Suggestions for character dining as adults/advice for CM's

Mulan

Original Poster
My boyfriend and I love Disney and going to character dining. We don't have children and don't have any family who are young enough to get the attention that most characters give to younger children. We get that the kids are *much* more excited than we are at meeting their fairytale friends. That's not to say we're not grinning and happy they came by. We've been to several character dining events, and we've noticed the same trend. We're stuck in a corner somewhere, and the characters walk right by our table. Literally. Tigger high-fived the kids at the table next to us, took pictures, and wandered away. We had our camera out and on...

Does anyone else have suggestions so that we're not always THAT couple that will have to talk to the CMs in charge of the characters for us to get our photo moment?

But please, if you're a CM, keep this in mind. People without children at character dining like to have attention too. We picked the location to see you guys as much as the parents of the children whose eyes light up. And I do still enjoy taking pictures of characters at 22...

tampabrad

Beat advice I can think of is have it noted on your reservation that you want to have the character experience. When you check in, tell the host/hostess that you want the full experience. When you are greeted by your server, ask them to make sure the characters stop by your table.

The characters should stop at every table reguardless of who is sitting there. If you start interacting with them first, they may take that as more of an "ok" and interact back.

disney magic 06

I must say that is the opposite to our experience. If anything we have found we get extra attention for being a party of 3 or 4 adults. On one occasion at CP an elderly gentleman on his own also seemed to receive special attention from several characters, which was lovely.

At Cafe Mickey at DLP last December one of our group had brought Christmas crackers for the four of us and the debris scattered the table when Pluto came to meet us. He looked all through to find something for himself and my daughter (aged 26!) put a paper hat on his head. He was delighted. Around a half hour later he had gone downstairs (Cafe Mickey is on two floors) when he re-appeared and made his way across the whole crowded restaurant directly to our table. He had his hat in his hand, it had come off and he wanted my daughter to put it back on for him. She did, he 'thanked' her and went straight back downstairs again. Also we had glow stix (yes, we are big kids) and several characters attached them to their ears etc. It was very magical, which is quite something for Paris. We had a brilliant, fun filled evening.

I was surprised to hear of your disappointment Mulan, I can only think you were unlucky. I really hope you have a better experience next time.

muteki

We are both in our mid twenties and travel without kids and love going to character meals. It beats waiting in line to see the characters and you get great food as well. I can only think of one instance where we were "skipped" at Chef Mickey's but it was because one of us was up at the bar and Pluto came back around shortly there after. Otherwise we have never had any issues. Being two young folks visiting on our own seems to attract just as much attention as the families with kids.

Scooter

My wife and I do character meals w/o kids and I've noticed that the more eye contact you make with the characters as they approach your area, the more likely they will interact with you.

Don't wave your arms and/or jump up or down, just look at them as they approach and give them a great big smile, they will come right to your table.
It helps to have your camera sitting on your table out in plain sight.
Have fun!

friendofafriend

My wife and I do character meals w/o kids and I've noticed that the more eye contact you make with the characters as they approach your area, the more likely they will interact with you.

Don't wave your arms and/or jump up or down, just look at them as they approach and give them a great big smile, they will come right to your table.
It helps to have your camera sitting on your table out in plain sight.
Have fun!

That's excellent advice. I'd also add that you should talk to the characters just as if you were meeting someone for the first time. If you sit at your table in silence the characters are likely to assume you're just not interested. The characters are often under a lot of pressure to hit as many tables as possible in a certain amount of time. If you give them the impression that you're more interested in your dinner than the experience of meeting them they'll likely just wave and move on. In my experience the more enthusiatic and prepared the guests are the more attention they receive from the characters regardless of whether there are children at the table or not.

Mulan

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. I look forward to making reservations for Cinderella's Royal Table and taking your advice. :D I'm a bit shy, but it's odd that my boyfriend wasn't able to get the characters' attention.

Cindy'sBruno

DH and I was walking in Frontier Land when Brier Fox came up and nudged my DH out of the way and got down on his knee and grabbed my hand!:lol: Then he started waving DH out of the way. It was priceless! On another trip we brought our Pal Mickey, and had a TS meal at the Garden Grill. Chip came around and picked up the Pal Mickey and started walking by all the tables holding Mickey up and saying that he SMELLED!!!! It was hilarious!:ROFLOL:

Phonedave

I was eating solo at Garden Grill once and Chip was paying a LOT of attention to me. So much so it was almost spooky. Chip came by three times, kept poking me in the arm, looked over all my food, it was actually kind of strange.

-dave

Mansion Butler

But please, if you're a CM, keep this in mind. People without children at character dining like to have attention too. We picked the location to see you guys as much as the parents of the children whose eyes light up. And I do still enjoy taking pictures of characters at 22...

That's never been my or my DGF's experience at character dining. It's always been a character greeter coming by to make sure all the characters have stopped by.

snowpony

The best advice I can give if you want character attention (whether it be during dining or otherwise) is to let your "inner kid" out!

Our first time going to WDW in 2008, my boyfriend was 30 at the time and upon arriving at WDW he instantly became 6 again! He's a completely loud fellow, so whenever he would see a character coming he would get extremely loud and excited. All the characters seemed to love interacting with him, and I really think a lot of it had to do with the big smile on his face and his excitement. I'd say he was even MORE excited than the kids there! If anything I think the cast members inside the costumes have more fun interacting with adults! With kids, they kind of expect them to oooh and ahhh and get excited, but I think it's flattering and special to the cast members when they see that kind of reaction from an adult.

Thanks for all the advice. I look forward to making reservations for Cinderella's Royal Table and taking your advice. :D I'm a bit shy, but it's odd that my boyfriend wasn't able to get the characters' attention.

Chrononymous

My mom and I go to Character breakfasts a lot...and I do admit, occasionally we go just for the food! :p

But even when we don't really want to interact and just...you know...eat and run...we still have always had the characters come and greet us for a few minutes anyway.

I think it's because I tend to dress a little... oddly ...and so it naturally draws attention. You might want to try wearing a funky hat, a colorful scarf or something that says "hey, we like to have fun too!"

And yes...also getting the attention of a CM wait staff and letting them know that you would love some interaction doesn't hurt!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom