Tablets and WDW Parks

MaxsDad

Back story: Our portable DVD player broke, and my wife asked for a new one as a gift as she uses it on the total of 32 hours we spend commuting to and from WDW each year. I figure they are on the way out tech-wise, so I decide to go ahead and buy our first tablet/iAnything device. I opted fot the Samsung Galaxy 3 7 inch. Very portable. Big enough to view a movie in your lap. We are inexperienced in this area to say the least, we do not even have smartphones.

So I have started loading digital copies of movies we have gotten with our discs over the years. (The issues there a whole nother question.) It occurs to me that this device may be able to enhance our WDW vacation on site. So here are the questions:

I know all resorts now have free WiFi, but do the parks, as our tablet is not cellular?

Which app do you prefer for the purpose of park touring, with emphasis on accuracy of information with regard to wait times and FP distribution info?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
All the parks have free wifi, but my experience with it has been less than stellar. It would appear that the system is at times overloaded. The only app I use in the parks is the official Disney one called My Disney Experience. I can get ride wait times, reserve dining and get show times all from the same app.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

Original Poster
Any info is better than none I suppose. I have been touring for years without it. if signal is bad, I will just rough it out with the tip board.

thanks folks!

Upvote 0

acishere

I could not get the wifi to work properly on my Galaxy S4 so I just burned through my data plan.

My Disney app is the best free Android choice if you don't mind signing up or already have. It offers line timesand you can make reservations. Undercover Tourist unfortunately has not updated their ride list on the Android version and it doesn't come with the crowd forecast & restaurant information the iPhone version has. Which is unfortunate because the UT app was a lot more intuitive to use for wait times.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

I have both Android and Apple devices, and I find that the apple devices are way better because of the apps. Mydisney experience app gives you everything you need to know, wait times, your resort and food reservations, show times, on and on. This app is only on the apple devices, or on a select few Android devices, which are not great. As far as wifi in the parks, ATT has taken over Verizon as the official sponsor and provider of services, and are currently upgrading and installing better portals, or signal sites. As of now, the best fit for WDW is an Apple device with ATT service

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have both Android and Apple devices, and I find that the apple devices are way better because of the apps. Mydisney experience app gives you everything you need to know, wait times, your resort and food reservations, show times, on and on. This app is only on the apple devices, or on a select few Android devices, which are not great. As far as wifi in the parks, ATT has taken over Verizon as the official sponsor and provider of services, and are currently upgrading and installing better portals, or signal sites. As of now, the best fit for WDW is an Apple device with ATT service
MyDisney is available on pretty much every device. (not sure about WinPhone 8) I have it on an original Motorola Atrix running Gingerbread.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

Original Poster
MyDisney is available on pretty much every device. (not sure about WinPhone 8) I have it on an original Motorola Atrix running Gingerbread.

I went to our MyDisneyEx page on the tablet and clicked the download mobile app. It gave me an error message. I guess I am going to have to call them again. They had some of my ressies messed up the first time I called, and they still have not been able to fix an issue with linking my wife's AP to our Experience.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I went to our MyDisneyEx page on the tablet and clicked the download mobile app. It gave me an error message. I guess I am going to have to call them again. They had some of my ressies messed up the first time I called, and they still have not been able to fix an issue with linking my wife's AP to our Experience.
What kind of tablet are you using and what OS version is it? If it is an Android, try simply getting it from the Google Play store.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

Original Poster
What kind of tablet are you using and what OS version is it? If it is an Android, try simply getting it from the Google Play store.

Is is a Galaxy, so it has Andriod 4. When I go to Play Store, I see Mobile Magic, but have yet to find MDx. I will look again.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

Original Poster
First of all, thanks. You are really going above and beyond.
"Your device isn't compatible with this version"

It is a Galaxy 3 with the Andriod 4.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

That is odd. If it works on an older version of Android, you would think that it would work an a newer one.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I have the .apk for it if you know how to load those. Send me a pm with your email and I can send it to you. My Asus tablet says it's not compatible on the play store, but it works just fine if I load it manually.

That is odd. If it works on an older version of Android, you would think that it would work an a newer one.
I think it has to do with some tablet sizes, not the Android version unfortunately.

Upvote 0

luv

I got both Disney apps and a slew of others.

Lines is the only app I didn't delete. It's way better than the others. But it comes with the subscription to touringplans.com and not everyone wants to pay the $7 or $12 for that site.

I've never taken my iPad to a park, but have had nothing but trouble with wifi when I tried to use it, which I no longer do.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom