Survivor: Game Changers - Mamanuca Islands

PUSH

I would have been ok with the FT format if they actually gave the final three an opening and closing statement. The fact they dont get a platform is what continues to bother me.

The jumble format blurs votes too much imo. Its just kike they started with big brother where they have a big pow wow to discuss the players/votes.

Its not supposed to be a consensus or collective- its supposed to be individuals voting for who they think should win.

This format again outs too much into the hands of the jury without giving the players an uninterrupted chance to make their case. Have the jumble after they are given a chance to make their case
And we don't know if they are given opening statements. They showed the closing statements. And I believe I've said in previous threads that there have been seasons in which players said the opening statements have been cut because they are stale and boring for the viewers, because we all already know what their accomplishments are and how they feel about themselves.

PUSH

Also shocked Jeff revealed the tie vote rule at FTC. Now it leaves no shock or suspense that could have made for great TV and a historic Survivor moment. I mean, I kind of assumed that that was the rule, but still.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And we don't know if they are given opening statements. They showed the closing statements. And I believe I've said in previous threads that there have been seasons in which players said the opening statements have been cut because they are stale and boring for the viewers, because we all already know what their accomplishments are and how they feel about themselves.

If we have to watch Jeff belabor the same obvious flushing questions at normal tribals... and the same lines over and over... 'I'll tally the vote... blah blah blah' they could at least give the people a time limit and show it.

Jeff setup Brad to answer a question... vs really give him an open forum, and just said 'last chance..' - then when he moved to Sarah, said just 'last chance to sway the jury'. And at that point, the initiative and narrative has already been taken from the finalists. It's like trying to make an impact when someone else has already stolen your thunder. It's just not the same. They each spoke for less than 1 minute.. because at that point, things had already been said.

I'd like to see a 'hot potato' idol. An idol that is only good for X number of tribals.. but if you pass it onto someone, it has new life.

Tick Tock

Brad pretty much decided that because Tai lied to him.
Nice going, Culpepper. :facepalm::facepalm:

You take the players most known for lying, betraying, backstabbing like Tai with you to the end....you vote out the stronger, more steadfast players before the end. I guess the money wasn't that important to him (?)

PUSH

Nice going, Culpepper. :facepalm::facepalm:

You take the players most known for lying, betraying, backstabbing like Tai with you to the end....you vote out the stronger, more steadfast players before the end. I guess the money wasn't that important to him (?)
He said he doesn't need the money, but he really wants to win.

Wendy Pleakley

Why did Tai play his idol on Aubry? He knows he's going to be targeted by Brad. He can guarantee himself a trip to the final 4 with his two idols. While he still got there, he put himself in danger of having to win two immunities instead of one to get him to the FTC. And had he won immunity at 5, he could have given his idol to Cirie, who would have still been in the game. I see no reason how saving Aubry at 6 was beneficial for his game. It was an emotional decision, which is why Tai is not a great player. Play an idol for yourself at 6 and 5. Aubry goes home at 6. At 5, it wouldn't be unthinkable to persuade people that Cirie isn't going to win immunity at 4, so you can get her out then. Then you can vote out Brad or Sarah at 5. You get to final 4, and nobody wants to sit next to Cirie. Cirie is likely voted out at 4. Tai, Troyzan and Brad/Sarah are sitting there. Tai's decisions just baffle me.

I thought the same thing at the time. However, Had Sarah not had the legacy advantage, it would have been a brilliant and effective move.

Your plan makes sense, but there's no guarantee what happens at the final 5, so I think it was as good a plan as any.

Wendy Pleakley

Its not supposed to be a consensus or collective- its supposed to be individuals voting for who they think should win.

The jury already discusses the decision as a collective off camera, to the point where the final decision is already largely decided, or so I've read.

Since it's a group discussion in reality, might as well just bring that aspect of it into the show.

I agree that opening/closing statements are a must, but they may have been edited out. I also read that the final results were pretty obvious at final tribal council, so there was definitely some editing to imply that Brad still had a chance.

sunsetblvd26

Also shocked Jeff revealed the tie vote rule at FTC. Now it leaves no shock or suspense that could have made for great TV and a historic Survivor moment. I mean, I kind of assumed that that was the rule, but still.
If I were to guess, I think it happens in 35 and Jeff wanted to make sure the rules were clearly laid out for the audience.

PUSH

I thought the same thing at the time. However, Had Sarah not had the legacy advantage, it would have been a brilliant and effective move.

Your plan makes sense, but there's no guarantee what happens at the final 5, so I think it was as good a plan as any.
The legacy advantage thing is true. I just don't think Tai has enough allies to give his idol away. Nobody really trusts him.

PUSH

If I were to guess, I think it happens in 35 and Jeff wanted to make sure the rules were clearly laid out for the audience.
But that would make producers not want to reveal it to have a mind blowing moment. I heard a theory saying they revealed it because they want people to use that in future seasons when deciding who goes to the final 3, hopefully forcing someone to use that knowledge strategically.

PUSH

So over the winter, before Game Changers, I rewatched Caramoan-Cagayan. I would continue my rewatch into San Juan del Sur, but it is not free with Amazon Prime. So should I start with Borneo, or should I just pick and choose a few that I want to watch? There are several seasons I don't remember a lot about, but I know they weren't that interesting. If I rewatched just a few, I'd probably do China, Micronesia and Heroes vs Villains for sure. Maybe a couple extra.

Any thoughts on rewatching Survivor?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So over the winter, before Game Changers, I rewatched Caramoan-Cagayan. I would continue my rewatch into San Juan del Sur, but it is not free with Amazon Prime. So should I start with Borneo, or should I just pick and choose a few that I want to watch? There are several seasons I don't remember a lot about, but I know they weren't that interesting. If I rewatched just a few, I'd probably do China, Micronesia and Heroes vs Villains for sure. Maybe a couple extra.

Yes

Watch genuis or The Expanse instead :)

No Name

When was the last time you watched Borneo? Have you ever rewatched it? If it's been a long time, well, you have my fullest recommendation.

NYwdwfan

My daughter and I started watching Fans vs Favorites last night. She noticed right off the bat how much more physical the challenges used to be and how young Probst was. We probably should have started with Borneo but she wanted to see Parvarti play and understand why Ozzy didn't trust Cirie in Game Changers.

PUSH

When was the last time you watched Borneo? Have you ever rewatched it? If it's been a long time, well, you have my fullest recommendation.
I've watched all seasons within the past year or two. I started watching at the start of Caramoan, and it was after Cagayan that I started going back to watch old seasons.

PUSH

My daughter and I started watching Fans vs Favorites last night. She noticed right off the bat how much more physical the challenges used to be and how young Probst was. We probably should have started with Borneo but she wanted to see Parvarti play and understand why Ozzy didn't trust Cirie in Game Changers.
The challenges were brutal back then, and I loved it. There are some good ones now, but they aren't nearly as challenging as they used to be. I get why some were banned for being too physical, but some of the endurance ones from back in the day are awesome. I'm a particular fan of the one where the tribes are tied together and run around a ring in the water carrying sand bags.

One of my single favorite challenges is Parvati winning the one with her hand in the air, chained to a bucket of water.

PS - How awesome is Parvati 2.0? So much better than Parvati 1.0. Parvati 3.0 should be a two-time winner.

NYwdwfan

I've watched all seasons within the past year or two. I started watching at the start of Caramoan, and it was after Cagayan that I started going back to watch old seasons.
I wish I had remembered about all the hook-ups before encouraging my 13 year old to watch.

NYwdwfan

The challenges were brutal back then, and I loved it. There are some good ones now, but they aren't nearly as challenging as they used to be. I get why some were banned for being too physical, but some of the endurance ones from back in the day are awesome. I'm a particular fan of the one where the tribes are tied together and run around a ring in the water carrying sand bags.

One of my single favorite challenges is Parvati winning the one with her hand in the air, chained to a bucket of water.

PS - How awesome is Parvati 2.0? So much better than Parvati 1.0. Parvati 3.0 should be a two-time winner.
She's really clever this season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom