Tactics to make a frightend child feel comfortable?

My son turned 4 on our last trip and we would say "do you want to go on such and such ride?" his answer would be no to practically everything. So we decided to stop asking and just say we are going on this ride and 9 times out of 10 he ended up liking it, if he looked a bit scared we would make jokes or say things that he would laugh at like "the crocodile is biting Captain Hooks butt" for distraction and he would yell things back at the rides like "Meanie, Capt Hook!". But the other thing that worked for him was he got a sword at Cinderella's Royal Dinner and he would bring it with him everywhere saying I can use this, if I get scared. We skipped things, we knew would freak him out like the HM and figure someday he'll want to go on it. You just have to be flexible and he might just surprise you, my son who is extremely apprehensive about new or different things absolutely insisted on going on Thunder Mt. and I must have asked him 50 times if he was sure, b/c I knew he wouldn't like it. But he insisted and I took him on, now he did want to get off pretty much immediately but I held on to him, since getting off was not an option, and just kept telling him it would be over very soon and kept talking to him and he made it thru without even crying. He then told me, I didn't like the fast train but maybe I will when I'm bigger and I told him he probably would. I would say don't force him on anything it will only make it worse, gently coax and if still doesn't work then skip it. You're there to have fun and what you think is fun just maybe not be his idea of fun yet.

happydisneymom

scary rides for 6 year old

My son is 6 and is hesitant about a lot of things and I have explained about the animitronics are just moving statues. That they won't jump out and try to hurt him. I know it takes the fun out of the ride now, but once he's there it will be just a reminder to him to relax and enjoy the ride. He will still enjoy the magic.

I have had my share of stopping rides to let us off because of him. We just keep on trying.

We also have looked at videos online too. Good luck!

henryt93

I definitely second the YouTube idea. I am still a little jittery when it comes to fireworks, yet I just desensitize myself to each fireworks show before hand. I could practically conduct the fireworks for IllumiNations by now!

Also, it helps if they know that on the rides, there is no REAL danger. For example, the ghosts in the Haunted Mansion aren't actually going to do anything to you. They're actually nice and are just acting.

princessmommy

I tried this in Fantasmic b/c I knew my son would be scared of the dragon. I told him before that there was going to be alot of fire and a scary dragon, but that Mickey would save the day!!! He got a little scared but when Mickey came out he knew everything was ok. So if it is something that you have been on before or have seen, tell him exactly what to expect, so that if there is a scary part he knows it won't last...( and that Mickey always saves the day!!! LOL!!!)

MouseearsDeb

Our DS6 has the same problem with Fireworks and loud noises. The last time we went was in 06 and he was 5. We were there for MNSSH and when the fireworks started he DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL! I even had the little stick in ear plugs. This fall when we go, I'm going to take the ear muffs like mentioned before. We've 'tested' these at home while shooting off our own fireworks. They seemed to help.

You can go to your local Party City and get the glow necklaces, bracelets, etc. for next to nothing. Boys seem to really like these things, maybe it will help him with the darkness. We usually tell DS6 if something is scarry to close his eyes and put his hands over his ears.

His first thrill ride was Thunder Mountain when he had just turned 3(he's tall for his age). When we got off the ride, my husband had permanent stretch marks in his t-shirt where DS6 had a death grip. Now, it is his favorite ride. Go figure???? :shrug:

Good luck and I would say the bigger deal you make of it the less fun everyone will have. There are a lot of things to do that I'm sure he will enjoy as well as everyone else.

ELopez

We always have a small flashlight (like a pen light) handy. It's always worked great.

And, yes, don't force him onto something that might scare him, or he'll never trust you again and the vacation will be over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom