Surprise trip

MAmoore

I'm taking my younger sisters to wdw but i want to make it a surprise.I want them to be part of the planning though. I thought about telling them that we have to cancel the Disney trip because i have to fix my car or something like that a month before and tell them we can still go to San Antonio. then surprise them the morning we leave. Have any ideas how i could surprise them. BTW they will be 13 and 12.

jlsHouston

I think you would traumatize them if you started planning a trip and then told them you were cancelling it and swapping out a trip to San Antonio instead. How about make the trip for 1 year past when you are actually going and plan that trip with them, then surprise them with the real departure date when it's time to go.

Upvote 0

BransonJ

I agree with above. However I never understand the point and or meaning in surprising anyone with disney world. Even as a kid, and adult, some of the best part of a disney vacation is the anticipation of going. It makes the vacation last longer cause you get to look forward to it. I may get heat from this just I will never understand the point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cw1982

I think you would traumatize them if you started planning a trip and then told them you were cancelling it and swapping out a trip to San Antonio instead. How about make the trip for 1 year past when you are actually going and plan that trip with them, then surprise them with the real departure date when it's time to go.

This. 100%. Then there's no disappointment involved; it's still the hype of getting to go and then finding out that it's sooner rather than later would be an added bonus!

I agree with above. However I never understand the point and or meaning in surprising anyone with disney world. Even as a kid, and adult, some of the best part of a disney vacation is the anticipation of going. It makes the vacation last longer cause you get to look forward to it. I may get heat from this just I will never understand the point.

I can totally relate to this... I'm having a little too much fun planning our trip for this June! That's part of the reason why I like what @jlsHouston suggested. The kids still get to have the fun of being involved in the planning, so they're still getting the whole experience.

Upvote 0

EricJ

That's part of the reason why I like what @jlsHouston suggested. The kids still get to have the fun of being involved in the planning, so they're still getting the whole experience.

In that case, how about saying you're thinking of planning a trip for "later", asking them for help to pick on the website/DVD all the things they "would" want to do on a trip--And then, after they've gotten their fantasy lists, let them see the reservation dates?

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
In that case, how about saying you're thinking of planning a trip for "later", asking them for help to pick on the website/DVD all the things they "would" want to do on a trip--And then, after they've gotten their fantasy lists, let them see the reservation dates?
Yep. This.

Plan a "dream vacation" together...then surprise them with making it real!

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Wow yeah definitely don't tell them it's canceled! You risk them being upset or risk them telling you that they didn't wanna go in the first place! I like @EricJ ideas of having them watch the DVD and choosing things for a hypothetical trip, but I would still keep it a secret until almost close to going. This would involve them in the planning but still keep it a secret.good luck and happy planning!

Upvote 0

rt06

I'm taking my younger sisters to wdw but i want to make it a surprise.I want them to be part of the planning though. I thought about telling them that we have to cancel the Disney trip because i have to fix my car or something like that a month before and tell them we can still go to San Antonio. then surprise them the morning we leave. Have any ideas how i could surprise them. BTW they will be 13 and 12.

You're going to not drive your car for a month? How much time left do you have?

Upvote 0

MAmoore

Original Poster
You're going to not drive your car for a month? How much time left do you have?
No im going to drive it just tell them something happened to it so I had to use the vacation money.just act like I already got it fixed.They don't know alot about cars so they wouldn't question it.But I think im not going to do a suprise "early" trip instead.

Upvote 0

Bocko57

Are you driving or flying?

A few years back I surprised my son with a trip to Disney. How did I do it? We frequently talk about Disney and the things we like and want to do so I didn't even tell him we were going anytime soon or within the following year. My son lives with his mother but I happen to have him for the week for his mom was going to be out of town with my daughter. The time frame was May and he was still in school. I told him that I would take him out of school for one day to go to Kings Island (which is about an hour away). So on Tuesday night, I told him on Wednesday I was taking him to Kings Island. That night my wife and I packed his clothes and items he would need for the 5 day trip and placed it in the truck of the car. That morning we got up early and drove to the airport (he was thinking we were going to Kings Island). The airport was about an hour away so that worked well for my plans. My wife went with us (which worked well into the surprise). When we got to the airport, my son thought my wife was going somewhere. But when I told him he need ed to get out of the car, he said, "what?, why?" I said, "We are going to Disney World!" He was speechless with his mouth wide open. Then he flew out of the car and he was ready to go. He was so excited. To add to the story: As most of you Disney Lovers, we are big planners and plan our trips months if not years in advanced. I planned this trip on Sunday and we left on Wednesday. In all the 20+ trips to Disney, this was one of the best ones ever.

I hope this might give you some ideas on your surprise planning. Have fun!

Upvote 0

rt06

Ok. Doesn't matter which steps you've completed so long as you're not within the FP+ window (if staying on property).

1. You and 13 y.o. (minimum age) sign up for MDE. Link accounts, but don't give her any planning privileges.
2. ADRs

13 y.o. should be able to view the itinerary that you plan together, sharing such unbridled joy with little sis. They will count the days until the FP+ window (if staying on property). Before your FP+ window opens up:

3. Delete 13 y.o. from friends/family list. She can no longer view itinerary.
4. Tear their poor little hearts out with a vicious lie about some financial difficulty.
5. Try not to laugh.
6. Put her back on friends and family list, but don't link accounts.

You'll have to manage FP+ on your own to keep them in the dark.

Upvote 0

MarFV

Me too. I dislike the surprise trips. Might work for some but it would not be good for my family. Plus, we are having so much fun anticipating.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I was also going to suggest that you reveal the surprise by making the surprise reveal the actual dates. i.e. we're not going 6 months from now....we're going now!

I've planned 3 surprises so far. My children are younger, but I've put together some really crazy surprise reveals. One of the ones that I didn't use might actually work really well for older kids --->

I had several variations of this, but essentially it was to get them in the car- thinking we were going one place...only to drive them to the airport instead. I had this crazy idea that I'd pick them up at school...have them think we're just going home...but just start driving to the airport. You could even tell them you're doing a realistic test run for your trip...have them do a packing drill where they pack their carryons/suitcases...and then surprise the daylights out of them when it turns out to be a live run. You could even play Disney songs along the way and have a sing a long. It would still work if you're driving...i.e. pretend you're trying to see how quickly you can get everything packed up just to have them find out you'll be pulling out of the driveway in 30 min.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I understand your point, but I would have no problem if someone wanted to surprise me with a sudden trip to WDW! LOL

We have actually planned our WDW trips in several ways for our kids. The first trip when they were 5 and 7 we told them about a month in advance - they had no idea what to expect and couldn't anticipate much except what they saw on the Planning DVD. The second trip when they were 7 and 9 we told them months in advance and they were super-excited. The third trip was when they were 9 and 11, and they also knew about it well in advance and gave input on the planning. And the last trip was when they were 11 and 13, and we told them just 4 days beforehand as a Hanukah gift - the looks of joy and squeals of delight from that surprise were something I will never ever forget. We're heading to DL in May, and they have known about that for months as well. So I can see going both ways on this.

As for the OP, I agree with the others not to offer the trip then pretend to cancel it - that would be traumatic!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom