Survivor: Game Changers - Mamanuca Islands

PUSH

Ahhhhh I'm so mad at how that turned out. Wanted to see Sandra go. Brad totally screwed JT. I wanted to see more of JT and Malcolm dominating challenges.
I didn't want to see Sandra go. I know I've been critical of her through her first two seasons, but I like how aggressive she's being this time around. Not the same game. It's much more of a modern playing style, and I like it. However, I love Malcolm as a player. It's hard for me because I want almost everyone on this season to stay. Get rid of Tai, Debbie and Ozzy, then go to the others. Even Brad is interesting this time. So are Sierra and Hali.

NYwdwfan

I didn't want to see Sandra go. I know I've been critical of her through her first two seasons, but I like how aggressive she's being this time around. Not the same game. It's much more of a modern playing style, and I like it. However, I love Malcolm as a player. It's hard for me because I want almost everyone on this season to stay. Get rid of Tai, Debbie and Ozzy, then go to the others. Even Brad is interesting this time. So are Sierra and Hali.
Malcolm is one of my all time favorites. Grrrrrrrr.

As an aside...Brad was unreal with throwing the bags in that challenge. For a D-lineman he's got awesome aim!! Also, not sure if this has been discussed, but he's an attorney now. There are billboards all over Tampa. Better Call Brad.:hilarious:

PUSH

Malcolm is one of my all time favorites. Grrrrrrrr.

As an aside...Brad was unreal with throwing the bags in that challenge. For a D-lineman he's got awesome aim!! Also, not sure if this has been discussed, but he's an attorney now. There are billboards all over Tampa. Better Call Brad.:hilarious:
Malcolm is one of the few who can get away with being so cocky and arrogant because he's so charming.

And speaking of players who have gone onto different careers... I think I read Laura Morett (Ciera Eastin's mom) was running for state senate... or something along those lines. Laura is another one of my favorite players.

NYwdwfan

Malcolm is one of the few who can get away with being so cocky and arrogant because he's so charming.

And speaking of players who have gone onto different careers... I think I read Laura Morett (Ciera Eastin's mom) was running for state senate... or something along those lines. Laura is another one of my favorite players.
I went looking for the billboard but found this. Dang he was HUGE when he played - compared to how he looks now!
IMG_8377.JPG

GenerationX

I enjoyed the utter chaos of tribal. I liked watching wild-eyed Hali screaming fire (which, as we all know, represents life) in a crowded theater then reveling in the madness. There are very few times at tribal where Probst has been legitimately speechless, but he also just had to sit back and appreciate what the inspired twist had prompted. One of the best tribals of all-time.

And I can't let Ozzy's crap go by without comment. He's played the game four times, and he thinks because he's catching a lot of fish (ooh, a sting ray, too!) that he's safe. He's played FOUR times and THIS is his strategy. :facepalm:

PUSH

I enjoyed the utter chaos of tribal. I liked watching wild-eyed Hali screaming fire (which, as we all know, represents life) in a crowded theater then reveling in the madness. There are very few times at tribal where Probst has been legitimately speechless, but he also just had to sit back and appreciate what the inspired twist had prompted. One of the best tribals of all-time.

And I can't let Ozzy's crap go by without comment. He's played the game four times, and he thinks because he's catching a lot of fish (ooh, a sting ray, too!) that he's safe. He's played FOUR times and THIS is his strategy. :facepalm:
I think Hali is very intentional with every word and every move she makes at Tribal so far this season. She's flying under the radar, but she could be dangerous come the merge with all these big targets around.

And I thought the same thing about Ozzy. Maybe that worked in Cook Islands, but Micronesia should have been a wake-up call for him. Being the survivalist is not a legitimate strategy anymore. The only reason he got so far in South Pacific is because people were in awe of this famous Survivor. I've said it over and over - he's one of the most overrated Survivors of all-time.

Also, with the amount of Tribals Aubry has been to, I'd like to see more out of her. Which makes me think she doesn't play a big role in the season. I really don't want to watch her become a goat, either. I'd rather she be voted out early. She became one of my favorite players after Koah Rong, but she's been very disappointing through the first three episodes. Maybe that's because she's been on tribes with Tony, Sandra, Malcolm, JT, etc, who have over shadowed her, but I really want to see her play well. So far she's just not cutting it.

SAV

Dammit...I just really want to see Sandra go. I wish they would sack up and do it.

Great Tribal, though.

Not overly excited about the Debbie meltdown episode next week. She's crazy.

PUSH

So I was thinking where this Tribal sits in terms of the best Tribal Council ever. I found a list on Rob Has a Website with 16 of the best TCs of all time. I forgot about some of them.

Borneo: The First Final Tribal Council
The Autralian Outback Jeff Varner is voted out based on the "previous votes" tiebreaker
Marquesas: Paschal is the first victim of the rock draw tie-breaker
Pearl Island: Osten becomes Survivor's first quitter
Season
Cook Islands: Billy Garcia pledges his love for Candice
Cook Islands: Final Tribal Council with Becky and Sundra's never-ending fire making challenge, where Sundra runs out of matches
Fiji: Dreamz keeps Yau-Man's truck and votes him out of the game
China: Jamie players a fake idol and is voted out of the game
Micronesia: Amanda plays a surprise idol and Alexis is voted out
Micronesia: Eliza's "It's just a ******* stick!" (I added this one in myself.)
Micronesia: Erik gives his immunity to Natalie and is voted out.
Gabon: Crystal shouts her voting confessional and Randy is voted out after playing Bob's fake idol.
Samoa: Russell plays an idol and sends Kelly home
Heroes vs Villains: Russell gives his idol to Parvati and Tyson's own vote costs him the game
Heroes vs Villains: Parvati plays and idol for Jerri and Sandra, eliminating JT
Caramoan: Malcolm players an idol for himself and Eddie, voting out Phillip
Blood vs Water: Ciera votes out her mom (I added this one myself.)
Blood vs Water: Ciera forces a rock draw, eliminating Katie

The list stops there, but here are some I remember from Cagayan to present day...
Cagayan: Kass flips and votes Sarah out as the first member of the jury
San Juan del Sur: Natalie asks Jaclyn if she voted the way she told her to, then gives her the idol to vote Baylor out
Cambodia: Wenworth's idol play to vote out Savage
Cambodia: Stephen steals Joe's vote and is voted out anyway
Cambodia: Jeremy and Wentworth play idols, eliminating all votes. The players unanimously decide to vote Kimmi out.
Koah Rong: Tai does not use his idols to form the super idol, effectively eliminating Scot.
Millennials vs Gen X: Jessica draws the wrong rock
Game Changers: Malcolm goes home in crazy two tribe, one vote twist

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but there are some pretty great moments listed here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I loved the episode. Great challenge as it played out.. and of course the tribal was great. But I wonder what precedent it sets going forward. What's to prevent people from getting up and just huddling anytime moving forward?? Part of the drama in tribal was communicating between each other.. or figuring out what to do as the tribal played out. Now, if your voting block is pretty obvious, why not just call a team huddle and hash out any uncertainties that came up during tribal? Feel like one of your block is swaying? Just call a huddle and get them together with a friend and bring them back together before letting them vote.

This will cause new problems that they will have to address. The only downside to this currently is knowing who is working with who.. but most of the time, those associations are in the open. It's only a matter if you trust the people in the conversation.. and that they won't blurt out or rehuddle with someone else. And of course while that happened this week, that was largely due to the two tribe dynamic.

No matter what JT says.. you have to think he'll take the blame for their tribe's pick getting busted. Hali I'd boot next just for play in the tribal.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Jennifer is on the road and probably won't watch until she gets home so I'm posting the Dalton Ross recap on her behalf:
http://ew.com/recap/survivor-season-34-episode-4/

quote:
Freberg: He absolutely told them to vote for Sandra. I think three-quarters of the way through Tribal, and they only showed half a dozen of those huddles, but there were at least twenty. We were standing up and moving around. And at one point he looked terrified. I think he knew they weren’t going to go for Sandra, but he didn’t want to tell us what had happened.

Crazy

Tick Tock

Dammit...I just really want to see Sandra go. I wish they would sack up and do it.
They had an opportune moment to do it this week and fell flat. I wouldn't mind if they kept her on board a little bit longer just so she'll make the jury. I'd love to hear her address the finalists at the end, especially if she has a chip on her shoulder at one or all of them.

No Name

Hi all, I'm a big Survivor fan.

I was a bit confused and bothered by the fact that they got up and walked around at tribal. I had always assumed there was a rule against it. Maybe just a rule of thumb?

Here though, I was especially annoyed, because the huddling goes against the whole point of the twist.
The idea was that the two tribes weren't allowed to communicate with one another leading up to tribal. So instead, they were allowed to get up and communicate during tribal? I found that more annoying than entertaining.

As for why I dislike the twist itself... here's an article that I mostly agree with. https://theringer.com/survivor-game-changers-the-tables-have-turned-cbs-tribal-council-d745d57b3b93
Though I wouldn't say it's nearly the most someone has ever been "screwed."

Maybe this will help with ratings, at least short-term, but I don't think it's good for the game.

Last edited:

PUSH

Most comments I'm seeing about the twist are negative. I wonder what the reaction to the twist would be if it was fan favorite, Malcolm, who went home. What is Sierra had gone home instead? I don't know if I am for or against it - I think it's fun, just not every season. As for the precedent it sets for future Tribal Councils, that's yet to be seen. I think Jeff did a good job of letting the game play out. It seems every season he continues to let the players dictate the game. He's having fun with it. Rob Cesternino made a good point, though, that in Marquesas, Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien asked Jeff if she could talk to Vecepia, and Jeff said she could talk right now (meaning in front of everyone). That was 30 seasons ago and not really a good gauge as for whether huddles are or should be allowed or not, but it just goes to show Jeff is allowed to make rules up as he goes. He's the boss at Tribal Council, and that's what has made this show so successful.

I hope this doesn't cause a big change in how Tribal Councils go, but it was also an extremely high entertainment value as a fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom