight! So be sure to watch the discussion tonight! @TheOriginalTiki might post the link later on.

Also prevalent is the SamMagic YouTube Channel. @Sam4D23 ...the host of the TAFI Year-End Awards Ceremony and a long-time member of the boards has his own channel where he discusses the imagineering competitions and Disney in general. Be sure to subscribe and check out his stuff!

channelbanner-jpg.78672

Conclusion

With that, on the night before Halloween, have a Happy Halloween everyone! Be safe as well! See you next week:)

fcc1311ed16cb348eaeababa73f73daf.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Howdy again everyone...I was just talking to @RMichael21 about the Hall of Fame vote we were discussing in Town Hall a few weeks ago. For the last two years in October @jdmdisney99 usually hosts the annual thread where the community votes on members to be inducted into the Imagineering Hall of Fame on the boards.

Since he's been away the past few weeks we wanted to try and keep it going and keep it an annual thing for everyone.

Would y'all be cool with this idea?

Originally, the HoF vote only let 2 people in per year, but based on the size of the community and level on contribution, it would take years, decades even, for all the deserving members to be inducted. And with that, you run the risk of people not being here for their induction.

The thought that @Sam4D23 came up with and that I really like is to open it up to 4 inducted members per year. And with a few suggestions for nominations from other members, the list of 2015 Hall of Fame nominees as it stands right now would look like this:

@englanddg
@LittleGiants16
@Matt7187
@Voxel
@Zweiland
@mharrington
@ctxak98

Honorable Mentions: WED99, MaterA113 - these two members were very instrumental years ago, but haven't been as active now, so many of the voters might not have a good sense of what they did. But I thought they still deserved some recognition.

I think this is a great list. We could set up a poll as always, give everyone a week to vote, and go from there! Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

RMichael21

Howdy again everyone...I was just talking to @RMichael21 about the Hall of Fame vote we were discussing in Town Hall a few weeks ago. For the last two years in October @jdmdisney99 usually hosts the annual thread where the community votes on members to be inducted into the Imagineering Hall of Fame on the boards.

Since he's been away the past few weeks we wanted to try and keep it going and keep it an annual thing for everyone.

Would y'all be cool with this idea?

Originally, the HoF vote only let 2 people in per year, but based on the size of the community and level on contribution, it would take years, decades even, for all the deserving members to be inducted. And with that, you run the risk of people not being here for their induction.

The thought that @Sam4D23 came up with and that I really like is to open it up to 4 inducted members per year. And with a few suggestions for nominations from other members, the list of 2015 Hall of Fame nominees as it stands right now would look like this:

@englanddg
@LittleGiants16
@Matt7187
@Voxel
@Zweiland
@mharrington
@ctxak98

Honorable Mentions: WED99, MaterA113 - these two members were very instrumental years ago, but haven't been as active now, so many of the voters might not have a good sense of what they did. But I thought they still deserved some recognition.

I think this is a great list. We could set up a poll as always, give everyone a week to vote, and go from there! Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Comments on these ideas below! If everyone finds it good, expect me to post the Hall of Fame vote soon!

spacemt354

Chili's
2201519_orig.png

TAFI Newsletter
November 6, 2015

Introduction

Remember, remember the 5th of November. Dang, I missed it by one day!:p Greeting everyone! After another week on the Imagineer forums we have seen several things come to light, and others to look forward to on the horizon. Looking forward to spending that time with you all!

The Choice - Last Friday, due to support from the participating contestants, Challenge 7 was pushed up and began on October 30th. The Challenge is to come up with a 2015 WDI New York World's Fair attraction. Inspired by the great WED Enterprises attractions of the 1964/1965 World's Fair, and celebrating the 50th anniversary of the closing of that event, be sure to check out the attraction proposals from the remaining 8 contestants. It should be something special!

What If... - on Saturday, @DSquared will post his next installment of What If, the weekly event where he proposes a new attraction and the results of "what if" it actually happens.

*As a note for the future, DSquared is also work-shopping a new idea that may revive and be included in the original plan for short, weekend competitions called "ICS Weekends". It's something that was a well supported idea and one that looks to be a lot of fun for all. More information on this in the coming weeks!

TAFI Imagineering 2015 Hall of Fame - Each fall, the TAFI Hall of Fame nominates and inducts some of the best armchair imagineers into the Imagineering Hall of Fame. These members are usually long time members who have had a significant impact on the community. Voting closes on Sunday November 8th at 1:30 PM EST. If you haven't voted go ahead and do so! The results will be posted Sunday afternoon!
imhof-jpg.117255

Future Competition/Event Schedule
The Choice - ends Nov 25

ICS Tournament II (The Elite Eight) - Dec 1 - Dec 31
TAFI Year End Awards (hosted by @Sam4D23) - Dec 31
The Sole Imagineer Season 2 - Redemption Island (hosted by @RMichael21) - Jan 1 - mid-April

Individual Spotlights

@Chris82 has an awesome concept thread called Noir Street that he just started up this week. Go over an check it out! It's a very interesting concept!

Also check out these long running threads with awesome creative ideas:
If I could improve Walt Disney World... by stitchcastle
The Next Generation: Walt Disney World Resort by orlando678-
A New Generation Series by DisneyManOne
Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist by mharrington

Social Media

The SoYouWantToBeAnImagineer YouTube channel - the official wdwmagic hub for all imagineering competition recap podcasts. It's a truly fantastic channel and tons of contributions from people all around the forums. Be sure to check it out and subscribe! They have a ton of great content! While non-Disney related, they put out an awesome Back to the Future podcast last night! Check it out below!

channelbanner-jpg.78672

In preparation for the TAFI Year End Awards on December 31, check out last year's award video by @Sam4D23.

Conclusion
And with that, we have the conclusion of this week's edition of the TAFI Newsletter. Tune in next week and for now have a great time imagineering! :)

DSquared

The clock has reached zero, and I have an announcement to make.

Drawing.png

The Great Disney Race
Season 1
In 2016, get ready to race through the theme park world in the official season 1 of this new hit competition! After holding some tests, and taking a look at past competitions, I hope that this competition will be the most unique experience you have ever seen! To learn more, check out the website below!

http://dsquared0730.wix.com/greatdisneyrace

Until then, LET'S GET READY TO RACE!

RMichael21

The clock has reached zero, and I have an announcement to make.

The Great Disney Race
Season 1
In 2016, get ready to race through the theme park world in the official season 1 of this new hit competition! After holding some tests, and taking a look at past competitions, I hope that this competition will be the most unique experience you have ever seen! To learn more, check out the website below!

http://dsquared0730.wix.com/greatdisneyrace

Until then, LET'S GET READY TO RACE!
When during 2016 will this be exactly?

RMichael21

I don't know yet. It all depends on how many other comps are officially announced. It will probably end up starting after a major comp gets around halfway through.
Just a heads up, myself and IDI/Sam/Space have talked and The Creator Games and TSI will be going on full steam ahead from January to May with a little bit of overlap between the two. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
2201519_orig.png

TAFI Newsletter
November 6, 2015

Introduction

Remember, remember the 5th of November. Dang, I missed it by one day!:p Greeting everyone! After another week on the Imagineer forums we have seen several things come to light, and others to look forward to on the horizon. Looking forward to spending that time with you all!

The Choice - Last Friday, due to support from the participating contestants, Challenge 7 was pushed up and began on October 30th. The Challenge is to come up with a 2015 WDI New York World's Fair attraction. Inspired by the great WED Enterprises attractions of the 1964/1965 World's Fair, and celebrating the 50th anniversary of the closing of that event, be sure to check out the attraction proposals from the remaining 8 contestants. It should be something special!

What If... - on Saturday, @DSquared will post his next installment of What If, the weekly event where he proposes a new attraction and the results of "what if" it actually happens.

*As a note for the future, DSquared is also work-shopping a new idea that may revive and be included in the original plan for short, weekend competitions called "ICS Weekends". It's something that was a well supported idea and one that looks to be a lot of fun for all. More information on this in the coming weeks!

TAFI Imagineering 2015 Hall of Fame - Each fall, the TAFI Hall of Fame nominates and inducts some of the best armchair imagineers into the Imagineering Hall of Fame. These members are usually long time members who have had a significant impact on the community. Voting closes on Sunday November 8th at 1:30 PM EST. If you haven't voted go ahead and do so! The results will be posted Sunday afternoon!
imhof-jpg.117255

Future Competition/Event Schedule
The Choice - ends Nov 25

TAFI Year End Awards (hosted by @Sam4D23) - Dec 31
The Sole Imagineer Season 2 - Redemption Island (hosted by @RMichael21) - Jan 1 - mid-April

Individual Spotlights

@Chris82 has an awesome concept thread called Noir Street that he just started up this week. Go over an check it out! It's a very interesting concept!

Also check out these long running threads with awesome creative ideas:
The Next Generation: Walt Disney World Resort by orlando678-
A New Generation Series by DisneyManOne
Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist by mharrington

Social Media

The SoYouWantToBeAnImagineer YouTube channel - the official wdwmagic hub for all imagineering competition recap podcasts. It's a truly fantastic channel and tons of contributions from people all around the forums. Be sure to check it out and subscribe! They have a ton of great content! While non-Disney related, they put out an awesome Back to the Future podcast last night! Check it out below!

channelbanner-jpg.78672

In preparation for the TAFI Year End Awards on December 31, check out last year's award video by @Sam4D23.

Conclusion
And with that, we have the conclusion of this week's edition of the TAFI Newsletter. Tune in next week and for now have a great time imagineering! :)

tumblr_mpw9zdth201qcbbyko1_400.gif

<wink> (you'll get the reference...good job!)

spacemt354

Chili's
2201519_orig.png

TAFI Newsletter
November 13, 2015

Introduction

Greetings everyone! I just wanted to thank everyone because this is the 4th newsletter I've done...and every one of them I enjoy writing more and more! I look forward to this each week, and with that said, let's see what's happening around the Imagineering forum!

The Choice - The ending to Challenge 7 this past Monday brought about some excellent individual proposals for a 2015 New York World's Fair attraction. There were several stand out projects in this Challenge and we are now down to the final six contestants. Challenge 8 is definitely a curveball...the contestants have been thrown into an alternate future where animals have been banned from zoos, and Disney must remove any real animals from Animal Kingdom and replace those attractions with different themes. It's an out of the box task, one that is different, and makes the contestants think...it should be really fun to see what they come up with next Monday, November 16 at 8PM EST.
2011_WDW_AK_logo.jpg

Disneyland Virginia Resort: An Imagineering Competition - Initiated by @Simon Sulk in Sept 2015, this continuous competition allows any and all to submit their individual proposal for a Disneyland Virginia Resort. It sounds like a very interesting concept and one I will be partaking in myself! It should be a lot of fun!

TAFI Imagineering 2015 Hall of Fame - This past Sunday, the voting booths closed and the 2015 Hall of Fame Class was announced. The four inductees voted in by the community were:

englanddg, Voxel, Zweiland, and Matt7187

Congrats again on all your hard work over the years and on your induction into the Hall of Fame! And congrats to everyone else (mharrington, LittleGiants16, and ctxak98) nominated as well!

Future Competition Schedule
The Choice - ends Nov 25

The Sole Imagineer Season 2 - Redemption Island (hosted by RMichael21) - Jan 1 - mid-April
The Great Disney Race (hosted by DSquared) - sometime in 2016
Disneyland Virginia Resort: An Imagineering Competition (hosted by Simon Sulk) - continuous through 2016

Individual Spotlights

@RadiatorSpringsRacer has a continuous thread called RSR's Transport Designs which show his fantastic art capabilities, creating very cool displays. Here's a sneak peak at some of his work!

UzwV30A.png

@Chris82 has another new thread this week called The Ultimate Sleeping Beauty Attraction. Definitely top-notch imagineering and you all should go read it. Pretty neat stuff.

@The90skid will release the next installment of "with a smile and a song" today. Should be interesting to see what ideas he comes up with!

@SimulatedIntelligentRobot started a very thought-provoking thread titled "What if Disney acquired the rights for Capcom?" The ride proposal she came up with looks fantastic and you all should definitely go see it!

Other continuous threads:

Social Media

The SoYouWantToBeAnImagineer YouTube channel - the official wdwmagic hub for all imagineering competition recap podcasts. It's a truly fantastic channel and tons of contributions from people all around the forums. Be sure to check it out and subscribe! To get ready for the 2015 Elite Eight competition, check out this recap video they did of last year's Elite Eight!

channelbanner-jpg.78672

In preparation for the TAFI Year End Awards on December 31, check out last year's award video by Sam4D23.

Op-Ed

This is a section I wanted to add to this week's newsletter and if everyone like's it, I'll continue it for the weeks to come. Here in the Op-Ed section, if I have an idea or want to recap something we all talked about during the week, I'll put it in this section of the newsletter. Basically as a jumping off point for people to comment and discuss further if they would like.

In the next few weeks or so, I wanted to start a thread I would call the TAFI Brainstorming Series.

Basically, each month, I'd propose a topic (or put topics up to vote/take suggestions) and then over the course of that month, we all as a community could brainstorm and hopefully come up with a finished product (however large or small) by the end of the month.

My topic idea for December, well I had a few of them, but one idea I liked would be to travel back to late 1998/early 1999, and instead of closing down Horizons, design a refurb of the attraction to spruce it up, much like what Disney did with Pirates (2006), Haunted Mansion (2007), Spaceship Earth (2009) and more. We could talk about the history of the attraction, the layout, what we like and dislike(if anything), what to change, and then work on it together. This could also be beneficial for some people on here who never got the opportunity to ride this historic attraction, as they can learn about the ride as we go.

If we finish earlier than the month, we can keep the theme of "refurbing extinct attractions" for the rest of the month, and do something like World of Motion, Wonders of Life, and so on. Then the next month (January) we pick a new topic and go from there.

If you have any comments or suggestion please feel free! I was curious if people would be interested in something like this.

Conclusion
Once again, we have come to the conclusion of another edition of the TAFI Newsletter. Tune in next week and for now have a great time imagineering! :)

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
@spacemt354 @Sam4D23 I'm definitely interesting in recording a "mid-season" podcast for The Choice. Let me know if either of you guys are available. I know my channel has been severely slacking in competition recaps (I believe we've only done cast assessments for SA/The Choice since like the summer...)
Sounds good!

Since there's only this challenge and the finale left, maybe we do it leading up to the finale? Or afterward?

RMichael21

TAFI - 2015 ICS STANDINGS (October, 2015 Update)

With the conclusion of The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season Three, it's time for another update to the ICS rankings! So far, it's been a great first 10 months of the 2015 ICS Season and we hope to see everyone on this list (and new competitors as well) compete in future competitions! The total point values calculated after The Choice will all lead up to the exciting ICS Tournament II in December where the 2015 Imagineering Champion will be crowned. Some things to look forward to in the future:
@Matt7187 's The Choice
@DisneyManOne 's The League of Dreamers
ICS Tournament II (Elite Eight)

@RMichael21 's The Sole Imagineer Season Two: Redemption Island

1. @tcool - 39 points
3T. @RMichael21 - 31 points*
3T. @TheOriginalTiki - 31 points
4. @JokersWild - 26 points
5. @IDInstitute - 24 points
6. @Matt7187 - 22 points
7. @Zweiland - 19 points
8. @Sam4D23 - 18 Points
11T. @Vipraa - 17 points
11T. @spacemt354 - 17 points
11T. @jdmdisney99 - 17 points
12. @DisneyPrincess1993 - 15 points
13. @orlando678- - 13 points
14. @DSquared - 12 points
15. @englanddg - 10 points
17T. @ctxak98 - 8 points
17T. @InfiniteRightEar97 - 8 points
20T. @MCParradox - 7 points
20T. @LittleGiants16 - 7 points
20T. @Bucfan87 - 7 points
21. @MonorailRed - 6 points
22. @Voxel - 5 points
23. @Brer Panther - 4 points
24. @MA Screamin' - 3.5 Points
26T. @JoseLorenzo - 3 points
26T. @Darth_Disney - 3 points
27. @Flippin'Flounder - 2 points
29T. @Nick Wilde - 1 point
29T. @ScorpionX - 1 point

*Indicates 1 point deducted from ICS point total in exchange for immunity in The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season Three: Challenge One

We're proud to say that a total of 29 different people have competed in either The Sole Imagineer, The Creator Games or The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season Three or even all three competitions! The following standings are a combination of the final standings of The Sole Imagineer, The Creator Games and The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season Three. After each remaining competition this year, the final standings will be added into these rankings.

However, don't fret. Just because you may be on the bottom of the list doesn't mean that you can't work your way up the rankings! Also, if you're near the top, don't get to comfortable, as someone could easily take you spot away with lighting speed.
It has come to my attention that there has been an error in the calculations of the October 2015 standings. By mistake, I gave Tiki 8 points for SA instead of the 4 he was supposed to receive. I'll edit the post. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom