TAFI Alliance Awards Official Nomination Thread

DinoInstitute

Well, if you create it, you can always go back and edit it later...

Perhaps start by listing the main comps, then go back to the end of SA Season 1 and start from there.

I know jdm is including Season 1 for his nomination, but I'm guessing the general consensus is that Season 1 was the "end" of last year...as far as TAFI/ICS/ACS...
Alright, I can do that. I'll make a full thread now and edit it throughout the night

Sam Magic

Original Poster
I agree! As a matter of fact, after Sam pointed out you could use non-comp concepts, I wanted to find a way to work in one of his park concepts. Amazing!:D
You are supposed to/highly encouraged not to use contests work unless it is a group award or something.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You are supposed to/highly encouraged not to use contests work unless it is a group award or something.
I can see how this is a good thing, however, I'll suggest (and it's a question/suggestion, that's all) that there are some (like me) that largely do the team comps.

That doesn't mean that some stuff isn't mine alone.

For example, the art that jdmdisney99 suggested was mine. I had feedback, of course, but I did all the work.

Red gets feedback, but that shouldn't mean her art isn't acceptable either.

Team Air's Middle Earth was mostly me as well. ctxak barely came in. Just ask any judge on the PM thread, it was silent (even though I was sharing).

I hear your point, however, perhaps it's best to let people nominate first, then clarify. No reason why a group can't win.

If we want to separate it out, it's simple, trim down the categories, then make a "group/indy" nomination for them.

My 2 cents.

jdmdisney99

Wait, so we shouldn't nominate stuff from competitions?
Yes you can. I think the point is that you shouldn't be narrow-minded and focus solely on comps. I don't think any of us really did though. :shrug:

Meanwhile...
If we want to separate it out, it's simple, trim down the categories, then make a "group/indy" nomination for them.

My 2 cents.
Something like this would work very well next year.

I'm also thinking we might want to take out the randomization of nominations. They are supposed to be the best, right? I think we have a small enough pool in each category to determine winners.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes you can. I think the point is that you shouldn't be narrow-minded and focus solely on comps. I don't think any of us really did though. :shrug:

Meanwhile...

Something like this would work very well next year.

I'm also thinking we might want to take out the randomization of nominations. They are supposed to be the best, right? I think we have a small enough pool in each category to determine winners.
I don't really see the need, though I do think the Appendix sort of thing like IDI is doing now works well.

We all (ALL of us) get to nominate, the top 3 nominations from each category (or whatever, just tossing it out there) get to make it to final votes.

We all vote on the top one for each category.

Done.

Who cares if it's from a comp? And who cares if it's group or individual unless it specifically states it is?

Of the 6 people who have put forth their nominations, we all had a nice blend (I think) of stuff that is and isn't comp only, or group only.

And, if a "group" submission takes something like "Best Art" or something like that, who cares? It's like when a Makeup team wins "Best Makeup"...it's not just one person.

This is about patting ourselves on the back and remembering all the great work we've done (ALL of us) over the past year.

(p.s. This sounds a lot grumpier than I mean it to be, I just don't know how else to say it)

jdmdisney99

I don't really see the need, though I do think the Appendix sort of thing like IDI is doing now works well.

We all (ALL of us) get to nominate, the top 3 nominations from each category (or whatever, just tossing it out there) get to make it to final votes.

We all vote on the top one for each category.

Done.

Who cares if it's from a comp? And who cares if it's group or individual unless it specifically states it is?

Of the 6 people who have put forth their nominations, we all had a nice blend (I think) of stuff that is and isn't comp only, or group only.

And, if a "group" submission takes something like "Best Art" or something like that, who cares? It's like when a Makeup team wins "Best Makeup"...it's not just one person.

This is about patting ourselves on the back and remembering all the great work we've done (ALL of us) over the past year.

(p.s. This sounds a lot grumpier than I mean it to be, I just don't know how else to say it)
Yes, I agree with you. I'm just saying, you can't determine the "Top 3" nominations in a random process.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
For example, a LOT of people seemed to agree that Vox, JDM and Vipraa did great in WEDCAR.
Yes, I agree with you. I'm just saying, you can't determine the "Top 3" nominations in a random process.
Well, sortof you can. Primary vote, if you will.

Everyone here gets to submit what they want (within a few limits, as are already set by the titles of the awards).

Those get added up (see what I did earlier). Top three from those move on to final voting.

Something like that.

Zweiland can nominate a shirt from the Workshop thread for best Art, but it may not make it. But, it's cool to nominate it anyhow! Make sense?

What I've already seen from running through the 6 who have submitted is that there is already some general consensus...and that is what we are going for.

It's not "random" as we have a limited set of data to start with...people who posted stuff in Imagineering either as solo or comp projects (not just chatter).

Hence why IDI doing what he's doing will help a LOT next year, because that dataset can be limited even better for the next time. Meaning, all comps you get in regardless.

Non-comps, if it's included, great, if not, you can bring it up to the appendix person to add it.

For example, bet you all forgot about my Hollywood Studios Love threads from years ago. :p

My work there was good enough that it's been picked up on some other imagineering forums (not our new friends, but others, who...with credit, borrows some of my ideas)

And I know I'm not alone there.

jdmdisney99

For example, a LOT of people seemed to agree that Vox, JDM and Vipraa did great in WEDCAR.

Well, sortof you can. Primary vote, if you will.

Everyone here gets to submit what they want (within a few limits, as are already set by the titles of the awards).

Those get added up (see what I did earlier). Top three from those move on to final voting.

Something like that.

Zweiland can nominate a shirt from the Workshop thread for best Art, but it may not make it. But, it's cool to nominate it anyhow! Make sense?

What I've already seen from running through the 6 who have submitted is that there is already some general consensus...and that is what we are going for.

It's not "random" as we have a limited set of data to start with...people who posted stuff in Imagineering either as solo or comp projects (not just chatter).

Hence why IDI doing what he's doing will help a LOT next year, because that dataset can be limited even better for the next time. Meaning, all comps you get in regardless.

Non-comps, if it's included, great, if not, you can bring it up to the appendix person to add it.
I agree with everything you're saying. By "random process", I mean the random choice websites we were going to use to choose the "Top" 3 nominations. What you describe is actually based in fact, and it isn't really random like the website that was announced as the method for choosing the final 3 nominations for each category.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I agree with everything you're saying. By "random process", I mean the random choice websites we were going to use to choose the "Top" 3 nominations. What you describe is actually based in fact, and it isn't really random like the website that was announced as the method for choosing the final 3 nominations for each category.
Oh, now I know what you mean. I didn't understand all that randomization stuff when it came up.

But now the convo is public, so....

I agree. I think everyone in wdwmagic who wants to nominate (doesn't have to be limited to the Imagineering forum regulars, though it probably would be), should.

I would add a caveat that...they can't just nominate one category, themselves or anything they had anything to do with, or do TBD anymore. Come up with them all or don't.

We are like the Academy in the Academy awards. A group that is nominating people from our own group.

Tally that up, and the people with the highest scores (top 3 or whatever) get into a final vote where the final razor happens.

Not sure why we need a "randomizing website"?

This is about rewarding and recognizing people who have contributed stuff we all enjoy for the work we all enjoy.

And part of that is the nomination process and the excitement of being nominated alone!

My 2 cents...again...or is that 4 cents, I dunno, I lost track.

Sam Magic

Original Poster
Well, doesn't seem like a great one.

What if Vipraa, who is well on his way to a strong lead in a few categories, doesn't pass the "randomizer"?

But, the tshirt from the Workshop does?

Is that fair? Is that an honest representation of what this is all about?
I honestly was expecting a much more diverse and larger pool. In my opinion I was expecting there to be more nominations for concepts posted outside of contests which is why I had the randomization.

These are all great ideas, just wished they had been shared before I posted this thread. It's not like either one of you did not have the opportunity to.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I honestly was expecting a much more diverse and larger pool. In my opinion I was expecting there to be more nominations for concepts posted outside of contests which is why I had the randomization.

These are all great ideas, just wished they had been shared before I posted this thread. It's not like either one of you did not have the opportunity to.
Dude, you done good with this thread. It's yours.

Run it how you see fit!

Sam Magic

Original Poster
Dude, you done good with this thread. It's yours.

Run it how you see fit!
I mean I serously like the ideas here and I want to use them next year and possibly next year (if I host this again, personally I would like to see a new host every year). I'm just not sure what to do, I think I will just not do the randomization thing and instead nominate by majority then have the people not nominated voted like before.

Figments Friend

Question: Do our nominations have to be from the competitions?

I kind of want to nominate @Figments Friend for this awesome artwork:

DiscoveryBayhandpaintedt-shirt_zps44cc7022.jpg

Shucks...i don't know what to say, except...
Thank you !
I feel honored.

:D

For those wondering what they are looking at...this is a hand drawn, hand painted t-shirt i did for a recent visit to Disneyland.
Had to do something special to honor Tony's fabulous 'Discovery Bay' concept since it was it's 40th anniversary this year...

jdmdisney99

True. I don't mind, really. It's up to you Sam. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom