Survivor: Game Changers - Mamanuca Islands

DinoInstitute

Ah, didn't even realize there was a new thread! :p

Excited for Survivor: These People Accepted Our Offer To Return Game Changers! :p

I'm definitely excited for the season, should be a good one. Just a weird group. The theme feels very forced, they are not all game changers. A real game changers season should have at least Russel and Richard, and a whole lot more important players than "Fan-Favorite Game-Changer" Sierra Dawn-Thomas. I mean, what's wrong with just having a simple "All Stars"?
Anyway, ignoring that little thing, here's my thoughts on the cast as a whole:

Really Hyped To See Return!:
  • Cirie- Cirie is by no means one of my favorites, but she is an iconic player and character. She got screwed in HvV for being such a big threat, and that stigma might wear off by now, so I think she'll do ok. At least I hope so, I would be sad to see her go early again.
  • JT- One of my favorite winners. He gets way too much slack for his move giving the idol to Russel, so I hope he gets the chance to redeem himself.
  • Tai- One of the stars of Kaoh Rong, he is probably one of the most deserving to return from the newer seasons. I loved him, he was so great, and I'm glad he gets another chance. My only worry though is that, how does Tai surpass his KR performance? He had such a great and huge story, perfect for his character, that I don't know where he has to go from there (aside from winning, which I'd put as a small chance).
  • Tony- Tony.
  • Sandra- Sandra.
  • Michaela- I think she'll do well, as is fantastic television. Hopefully she learned from any mistakes she had, as if so, she's the whole package of want I want in a Survivor player (Good Strategy + Good TV! :D)
  • Debbie- Don't expect her to win at all, but I do expect her to do well. After all, KR was the last season they all saw before going out there, and these players are still fresh in their mind. Debbie's main trait as a game player was how incredibly loyal she was, so I'd be surprised if more strategic players don't want to immediately work with her.
  • Jeff- Really liked this guy. He has a good sense of the game and is very entertaining, hope he finally makes the jury! :p
  • Malcom- A great, more modern-classic player if that makes sense. I have no doubt he will provide amazing gameplay this season.
Meh (Could take them or leave them, have generally positive feelings toward but no huge desire to see back):
  • Caleb- He was the victim of what I would consider one of the top 10 most iconic moments in the history of the show, and definitely one of the top few most emotional. I doubt he's going to do well (keep in mind, he's never been to a tribal council, which many former players say is a lot of experience needed in the game to really let you know what you're doing), but I'd be happy to see him go far if he does.
  • Zeke- He was fine on MvGX, but honestly nothing special. He wasn't as big of a player I hoped he'd be (likely because I knew he was on this season before 33 started, but then again Fan-Favorite Game-Changer Sierra Dawn-Thomas is also on this season so I guess it didn't have to mean anything :p ;)), but he wasn't really a disappointment, he has a good sense of the game and provides fantastic soundbites. Still, I would have preferred Bret/David/Jay/Will/Taylor (especially David, he's a game changer really).
  • Ozzy- I know a lot of people love him, I've always found him to be a bit of a douchebag. Still, it'd be interesting to see what he does after another bunch of years.
  • Hali- She was by no means one of the greats ( or even one of the best from WA), but I really liked her. She brought a fun energy to her first season, I just hope she isn't too under the radar again.
  • Troyzan- I felt bad for Troy after he lost the 2nd chance vote as you could see he really wanted it as he loved the game. He was a great underdog his first season, just a bit forgettable. Like Malcom, I have no doubt he'll go all out with a big game, just I put him in this category as there's nothing too special about him to me.
  • Aubry- I wasn't an Aubry fan in KR, but I suppose it could be interesting to see how she does on a return. She did play a good game, I just wasn't really liking her.
Have no interest in seeing back:
  • Ciera- SHE VOTED OUT HER MOM!!! DID YOU ALL HEAR?!?! :p Seriously, I'm really starting to feel Ciera-fatigue. Her presence was annoying for me in 2nd Chance (I'm just going to ride coattails until I'm on the bottom, and then I'll complain how nobody's making big moves because they don't benefit me). Not very excited for what is probably going to be another season of that.
  • Sierra- Fan-Favorite Game-Changer Sierra Dawn-Thomas is back, whoop-de-doo :p I mean she was a fine person and player, but wasn't memorable in the slightest, how she was offered to return I have no idea. (For those who don't know, the Fan-Favorite joke originated from the Price is Right special where she was announced as a fan favorite along with Ozzy :p)
  • Sarah- One of the least memorable members of the amazing Cagayan cast. I think she'll do fine, but she just has a very dry personality that I don't care to see again.
  • Brad- Again, nothing *really* wrong with him, but just with such a huge, vast array of all stars to chose from who were really memorable, why Brad? It was said that he got the least amount of votes by a fair margin to return for 2nd chance, so clearly most fans didn't really want him back that much anyway.
  • Andrea- Andrea IMO is one of the most overrated modern Survivor players. I still don't really get why she returned for 26, and while she wasn't bad in that season, she was just...unlikable. Not in a villainous way, just...something about her felt annoying, like I just couldn't root for her at all. I know I'm probably not explaining this very well :p Would have much rather have seen someone like Kelley Wentworth as the token "smart and pretty blonde", but alas, we'll see how it goes.

And I think that makes 20! We've got a long offseason, but hopefully it goes by quick to get to this next season which should be awesome!

(Also, is anyone planning on watching Hunted? I saw a few commercials for it lately, I guess its CBS's next reality competition coming on Sundays starting in Jan. Looks interesting, though granted I don't know much about it)

PUSH

Players I'm super excited to see back:
- Cirie
- Tony
- Andrea
- Aubry
- Michaela
- Malcolm
- Ciera (although 3 times since season 27 is quite a bit)

Players I could give or take:
- Troyzan
- Caleb
- Zeke
- Tai
- JT
- Sandra (Sandra and JT I've never been overly excited about. Sandra is iconic, but she's not the most interesting to watch, and her strategy is just kind of to sit back and watch everything unfold)
- Jeff
- Debbie

Not really looking forward to:
- Ozzy (Most overrated player in Survivor history. Pretty arrogant, too. He was fine in Cook Islands, but in Micronesia and South Pacific he was too much.)
- Brad
- Sarah
- Sierra
- Hali

It's always interesting to see how players interact if they've played with each other before. Do they still hold grudges? Can they trust each other when trust has been broken before? Do they maintain their alliances? It will be fun to see some of the older contestants adapt to the faster style of play. HvV was a game changing season, but I think Cambodia is a new game changing season in terms of gameplay and strategy.

An ideal Game Changers cast would be...

Men:
1. Boston Rob
2. Russell Hantz
3. Rob Cesternino
4. Tony
5. Malcolm
6. Richard
7. Daivd
8. Penner
9. Yul
10. Tyson

Women:
1. Parvati
2. Cirie
3. Kim
4. Andrea
5. Jerri
6. Sandra
7. Kelley Wentworth
8. Natalie Anderson
9. Stephenie LaGrossa
10. Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien or Ciera

All of these players had some kind of memorable or lasting impact on the game, and they are all iconic players in their own sense.

DinoInstitute

Players I'm super excited to see back:
- Cirie
- Tony
- Andrea
- Aubry
- Michaela
- Malcolm
- Ciera (although 3 times since season 27 is quite a bit)

Players I could give or take:
- Troyzan
- Caleb
- Zeke
- Tai
- JT
- Sandra (Sandra and JT I've never been overly excited about. Sandra is iconic, but she's not the most interesting to watch, and her strategy is just kind of to sit back and watch everything unfold)
- Jeff
- Debbie

Not really looking forward to:
- Ozzy (Most overrated player in Survivor history. Pretty arrogant, too. He was fine in Cook Islands, but in Micronesia and South Pacific he was too much.)
- Brad
- Sarah
- Sierra
- Hali

It's always interesting to see how players interact if they've played with each other before. Do they still hold grudges? Can they trust each other when trust has been broken before? Do they maintain their alliances? It will be fun to see some of the older contestants adapt to the faster style of play. HvV was a game changing season, but I think Cambodia is a new game changing season in terms of gameplay and strategy.

An ideal Game Changers cast would be...

Men:
1. Boston Rob
2. Russell Hantz
3. Rob Cesternino
4. Tony
5. Malcolm
6. Richard
7. Daivd
8. Penner
9. Yul
10. Tyson

Women:
1. Parvati
2. Cirie
3. Kim
4. Andrea
5. Jerri
6. Sandra
7. Kelley Wentworth
8. Natalie Anderson
9. Stephenie LaGrossa
10. Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien or Ciera

All of these players had some kind of memorable or lasting impact on the game, and they are all iconic players in their own sense.
I think that's a good list of real game changers. There's three other big ones I can think of that I would add...

-Jonny Fairplay. He is of course infamous for his grandma lie, which was a huge moment for the show...one of the first true "big moves" that changed the game, in that it marked how, in Survivor, anything goes.

-I would argue that Kass is a game changer. Not in that she's some excellent player (even though she is very smart, just not social), but in that she along with Tony in 28 seemed to completely break the game in terms of what the norm is to get to the end.

-Cao Boi Bui! I know a lot of people probably don't remember Cao Boi, as he definitely wasn't as huge of a figure in Survivor history as those of the likes of Boston Rob or Russel. He was one of the more...obscure... characters we've seen. Most who do remember him likely just remember him for his wacky personality that sent him home premerge in Cook Islands. However, I would argue that he is definitely a game changer, as he originated one of the most important Survivor strategies ever, the idea to split the votes to cancel out an idol. He called it "Plan Voodoo", and shared it with Yul as a means of protecting them at Tribal if someone had the idol. Yul was actually the one with the idol though, which Cao Boi didn't know about, so it didn't really come into effect and Cao Boi ended up going home, without leaving any huge impression on the show. It's a shame too, as he was incredibly entertaining, and clearly low-key really smart and strategic, so I would have loved to see what else he could do in the game!

PUSH

I think that's a good list of real game changers. There's three other big ones I can think of that I would add...

-Jonny Fairplay. He is of course infamous for his grandma lie, which was a huge moment for the show...one of the first true "big moves" that changed the game, in that it marked how, in Survivor, anything goes.

-I would argue that Kass is a game changer. Not in that she's some excellent player (even though she is very smart, just not social), but in that she along with Tony in 28 seemed to completely break the game in terms of what the norm is to get to the end.

-Cao Boi Bui! I know a lot of people probably don't remember Cao Boi, as he definitely wasn't as huge of a figure in Survivor history as those of the likes of Boston Rob or Russel. He was one of the more...obscure... characters we've seen. Most who do remember him likely just remember him for his wacky personality that sent him home premerge in Cook Islands. However, I would argue that he is definitely a game changer, as he originated one of the most important Survivor strategies ever, the idea to split the votes to cancel out an idol. He called it "Plan Voodoo", and shared it with Yul as a means of protecting them at Tribal if someone had the idol. Yul was actually the one with the idol though, which Cao Boi didn't know about, so it didn't really come into effect and Cao Boi ended up going home, without leaving any huge impression on the show. It's a shame too, as he was incredibly entertaining, and clearly low-key really smart and strategic, so I would have loved to see what else he could do in the game!
I considered Fairplay and Kass (kind of forgot Cao Boi did invent the splitting strategy), but I've seen enough of both of them, so I put other people in. I thought of Cochran, too, but I don't need to see him again unless he's on a winner's season.

SAV

Saw the news that Dan from Gabon has died at the age of 40.
dan4.jpg

http://people.com/tv/survivor-gabons-dan-kay-dead-at-40/

PUSH

Tony would be my first target. He is kind of the guy who invented modern-day Survivor. He's truly a game changer. Cirie, Andrea and Ciera would also be early targets for me. But we all know how things shift so quickly in the game where someone else could become a huge threat and target.

Andrea is who I want to win.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom