Strollers, is theft a concern?

PMC0849

We are debating whether to bring our own stroller or renting one. I have only heard of one instance of stroller theft and it has my wife concerned. That being said I would prefer not to rent one of the hard plastic ones from Disney.

Weather_Lady

I wouldn't worry about it unless your stroller is super-expensive, in which case I would leave it at home and bring/rent an inexpensive one instead. Stroller theft at Disney World is very rare, but it does occasionally happen. Why spend part of your vacation worrying about having valuable items stolen (or, as we often hear from those flying with strollers - broken in transit)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not really. There was an isolated case where a woman was caught stealing and reselling high end strollers.

Just use common sense and don't leave valuables in an unintended stroller and you should be fine.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

If it would ruin your day to come out and have it gone, don't bring it. Maybe rent from an offsite company?

It does happen. I have a friend who had hers stolen along with everything in it. The diaper bag was found ditched later but not the stroller.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As mentioned above, there was a high profile case of organized theft. Typically though, you are likely to be OK, but I have heard numerous reports of strollers going missing. Either accidentally, or theft.

An option is to being a low priced folding stroller. That way you won't be hit with rental fees and if it disappears, no great loss.

I would probably not bring anything that you aren't prepared to lose.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

Depending on the child's age it's nice to have your own or rent from offsite especially walking from park to transportation and to the room. Watching a parent carring a sleeping kid from the resort bus stop to the room at the end of a long day makes my arms hurt.

Upvote 0

DisAl

I would imagine that some strollers get picked up by accident also. When you see what looks like two hundred parked at the carousel it is easy to see how that might happen. Especially since cast members re-consolidate them to pack in more strollers as some of them are picked up.
We always put some plastic surveyors flagging tape on the stroller handles. Last trip we used one color on one handle and another color on the other. It made it easy to spot ours every time. If it is a cheap "trip stroller" as suggested by another poster I would write your name on it with a permanent marker too.
We also have to take a wheelchair for one family member. In addition to the flagging tape on the handles I tape a sign with our name printed on colored paper to both sides of the chair to help prevent it being confused with another wheelchair. I thought about using a bicycle lock on the wheelchair wheel but then realized that would make it very difficult for the cast members to move it as needed.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

We always brought ours, especially for the reasons @NeedMoreMickey states. We loved using our little umbrella strollers with hoods in the airports, the resorts & the parks. We never had a problem. One time we even left them in the old ToonTown Fair area, boarded the train and took a ride around the park. The strollers were still there when we returned. We started leaving them more and more when we felt the kids were able to start walking more and more.
One tip - buy a real stroller rain cover. Don't use a poncho over your child. Stroller covers are clear and have mesh vents so your kid can see and breathe. Liquid sunshine happens at WDW. It would be nice if your child sees the parks and enjoys the parks as you walk around - not the inside of a poncho.
If you're still afraid of theft, I once read that someone tied something that looked like a dirty diaper on theirs. I guess it worked. I never cared to find out.

Upvote 0

Rsj88

We always take our stroller. It has never been a problem. I bring a cheap stroller that will fold easily but still leans back. We also bring a backpack that we take with us when we park the stroller. The backpack will have our valuables in it and we leave the rest of our stuff piled in the stroller. Be aware cast members move them around. We usually buy a balloon the first day and tie it to the stroller to easily find it the rest of the trip (except animal kindly day).

Upvote 0

Tyaloo

We always rent a stroller (off site - Kingdom Strollers - but there are several to choose from) and you can pay an extra fee for theft & damage insurance - it's not much, maybe 15 dollars? It also comes with a really good rain cover as well as a small soft cooler. What I really like is that they deliver them to your resort, and pick them up there too (when it's time to check out).

The only thing that's ever happened to us is that last year, our refillable popcorn bucket was stolen off the stroller handle - but that's the risk we took by leaving it there. We never leave anything of real value in it (cameras, wallets,etc).

Oh and another time, a squirrel got into the bottom area of the stroller and was licking out the peanut butter syrup from our empty Mickey's Kitchen Sink bowl - lol - it was hilarious - the little guy had peanut butter in his whiskers! My daughter named him Peanut Butter and now - EVERY squirrel we see is Peanut Butter. That was off topic, but I'm still laughing about it.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We always rent a stroller (off site - Kingdom Strollers - but there are several to choose from) and you can pay an extra fee for theft & damage insurance - it's not much, maybe 15 dollars? It also comes with a really good rain cover as well as a small soft cooler. What I really like is that they deliver them to your resort, and pick them up there too (when it's time to check out).

The only thing that's ever happened to us is that last year, our refillable popcorn bucket was stolen off the stroller handle - but that's the risk we took by leaving it there. We never leave anything of real value in it (cameras, wallets,etc).

Oh and another time, a squirrel got into the bottom area of the stroller and was licking out the peanut butter syrup from our empty Mickey's Kitchen Sink bowl - lol - it was hilarious - the little guy had peanut butter in his whiskers! My daughter named him Peanut Butter and now - EVERY squirrel we see is Peanut Butter. That was off topic, but I'm still laughing about it.

Did you get a picture? I'd love to see it. The Disney squirrels and rabbits are quite entertaining.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
When I traveled with my daughter when she was under the age of 2, I stopped at Toys R Us and purchased a nice umbrella stopper with a top. Easy to use, easy to transport and light weight. I recommend that you, like others have posted, mark your personal stroller with tape or ribbons or something to easily identify it in that sea of strollers at a ride. Most rental strollers have the name if the family renting them on the back, from what I've observed.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I'd be less concerned with stroller theft and more concerned with stroller breakage due to airline. Even if they don't purposely drop it down from the boarding bridge rea (which I've seen) stuff in the cargo hold shifts around mid flight. Not a huge deal for a 30 umbrella stroller that could be replaced on property if needed, but damage to a BOB or other larger stroller could be pain, and necessitate rental anyways. If you don't want the Disney ones (and I don't blame you) there are several approved stroller rental companies in the area, and a bunch of un-approved ones as well. Admittedly, can still end up costing you $80 or so for a week (if you get the insurance most offer) but I find the piece of mind by not risking damaging our stroller to be worth the cost.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
I actually have it on video!! Here's the youtube video if you are interested - we discovered it around the 5:04 mark - we caught the lil guy on video and you can see how he shredded the bag that the kitchen sink was in - hilarious!!

That's a great video! What a persistent little guy he was.

We spotted two rabbits at our resort one evening doing what rabbits do. Why they didn't just get a room, I don't know - they're at a Disney resort! ;) Took a picture, but can't attach it - this is s family site, after all! :joyfull:

Btw, your daughter is so cute!

Upvote 0

Tyaloo

That's a great video! What a persistent little guy he was.

We spotted two rabbits at our resort one evening doing what rabbits do. Why they didn't just get a room, I don't know - they're at a Disney resort! ;) Took a picture, but can't attach it - this is s family site, after all! :joyfull:

Btw, your daughter is so cute!
LOL!!! Perhaps they were on their disneymoon LOL

aw thanks :) I think she's cute too! and thanks for watching the video! It's my way of keeping the disney fun alive when I'm not there

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
LOL!!! Perhaps they were on their disneymoon LOL

aw thanks :) I think she's cute too! and thanks for watching the video! It's my way of keeping the disney fun alive when I'm not there

:hilarious:

Imagine that first visit with all those kids!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom