Trip Report *COMPLETED* SURPRISE.... Christmas Road Trip

Christmas Road Trip

Intro

Hello again everyone.

This is a kind of an unexpected trip report about a kind of unexpected trip. Let me explain…

If you read our last trip report (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ve-a-cat-a-pill-an-august-trip-report.904022/), you may remember that we had planned on coming down around Christmas, but a bit of a mix-up/miscommunication with regards to being able to upgrade our tickets to annual passes put the trip on hold. However, once we got home we started talking about it some more, and were not completely convinced that the trip was off yet. I did a bit of number crunching (you know, something us accountants tend to do), and figured that getting annual passes that we didn’t activate until December wouldn’t cost that much more than getting 10 day park hoppers when we go down for our normal late August trip, and would allow us to go in December and August (and then Disney almost messed it up again by introducing tiered AP pricing, but we decided it was now or never). Couple that with the announcement that it was the last year for the Osborne lights, and we committed to going. We ordered the APs, and with that the trip was back on.

Going down at this time of year has been a “bucket list” kind of thing for us, and so has doing a road trip, so we combined the two into one epic trip.

The cast
AKLODGE_LOBBY_7563260117.jpeg

Same group as always. There is my wife Tammy, our daughter Stephanie (who was 14 when the trip started, and 15 when it ended), our son Liam, and myself (Graham).

Some lead-up stuff

So we were all pretty pumped to be going down to Disney around the holidays. Yes, we heard that the crowds would be insane. Yes we knew that a road trip in December from Ontario to Florida could be called off at the last minute because of weather (especially since our route was going to take us through Buffalo which is kind of known for its big winter storms), but we put that all out of our minds and started prep.

Now December is normally an insane time for our family. We have all the normal Christmas stuff, as well as a church Christmas play that I’m responsible for which just makes December crazy busy…and then I got sick...Really sick. It all started November 30th when I came home from work feeling lousy. The next day was worse (I had a bad cough, vomiting every 30 minutes (but was so dehydrated that nothing would come up), insomnia, etc). December 2nd I went down to the urgent care centre where I was told I had the flu, was given some anti-nausea meds, and told to go home and drink lots of fluids by the doctor. I was also sent for a chest x-ray which allowed the Dr. to rule out pneumonia. The nurse who was helping me wasn’t happy that I was being sent home because I had a fever, but what could she do. Well…It turns out her concerns were well founded. The next afternoon she called me and said I had to come back right away….I had pneumonia. I was driven back down to the urgent care centre where I was hooked up to an IV and had a bunch of different things pumped into me. It was a rough week.

The following week I was feeling well enough to at least go back to work, but it took a lot out of me. We were a bit concerned that the trip could be in jeopardy (it’s a road trip, and I’m the only one in the family who drives). I also still had a terrible cough. The cough lasted for weeks. Fortunately, we have a friend who is a doctor who prescribed me an inhaler on Christmas Eve, and there was no way I was going to miss this trip, so it was on.

One more thing…for the most part all the pictures were taken with my phone. I didn’t want to have to go through bag-check every morning, so I didn’t carry the DSLR with me. This means that night pictures will be a bit grainy.

Wow, that’s a lot of background….so let’s get started

Christmas Day

As if Christmas Day isn’t exciting enough for the kids, we threw in a trip to Disney on top of that. Needless to say the kids were super excited. Liam told us he didn’t sleep at all the night before. We get up, do all the Christmas stuff (open presents, etc), and then head over to my brother’s house for Christmas brunch. Brunch was fun, and ended nice and early (around 1:30). After that it was road trip time.

I should mention that the weather was perfect for driving. Slightly overcast, and way too warm for snow.

We headed home after the brunch and packed the car. I’ll be honest, I was really looking forward to the drive down, but also a bit concerned. We’ve never done a trip like this before, and I wasn’t sure how the family unit would handle that much time in the car (specifically the two kids in the back of the car). We made sure they had plenty of junk food to keep their blood sugar spiked the whole trip.

We're all happy right now...hopefully it lasts:
20151225_143358_HDR.jpg

When we planned the trip, we decided we’d split the drive into 3 days on the way down. Leg 1 would take us from Hamilton (our hometown) to Pittsburgh, leg 2 from Pittsburgh to Charlotte, NC, and then day 3 would be Charlotte to Disney.

Here's the planned route (thanks Google maps)

Screenshot_2016-01-03-19-12-07.png

So the car was packed, and there was nothing but 19ish hours of road ahead of us, so off we went. The drive to the border was great, and the Nexus passes made the trip across the border pretty smooth.
20151225_154428.jpg

Up first...NY state.
20151225_154648.jpg

One thing we wanted to do was stop at every state welcome centre and at least get a picture at each one (The only problem was, we couldn’t find the one for NY state). Before long, we were in Pennsylvania.
20151225_170511_HDR.jpg

After a quick stop at the welcome centre we were back on the road, and hit Pittsburgh around 6ish.

Everyone was feeling a bit hungry now, and I was concerned that we wouldn’t find anything open since it was Christmas day. Fortunately McDonald’s was open, so we had the traditional Christmas dinner of Big Mac’s and chicken McNuggets (I really feel bad that the employees had to work on Christmas day).
20151225_174508.jpg

After dinner we went to the hotel, checked in and called it a night (after the kids had a quick swim). I thought this tree in the lobby looked pretty neat (there was a "waterfall wall" in front of the tree).
20151225_203741.jpg

Tomorrow is more driving (I’ll probably compress the driving days down to a few paragraphs since there wasn’t anything overly exciting to report, and really, I know you all just want Disney pictures right??).

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Very nice TR !! Your family seems to be having a great time. Looking forward to following along for the rest of the trip!

I'm glad you also included some lovely pictures of the Christmas decorations in Wilderness Lodge. I haven't seen any holiday pictures of that incredible lobby before. The photos of the GF were also gorgeous, especially the gingerbread house, which is often photographed by others, too.

fractal

Day 3 continued

After our meal we looked around the store there. Liam saw that they had a sale on the woolly mammoth stuffed animal at the Build-A-Bear, so he spent the last of his Christmas money
View attachment 127732

View attachment 127731
It’s kind of funny to see him straddling that line between being a younger kid and a teenager. There are times he acts too cool for everything, and then times he does something like this. I’m glad he doesn’t let his age get in the way of the things he likes.

With our meal out of the way, we had some time on our hand. We weren’t sure what to do until I checked the MDE app and saw that AK was open until 9 tonight. We have never been to AK in the dark, and had always heard how amazing the park is at night, so we decided that would be our destination.

A not-so-short bus ride later we were there. People were right, this park is just amazing at night. The mood and feel totally changes.
View attachment 127733
The first stop was Primeval Whirl again (which had about a 10 minute wait).
View attachment 127737

View attachment 127738
Not bad.

Next up was Dinosaur. This was really a walk-on.
View attachment 127739
Want a story about how much of a child I really am? Here goes...

So we get seated in the front row of the Time Rover, and the first thing I notice is all the switches and stuff that are right within reach. Figuring they wouldn’t put anything vital to the ride operation within arms-reach of the passengers, I start touching things. Especially this big silver dome thing.
View attachment 127740
Tammy did not approve of this and told me to stop. OK I’ll stop….or….I’ll bide my time. See, I know that Tammy always shuts her eyes at the point where the Carnatorous comes out and they take your picture. So, when that point came:

View attachment 127730
Of course I thought this was just hilarious, and started shaking with stifled laughter. Tammy kept asking what was so funny. “Oh, you’ll see”. She thought it was pretty funny once she saw the picture (“you’re such a child”).

to be continued

That is hilarious! Great "Dad" humor, along with the wheelchair.

AK at night IS awesome!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Following along! I like the music play list, some Christian rock in there.

For sure. I grew up with almost 100% Christian rock. I still enjoy listening to some of the older stuff from the 90's. Last Christmas the kids found three old Whiteheart CDs on eBay and bought them for me.

My daughter is really into Skillet. We actually met them last Summer.

Thanks for reading.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Very nice TR !! Your family seems to be having a great time. Looking forward to following along for the rest of the trip!

I'm glad you also included some lovely pictures of the Christmas decorations in Wilderness Lodge. I haven't seen any holiday pictures of that incredible lobby before. The photos of the GF were also gorgeous, especially the gingerbread house, which is often photographed by others, too.

We love WL almost as much as AKL.

Thanks for reading

gwhb75

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay between days. Been crazy busy these past few weeks (seems to be the same excuse @lostpro9het used for not updating his trip report (but given that @Tuvalu thinks we're both crazy it figures we'd have the same excuses). Anywhooo.....here goes

Day 5 – New Year’s Eve

Happy New Year’s (eve) everyone. We were really looking forward to spending the last day of 2015 at Disney. Back when we were planning the trip, we asked the kids where they wanted to spend New Year’s Eve, and they had decided Hollywood Studios (we were pretty happy about that as we heard MK was going to be crazy). We were all up really early and out the door in great time. We weren’t sure what to expect today in terms of how busy it was going to be, so we wanted to get to the park by rope drop at the latest (We were also interested in seeing how many attractions we could do today on what is a “peak” day). Our plans actually panned out and we were in the park about 5 minutes before the official opening.
STUDIO_HBTAILOR_7565850168.jpeg

It was neat to see CMs lined up giving high fives to everyone walking in this morning.
20151231_075653.jpg

Liam went through the line a few times.
20151231_075656.jpg

Since we were so early, and didn’t have FPs until a bit later in the morning, we decided we’d do standby on RNR first (we had a FP for ToT at around 10:00am, so we couldn’t have one for RNR).
20151231_075847.jpg

The standby line was really short, so Steph, Liam and I rode together (Tammy won’t ride this one).
20151231_080442.jpg

It was a good ride.
20151231_081158.jpg

STUDIO_ROCKNRCOASTERRIDE_7565832264.jpeg

We made this face in honour of Tammy who always makes a face like this whenever she's on a ride that goes fast.

After we got out of RNR it was time for our ToT fastpass (another one Tammy won’t ride). It was fun too.

20151231_082013.jpg

20151231_082633.jpg

20151231_082920.jpg

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
NYE continued

Up next was our FP for Star Tours.
20151231_085140.jpg

20151231_085455.jpg

20151231_090236.jpg

20151231_091832_HDR.jpg

The new scene was pretty neat.

After touring through space we decided to visit Arendell (well Tammy and I did. The kids decided to head back down Hollywood Blvd and try to get back on ToT and RnR again) . Tammy and I got to the Hyperion theatre and jumped in the standby line.
20151231_094225.jpg

We weren’t too hopeful about getting in as the line was pretty long and there were quite a few FP holders. Fortunately, the theatre holds a lot of people, and we did get in.
20151231_100423.jpg

20151231_103253.jpg

It was a good show.

After revisiting Frozen, Tammy and I decided we’d take a little break, so we headed to Starbucks and grabbed a couple of caffeinated beverages.
20151231_105034.jpg

It was a bit busy...

We found a table behind the Starbucks and just sat back and enjoyed doing some people watching (and I answered a few work emails).
20151231_105656.jpg

20151231_110509.jpg

It was a nice change from the seemingly constant go-go-go to just sit and talk. We don’t do that enough when we’re at Disney. While we were sitting there we noticed CMs starting to set up the bar kiosks on Hollywood Blvd. I wasn’t aware the served alcohol around the park for NYE (not that it matters to us since we don’t drink, but it was interesting to see).

to be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
NYE continued
While Tammy and I did our thing, the kids went back to RnR

STUDIO_SUNSET_7566016598.jpeg

STUDIO_ROCKNRCOASTERRIDE_7565938037.jpeg

STUDIO_ROCKNRCOASTERRIDE_7565980609.jpeg

Shortly after finishing our drinks we got a text from the kids asking where we were as they were getting hungry. They found us pretty quickly, and asked if we could get lunch. I find HS to be really light on QS food options, but we decided to give the Commissary another shot (we ate there many years ago and thought “meh”). We were pleasantly surprised this time.
20151231_112145.jpg

20151231_111832.jpg

The kids really like the Goldbergs. This was one of the displays inside the Commissary

I don’t remember exactly what we got (and my pictures from the meal seem to have disappeared), but I do remember someone got shrimp and fries, I think Tammy got a salad, and someone got the surf and turf burger (a burger with a few pieced of shrimp skewered to the bun). All were good. We also tried the BB-8 lemon cupcake and the Holiday gingerbread cupcake.
20151231_112622.jpg

Both were really good.

After lunch we headed back down Hollywood Blvd. We had time some to kill, and decided to go and see BatB. We got there about one minute before the show started, and were happy that there were some seats available (although not many…I say that, but the park is nowhere near as busy as I was expecting. I’m guessing everyone is at MK and EPCOT today).
20151231_120110.jpg
20151231_120548.jpg
20151231_120559.jpg

We all enjoyed the show. After it ended we just sat and let the theatre clear out (we’re in “take it easy” mode today for sure).

to be continued

Last edited:

gwhb75

Original Poster
NYE continued

Next up was our FP for TSMM. We headed over there and thought that the FP line was the standby line. The FP line was backed up to where the Chronicles of Narnia/Legend of Jack Sparrow thing used to be).
20151231_124301.jpg

20151231_124820.jpg

Once you get through the check-in area the line takes off, so not too bad after all.
20151231_125023.jpg
20151231_125205.jpg

Steph and Liam went on together, which meant Tammy and I were riding together this time.
20151231_131408.jpg

It was fun.

Up next was something new...

One of the things we wanted to make sure we did this time was go and see the Improv Comedy Warehouse. We weren’t sure what to expect, but definitely wanted to check it out. We’re glad we did. It was really funny.
20151231_134730.jpg

20151231_134704.jpg

I know they do their best to keep it family friendly, but sometimes things “slip” (which is bound to happen when everything is Improv). For instance…they played a version of Jeopardy where the audience yells out names of Disney movies and the actors have to come up with questions. So the answer was “Toy Story” and one of the answers was “where can you get both a buzz and a woody”. Technically correct, but the double entendre was noted. The other one was when someone yelled out “Mickey”, and one of the answers was “that thing that Bill Cosby gives…” before being shut down by the other actor’s mock disgust. It was really funny. So funny that we did it again (it is easily repeatable as the show is always different).
20151231_142646.jpg

We made a mental note to come back later in the evening to see it again (I had seen a Facebook post that Jim Doyle (one of the guys who used to be in Mulch, Sweat and Sheers) was going to be there.

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
NYE continued

After some good laughs the kids said they wanted to go and see what the lines were like for ToT and RnR again, so we headed back that way. The lines were way too long to wait (even the single rider for RnR was over an hour), so that was a no-go. But…since we were down that way we decided to pop in and check out Club Disney.
20151231_150952.jpg

It was nice to have a cool place to sit. It was pretty dead in there though. There were a few kids dancing, but not many.
20151231_151800.jpg

We hung around Club Disney for about 10 minutes, and then everyone wanted to leave. The kids were starting to feel kind of hungry again, so we picked up two funnel cakes.
20151231_160351.jpg
20151231_162018.jpg

They were quite good. While we were enjoying our deep fried treats, we noticed the tables being set up with the hats and horns for NYE, so we headed over and picked ours up. I don’t know if I have a big head, or if the hats are too small, but it definitely wasn’t fitting on my head.
20151231_163023.jpg

20151231_163101.jpg

20151231_163203.jpg

So we have our hats and horns, and it’s around 7:00pm. Only 5 hours to go. But there is one problem…we’re all exhausted already. We decided to try and take it easy for the next few hours with the full intention of making it to midnight. So what to do…Fantasmic was getting ready for its first show of the night, so we thought we could give it one more shot (we saw it the first time we came to Disney back in 2008, and just didn’t get what all the hype was about). I managed to get a FP for the show so we were guaranteed seats for the first showing. We got there about 30 minutes before the show started and took our seats.
20151231_183017_HDR.jpg

Before long the entire theatre was packed.
20151231_184628.jpg

At 8:00 the show started. Know what??? Still don’t get the hype. I’m not sure what it is, but the show does nothing for me (or the rest of the family). It was a good way to kill some time at least.

A picture after the show
STUDIO_SUNSET2_7566511574.jpeg

to be continued

gwhb75

Original Poster
NYE continued

After the show the kids were hungry again. Liam decided he wanted to try a turkey leg, so we stopped by the Toluca Legs Turkey Co and picked him one up.
20151231_200438.jpg

He had always wanted to try one, so he was looking forward to it.
20151231_200558.jpg

Unfortunately, it didn’t live up to his expectations (he thought it was too greasy, and didn’t like all the little bones once he bit into it). At least he can say he had one. The rest of us went back to the Commissary and basically had the same meal we had at lunch.

After that we headed back to the Comedy Warehouse one last time. It was really good again.

So it’s now 10:00ish. We are almost there. Except for one problem.... We’re done. We’re all exhausted, my feet are killing me, and the kids are starting to bug each other (and, by extension, Tammy and I). As much as we’re all disappointed, we’re not going to make it to midnight. It kind of sucks, but we’ve never been big “stay up until midnight” people anyways (but we’ve never been at Disney for NYE so we were really hoping to do it this year). We decided to call it a night.
20151231_220556.jpg

STUDIO_HBFIVEDM_7566723032.jpeg

We head back to the busses (and “surprise surprise”, there’s no line tonight).

We get back to AKL and there is a NYE party going on in the lobby.
20151231_224707.jpg

We watched for a few minutes (we especially enjoyed the drunk guy who was standing up by the band dancing while his friend stood off to the side laughing at him). We get back to the room around 10:45ish. As disappointing as it was to not stay until midnight, we had a great time today (by my count, we ended up doing around 18 attractions on a day when the crowd calendar was a 10. Not bad at all).

Tammy and I fall asleep pretty quickly. Liam insisted that he made it until midnight, although I’m doubtful. Tomorrow is our last day here.
Happy New Year's everyone
MK_MKCINDCOACH_7564885022.jpeg

end of NYE

gwhb75

Original Poster
Wow that looked like a lot of people..... last days are always horrible! :-(
At times there were a lot of people, but totally manageable if you follow some basic strategies and have the mindset that it is going to be busy.

Last days always kind of suck

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom