Swan--why so pricey?

JusticeDisney

I'm curious about this too. They're just as expensive as some Disney resorts but lack the theming and on-site perks.

To those who are Swan/Dolphin regulars, why do you stay there? (I'm legitimately curious!)

1) Better collection of restaurants than any other resort anywhere in WDW. Shula's, Todd English's Blue Zoo, Kimonos, Il Mulino. You get the point.
2) After Stormalong, the best pools anywhere in WDW.
3) Location is equal to YC/BC and Boardwalk. Walk to two parks, or easy boat and bus access to anywhere you want to go.
4) Absolutely gorgeous grounds. And a more beautiful lobby than the Dolphin you will find nowhere.
5) Room views are spectacular. Can watch fireworks at either EPCOT or HS, depending on which room you have.
6) Heavenly beds. Simply the best you will ever experience.
7) Price. You can literally get a SUITE with a water view at the SD for less than you can get a STANDARD ROOM staring at a parking lot at the Boardwalk, YC/BC, Poly, Contemprary, Grand Floridian.

I've said it a million times, if the SD was owned by Disney, it would be a fan favorite. Period.

Sage of Time

I was there last week, too! Small world.

But yeah, this post really nails it. Low costs for a 'deluxe' hotel on Disney's scale and the best location. I think it's one of the best hotels in WDW. Love staying there.
Was just there last week.

The main reason we stay there is because the cost is not as expensive as the Disney resorts. It was $170 per night in the middle of Summer (they offer a teacher discount rate, amongst others). That is a terrific price for a resort on par with Disney's deluxe resorts. (It was $300+ for the Boardwalk during that same time frame.)

Also, the location can't be beat. It's within walking distance to two parks. Obviously the same perk is there for Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club guests, but for $150 less per night, are you kidding me?

And even though it doesn't have a specific theme like Disney's resorts, the atmosphere is still pretty great. I'd say it's definitely better than at the moderate resorts, where the theming can often feel painted on. In fact, I'd say the Swan/Dolphin even outshine the Contemporary as far as theme and atmosphere go.

Lastly: the restaurants. Had some terrific meals there, and there's probably a greater variety to choose from than at any of the other resorts.

And I'm not sure what on-site perks the other hotels offer that the Swan & Dolphin don't, other than MagicBand room keys? I'm sure there are some, but we never bumped up against any while we were there...

JusticeDisney

If it were owned by Disney it would be priced same as Boardwalk and therefore biggest advantage is lost.

And you've just proved my point. When you look at location, ease of getting to the parks, quality of restaurants, quality of the pools, size and quality of the rooms and views that can be had, and the overall beauty of the common areas (obviously including the gorgeous lobby), the Dolphin is objectively right on par with if not actually ahead of other Disney deluxe resorts. And on top of that, it is significantly cheaper. Yet despite all of that, the Dolphin comes in a distant last place when people vote in a poll on this forum. There's one clear reason for that. People, or at least some people, think the Dolphin is a lesser hotel simply because it is not owned by Disney. And please spare me the theme argument, because the Contemporary is a huge fan favorite, yet it has no theme at all (indeed, it looks like a giant parking garage from the outside). Can you imagine the abuse that a hotel looking like the Contemporary would get if it wasn't owned by Disney? Now, if you want to argue DME and the DP, fair enough. I don't use either of those so, personally, they are of no moment to me.

Anyway, at the end of the day, you really can't go wrong at any deluxe resort. As they say, "to each his own!"

Jon81uk

And you've just proved my point. When you look at location, ease of getting to the parks, quality of restaurants, quality of the pools, size and quality of the rooms and views that can be had, and the overall beauty of the common areas (obviously including the gorgeous lobby), the Dolphin is objectively right on par with if not actually ahead of other Disney deluxe resorts. And on top of that, it is significantly cheaper. Yet despite all of that, the Dolphin comes in a distant last place when people vote in a poll on this forum. There's one clear reason for that. People, or at least some people, think the Dolphin is a lesser hotel simply because it is not owned by Disney. And please spare me the theme argument, because the Contemporary is a huge fan favorite, yet it has no theme at all (indeed, it looks like a giant parking garage from the outside). Can you imagine the abuse that a hotel looking like the Contemporary would get if it wasn't owned by Disney? Now, if you want to argue DME and the DP, fair enough. I don't use either of those so, personally, they are of no moment to me.

Anyway, at the end of the day, you really can't go wrong at any deluxe resort. As they say, "to each his own!"

I think the biggest advantage of Boardwalk, Yacht a Club, Swan, Dolphin is location which puts all these resorts on a par really. But I know what you mean, the Swolphin is better than the Boardwalk in many ways (as far as I can tell, never been inside either), but people are put off as not "Disney". I would have stayed at Dolphin next I think if it weren't for the UK free dining offer.

On the contemporary resort, the theme is basic, 1970s "future" with a monorail through the middle. You are right the same resort anywhere else would fail as there wouldn't a monorail through it and that is the biggest cool factor of the contemporary, the monorail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom