1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Studios vs. IOA

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by rnese, Apr 22, 2017.

1. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

I've listed 2 of the 3 in my highlights. The rest of the park feels off to me at the moment, despite how awesome those are. It's similar to how I feel about Disney Studios. There's some highlights that will always keep me coming back, but I find myself using them to justify the visit rather than feeling like the overall place warrants my attention, like Islands, AK and MK make me feel.

2. Bairstow

Bairstow Well-Known Member

Ah, c'mon; Disney's Hollywood Studios is WAY worse right now!

I would agree that Universal Studios is much less than the sum of its parts, but a lot of the parts are fantastic. I would add Men in Black to your list, as well as the mind-blowingly large Hogwarts train station on the studios side.

JoeCamel likes this.
  3. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

Unpopular opinion but I don't rate MIB as high as many do. I appreciate what you say about DHS, it has issues I won't even pretend it doesn't, and probably less main highlights than Uni. But I feel like I already have those lower expectations for DHS...it's kind of troubled, but it knows it is. Universal Orlando is riding a huge and deserved wave of success but when I step back to assess what days I'm looking forward too most on my upcoming trip, universal studios is at the bottom of my list & I don't put it down to being a Disney fan boy because Islands is probably my favourite park in the world.

I enjoy Minions, Transformers, Terminator, Gringotts and Simpsons on their own merit. But when you throw them all into the pot together the day, as an experience, doesn't excite me. Am I just being weird? Haha

4. rnese

rnese Well-Known Member Original Poster

We decided on IOA for one day. I figure as a surprise the boys will enjoy riding Forbidden Journey, Spiderman, Kong, Jurassic Park. We plan on doing Disney next year so maybe we'll tack on 2 days with park to park at the end.
    Thanks everyone!

BubbaQuest likes this.
  5. captainkidd

captainkidd Well-Known Member

IOA would be my choice. The rides and themed lands are awesome. The park doesn't really have any weak points (aside from the stunt show). Also, Port of Entry, in my opinion, is a close 2nd only to Main Street in terms of an entry way to any park.

Universal is awesome too though. Springfield is a hoot, and Diagon Alley is amazing even if you're not a Potter fan. Where the park falls short is the areas between HRRR and Diagon Alley. It lacks any real immersion.