Table in Wonderland and Annual Passholder

nvincent1117

Original Poster
First off, sorry if this has been posted about before. I tried to find anything on this and could not.
We are thinking of buying Tables in Wonderland and we are annual pass holders. I know annual pass holders get 10% off at select places, and with TIW you get 20%. Can you combine the two discounts? So you get 30% off or do they just take the best offer basically.
Also I read somewhere that TIW adds 18% to the bill automatically. That means you technically only get like 2% discount. Is that true?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
First off, sorry if this has been posted about before. I tried to find anything on this and could not.
We are thinking of buying Tables in Wonderland and we are annual pass holders. I know annual pass holders get 10% off at select places, and with TIW you get 20%. Can you combine the two discounts? So you get 30% off or do they just take the best offer basically.
Also I read somewhere that TIW adds 18% to the bill automatically. That means you technically only get like 2% discount. Is that true?
As @donsullivan stated, the discounts cannot be added together. The 18% that the TiW adds is for the tip at a TS restaurant. If you receive less than stellar service, you can have a manager either remove or lessen that amount.

Unless you weren't planning on tipping, the 18% added shouldn't matter to you. We have always received outstanding service, so add more to the tip. We love the TiW card.

nvincent1117

Original Poster
As @donsullivan stated, the discounts cannot be added together. The 18% that the TiW adds is for the tip at a TS restaurant. If you receive less than stellar service, you can have a manager either remove or lessen that amount.

Unless you weren't planning on tipping, the 18% added shouldn't matter to you. We have always received outstanding service, so add more to the tip. We love the TiW card.

We normally do tip 18% but we just didn't know if that were true or not. I was just curious as to if you get 20% or technically 2% if you include the tip. If that makes sense lol
Were trying to figure out if its really worth it. Are there other benefits that TIW members get?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We normally do tip 18% but we just didn't know if that were true or not. I was just curious as to if you get 20% or technically 2% if you include the tip. If that makes sense lol
Were trying to figure out if its really worth it. Are there other benefits that TIW members get?
Well, yes, you do get 20%, since if you didn't use the card it would be the full bill plus the tip. The only real benefit is the 20% discount, but you have to remember that it is also good at the lounges - such as Tambu Lounge, Mizner's, etc. for 20% off of adult beverages.

If you think that you will be spending at least $750 on food/adult beverage over the 13 month period that the card is good for, then yes, it is worth it. We save the $150 cost in just one trip, and we usually get 3 trips out of each card.

nvincent1117

Original Poster
Well, yes, you do get 20%, since if you didn't use the card it would be the full bill plus the tip. The only real benefit is the 20% discount, but you have to remember that it is also good at the lounges - such as Tambu Lounge, Mizner's, etc. for 20% off of adult beverages.

If you think that you will be spending at least $750 on food/adult beverage over the 13 month period that the card is good for, then yes, it is worth it. We save the $150 cost in just one trip, and we usually get 3 trips out of each card.
Hm. I mean when we go it is only 3 of us, 2 adults 1 child. So I am thinking it may not be worth it. I mean I guess saving 20% is worth it, but I just read an article that said it wasn't worth it because the 18% gratuity is calculated with the amount of the bill before the 20% off so you really only save 2%, so in my eyes I was thinking so I am paying for the TIW to only save 2% when I can save 10%?
We normally don't tip at quick service though and I read that there are 3 quick service places you can use TIW. So you still have to pay 18% tip?

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
The actual breakdown is as follows (based on $100 bill).
Menu Price is 100. With TIW the menu price becomes $80.
Tax is on the $80 (in all locations except for ALL STAR tax is 6.5% = $85.20 All Star Resorts is 7% so $85.60)
At all table locations TIW will add an 18% tip on the PRE-discount meal price: 100 is $18 tip.

So at a counter resort that accepts TIW, the $100 meal is $85.20 ($80+ 5.20 tax) or $85.60 at All Star Resorts
At a Table that accepts a TIW the $100 meal is $103.20 ($80 + 5.20 tax+18 tip) (since there are no tables in the County that All Star Resort is located)

Figuring the same meal without the TIW.
$100 + 6.5% + 18% (assuming you tip 18%) = $124.50

So in short, in general you save more than $20 at a table because you are not taxed on that full $100 meal but are charged the 18% on the non-discounted rate.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Hm. I mean when we go it is only 3 of us, 2 adults 1 child. So I am thinking it may not be worth it. I mean I guess saving 20% is worth it, but I just read an article that said it wasn't worth it because the 18% gratuity is calculated with the amount of the bill before the 20% off so you really only save 2%, so in my eyes I was thinking so I am paying for the TIW to only save 2% when I can save 10%?
We normally don't tip at quick service though and I read that there are 3 quick service places you can use TIW. So you still have to pay 18% tip?
No tip at the QS places. The AP discount is not good at every single place the TiW card is accepted, and vice versa. And please also remember that if you do the AP discount, that is only for the meal, and not the adult beverages. It is also not accepted at any lounges, so if that is something that you like to do, then the TiW will save you more. It works for us and our style, but not for everyone.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Tax is on the $80 (in all locations except for ALL STAR tax is 6.5% = $85.20 All Star Resorts is 7% so $85.60)
At all table locations TIW will add an 18% tip on the PRE-discount meal price: 100 is $18 tip.

So at a counter resort that accepts TIW, the $100 meal is $85.20 ($80+ 5.20 tax) or $85.60 at All Star Resorts
At a Table that accepts a TIW the $100 meal is $103.20 ($80 + 5.20 tax+18 tip) (since there are no tables in the County that All Star Resort is located)

So in short, in general you save more than $20 at a table because you are not taxed on that full $100 meal but are charged the 18% on the non-discounted rate.
Excellent synopsis! Thanks for that.

nvincent1117

Original Poster

Thank you that makes a lot of sense!

danyoung56

I have used the card for years, and I'm a single park stormer. I always tip at least 18%, so it all works out very well for me. I try to stagger my trips to where I can get 3 trips on 1 AP and TiW card, so I really enjoy great savings!

bee

I mean I guess saving 20% is worth it, but I just read an article that said it wasn't worth it because the 18% gratuity is calculated with the amount of the bill before the 20% off
I would hope you would tip on the original bill anyway. That's the standard when any coupon or discount is applied.

My wife and I had the card for the past year and saved $285.04 in total. We took two 5-night trips and 4 1-3 night trips. For most meals it was just the two of us, and twice we treated her parents and brother (5 total adults) to non-character buffets. We paid $100 for it before the price increase but it would still be worth it at the current price of $150.

ratherbeinwdw

We make a point of eating several meals at the AoA food court as there is no tip required. We save a minimum of 8.00 just on breakfast each morning we eat in the court. We also saved the full 20% at Restaurantasaurus in AK. Make sure and read the guide carefully to find the few places that are quick service and don't require the 18% gratuity.

danyoung

Something else to consider- for the included Epcot restaurants, the AP discount is only available for lunch, not dinner, and only Monday-Friday, not on weekends.

Say what? If we're still talking about the Tables in Wonderland card, this is totally not correct. I've had the card since it first came out, and I've never had the above listed restrictions.

HurricaneHanna

Say what? If we're still talking about the Tables in Wonderland card, this is totally not correct. I've had the card since it first came out, and I've never had the above listed restrictions.
I was referring to the AP discount. The OP was comparing the savings they currently get with an AP versus additional savings to be had by purchasing a TiW card. The restrictions I stated are for the AP dining discounts. I was trying to help the OP establish the value of TiW for his/her own assumed usage.

donsullivan

Premium Member

One thing to keep in mind on this portion. That is so that the servers tip is calculated on the total value of the transaction and the service they would provide for that. In my opinion, the server should not be penalized with a lower tip just because you used Tables in Wonderland.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
And don't forget that 20% discount includes alcohol. So if you purchases the DDP, the TiW card would cover alcohol and anything else not covered under the particular DDP you chose, like appetizers.

3 Killian's at Raglan Road using TiW, including the 18% included gratuity, came in around $11.

JohnD

I haven't been back in more than a year. Returning 10/29-11/4. Would it be worth it to purchase the card during the trip then use it? Or just go directly with AP discount?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I haven't been back in more than a year. Returning 10/29-11/4. Would it be worth it to purchase the card during the trip then use it? Or just go directly with AP discount?
If you plan to spend more than $750 in qualified food and alcohol over a year Tables in Wonderland will save you money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom