Studios vs. IOA

Bairstow

I was thinking about this earlier and didn't think it warranted its own thread and it's kind of relevant here...

I think Universal Studios is currently the worst theme park in Orlando, which is a massive turn around for me to how I viewed it a few years back. I still think Islands of Adventure is arguably the best, depending on my mood on the day. The balance of the park feels fundamentally wrong at the moment, the left side is too simulator heavy, even though I enjoy most of them individually...and there's nothing of interest on the whole right hand side other than, more simulator/ 3D rides. I've since found out today ET will be closed on my trip too, to add to Disaster and Twister which have closed since my last visit. I'm struggling to get excited for the park, despite it being home to 3 of my top 25 rides in The Mummy, Transformers and Gringotts.

Someone help me here...I really want to refind my love for this park.

Ah, c'mon; Disney's Hollywood Studios is WAY worse right now!

I would agree that Universal Studios is much less than the sum of its parts, but a lot of the parts are fantastic. I would add Men in Black to your list, as well as the mind-blowingly large Hogwarts train station on the studios side.

UpAllNight

Ah, c'mon; Disney's Hollywood Studios is WAY worse right now!

I would agree that Universal Studios is much less than the sum of its parts, but a lot of the parts are fantastic. I would add Men in Black to your list, as well as the mind-blowingly large Hogwarts train station on the studios side.

Unpopular opinion but I don't rate MIB as high as many do. I appreciate what you say about DHS, it has issues I won't even pretend it doesn't, and probably less main highlights than Uni. But I feel like I already have those lower expectations for DHS...it's kind of troubled, but it knows it is. Universal Orlando is riding a huge and deserved wave of success but when I step back to assess what days I'm looking forward too most on my upcoming trip, universal studios is at the bottom of my list & I don't put it down to being a Disney fan boy because Islands is probably my favourite park in the world.

I enjoy Minions, Transformers, Terminator, Gringotts and Simpsons on their own merit. But when you throw them all into the pot together the day, as an experience, doesn't excite me. Am I just being weird? Haha

rnese

Original Poster
We decided on IOA for one day. I figure as a surprise the boys will enjoy riding Forbidden Journey, Spiderman, Kong, Jurassic Park. We plan on doing Disney next year so maybe we'll tack on 2 days with park to park at the end.
Thanks everyone!

captainkidd

IOA would be my choice. The rides and themed lands are awesome. The park doesn't really have any weak points (aside from the stunt show). Also, Port of Entry, in my opinion, is a close 2nd only to Main Street in terms of an entry way to any park.

Universal is awesome too though. Springfield is a hoot, and Diagon Alley is amazing even if you're not a Potter fan. Where the park falls short is the areas between HRRR and Diagon Alley. It lacks any real immersion.

Exomonia

Islands of Adventure (IOA) is certainly, in my opinion, the best choice if you only wish to do one park on one day. However, depending on the time of year you are going - if you are going off-peak (as we have done) it is extremely possible to do the two parks in one day. It's exhausting, but one of the most exhilarating days you could have. Presuming hours of 9am-8pm (averaged over both parks), we have started our day in USF (Universal Studios) and gone straight to Escape from Gringotts at rope-drop. After this, head to Despicable Me, then Rip Ride, Race Through New York, Transformers, Mummy, ET, Simpsons, and then Men in Black. Depending on hunger levels, a quick service lunch in Springfield or Leaky Cauldron will suffice.

At this point, it should be around 1:00ish. Head towards the Hogwarts Express, and experience that ride the way the characters first do (Diagon to Hogsmeade). Once you get off, skip Hogsmeade for now and continue on towards Kong. Chances are, depending on crowd levels, Kong will be quite busy at this point, but if it isn't ride this now. Otherwise, continue on to Jurassic Park and Toon Lagoon. After them, it is onto Spiderman and Hulk (skip Dr Doom), before going across to Cat in the Hat. Then, head up to Harry Potter (Hogsmeade) and ride Forbidden Journey. Do the coasters here if you want to, then Kong if you haven't already, and if time allows. At this point - it will be close to 8:00pm! Once the park closes, have a late dinner and call it a day.

Whilst this itinerary has worked many times for myself (minus Fallon - and then Kong, which has only been trialled once in this) it will only work during off season, most likely. It is ambitious, tiring... but an absolute blast. If you go during a less crowded time - I would recommend attempting something like this. Otherwise, stick with IOA. Whatever you choose - you will have a ball :)

CJR

I love both parks, but if I had to choose one for a one-day trip, I would pick the studios.

IOA is hands down the better "theme park", BUT the studios has the higher ride count and more to do in the rain. At IOA, if it's a rainy day, you have Spiderman, Cat in the Hat, Kong, and Forbidden Journey. Of course, you can still enjoy most rides in the rain, I just prefer to be dry myself (well, as dry as possible). I also like to do as much as possible and there's just more to do at the studios, albeit the quality isn't the same in some cases.

I hope Universal will continue to invest in IOA though, because if it got just a couple more indoor rides, it would be perfect. They might be going that direction too if DC goes the direction it looks like.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
I would do Islands if you had only one Park to pick.
BUT I would Park hop if only to have lunch with the Simpsons! For our tour group, that has been a complete game changer for touring Universal Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom