Table Service for a picky eater

Crystal J

Original Poster
We are going to WDW in late October with myself, my mom and my sister. Both me and my mom have been several time, but this is my sisters first visit. I am the most adventurous eater in my family by far with my mom being average and my sister being really fussy (She is 29 - yet has the diet of a 4 year old). We plan to do several table service meal - one each day for our weeklong trip with our other meals being quick service. We are not on the dining plan, but if I had the budget I would do all table service since I am not into fast food where as my sister would do all fast food so this is our compermise.
Here is a sample of her diet: Cheeseburger, hot dogs/brats, Fries, Pizza (Meat on it only), Cheese - mozzarella sticks are a favorite, Chicken Tenders, Plain grilled chicken breast, rice, macaroni and cheese and other similar foods. She will eat a hamburger and hot dogs - but not steak or pork chops (Someone explain that?). She hates all vegetables, most fruits and won’t eat anything spicy. She won’t eat any sea food - even fish sticks. Mexican for example - only tacos or quesadillas plain - just meat and cheese - nothing else.
Now the challenge - where do I eat??? She is an adult - who does eat quite a bit so kids menu is not an option. I was thinking Via Napoli maybe, Sci Fi Drive in and The Plaza - where else?

stevehousse

Honestly your best bet is to go look at all the different restaurants that you would like to dine at yourself and make sure there is something she can eat. Even give her options so she can look herself.

My wife and kid are very picky eaters as well. I'll eat anything! But I always make sure there is something for her to order, and hve her look at the menus too.

slappy magoo

Check out menus both on this site and at allears.net/dining

Buffets, while expensive, will usually afford you the selection and variety you prefer, while also having many comfort food staples at kids' tables for your sister (which she can revisit as much as she wants, no worries about kids' portions). Trails' End at Fort Wilderness is probably the cheapest buffet on property (while not being cheap) and would probably be her idea of heaven. Crystal Palace is probably also a good choice, as is Chef Mickey's, even if you're not there for the characters. Boma especially might be a good bet - their kids' station has pizza and mac-and-cheee and chicken fingers and french fries, but the rest of the food might be great for you. And plenty of unlimited tiny desserts for her to try.

Beaches and Cream is a place she'd probably enjoy, all about the burgers and ice cream.
Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern is Thanksgiving style and all-you-care-to-eat - turkey, mac-and-cheese, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls and icky vegetables.

Betsyboo

Well if your not on the DDP she can always order from the kids menu at TS that aren't buffets.

*Just re-read your post. Kids meals out. I'd agree with others on Trails End and Crystal Palace. If she likes meat you can try the Biergarten. My DS loves it and is very picky.

JillC LI

I second the Biergarten recommendation for the types of foods she likes and others that you can enjoy as well. Plus it's a really fun atmosphere.

Crystal J

Original Poster
Thanks - I sent her the menus...I will tell her that she can probably get larger kids portions. I think Epcot will be our hardest, If she can get the kids foods at the Garden Grill that would make her happy.

Weather_Lady

Pick the restaurants you and your mother want -- there's no need to dumb down your choices, because your sister should be able to find something she likes almost anywhere. Once you've picked them, you can double-check the menus if you llike, but honestly, I can hardly think of a single table service restaurant that doesn't serve at least one of the things you mentioned. (Grilled chicken and rice are everywhere -- even places like the Coral Reef, a seafood restaurant, offer multiple grilled chicken and pasta options. And one or more of chicken tenders, hamburgers, hot dogs, pasta, mac & cheese and pizza are found on every kids' menu, and many of the adult menus.)

Even if you didn't check the menus and you ended up at a restaurant that didn't have something your sister liked some night, I'm sure she's mature enough to recognize that it's not always "all about her," and make the best of it.

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

Yikes I feel your pain, I too have had people in my group who can be difficult when it comes to dining.
Here's some suggestions:

MK - Liberty Tree Tavern, Plaza Restaurant

Epcot
- Biergarten, Garden Grill, La Hacienda de San Angel, San Angel Inn, Via Napoli

DHS - Mama Melrose's Ristorante, 50's Prime Time Cafe

DAK - Rainforest Cafe

DTD - Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex

Resorts - Beaches & Cream (BCR), ESPN Zone (BWR), Grand Floridian Cafe (GFR), Il Mulino Trattoria (Swan), The Fountain (Dolphin), Maya Grill (CSR), Shutter's (CBR), Trail's End Buffet (FW), Turf Club (SSR)

stevehousse

Garden Grill is a great place at Epcot! This turned out to be one of our new favorites on our last trip! The kids Mac n cheese topped with goldfish crackers is really good! LOL

s&k'smom

I gotta go with the buffets too, lots of choices Trail's End being our favorite. If you are doing a lot of QS that's pretty easy to go with a picky eater because there are always choices. We like Columbia Harbor House in MK has something for everyone. Studio's we love the PTC.

Disney Shib

The Biergarten is great! We swear by it. Ton's of option at the buffet for even the pickiest of eaters. I've noticed that it's not too difficult finding a burger or hot dog on many of the menu's. That shouldn't be a huge issue. The pizza at Via Napoli in Italy at Epcot is really good too.

shipley731

About a year and a half ago, my husband & I took one of his friends, her partner, and child to dinner at Flying Fish. We knew they were vegetarians and they already had reservations at Cali Grill, Jiko, & Boma. We knew that there are generally veggie friendly options at Flying Fish. When we got to the restaurant, we discovered the partner not only was a vegetarian, but she disliked vegetables as well. Evidently, she eats a lot of cheese pizza. The waitress at Flying Fish was very nice and accommodating offering many suggestions not on the menu. Our guest ended up getting an adult size portion of Mac & Cheese. (Mickey pasta & all.) She was happy and everyone seemed to enjoy their meal. From the waitress's reaction, I didn't get the feeling that this was an unusual thing. I'm sure any table service restaurant will be able to come up with something that will appease your picky eater.

jaklgreen

Pick the restaurants you and your mother want -- there's no need to dumb down your choices, because your sister should be able to find something she likes almost anywhere. Once you've picked them, you can double-check the menus if you llike, but honestly, I can hardly think of a single table service restaurant that doesn't serve at least one of the things you mentioned. (Grilled chicken and rice are everywhere -- even places like the Coral Reef, a seafood restaurant, offer them. And one or more of chicken tenders, hamburgers, hot dogs, pasta, mac & cheese and pizza are found on every kids' menu, and many of the adult menus.)

Even if you didn't check the menus and you ended up at a restaurant that didn't have something your sister liked some night, I'm sure she's mature enough to recognize that it's not always "all about her," and make the best of it.

Have to say I agree with you. There is no reason why a grown up with no medical needs can not find something to eat no matter where they are. My hubby was super picky when we first met because his mom catered to him. He had never even tried other foods to know if he would like them or not. I told him I was not catering to him and guess what he all of a sudden could eat most anything. My husbands father also had a crappy diet and his heart exploded at age 59 and died instantly.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I just went through the same thing. My oldest sister is 29 and very picky, however, she does eat any type of meat.
I ended up going with 'Ohana, Mama Melrose (may switch to 50's), Be Our Guest, Breakfast @ Tusker House, Cali Grill (she agreed to suffer through this meal for my other sister's Birthday), Yachtsman Steakhouse, Breakfast @ Akershus, and Via Napoli.

I definitely say stick with Sci-fi & Via Napoli, maybe Beaches & Cream, any buffet will do (Boma, has plenty of regular food and enough unique items that may make everyone happy), Liberty Tree Tavern, or try breakfast buffets/character meals.

NeedMoreMickey

Since you sent her the menus she will have some kind of idea of the food at each restaurant maybe she can find something she likes. A few years ago at Le Cellier my mom couldn’t find anything on the menu that she liked, she doesn’t eat steak, she talked to the server and he suggested grilled chicken with a side dish that wasn’t on the menu. The same basic thing happened at Living Seas, I don’t like seafood and they helped me with something that wasn’t on the menu. Your sister is the first guest with this problem and Disney is used to guest with limited dining request so I'm sure they will be helpful at the restaurant.

DisneyPrincess5

She will eat a hamburger and hot dogs - but not steak or pork chops (Someone explain that?).

I laughed out load at this. Well hot dogs technically aren't even real food almost and the jury's still out on hamburgers. So funny.

If i were you guys, I'd hit the buffets and avoid places highly saturated with ethnic foods as that probably won't go over well. Good luck!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom