Trip Report SURPRISE SEPTEMBER TRIP REVEALED.... BUT WAS IT A SURPRISE?

This is my first trip report and I hope I can compare to the high standards of some of the trip reports I read before our trip, during my research period. Thank you by the way to all who indirectly made this a magically and memorable trip.

We did manage to make it to WDW and back home safely. Been home for about 6 days now and still working at cleaning/organizing everything after the trip. Especially all the photos taken. I had a personal count of about 2200 pictures/videos of my own. Now mind you most of those were similar. By that I mean, my cameras have the option of taking up to 3 photos in a row. I thought best to use this feature in order to acquire the perfect shot, instead of being stuck with only the 'one' picture of someone looking elsewhere or with their eyes closed. And of course there were those few shots taken of the ground that always appear to happen. Not to mention just over another 1000 photos in my Memory Maker account. I think this was a very good investment on my part.

I guess I should start by back tracking a little.

Why? Besides the answer of why not, this trip started to flourish by the kids last year asking if we could go to WDW. I promised we could in two or three years but we would have to cut back on some of our spending and start saving for it. So, true answer, promise made.

How? Things just ended up falling into place to go this September, about a year in advance. I was able to receive some severance from a project I was helping with and thought our WDW trip would be a good way of using it.

When? I was originally thinking of going around March 2017, near to DD's birthday, but further research provided information September provided some of the lowest crowd levels. This would be an extra benefit for someone who has not been to WDW in about 40 years to be able to get around. September provided some extra benefits besides the lower crowds, lower costs and free dining. I would happen to have the children for a 3 week period in September and would allow flexibility to when we would fly. (Only later to decide we would be driving instead, but still allow us to be at WDW longer than the normal 7 days I have the children.) It would also be DS's birthday during this 3 week period and who won't want to celebrate their birthday at WDW.

I decided we would drive down (more due to trying to keep it a secret longer), departing Canada on Monday, September 12th taking the scenic route to WDW. We would arrive at WDW on Thursday, September 15th and depart on Friday, September 23rd. This would give us newbies 7 full days in the parks to explore.

I should add that while I was organizing the above, the children were planning a trip for the three of us to go to WDW July 2017 for my birthday. I know I am mean in being so deceitful, but I actually did give them the option to help plan 'a trip I was planning' but they wanted it to be a surprise. So, really it is their own fault. :p:D:rolleyes:;):joyfull:

Who?

Me- Paul

9 MK_ENCHANTEDTALESGOLD (2).jpeg

DS - Daniel

9 MK_ENCHANTEDTALESGOLD (49).jpeg

DD - Christina

9 MK_ENCHANTEDTALESGOLD (57).jpeg

I think I will end it here for now. I will be back soon to report our departure and our first leg of our drive.

Scoppin

Original Poster
TUESDAY, SEPT 21 -- END OF DAY 5

More pictures from the rapids. These may not be in order. Okay, I know they are not in order. Not sure if from our first or second ride. Well, I guess I do know. DS got wet on our first ride, so these are from our first ride. Whew, glad got that cleared up.

DS with Everest in the background. Prior to getting wet.
26 kali rapids (59).JPG

Surprise look after getting wet when he thought he was in the clear.
26 Kali Rapips Enlargements (57).JPG

After getting shot in the back.
26 Kali Rapips Enlargements (58).JPG

Preparing to get wet but didn't happen. False sense of security for the remainder of the ride.
26 Kali Rapips Enlargements (59).JPG

There were lots of people waiting around for the lighting of the tree and there were 2 photographers with basically no one to take pictures of. So, we decided to put one to work. Family of wet rats in front of the Tree of Life.
27 AK_TRPLAZARIGHT Sept 20 (1).jpeg

Before exiting the park we decided to enter the gift shop to see if there was anything we wanted.

Wall of Stitch for @JenniferS. We already had a baby Stitch so no further Stitches were needed.
28 stitch wall.JPG

DS purchased a Pluto and Donald plush to round out his collection of the boys from the big 6. DD picked out a Daisy plush to go with her Minnie plush and a wooden giraffe mask. I got a simple Go Green shirt with the Tree of Life on it.

The Tree of Life was starting to light up and I managed to take this shot.
29 tree of life (2).JPG

We were finally out of the park but no done taking pictures. One with the Rainforest Cafe sign.
30 rainforest cafe (1).JPG

And with the fountain.
30 rainforest cafe (4).JPG

Then someone came by an offered to take a family picture. Crazy family shot.
30 rainforest cafe (5).JPG

We were now headed to our bus in order to get back to Sports so the kids could go for a swim. My agenda originally had Kali Rapids after the Mickey/Minnie M&G so that we won't have to go into an A/C location all wet. Didn't think we would actually be riding the bus all wet, but that is exactly what happened. Don't blame us, we weren't the ones who put a water ride in the park. We just rode it. :p:p

By this time it had to be close to 8:30 pm and the kids were saying they were hungry. We put our things away in our room and went back down to the food court to have a late dinner. The kids decided to have pizza and I wanted a burger. So, they went off on their own to order their dinner in the next line over. I hopped in the line in order to get a burger. This must have been the longest I waited for anything all day. It appeared everyone wanted either a burger or chicken strips. I should have decided to have pizza as well. By the time I got my meal the kids were sitting on the floor, in front of a cash register. It was already about 9:20 and we hadn't eaten as of yet. And you have read how slowly DD eats and the pool closes at 10;00. This is not a good combination considering their plans. I finally had to break the news to them that they were not going to be swimming tonight. I know, I am such a bad father. The other factor we had to take into consideration was that we had an early morning coming up. They were not very happy with the decision but time was not on our side and having them get a good nights sleep for tomorrow's activities. So, after finishing our dinner we made our way back to our room and prepared to end our day.

So, tomorrow is a big day. Tomorrow is someone's true birthday and will be officially 11. :jawdrop::jawdrop::joyfull: We have an early breakfast ADR scheduled at Hollywood & Vine as well. This so we can beat rope drop and hopefully eat our breakfast before the mad dash to the Jedi training sign up. But I wasn't putting much hope into this considering our record so far. Just have to see how tomorrow turns out.

Wrap up for today.

The morning was going so wonderfully until DD decided she wanted to leave early in order to go swimming. Even though that didn't work out. I am really glad I had the extra show times on my agenda. It does look like someone just went crazy with a pen on the second half of the agenda, but we managed to complete just about everything. We didn't venture into Dino Land but I think we were okay with that. I think someone would have liked to have seen Goofy and Pluto again but sometimes can't do everything. I think the only thing we were not able to complete was the Maharajah Jungle Trek, a night safari and I had the Jungle Book of Life but it hadn't started as of yet anyway.

DD was able to see one more Princess, bringing her total up to 22. And now officially she has had a M&G with all 13 Princesses/Queens. Not including Elena as she didn't have an official M&G at this time. DS was able to meet Mickey twice today taking his total to 6.

I think today was another great day.

High expectations are set for tomorrow and worried on if they will be able to be met. Fingers crossed.

Scoppin

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 - HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS/SOMEONE'S BIRTHDAY :D:D:joyfull::joyfull:

This morning started off a little different than our other mornings. We had to have a little birthday celebration of our own before heading out to the park. I gave DS his little Mickey Mouse gift bag with his Mickey Mouse birthday and a couple of Star Wars gifts to open before we headed out. Yes, now I officially had an 11 year old on my hands. :eek::eek::p

For those who did not follow my pre trip report, this day has caused me a great deal of stress and frustration. And no it was not because of DS turning 11, at least not directly. More directly, trying to make sure this was the best day of the trip because it was his birthday and he is a big Star Wars fan. He also likes Indiana Jones, the Muppets and Toy Story. Today was all about him and no girly girl things going on today. :p:p:p:p Of course this was helped out by our earlier half day at Hollywood Studios. The almost most important thing on the agenda today was a lightsaber battle with Darth Vader. And how was the best way of guaranteeing this, but an early breakfast at Hollywood and Vine. I was able to get a ADR for 8:35 am. And then an EMM, Early Morning Magic, offer came available for Wednesdays at Hollywood & Vine allowing us to enter at 7:45 am and flexible time to have breakfast up until 10:00 am. I thought long and hard about spending the extra money on this, for the three of us, but assuring this was the most awesome day was the priority. So, I purchased three tickets for the event and had to cancel my ADR. Then I received the call informing me the Wednesday events were no longer being offered. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I told the CM they couldn't do this to me and explained why. In the end there was not much I could say which would allow me to keep the EMM. I was glad I was going to get my money back, oh and three FP for each of us. (more on this later) But now I had to scramble to get an early breakfast ADR. My first successful ADR was for 8:40. Not the best time for what I had planned. Was thinking of hitting the Jedi Training sign up table first and be late for breakfast. However, as I kept searching for earlier ADRs, I would slowly creep closer to the time I ultimately was looking for. Until finally, while driving down, I was able to achieve almost exactly what I wanted, an 8:05 am ADR. It was as close to the 8:00 as I could get and could be happy with this. This could allow us to have breakfast first and then sign up for Jedi Training, so I thought.

Here is how our day was lining up:

8:05 Breakfast at Hollywood & Vine
10:10 FP Star Tours: The Adventure Continues
12:00 FP Indiana Jones Show
3:40 FP Toy Story Mania
6:30 Dinner at Hollywood & Vine for Minnie's Halloween Costume party

Yes, I know some of the above I didn't need FPs for, but also remember, we had 3 other FPs we could use anytime we wanted to. So, now back to the day's events.

We made excellent time this morning. We were at the park by 7:35 am. Time enough to take a few pictures before greeting security.
1 Disney studios entrance (2).JPG

For some reason DS didn't want to be in this picture. Surprised DD is this happy so early in the morning.
1 Disney studios entrance (3).JPG

As you can tell, there were not a lot of people here at 7:30ish. We got into the very small line to wait before the gates opened. I think there might have been 10 people/families in front of us. There were some nice CMs who came by to verify we were there for breakfast and checked their list. They also gave the kids some stickers as well. Then I heard one CM state; for those looking to sign up for the Jedi Training just follow the signs. ??!!??:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: From all that I had read, sign up opened up at 9:00 am no questions asked. Well, I wasn't going to ask any questions, if they were going to allow us to sign up prior to breakfast then I was not one to argue. It was not even 7:50 yet and they opened the gates, okay gate. Again, not going to argue but go with the flow. And when we go to the corner, there was a CM standing there pointing out the direction to the Jedi Training. So, of course that is where we went to first. Believe they had 3 sign up desks opened, and we were next in line while those in front of us signed up. I also notice there was a father standing behind us all alone. I decided to do my good deed for the day. I turned to him and asked if he was signing up for the Jedi Training. He replied that since they were allowing to sign up early he would sign up his daughter, who was not there. I explained to him, from what I had read, the children participating in the training had to be present at the time of signing up. He told me he was not aware of that, thanked me, departed and soon returned with his daughter.

We went through our sign up process which included the children being asked some questions and understanding of some of the rules. He asked what time we wanted and I replied 10:10 the first time slot. We were informed we had to return 30 minutes prior to our training session. I knew it was going to be a hot one today and didn't want to be in the heat later in the afternoon. Also, less chances of being cancelled and keeps my agenda intact. ;);) Then the CM asks us how many in our party. I replied just the three of us. He then gave us a card and explains for those signing up for the Jedi training today, were being given a FP card for up to 5 in the party. We now have our three original FPs, the 3 FPs from the EMM and now this one. We should have free reign of the park today.

We still had some time before our ADR so what to do, other than take some pictures of my two hams.
DS trying to pick up the box of ammo, but it must have been nailed down. He couldn't budge it. Probably to prevent little adventurers like him from moving it.
2 Indy props.JPG

Shhh, don't let the Russians know our position.
2 Indy props (6).JPG

About to take the truck.
2 Indy props (11).JPG

Even with the above pictures we were still a little early for our ADR and had to wait a little before being seated. Doc McStuffins came by but the kids declined having their picture taken with her nor asked for her autograph. I wasn't expecting anything different as they were a little older and not the real reason why we were there. They did however decide to have their picture taken with Handy Manny. But no autograph. This would be our quickest ADR of our trip. We ate, 'paid' our bill and were taking pictures with speeder bikes & AT ATs and engaging the Tatoone Canteen before 9:00 am.
3 Handy Mandy (2).JPG

However, before leaving Hollywood & Vine I had to use the restroom. I didn't know it at the time but these restrooms were also used by the visitors at 50s Cafe. I took a little side trip before returning back to our table and heading out. A few pictures of an empty 50s Cafe.
4 50s cafe.JPG

4 50s cafe (3).JPG

4 50s cafe (4).JPG

4 50s cafe (5).JPG

Now we had about 40 minutes before we had to come back for the kids Jedi Training. Didn't want to get into any lines, not that many would have been long, but didn't want to risk of missing our return time. So, why not take advantage of the low crowds and take some pictures. Up next, children antics around the park.

Scoppin

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, SEPT 21 - CONTINUED

You give my kids spare time and some props and the following is what you are going to get.

I guess DS didn't realize the power behind the speeder bike. And super speedy DD keeping up with him.
5 speeder bikd Enlargements (1).JPG

DD turn on the speeder bike on the look out for Emperial troops.
5 speeder bikd Enlargements (2).JPG

Not sure if DD is trying to get away from DS as he is hanging on or he slipped off but they can't stop as Stormtroopers are on their way.
5 speeder bike (9).JPG

The young Padawans using their force powers against the AT AT.
6 AT AT (3).JPG

Young Padawan trying to use Jedi mind trick to get himself out.
7 Tatoone canteen (1).JPG

Wookie Padawan calling out for help.
7 Tatoone canteen (5).JPG

Picture with the Tatooine Traders sign.
7 Tatonee canteen (2).JPG

There was something strange going on while we were taking the above pictures. Nuts were falling from the trees. We looked up, which could have been dangerous, and there were squirrels up there. So, of course we had to take it to the next level and say they were throwing grenades at us.

Kids having fun trying to drive away. And if you look closely on the hood of the car, in the middle, there is one of those nuts. They were still 'throwing' them at us.
8 car Enlargements (3).JPG

Picture at the Muppet fountain.
10 Muppets.JPG

And one from the other side.
10 Muppets (3).JPG

No we didn't go in, at least not at this time. We were still exploring the park and still had more time on our hands. So, yet more pictures from the park before having to head back to check in for their Jedi Training.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
What great luck on the big day to be able to get early signup for Jedi Training!

Great photoshoot with your hams, really cute Star Wars pictures. And the empty 50's Prime Time :cool:

Scoppin

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, SEPT 21 -- CONTINUED

Still more time on our hands so some more shenanigans. Okay maybe not as much as earlier.

Picture of the Chinese Theater.
11 chiness theatre (1).JPG

Not sure why, but we still keep coming across these very lonely Disney Photographers. Then again, park is not very busy at this time, as you can see behind us.
12 Sept 21 STUDIO_STUDIOARCH (1).jpeg

Close up.
12 Sept 21 STUDIO_STUDIOARCH (3).jpeg

We were asked to use the Force.
12 Sept 21 STUDIO_STUDIOARCH (4).jpeg

And close up of the kids.
12 Sept 21 STUDIO_STUDIOARCH (5).jpeg

Now it was time to head back to check in for my young Padawans' Jedi Training. The kids were divided into two lines We took the line on the inside. Then they were lined up from shortest to tallest. And then they were given their Jedi cloaks. The CMs also handed the young Padawans small bottles of water. It may have only been 10:00 but it was already getting very warm.

13 jedi training.JPG

The CMs did ask if a couple of Padawans could move from the inner line to the out line, in order to allow someone in her wheelchair and her sister to move to the inner line. I should have really paid more attention to the discussion surrounding this as I should have offered my two to move. I did ask one of the CMs, which line would be facing Darth Vader. The response I got, won't know until we got to the training area. I am thinking I asked the wrong CM. I should have asked the one with the clip board checking all the names, who appeared to know what was going on. Parents were told one adult had to remain with the children and the others could go to the training area. Well, I haven't figured out how to clone myself yet so, I guess I was remaining with my two.

DS in his Jedi cloak waiting outside the training area. And all the Padawans were given little tickets they had to hold onto in order to go into the training. And some of them were pretty small.
13 jedi training (1).JPG

After I took a few pictures of my Padawans before they became Jedi, I looked for a spot I could take some pictures while they trained and dueled. Well there was not much room. Most places were 2 or 3 persons thick. And some kids had 2-4 people taking pictures/videos. And some may have been just watching. I was looking for a place so I could take some pictures/video without heads getting in the way. I did see a father and grandmother in front of me, however she didn't appear to have a camera. So, I politely asked if she was taking pictures as I was looking for a spot to do so. She stated she was going to, but would allow me to take her spot as her son was going to take pictures of her grandchildren. I thanked her and moved forward.

Not everyone was happy to be there. There was a little cute curly blonde Padawan, maybe 4, who started crying and the CM was not able to console her and she eventually was escorted to her parents. Poor girl.

DD ready for her training.
13 jedi training (11).JPG

DS following his instructions.
13 jedi training (14).JPG

Lightsabers up.
13 jedi training (17).JPG

A few more pictures of the training to come and of the duel.

DimpledDevil18

Finally all caught up again! I'm so glad that both of your kids were able to participate in the Jedi Training. Can'tt wait to read more about it. I bet your son was tickled pink. What a great bday gift! I'm also wondering if we challenged Kylo Ren to that light saber duel?

Scoppin

Original Poster
What great luck on the big day to be able to get early signup for Jedi Training!

Great photoshoot with your hams, really cute Star Wars pictures. And the empty 50's Prime Time :cool:

Yes, I was really surprised and pleased when they allowed us to sign up prior to even having breakfast. It was a real bonus and help guarantee a spot for the training. I wanted first thing, not just to go with my agenda, but mostly in case something later caused it to be delayed or cancelled.

Thank you for following.

They do like to get silly. The AT AT shot was a bit of a challenge, as I had to lay down in order to get the best shot.

I thought some may appreciate an empty 50's Prime Time.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Finally all caught up again! I'm so glad that both of your kids were able to participate in the Jedi Training. Can'tt wait to read more about it. I bet your son was tickled pink. What a great bday gift! I'm also wondering if we challenged Kylo Ren to that light saber duel?

The were both looking forward to the Jedi Training. One of the biggest/most important things topping their list of things to do while at WDW. The main reason why this day was one of my most stressful in organizing.

Speaking of Kylo Ren. I will have a couple of pictures with Kylo Ren for you or should I say more for your brother.

Scoppin

Original Poster

DS getting his training in. Block.
13 jedi training (22).JPG

Darth Vader coming out to scare the young Padawans.
13 jedi training (26).JPG

Sinister Sister out to 'greet' the young Padawans as well. Guess who my two faced.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (1).jpeg

Time for my DD Padawan to battle Sinister Sister. Ready stance.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (46).jpeg

Block attack from the left.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (47).jpeg

Block high.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (48).jpeg

Swing upwards.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (49).jpeg

Thrust forward.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (51).jpeg

Block on the right.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (52).jpeg

DS getting ready for his duel with Sinister Sister.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (3).jpeg

As you can see from the pictures, it is not only hot but very sunny. I don't think there was a cloud in the sky. We were sweating and it wasn't even 10:30 yet. I couldn't image what the kids would feel like in the middle of the afternoon. Actually, we would considering we were still going to be in the park. Hot, very very hot.

Coming up next DS's duel with Sinister Sister.

Scoppin

Original Poster

Left Block.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (54).jpeg

Ready for the downward attack.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (55).jpeg

Blocked.
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (56).jpeg

Now ready for the next move....
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (57).jpeg

Block to the right....
13 Sept 21 STUDIO_JTA2 (58).jpeg

They did have smiles on their faces while dueling, however there was still some disappointment. I have spoken with them several times afterwards. Yes, the biggest disappointment was not battling Darth Vader. The second was the rehearsed duel. They were hoping for a free style duel. I did mention it may be difficult to do that with that many Padawans and several times a day. They sort of understood and had a more free style lightsaber duel later in the day. But we all agreed, it was better to have accomplished the Jedi Training than not and always thinking what if.

It was now time to get on with the rest of our agenda. First up, our FP for Star Tours. We caused a little disturbance while there. We made it to our seats, which were near the back of our shuttle, however DS mentioned he couldn't see due to those in front of us. The CM stated they were about to take off and if there were any questions. I put up my hand and mentioned if we could shift our seats down as DS couldn't see. We did, now DS was happier, but the CM had to reset the program for our launch, oh well. There really was no sense in DS sitting there not being able to see. It was his birthday after all.

We had some time before our next FP for Indy so we took the short walk to see the Muppets a little earlier than planned. The kids were entertained by the queue and the show as well.
Not the best picture of the old grumpy guys, but it was the best of the three I had.
14 muppets (1).JPG

With still some time on our hands we entered the gift shop. DS already had all of the Mickey gang so who else should he purchase other than Kermit. DD picked out a Tsum Tsum. I still don't understand Tsum Tsums but it wasn't for me.

Here we have Kermit sitting on top of the snowman and DD pretending to be cold.
15 snowman.JPG

We finally made it over to Indy and got front row seats on the left side. Was wondering why these were empty when almost all the other seats were taken. Thinking I had missed something as there was water on the ground and thinking those sitting here would get wet.
16 Indy show.JPG

Indy looking down hoping not to end up as that guy.
16 Indy show (1).JPG

Getting ready for the next set.
16 Indy show (7).JPG

More Indy pictures to come and then our quest for lunch. And a quest it was.

Scoppin

Original Poster

Before I continue with the report I would like to hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with you family and friends and if you had any traveling in your plans that they were safe.

More pictures from Indy with a little more action.

'Oh O natives aren't so friendly, where is my guy?'
16 Indy show (11).JPG

'Trust me it will hold!'
16 Indy show (16).JPG

Who has the marshmallows?
16 Indy show (26).JPG

Time to bring out the big guns.
16 Indy show (27).JPG

As per normal after a show/attraction we ventured into the respected gift shop. The kids enjoyed looking around at all the Indy related items. DS finally settled on what he wanted to purchase; a glass translucent skull, three rock crystals and an Indy hat. The hat was pricey, but he had lost his beloved fedora only a few months ago, so I knew this would be an item he would use so I approved of the purchase. The crystals and skull were directed to Sports and DS switched his ball cap for his new purchase. DD asked about purchase a hat as well. I told her there were not any for ladies, especially any that would fit her tiny hat. I may have also added she didn't always have to follow her brother. I did ask the CMs if there were any in children sizes. The mentioned there were not. It was here again I made the comment the gift shops appear to be more geared to adults and not enough items for children. DD ended up settling for an Indy Pin and we added it with the items being sent to Sports.

We were ahead of schedule after Indy considering we had already visited the Muppets and the kids mentioned they were hungry. We were about to feel like Indy on the quest for the Holy Grail. Have I mentioned DD is a very picky eater. Well to day was going to prove it and put it to the test. She was feeling like a hot dog today and I don't mean like she was acting this morning. Our first stop was the Backlot Express. Nothing on the menu that appeased DD's hunger. Next up ABC Commissary and again nothing on the menu to appease DD's hunger. I was really hoping to eat somewhere inside with A/C in order to get out of the heat but it didn't appear this was going to happen. But our quested continued. We were not able to end our quest at Starring Rolls Cafe or The Trolley Car Cafe either. I managed to get onto the DME app to see what else was left. Pizza was now on the menu at Catlina's Eddies. Now the next thing was to find Catlina's Eddies. We ended up going past it as didn't see the sign but we finally circled around and found it and a table which may have been the most difficult part of our quest. It may not have been inside with A/C but at least we had an umbrella to shade us from the sun. I sent the kids to save the table while I ordered lunch. The lines were not that bad and before long the kids had their cheese pizzas with lemonade and I had a pepperoni pizza with lemonade.

While we were eating there was a CM walking around singing and entertaining the guests. He stopped at one table and sang happy birthday to one individual. I mentioned to DS I was going to call the CM over to let him know it was his birthday. DS asked me not to. Like that was going to stop me. And yes, I did call over the CM and when he came I pointed out it was DS's 11th birthday today. The CM made sure everyone in ear shot was aware of DS's birthday and then proceeded to sing Happy Birthday to DS. I am such a bad father. :devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

It was now time to check out the Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away show.

C3P0 and R2.
17 galaxy far far away.JPG

Darth Maul
17 galaxy far far away (5).JPG

Darth Maul using the force.
17 galaxy far far away (7).JPG

Chewy!
17 galaxy far far away (12).JPG

Boba Fett.
17 galaxy far far away (17).JPG

Stormtropper missing its target again.
17 galaxy far far away (18).JPG

More pictures from the show coming up as well as from the March of the 1st Order.

Scoppin

Original Poster

More from Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Darth Vader is next to come out.
17 galaxy far far away (24).JPG

Captain Plasma.
17 galaxy far far away (26).JPG

Kylo Ren using the force. @JenniferS I know he is your 'favourite' :p:p:p:p
17 galaxy far far away (33).JPG

The heroes.
17 galaxy far far away (38).JPG

The Grand Finale.
17 galaxy far far away (43).JPG

There was a little time before our next event but we were not going anywhere. Most attendees left to go do other things, but I wanted a good spot for the next event; March of the 1st Order. Taking a look at the outline on the ground I presumed where the crowds were suppose to stand. This was confirmed a little later when CMs came by to put up rope barriers and I asked. I did prefer a little closer to the stage but our location would come in handy for a future photo op. Considering how sunny and hot it was, I told the kids to go sit by the stage in the shade. I could tell they were starting to get a little over heated.

Current spot also allowed to have a view of the March as they came towards us. However, they turned to go behind the stage and around behind us, so no shot of them coming at us. Captain Plasma giving out orders.
18 first order march.JPG

Appears the Stormtroopers were not exactly sure which way to be facing.
18 first order march (3).JPG

This is the photo op I was referring to above. The Storm Troopers advanced to oust any possible Rebels. I think I pointed to DS and stated he was a Rebel. Should have seen the look on his face. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: But thought it was interesting to take this face to face encounter.
18 first order march (15).JPG

Captain Plasma giving final orders and they marched back to their headquarters.
18 first order march (18).JPG

The March was over and not it was time to take care of my Jedis and prevent them from being dehydrated. We headed to Backlot Express in order to get some ice water. The CM ended up giving us some larger cups instead of the normal small cups, and mentioned we could fill them. As luck would have it, I was no longer bringing one of our refillable mugs. It could have been handy here as they had their own drink dispenser unit. But we noticed one problem, there was no water. So we went with the blue Gatorade. However, unfortunately DS lost his grip on the cup and it went tumbling to the floor. We did mention it to a CM, as we didn't want anyone to slip on it, and DS go another refill.

We took a little time to enjoy our cold drinks in the A/C before heading to our next stop, toy Story Mania, as our window was about to open.

Scoppin

Original Poster

Before we made it to Toy Story we stopped for a quick ice cream break. Just another way to cool down on this hot day.

We made one more stop before taking our ride. Yes, we decided to enjoy some time with yet another lonely photographer.

Here we are joined by Woody and Jessie.
19 STUDIO_JTA2 (155).jpeg

Family shot. And here is the first picture with DS wearing his new hat he purchased earlier in the day.
19 STUDIO_JTA2 (158).jpeg

Using the force one more time.
19 STUDIO_JTA2 (159).jpeg

We did see some Toy Soldiers walking around the other day, but never able to catch up to them in order to have a picture with them.

There was a line to wait in to get on, however this is what the FP line looked like. Glad we were able to turn Mickey's head green. Now we also had 4 more FPs, thanks to the lose of our EMM event and signing up for Jedi training, to use up. We had a plan. DS was going to go it along first, than DD and than I. This would still leave us with two FPs to use.
20 toy story mania.JPG

DS pretending he has his own etch a sketch.
20 toy story mania (1).JPG

DS ready to take on Zurg on his own.
20 toy story mania (4).JPG

My traveling partner for this ride sporting those fashionable glasses.
20 toy story mania (6).JPG

The ride was interesting. Below will demonstrate how interesting. I am player 1. For some reason, my shooter was not working correctly. It didn't start collecting/recording points until just before the ride was over. I thought it would be best to mention it to a CM so that future riders would have have the same fate as I did. They offered for DD and I to ride again, but not DS. I asked what I was suppose to do with DS as I didn't want to leave him alone or have him to go outside. They stated he could wait to the side. I wasn't too comfortable with this. DD actually mentioned about him joining us. The CM stated all three of us could ride but one of us, the one in the middle, would not be able to shoot. I mentioned I was okay with sitting in the middle. I called for DS to come and join us. We waiting for the CM to assign us a new car.
20 toy story mania (9).JPG

This would be the scores of our second ride. DS was player 1 and DD was player 2.
20 toy story mania (12).JPG

I suggested going again, as planned, however DS stated he didn't want to. He says he didn't enjoy the ride. He still says he didn't enjoy it. I am still not sure if it was because he didn't enjoy it or if it had something with him having to sit alone after our first ride. I hope it was about the former as I was already feeling bad about having to tell him he had to sit as DD and I went on the extra ride. Thinking I should have just have declined the extra ride and gone with our original plan.

We made it over to our next stop, Star Wars: Launch Bay in order to meet Chewy and Kylo Ren. We asked about the wait times and were told 10 and 20 minutes. However, we saw both of them within 10 minutes.

First a picture with Storm Troopers behind DD and DS.
21 Kylo ren.JPG

Next our encounters with who we were there to see.

Scoppin

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, SEPT 21, -- CONTINUED

I am back from a little break. Spending bunch of time with the kids which didn't give me much time to be on the computer. Getting close to the end of our trip so hopefully will be able to compete the report before month's end. We'll see.

But before I continue, I hope everyone was able to have a great Christmas with your family and friends and enjoyed New Year's.

Now for whom we are here to see.

First up, Kylo Ren. I won't say it was the most 'enjoyable' character M&G but then again it won't be if they were in true character. So, we/I made the most of it.

Family picture with Kylo. I don't remember him speaking with us. You are probably wondering about the grins. Well this wasn't the first picture we took.
21 Kylo Ren Enlargements (26).JPG

Here is the picture taken before the above picture.
Here is one for @JenniferS and @DimpledDevil18 or maybe more your brother (I was thinking about him when I was doing this. Thinking he won't appreciate it much as he had told you to stop laughing as it was serious.)
21 STUDIO_JTA2 (151).jpeg

As mentioned, we brought a few mini mes in order to enhance our character experience. We brought a couple for today's M&Gs, however DS almost forgot about the one for this M&G until we were 'told' our session was over and we had to leave. DS went back to Kylo and showed him his father. I forget exactly what he told Kylo, could be I brought your father for you or you father misses you, but you can see he had his had covering his mouth hiding his smirk smile. Kylo was not impressed and told him he was told to leave and should do so. The CM who was also in character mention we were to leave as well.
21 Kylo Ren Enlargements (27).JPG

Now for a little more enjoyable experience. DS being swallowed up by Chewy in a big hug.
22 Chewbacca DSCF0750 (5).JPG

A big hug to make DD disappear as well.
22 Sept 21 STUDIO_LBLGHTSDECHAR1.jpeg

Same hug for DS from a different angle.
22 Sept 21 STUDIO_LBLGHTSDECHAR1 (1).jpeg

Family shot with Chewy and DS doing his Wookie call. Don't have a picture of it, but DS showed Chewy mini Han Solo. He held it to his chest as if to demonstrate that he missed him. DD showed Chewy her mini Chewy. He held the mini up and did a call out.
22 Sept 21 STUDIO_LBLGHTSDECHAR1 (5).jpeg

As you can see from above more smiles from this visit than our previous one. But we would not have expected anything different.
While waiting in line to see Kylo we took this pictures of some helmets.
23 artifacts.JPG

Also took a few pictures of the lightsabers on display. This one the kids are pretending they are holding the lightsabers.
23 artifacts (3).JPG

Coming up was one of my other rookie errors. Or maybe more of being in a rush and not packing properly. And the fact I forgot about these guys. I heard guests were able to trade with the Jawas if they brought the right items. Well I had brought things with us in order to trade, but forgot all about them back in our room. We had gotten some pins when we went to a special showing of the Huntsmen. Thought these would be perfect. But unfortunately we will never know. So, when we got here I was trying to go through our backpack to see what the kids could use. We were not able to come up with anything, but at least this Jawa allowed the kids to have a picture with him. Not sure where the other one wondered of to.
25 Jawa Enlargements (29).JPG

Coming up a little more from Launch Bay, including hopefully a lightsaber duel, some shopping as we had some time before our dinner and of course our main feature of the evening, dinner.

Scoppin

Original Poster

More pictures from launch bay. Some artifacts.

The Millennium Falcon
26 props.JPG

Rey's headgear and blaster.
26 props (2).JPG

A few other vehicles.
26 props (4).JPG

Then we entered the gift shop. I didn't take any pictures but the costumes up for sales was something. I think Darth Vader's was $4000. A few of the CMs had these really nice lightsabers. They would glow up and makes some noise. The kids asked if they could hold them and their request was granted. Apparently the kids didn't get enough lightsaber dueling earlier this morning so they had their own.
27 lightsaber duel (3).JPG

The CMs just stood back and watched. I was the worried parent telling them to be careful not to injure anyone or break anything. Luckily there were no incidents. The CMs did make a few comments throughout the duel. I was able to video the duel, which is below, before taking the above picture. You will notice at the end of the video DD uses the force to 'push' back DS, which he did take a few steps back. This was one time I did hear the CM make comment they must have done this before, and well, as DS moved back due to the force push. (I hope I remembered how to upload a video)

We had some time before dinner so a little giftshop shopping was in order. First, I wanted to add to my Planet Hollywood collection. One shirt than over to Tatooine Traders for a little more. Each of the kids purchased a lightsaber, not the nice ones they were dueling with earlier. I did try to talk DS into purchasing a Death Star table lamp but he didn't go for it. I purchased another shirt, this one stated, 'I am your father' with a lego Darth Vader on the front.

It was not getting close to checking in for our dinner, so we started to make our way over to Hollywood and Vine. But we had to make one stop first. We passed this one or twice already. DS had watched a video of this and wanted to pull the rope in order to hear the voice from below call out.
28 Indy well.JPG

We finally made it to our destination and were seated in a different section than we were in the morning. To be honest I don't remember what everyone had for dinner. But then again not really why we were there. This was DS's birthday dinner and for him to meet all of the main characters.

First up was Mickey. I can't remember what Mickey was suppose to be dressed up as. The others are much easier.
29 Mickey (3).JPG

Up next was Cowboy Goofy.
30 Goofy.JPG

My turn with Cowboy Goofy.
30 Goofy (4).JPG

Next up was festive Minnie.
31 Minnie (8).JPG

DD asked me to kiss Minnie for the photo. This didn't cause any incidents.
31 Minnie (9).JPG

More dinner pictures to come.

Scoppin

Original Poster

Before I get back to the photos of our Birthday dinner I decided to get bold and ask for something I was sure didn't happen very often. After all it was for the birthday boy. Want would be the worse they could say, no, same if I didn't ask. What was my request you may be thinking. I asked our server, her name was Rayna. Rayna was another one of our favourite servers. However, we forgot to get a picture with her. Oh, I got distracted again. Question, right. I asked if it would be possible for DS to have a picture with all of the characters considering it was his birthday. She replied she would ask her the manager. She did come back saying it would not likely happen but the manager would come by to speak with me. Well, I was not done trying to make this happen. Shortly afterwards the CM who was accompanying the characters was in our area. I decided to get up and speak with him.

I mentioned it was DS's birthday and asked about the likelihood of having a picture with all of the characters. I added I was aware it could cause some delays in their rotation and others would ask as well, but we didn't have to do it at the time. His reply was a big fat no. Just not done.

So back to the pictures. Next up was Daisy. Here is the kids with her.
32 Daisy (6).JPG

My turn with Daisy.
32 Daisy (9).JPG

I am not sure if DD asked me to, or if I just went for the pose. You can see Daisy was a little shy.
32 Daisy (11).JPG

I also decided to take it a little further. No one caught this on film but I got down on one knee as if I was proposing. Yes, I can be a little sh*t sometimes. All in the name of entertainment.

The one thing you also need to know is that Astronaut Donald was just at the next table. Well, I wasn't expecting it but the above did cause a scene. Donald was right over protecting/defending his girlfriend. He was all upset. You know how he can get at times. All this but without the words. He was 'asking' Daisy what was going on and with me as to what I was doing. This was all entertaining for the kids and I believe some of the surrounding tables.

Below you have Daisy calming Donald down, reassuring him he was her number 1 duck and sealed it with a kiss.
33 Daisy & donald (1).JPG

Donald giving DS his autograph.
34 Donald (2).JPG

Donald with the kids. You can see DD was trying to give him a kiss.
34 Donald (9).JPG

You can see here that Donald hasn't forgiven me yet for 'hitting' on his girl.
34 Donald (11).JPG

You can tell it is getting late by looking out the window. So late in fact the Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular had already started. So much for watching this fireworks show as well. We were not doing very well in this department.

It was time though for DS to get his 'actual' birthday cupcake and card.
36 cake.JPG

Before we left the manager did come see us, twice actually. The first time she mentioned she was aware I had spoken with the character CM. Adding there may be something she may be able to do. The second time she asked if we would be able to come back after the diner had closed. Somewhere between 8:45 and 9:00 pm. I replied we could certainly come back so DS could get the photo opportunity. She mentioned she would be on at the time and we could mention it to the receptionist when we came back as she would know what was going on. I thanked her for this opportunity as I was sure it didn't happen often and confirmed we would return.

There was not much for us to do by the time we exited Hollywood and Vine. The Galactic Spectacular was complete and the park was officially closed, so there were no rides for us to go on. How ever were we going to pass our time until our photo opportunity? Why have a lightsaber duel of course.
37 night.JPG

37 night (4).JPG

Next the conclusion of DS's birthday celebration at DS, WDW.

Last edited:

Scoppin

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, SEPT 21 -- CONCLUSION

The kids could have kept on dueling, but it was getting close to our time to check in for the kids photo opt. I stepped up to speak with the receptionist regarding our 'appointment'. She didn't appear to know why we were there. I mentioned we were asked to return by her manager. She went in, came back out and asked us to wait as they were not quite ready for us. We were finally asked to enter shortly before 9:15 pm.

Here is a picture of the whole gang.
38 whole gang.JPG

The kids with the gang.
38 whole gang (2).JPG

The manager asked if I wanted in the picture. I politely declined adding it was all about the kids.

However, DS asked to have a picture with me as well after the kids came back to me after their photo opt. I should mention we were not the only patrons who were getting a photo opt with the gang. I recognized some as patrons, in our area, who came for the last seating. So, would appear if you have a last seating reservation you are able to have a group picture after closing.

But back to DS's request. The manager had heard and once there was a break between guests she spoke up and mentioned the birthday boy wanted a picture with his father. We waited a short time and we were up taking our family picture.
38 whole gang (4).JPG

I will admit I was time checking and even mentioned asked the manager if we would have difficultly getting a bus back to our resort. She mentioned even though the park is closed the buses keep running until all guests have left the park. This did make me feel better but still a little worried as we haven't been at a park this long after close.

The kids were skipping as we were leaving Hollywood and Vine towards the front gate. But before we actually got to the front gate, one final shopping stop at Mickeys of Hollywood. They each picked up another pin. DD also purchased a unique Elsa/Anna topsy doll. DS and I both think the doll is kind of freaky as you can see the other character, which is not currently being 'displayed', from under the dress.

We finally made our way out of the park and to the bus area. We were asked where we were going by a CM. He then waved for a bus and one quickly pulled out in front of us. As we entered the bus, DS asked the driver if he any of the transportation cards. The driver stated he did, but would give them to him when we got to Sports. I will admit, the driver didn't come off very friendly/polite, and as such didn't put a lot of wait in the kids getting any cards. We actually had the bus all to ourselves. We could pick where ever we wanted to seat and of course DD decided to go right to the back. It wasn't long before we were back at Sports. And I will have to eat some crow for my earlier thoughts. As we made our way to the front of the bus, the driver got up from his seat and dug into his bag. He pulled out a small saran-wrap package, unraveled it and gave each of the kids a complete 3 cards set of the bus transportation cards. He even gave the kids a little tutorial regarding the cards mentioning the set included a bus no longer in operation and suggesting getting the cards from the other methods of transportation. We thanked the driver for the cards and it was a nice way of ending the day.

We made our way back to our room. I did have to mention to the kids we can't judge someone by first impression. Adding the driver was an older gentleman and it was noticeable he did have difficulty moving. This could be because of a long day and/or he may have injuries due to age and/or possibly even being in combat.

We prepared for bed in our usually manner. The kids went to bed and I unpacking our backpack and getting things sorted for our next and final day at WDW. Yes, our trip is just about over. One day left and we will be returning to Magic Kingdom to go on some attractions we haven't been on as of yet and maybe a few extra favourites.

PacNWTigger

That's awesome you guys were able to take a picture with the whole Halloween crew! Looks like you pulled off a wonderful birthday celebration with your kids. Way to go Dad!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom