Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

Stophie

I've been more of a lurker and this is my first time posting in this section of the board, so I want to say hello!

In regards to the news of the Backlot Tour closing, I can't say that I'll miss it all too much. If anything, this move will be putting it out of its misery. We bypassed this one for a couple years in a row now because it simply wasn't worth it anymore. Even Catastrophe Canyon seemed to lose some of its luster. But this move also brings me hope - aside from the previous Frozen additions, what else will they be putting in its place? Seems too early for the Star Wars expansion, but it does give one hope that things are finally starting to go in the right direction in terms of expansion and giving DHS some much needed love. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Beholder

I've been more of a lurker and this is my first time posting in this section of the board, so I want to say hello!

In regards to the news of the Backlot Tour closing, I can't say that I'll miss it all too much. If anything, this move will be putting it out of its misery. We bypassed this one for a couple years in a row now because it simply wasn't worth it anymore. Even Catastrophe Canyon seemed to lose some of its luster. But this move also brings me hope - aside from the previous Frozen additions, what else will they be putting in its place? Seems too early for the Star Wars expansion, but it does give one hope that things are finally starting to go in the right direction in terms of expansion and giving DHS some much needed love. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Welcome to this "sector"! It's fun over here, even if it gets a bit heated from time to time.

I think more than a few of us have our fingers crossed in the hope that this might actually signal the beginning of good things to come.

The success of CarsLand and the Boy Wizard deserve some, if not all the credit, if good things ARE coming. We'll see.

DManRightHere

If Disney opens something big in DHS the year after Avatar that would be quite a few things coming in succession: Frozen Maelstrom in 2016 :depressed:, Avatar 2017, this in 2018 then Star Wars in 2019 or 2020. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?! :eek:
It could happen, but have to be in secrecy kind of like universal. Unless universals method was a bust.

champdisney

Close down that crappy Pizza Planet and make a proper one accurate to the movie and I'll be a happy camper. Oh and have some good pizza this time :)
That would be a perfect fit for a Pixar expansion! It will be the landmark restaurant for Pixar land to rival Lucaslands' Cantina themed restaurant. I know it's a tad bit too much of Toy Story but it makes so much sense! Imagine stepping inside a real Pizza Planet accurate to the movie. We've seen the well work they've done replicating Beast's Castle for Be Our Guest, I would love to see the light of that happening.

A new menu with all new authentic pizza, a massive arcade duplicating the games we saw in the movie, all Toy Story characters available for interactive meet-and-greets, and a restaurant side shop on the way out. There you have it, the real Pizza Planet and an attraction a whole lot better than DisneyQuest too!

We all know the food at DHS is expensive yet cheap in taste. On my last trip a month ago, the family and I decided to retry Pizza Planet for dinner, I personally wasn't in the mood for cheap pizza so I settled for a salad. And I couldn't get over the fact on how boring it is in there! The LGM's hanging from the ceiling are extremely dusty and the place feels old and rundown.

Pizza Planet has to feel vibrant with high energy and excitement. Imagine the nostalgia feels stepping right into your childhood. I've had this dream of Disney creating this since I was a child, I was always disappointed with this current filth that I have the displeasure of accepting as Pizza Planet. Talk about a hard smack - back to reality.

Last edited:

raymusiccity

That would be a perfect fit for a Pixar expansion! It will be the landmark restaurant for Pixar land to rival Lucaslands' Cantina themed restaurant. I know it's a tad bit too much of Toy Story but it makes so much sense! Imagine stepping inside a real Pizza Planet accurate to the movie. We've seen the well work they've done replicating Beast's Castle for Be Our Guest, I would love to see the light of that happening.

A new menu with all new authentic pizza, a massive arcade duplicating the games we saw in the movie, all Toy Story characters available for interactive meet-and-greets, and a restaurant side shop on the way out. There you have it, the real Pizza Planet and an attraction a whole lot better than DisneyQuest too!

We all know the food at DHS is expensive yet cheap in taste. On my last trip a month ago, the family and I decided to retry Pizza Planet for dinner, I personally wasn't in the mood for cheap pizza so I settled for a salad. And I couldn't get over the fact on how boring it is in there! The LGM's hanging from the ceiling are extremely dusty and the place feels old and rundown.

Pizza Planet has to feel vibrant with high energy and excitement. Imagine the nostalgia feels stepping right into your childhood. I've had this dream of Disney creating this since I was a child, I was always disappointed with this current filth that I have the displeasure of accepting as Pizza Planet. Talk about a hard smack - back to reality.

Next time you should really try 'Mama Melrose'. We ate there for the first time last month. It's a hidden gem that feels like an authentic, family owned, Italian restaurant. We ate there on a recommendation to try their steak, with a side of Mac & 5 Cheeses. We split an appetizer, salad and entree, and left feeling well fed! Great service and quality food for a reasonable price.

Scuttle

I'm honestly so excited about this move. I understand that it might be a place of nostalgia for those who remember what the old Studio Tour used to be like. (I do not, when did things start changing for the worse?)

The amount of space this opens up is tremendous and I really think this is the first step towards a (Don't laugh too hard) DCA-like transformation for the studios. Take out American Idol/Sounds Dangerous and Indiana Jones to commit to a truly Potter-threatening Star Wars area. Then take the whole back area of the park, from the old Hunchback Theater to LMA to the Backlot Tour and make two Pixar themed areas (with room for another in the future).

Is this all likely? Probably not with the way Disney is run now. But this is just the type of move Disney needs to make if it wants to keep pace with its neighbors down the road.
Apparently Indy isn't going anywhere.

YodaMan

Indy still regularly packs the house even on slow days so aside from labor or maintenance cost there is no need to replace it. Additionally the facility is used often for private events which are highly profitable so I agree it's not going away any time soon.

When there are so many "broken" things that need fixing in Studios, I would hope that Indy remains untouched for the foreseeable future. Still a great show that's crowded and holds a large number of guests every day. And as one of the only representations of Indy in the parks, I don't see why Disney would want to get rid of it when they just acquired Lucasfilm and probably hope to profit more from Indy in the future. Especially with its proximity to Star Tours, they can keep the show and call it a "Lucasfilm" section of the park, but then remove it later on down the road if they need even more space besides American Idol and Sounds Dangerous.

NiarrNDisney

When there are so many "broken" things that need fixing in Studios, I would hope that Indy remains untouched for the foreseeable future. Still a great show that's crowded and holds a large number of guests every day. And as one of the only representations of Indy in the parks, I don't see why Disney would want to get rid of it when they just acquired Lucasfilm and probably hope to profit more from Indy in the future. Especially with its proximity to Star Tours, they can keep the show and call it a "Lucasfilm" section of the park, but then remove it later on down the road if they need even more space besides American Idol and Sounds Dangerous.

I may be alone on this but I wish TDO would add Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril/Raging Spirits coaster near the stunt show filling out the area and giving it another attraction!

Last edited:

kap91

If Disney opens something big in DHS the year after Avatar that would be quite a few things coming in succession: Frozen Maelstrom in 2016 :depressed:, Avatar 2017, this in 2018 then Star Wars in 2019 or 2020. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?! :eek:

What I've been predicting for years? Infrastructure first, expansion second? Could just be a false alarm I suppose though.

Jeff456

This has come as a bit of a shock so quickly.. My first day won't be until 28th so won't be able to ride this again which is a shame but my main concern is the effect on queue times in the rest of the park? Anyone have any idea what the capacities are and the knock on effect there might be on lines at other attractions?

roj2323

This has come as a bit of a shock so quickly.. My first day won't be until 28th so won't be able to ride this again which is a shame but my main concern is the effect on queue times in the rest of the park? Anyone have any idea what the capacities are and the knock on effect there might be on lines at other attractions?
Back lot tour's capacity per hour is enormous but it rarely has a line. I would venture to guess maybe 200-500 per hour currently. I don't think the closing will have a noticeable affect really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom