Swiss Family Treehouse closed for refurbishment 6th July 2016 - 24th September 2016.

FigmentForver96

The treehouse isn't a thrill ride or very exciting, but it is a fun diversion and, like @WondersOfLife said, it does look great and fits in well with the area. When my boys were younger, they loved going up in the tree and looking at all the clever things, dreaming aloud of what it would be like to live there. DH and I still like to climb it, especially about dusk, even if we are slower than before. Will be interesting to see if they change anything or simply clean and spruce it up a bit.
It's things like this that make Disney unique. Things like this and Tom Sawyer Island give guest this unique opportunity to just take in something like it being thrown in your face. A very timeless classic

Dizney Crew

Has to be the biggest waste of space in the park, but since it seems its not going anywhere. So I would like if they at least renovated some of the rooms with new props.

21stamps

You're not in the minority when you back away from this WDW fan-site and actually compare with everyone all the way to the general public.

I went on this thing last July for the first time ever..... I'm not sure what I was expecting, but lord I was both underwhelmed and exhausted afterwards. Horrible experience. There's nothing to do or look at. All you do is walk, climb, and walk some more.. But I don't want it to be removed. Because it's a really awesome LARGE prop piece for Adventureland down below and it looks impressive.
Except for all of the people who grew up loving the treehouse! Like someone else said- a timeless classic that can be shared with the next generation. The same with Tom Sawyer island. Both of these attractions take me back to my childhood more than anything else in the park. I hope both of those remain for the long haul, and someday my child will explore them with his own children. :)

Goofyernmost

Has to be the biggest waste of space in the park, but since it seems its not going anywhere. So I would like if they at least renovated some of the rooms with new props.

Yeah, it's about time the Robinson family got a 4K TV with a sweet surround sound set up.
Yup, that is the first thought I had when I read it. What would the new props consist of? TV's, Cell Phones, Video Games? I am curious about that. Wouldn't they have to stick with the theme of items rescued from the shipwreck? Even as it is now, I have to wonder how a pump organ found it's way to the ship. Maybe having an organ with you was the equivalent of todays I-pad!

Herbie

I do not understand how people can hate the treehouse...

Were you not engrossed by Swiss Family Robinson as a kid? I'm dreaming of planning a trip to Tobago just to see the real tree, waterfalls, and beaches...
Do you not have a fondness for classic cinema, particularly Disney?
Do you not have an appreciation for Walt's original ideas?
Do you seriously have such an issue with walking?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Except for all of the people who grew up loving the treehouse! Like someone else said- a timeless classic that can be shared with the next generation. The same with Tom Sawyer island. Both of these attractions take me back to my childhood more than anything else in the park. I hope both of those remain for the long haul, and someday my child will explore them with his own children. :)

I do know that lots of people enjoy the treehouse and TSI. They're not bad experiences. They're just for a select group of people. Much like how Country Bear Jamboree is one of my all time favorites, but you can bet your butt it's just awkward to the general public.

TSI and the treehouse are pure nostalgic classics. That alone is why they should stay around. Much like CBJ and the Tiki Room.

The Empress Lilly

I do not understand how people can hate the treehouse...

Were you not engrossed by Swiss Family Robinson as a kid? I'm dreaming of planning a trip to Tobago just to see the real tree, waterfalls, and beaches...
Do you not have a fondness for classic cinema, particularly Disney?
Do you not have an appreciation for Walt's original ideas?
Do you seriously have such an issue with walking?
I never even saw the movie until 25 years after the Treehouse. The Treehouse does a fantastic job of telling a complete story all by itself.

It's the old masters teaching the whippersnapper wannabees a thing or two about placemaking, setting, and character introduction and even development (even though absent). It puts into perspective the demand of todays designers that they need known characters and worlds for a ride, lest they need to spend too much time introducing both to the audience.

Animaniac93-98

It puts into perspective the demand of todays designers that they need known characters and worlds for a ride, lest they need to spend too much time introducing both to the audience.

It also underscores the desperation of modern audiences for constant stimuli. The whole conceit of the attraction is that it's essentially an open house tour of a highly unusual home. That's the both the concept and core appeal. Adding speical effects, buttons, flashing lights etc would ruin the feeling that this is a place where people live. It's the mistake Tarzan's Treehouse made by turning every room into a (mostly) static diroama.

Last edited:

IWant2GoNow

I think it would be interesting if they integrated some MagicBand tech into it. Tap a band here, the organ plays; tap a band here, a drawer opens with interesting objects inside. Maybe they could provide treasure maps of activator locations? I dunno.

On the other hand, I've always like the peacefulness of the tree at night. Hardly anyone checks it out anymore and I enjoy going up there and just hanging out looking out over the MK all lit up.

HRHPrincessAriel

It also underscores the desperation of modern audiences for constant stimuli. The whole conceit of the attraction is that it's essentially an open house tour of a highly unusual home. That's the both the concept and core appeal. Adding speical effects, buttons, flashing lights etc would ruin the feeling that this is a place where people live. It's the mistake Tarzan's Treehouse made by turning every room into a (mostly) static diroama.
Yes. My 3.5 year old loved it. Made up her own stories to go along with what she was seeing. We live in such a world that everything has to be over the top that so many people can't take simple for what's it's worth.

I think it would be interesting if they integrated some MagicBand tech into it. Tap a band here, the organ plays; tap a band here, a drawer opens with interesting objects inside. Maybe they could provide treasure maps of activator locations? I dunno.

On the other hand, I've always like the peacefulness of the tree at night. Hardly anyone checks it out anymore and I enjoy going up there and just hanging out looking out over the MK all lit up.

That sounds like a no brainer, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Goofyernmost

Yes. My 3.5 year old loved it. Made up her own stories to go along with what she was seeing. We live in such a world that everything has to be over the top that so many people can't take simple for what's it's worth.
It is way to much work to actually use ones imagination. That was the demise of many attractions like Sound Dangerous, for example. Young kids still only slightly exposed to electronic media, still possess imagination.

I'm sorry if I bore anyone, but, I remember sitting at our kitchen table with a coloring book listening to the radio with three of my favorite shows. The Lone Ranger, Superman and The Green Hornet. I heard the dialog and my brain created all the most elaborate scenery that was possible. It was just as exciting as actually having to be shown everything in order to enjoy it. Maybe it's a lost art that we might want to consider getting back again. We sure don't show much imagination in everyday life anymore and just prefer that someone else tell us how we should think about things.

Dizney Crew

Goodnight, I hope those who are sticking up for this attraction are in the minority of the general public, how many times can 1 person go through the tree house and still be entertained? I think once or twice a year is good for me, and that's only me going through hoping to see something new/renovated which is highly unlikely. The only thing I can think of that would make this attraction work is to just use the house as a queue line for something else, like say a new ride/attraction!!!

Herbie

Goodnight, I hope those who are sticking up for this attraction are in the minority of the general public, how many times can 1 person go through the tree house and still be entertained?

Thankfully, I don't believe we are in the minority. I can walk through this treehouse plenty and still be entertained, knowing that I'm 'featured' in one of my most favorite films.

I think once or twice a year is good for me, and that's only me going through hoping to see something new/renovated which is highly unlikely.

Naturally, it's not a must-see on every trip, especially if you live in the area and come often.

The only thing I can think of that would make this attraction work is to just use the house as a queue line for something else, like say a new ride/attraction!!!

It already works. It's a beautiful and necessary/integral part of Adventureland.

yedliW

No.. I think 'biggest waste of space in the park' goes to the tommorowland speedway.. The tree doesn't have a very big footprint, and it's kinda shoehorned into space that probably couldn't be well used for anything else..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom