TAFI Brainstorming Series

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Since we are coming to the end of the month and soon we will move onto a new topic, I wanted to pose a few questions to see what people's thoughts are....

The 1st question being...

If you could put Nintendo in any Universal Park....which would it be and why? It doesn't have to be a long response...just something to build off of for the next question!:)

Miru

Alright so it's February...let's come up with a new topic to discuss...I had a few, but the one below was my favorite... (or if you have one of your own, that's cool too!)

- If you could redo DCA 1.0...how would you redesign it?
I like that one! Here's my idea: What if DCA V1 was EVEN WORSE? As in, if it was even more stuck in the 2000s than the original. Imagine the insanity: Sonic ride, Shrek ride, Bionicle ride, Yu-Gi-Oh ride, Beyblade ride... Here's some more details on this twisted version of DCA... :#

Sonic Zone replaces where A Bug's Land would have gone. It has the rides "Rouge's Thieving Flyers", "Amy's Sweet Boogie", "Tikal's Mystic Train of Thought", "Tails's Watery Laboratory" and "Eggman's Drive-Bot Stadium" An expansion (which replaces Cars Land in this timeline) adds "Cosmo's Organic Fruit Spinner" and "Silver's Way Too Psychotronic UFO Dash."

Megaman Zero: The Experience appears in place of Aladdin the Musical. It's somewhat similar to Alien Encounter. Megamen Zero, .EXE, and later Geo Stellar and the four from ZX, are costumed face characters outside the attraction.

Yu-Gi-Oh: It's Time To Duel! replaces "Who Wants to be A Millionare? - Play It!"

In the end, everything about the park proves to be ridiculously garish and weird.

And for the previous one (Nintendo in Universal), assuming this includes 2nd party IP (Pokemon, Kirby, etc), I'd place an AAA Pokemon ride in KidZone, an AA Mario ride, Kirby flat ride, and Yoshi play area in the same area, replace Dudley Do-Right with Donkey Kong Country, tear down some Toon Lagoon theming for a Wario flat ride, and use TLOZ, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, and Kid Icarus to replace the Marvel stuff. If 2nd party isn't in the deal, remove Pokemon and Kirby and bump Mario to an AAA ride, and change Yoshi to a flat ride while the play area becomes Animal Crossing.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
TAFI Brainstorming Series - Reboot!
We're gonna take a different approach that hopefully will keep a consistent stream of conversation and ideas going in this thread. Basically, if someone has a topic that they want to discuss, simply pose the topic here and we can all chime in...and the cycle can repeat whenever we have something else to talk about!

I'll kick it off...I've always thought Dinoland U.S.A is poorly utilized - not only from the name that doesn't really fit with the continental/location naming styles of the other lands, but from the attractions themselves. This land has so much potential...and instead we have carnival rides and a Dinosaur ride that imo is one of the best in the park, but feels out of place in the land...a land that technically includes Finding Nemo the Musical?:confused:

Anyway - if you could redo Dinoland U.S.A, what would you do? You can start from scratch or edit what's already there. I would also think a name change is in order...I always thought Pangaea would be unique name, as it would fit the "environmental, earth" themes of the park and also include the animals that lived during that time, like dinosaurs.

The Excavator was always a cool concept
4705.Beastly_2D00_Excavator_2D00_2.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

But maybe we could merge that into another type of attraction. I think with Everest close-by..and DAK in need of some attractions, some sort of D-ticket boat ride would be cool. And exploration trails like Cretaceous Trial, just larger, better themed, and more expansive.

That's just to kick it off...what are your thoughts on Dinoland U.S.A?

Chris82

We're gonna take a different approach that hopefully will keep a consistent stream of conversation and ideas going in this thread. Basically, if someone has a topic that they want to discuss, simply pose the topic here and we can all chime in...and the cycle can repeat whenever we have something else to talk about!

I'll kick it off...I've always thought Dinoland U.S.A is poorly utilized - not only from the name that doesn't really fit with the continental/location naming styles of the other lands, but from the attractions themselves. This land has so much potential...and instead we have carnival rides and a Dinosaur ride that imo is one of the best in the park, but feels out of place in the land...a land that technically includes Finding Nemo the Musical?:confused:

Anyway - if you could redo Dinoland U.S.A, what would you do? You can start from scratch or edit what's already there. I would also think a name change is in order...I always thought Pangaea would be unique name, as it would fit the "environmental, earth" themes of the park and also include the animals that lived during that time, like dinosaurs.

But maybe we could merge that into another type of attraction. I think with Everest close-by..and DAK in need of some attractions, some sort of D-ticket boat ride would be cool. And exploration trails like Cretaceous Trial, just larger, better themed, and more expansive.

As a kid I was practically obsessed with dinosaurs, so the idea of a whole themed land based on dinosaurs would've been really exciting - before Dinoland USA, I had to make my parents go on Universe of Energy 4 times a day (I can't believe I sat through 45 mins of lecture just to see dinosaurs over and over... but I did).

I was in high school when I first visited Animal Kingdom, so maybe I lost some of that childlike enthusiasm, but I don't know... Dinoland USA just never really did anything for me. The emphasis of the land's design seemed to be far too much on American paleontology and badlands/highway stuff, rather than on the dinosaurs themselves. The signature attraction was something of a disappointment, too - yeah it had dinosaurs, but mostly it was just bumping around a non-descript collection of overly dark fake shrubberies. You saw the dinosaurs very briefly, and they just mostly stood there and snorted at you. It felt like figures in a warehouse, not like a real prehistoric space. Although I generally find Universal the inferior experience to Disney, for me personally, Jurassic Park River Adventure beats Dinoland USA by an order of magnitude.

So how would I redo Dinoland USA? I would bulldoze the whole thing, in all honesty, and start from scratch. (That only costs $1 right? I've played SimCity :p)

I would forget about paleontology, and just have the entryway be a huge portal to the Mesozoic built by the Dino Institute - you walk through a tunnel with some cool special effects and you're back in time. I would definitely do a slow moving boat ride through a primeval forest - and I would make sure to have full-size animatronic brachiosaurs that you could see from a distance as you emerge from the tunnel. I would do a restaurant on a terrace overlooking the forest and boats as well. The restaurant would, of course, sell paleo/primal cuisine, and be rustic looking :D

I would keep the Indiana Jones ride system for the thrill ride, but significantly redress it - as an unauthorized expedition into deinonychus territory. The environment would be much more lit, and the excitement would come from grotesque feathered dinosaurs popping out at you. I could also see a triceratops charging the jeep, and an escape under the legs of a sauropod. It might be a ripoff, but it would be cool to replicate the tall grass sequence from Lost World, or to have the jeeps take you into a dinosaur graveyard, or the ruins of a former science outpost that now serves as a deinonychus nest, so that you can have sparks and explosions and such.

What do you think?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
As a kid I was practically obsessed with dinosaurs, so the idea of a whole themed land based on dinosaurs would've been really exciting - before Dinoland USA, I had to make my parents go on Universe of Energy 4 times a day (I can't believe I sat through 45 mins of lecture just to see dinosaurs over and over... but I did).

I was in high school when I first visited Animal Kingdom, so maybe I lost some of that childlike enthusiasm, but I don't know... Dinoland USA just never really did anything for me. The emphasis of the land's design seemed to be far too much on American paleontology and badlands/highway stuff, rather than on the dinosaurs themselves. The signature attraction was something of a disappointment, too - yeah it had dinosaurs, but mostly it was just bumping around a non-descript collection of overly dark fake shrubberies. You saw the dinosaurs very briefly, and they just mostly stood there and snorted at you. It felt like figures in a warehouse, not like a real prehistoric space. Although I generally find Universal the inferior experience to Disney, for me personally, Jurassic Park River Adventure beats Dinoland USA by an order of magnitude.

So how would I redo Dinoland USA? I would bulldoze the whole thing, in all honesty, and start from scratch. (That only costs $1 right? I've played SimCity :p)

I would forget about paleontology, and just have the entryway be a huge portal to the Mesozoic built by the Dino Institute - you walk through a tunnel with some cool special effects and you're back in time. I would definitely do a slow moving boat ride through a primeval forest - and I would make sure to have full-size animatronic brachiosaurs that you could see from a distance as you emerge from the tunnel. I would do a restaurant on a terrace overlooking the forest and boats as well. The restaurant would, of course, sell paleo/primal cuisine, and be rustic looking :D

I would keep the Indiana Jones ride system for the thrill ride, but significantly redress it - as an unauthorized expedition into deinonychus territory. The environment would be much more lit, and the excitement would come from grotesque feathered dinosaurs popping out at you. I could also see a triceratops charging the jeep, and an escape under the legs of a sauropod. It might be a ripoff, but it would be cool to replicate the tall grass sequence from Lost World, or to have the jeeps take you into a dinosaur graveyard, or the ruins of a former science outpost that now serves as a deinonychus nest, so that you can have sparks and explosions and such.

What do you think?
Brilliant ideas!

I would forget about the paleontology too...and just focus on the actual time period...and in order to do that, we'd need to bulldoze everything. Luckily here we can!

The boat ride would be a must - and I'm thinking more like an outdoor Pirates style boat ride with a few drops maybe, but nothing big like Jurassic Park. Have it really explore the time period rather than be based on a film.

I really think half the reason why Dinosaur is so dark is for budget reasons:p I mean, if it's dark, you don't have to see the full dino and your motion-sensory system is compromised so if a little detail doesn't work, you might not notice.

Maybe go through a whole day, kinda like the sunrise effect in Universe of Energy, but on a grander scale. Wake up with the animatronic brachiosaurs and then travel through the time period to see all the other dinosaurs in their habitats.

Sounds like a really good start!:D

IAmNotAHufflepuff

I'm home from school a few hours early (after a breezy standardized writing test), so here's my two cents.

First off, I hate Chester and Hester's. You have all these imaginative ideas you could implement for dinosaurs, and you choose a tacky tourist trap with carnival games. Really?

I think the rest of the land is fine, but I would bulldoze all of Chester and Hesters.

I agree that a D-ticket boat ride similar to POC would work to replace it. Animal Kingdom desperately needs family rides.

The other parts are fine, like I said, except maybe changing the lightning and effects on Dinosaur.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Anyway - if you could redo Dinoland U.S.A, what would you do? You can start from scratch or edit what's already there.

First off, I hate Chester and Hester's. You have all these imaginative ideas you could implement for dinosaurs, and you choose a tacky tourist trap with carnival games. Really?

I think the rest of the land is fine, but I would bulldoze all of Chester and Hesters.

I'm weird. :rolleyes: I actually think Chester's and Hester's area has potential :p It just needs a little TLC :D

It's themed around the Dakotas and Montana tourism areas - Which are actually the top places for the richest fossil-bearing rocks in the world... Heck, even Restaurantosaurus is semi-accurate with it's storyline of "Hester having college interns work at the restaurant to make money on the side of their Dino Institute research...".... And, yes, the gift shops/gas stations in the middle of nowhere actually look like....

Chester%20%26%20Hester%2014.jpg
ove179173LARGE.jpg

And that's great... I think we can really play with the area they're setting Dinoland in... Just not a giant gas station/play area :p

First, Dinoland... Gotta change the name up. :p I'd probably call it "Prehistoric Park" or something o_O I'd recommend something pre-historic that sounds semi-western-y.... Just to flow better.

I'd also recommend moving the triceratops spin and some games over at the small land in between the gas station shop and Dino Institute show building. Make it more of a "miniland", or small themed area then the overarching theme of the whole land :rolleyes:

From there I'd get rid of Primeval Whirl for exploration trails and a family suspended coaster E-Ticket themed around Ice age animals and the Black Hills. And honestly, a water ride would fit well here as well... Cause come on.... you can't say this shouldn't be a thing somewhere in WDW... :rolleyes:

4227_1gZoS_Hiking_to_Harney_Peak_in_the_Black_Hills_md.jpg

Iron_Creek.jpg

Chris82

I'm weird. :rolleyes: I actually think Chester's and Hester's area has potential :p It just needs a little TLC :D

It's themed around the Dakotas and Montana tourism areas - Which are actually the top places for the richest fossil-bearing rocks in the world... Heck, even Restaurantosaurus is semi-accurate with it's storyline of "Hester having college interns work at the restaurant to make money on the side of their Dino Institute research...".... And, yes, the gift shops/gas stations in the middle of nowhere actually look like....

Chester%20%26%20Hester%2014.jpg
ove179173LARGE.jpg

And that's great... I think we can really play with the area they're setting Dinoland in... Just not a giant gas station/play area :p

First, Dinoland... Gotta change the name up. :p I'd probably call it "Prehistoric Park" or something o_O I'd recommend something pre-historic that sounds semi-western-y.... Just to flow better.

I'd also recommend moving the triceratops spin and some games over at the small land in between the gas station shop and Dino Institute show building. Make it more of a "miniland", or small themed area then the overarching theme of the whole land :rolleyes:

From there I'd get rid of Primeval Whirl for exploration trails and a family suspended coaster E-Ticket themed around Ice age animals and the Black Hills. And honestly, a water ride would fit well here as well... Cause come on.... you can't say this shouldn't be a thing somewhere in WDW... :rolleyes:

4227_1gZoS_Hiking_to_Harney_Peak_in_the_Black_Hills_md.jpg

Iron_Creek.jpg

Man, how awesome would a suspended indoor family coaster be anywhere for any reason. Stuff like that kind of depresses me when you think that last E-ticket thrill ride added to WDW was over a decade ago... sigh...

Ok, shake it off...

The Black Hills are awesome - and Ice Age stuff would work, too. Although let's be honest, on the little-boy-cool-o-meter, Tyrannosaurus Rex beats Saber-toothed Tiger any day of the week ;)

I'm pretty sure you're not alone in actually appreciating Dinoland in its current form, and in a way, it's nice to know that it isn't totally hated (I sort of imagine Chester and Hester crying alone in a corner at a Disney fan party...).

That said, the really surprising thing is that people respond positively to any land in Animal Kingdom at all, given that Rhode's stated philosophy was to make all the man-made, "architected" areas of the park deliberately ugly and harsh-looking so that emerging into nature would feel like a relief. It's why they chose the particular box-like architecture for Harambe, and (presumably) the tacky tourist-trap architecture of Dinoland. This philosophy appears to be getting downplayed somewhat in the Africa expansion and the renovation of Discovery Island (finally), but given how many extreme fans there are of areas of the park that are supposed to repulse you, I have to find it fascinating - Disney tries to be ugly and fails lol

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Man, how awesome would a suspended indoor family coaster be anywhere for any reason. Stuff like that kind of depresses me when you think that last E-ticket thrill ride added to WDW was over a decade ago... sigh...

Ok, shake it off...

The Black Hills are awesome - and Ice Age stuff would work, too. Although let's be honest, on the little-boy-cool-o-meter, Tyrannosaurus Rex beats Saber-toothed Tiger any day of the week ;)

I'm pretty sure you're not alone in actually appreciating Dinoland in its current form, and in a way, it's nice to know that it isn't totally hated (I sort of imagine Chester and Hester crying alone in a corner at a Disney fan party...).

That said, the really surprising thing is that people respond positively to any land in Animal Kingdom at all, given that Rhode's stated philosophy was to make all the man-made, "architected" areas of the park deliberately ugly and harsh-looking so that emerging into nature would feel like a relief. It's why they chose the particular box-like architecture for Harambe, and (presumably) the tacky tourist-trap architecture of Dinoland. This philosophy appears to be getting downplayed somewhat in the Africa expansion and the renovation of Discovery Island (finally), but given how many extreme fans there are of areas of the park that are supposed to repulse you, I have to find it fascinating - Disney tries to be ugly and fails lol
I meant to respond to this...I agree with what you said! I never even really thought about it that way.

If we could add the Black Hills somewhere that would be cool too...I can't say no to that, looks too awesome!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom