Stroller rental options

QueenOfHearts83

Original Poster
I am planning our first trip to Disney World. Previous we planned one day and then on to a Disney cruise but we cant do Disney in one day so we decided to make it a Disney World Vacation all together. I have a 4 year old and an 8 year old. I am worried about after 4 or so hours them being to tired to walk. My 4 year old weighs 44 lbs. and my 8 year old weighs 57 lbs. I've seen that the strollers for rent from Disney look like they can hold the both of them. They don't look to comfortable though. Does anyone know of any other company that rents stroller to use at the parks that accommodates over 100 lbs. and are more comfortable?

Munchkin04

We have used Magic Strollers before. They have doubles but I am not sure if they will accommodate over 100lbs. Their web site has the specs on the different models. Service (delivery and pickup) was terrific.

BrerWayne

I have a question about Kingdom Strollers. My family is going in Feb. Our flight out of Orlando leaves at 7am which means DME will probably want to pick us us for 430 or so. We are staying at POR. Is there a place where I can leave the stroller at POR for pickup since we will be out of our room so early? Thanks.

RememberWhen

When we rented strollers we picked up and dropped off at the bell desk. That was at the boardwalk, but I would assume it's the same at all the resorts.

I have a question about Kingdom Strollers. My family is going in Feb. Our flight out of Orlando leaves at 7am which means DME will probably want to pick us us for 430 or so. We are staying at POR. Is there a place where I can leave the stroller at POR for pickup since we will be out of our room so early? Thanks.

BigHero4

Do you still have strollers at home from when your kids were younger? I spent quite a few hours researching where to rent a stroller once we got to WDW, but it made so much more sense to bring our own stroller. We only had one child (4 years old) at the time, but it came in very handy not only at the parks and DTD but also through the airport.

I've also seen others that bought a stroller at Walmart specifically for this trip because in the long run it saves them money. Your kids can then take turns riding and walking.

BrerWayne

Do you still have strollers at home from when your kids were younger? I spent quite a few hours researching where to rent a stroller once we got to WDW, but it made so much more sense to bring our own stroller. We only had one child (4 years old) at the time, but it came in very handy not only at the parks and DTD but also through the airport.

I've also seen others that bought a stroller at Walmart specifically for this trip because in the long run it saves them money. Your kids can then take turns riding and walking.
I have an umbrella stroller that I am going to bring with us for the airports. I was thinking of renting a double because the kids are 16 month ( has only been walking for a few weeks) and a 4 year old. I am worried about the four year old's stamina. Also, my fast pass for her to meet Anna and Elsa is for 10pm (it is all that I could get) so there is a high probability that they will both need to be in the stroller at the same time.

John C. Shepherd

Strollers that are for rent work great, i rented them for my 3 and 4 year old. They loved having it, when it got crowded or they were tired they hopped in for a ride. Plus it was great for holding things.

LaceyLC

Is there anywhere in the parks to store a small stroller, like an umbrella stroller? We have a 1 year old who will need a stroller (we have a city mini...don't think I'll rent one that is exactly like ours), but we also have a 3 year old that will probably need a stroller sometimes, but not all the time. I don't want to carry a stroller we don't need around, but I'm not sure what to do when she does need one. We have a double stroller here that I love, but it is a sit and stand and would be a complete pain to get through airports and the buses there.

BrerWayne

To be honest with you, we went in 2012 when my daughter was 2. The Magic Kingdom was pretty crowded. At times I got kinda frustrated navigating when my daughter insisted on walking. Making things worse, was alot of construction was going in in Fantasy Land (7DMT). I just picked a spot in Fantasy Land and parked the stroller in the designated area. I left it there for a couple of hours and it was there when I came back. Not sure if you would feel comfortable with that. Ours was just a cheap umbrella stroller so I really didnt care if something happened to it.

We rented a double city mini from Orlando Strollers and it was great. I know a lot of people use umbrella strollers, but I think you use the stroller enough at disney to where you want one that is a little easier to push around. I consider umbrella strollers ok for when you MIGHT need a stroller for a short time. At disney, I think it's inevitable.

jaklgreen

I would take a small umbrella stroller for the little one. The 8yo is too big for most strollers. Being without a big double stroller is great. We just took more breaks and sat down on benches. Going slower and taking more breaks makes for a much more relaxed and happy vacation. The kids get so excited that some times it is hard to get them to stop and even eat. So we would "bribe" them with snacks to get them to sit for a while. I think buying a small stroller is cheaper then renting one. Plus by the time my kids were 8yo they would not be caught dead in a stroller because "they are for babies"(their words).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What's the advantage of renting a stroller versus just bringing your own? We're taking our daughter for the first time in April and it never occurred to us that we wouldn't just bring our own stroller, gate check it at the airport, and have the one we know and are comfortable with. I'm sure it's a really obvious answer and I'm just missing something.

What's the advantage of renting a stroller versus just bringing your own? We're taking our daughter for the first time in April and it never occurred to us that we wouldn't just bring our own stroller, gate check it at the airport, and have the one we know and are comfortable with. I'm sure it's a really obvious answer and I'm just missing something.

We have 3 kids (3 year old twins and a 6.5 year old) and none of them use strollers at home. We really had nothing that would work for my 6.5 year old since they are way too small and our double stroller that we used for the twins was also a little tight for both of them.

We rented the double-city mini GT when we were there and it was awesome. It is WAY better than our one at home because it has more seating, a better cover, handles much better, and (something I didn't think about) higher handles for pushing so you don't need to bend over.

When we took our oldest when he was an only child, we brought our stroller. This time with just being my wife and 3 kids, we didn't want to handle any more luggage. We already had 5 checked bags and carry-ons and I didn't want to lug a large stroller. The double stroller cost us around $80 and I think it was well worth it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We have 3 kids (3 year old twins and a 6.5 year old) and none of them use strollers at home. We really had nothing that would work for my 6.5 year old since they are way too small and our double stroller that we used for the twins was also a little tight for both of them.

We rented the double-city mini GT when we were there and it was awesome. It is WAY better than our one at home because it has more seating, a better cover, handles much better, and (something I didn't think about) higher handles for pushing so you don't need to bend over.

When we took our oldest when he was an only child, we brought our stroller. This time with just being my wife and 3 kids, we didn't want to handle any more luggage. We already had 5 checked bags and carry-ons and I didn't want to lug a large stroller. The double stroller cost us around $80 and I think it was well worth it.
Multiple kids, makes perfect sense. We have both a lightweight stroller and heavier one that goes with our car seat, and I think the lightweight will work for us with just the one baby.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...17431732:BRUS&eESource=CAPLA_DF:28881966:TRUS

For the cost to rent, couldn't it be cheaper in a lot of cases to buy one when you get there and then just leave / donate it if you don't want to lug it through the airport?

PhilharMagician

IMHO a healthy 8 Y/O should be able to manage a day in the parks without a stroller. The last time we had a stroller for our daughter was for age 5 and we had it for just 3 out of the 10 days we were there and used it towards the end of our trip as she got more worn down. We were typically in the parks from rope drop till closing on most days with a Tables service dinner around 5:00PM for a break and typically a counter service lunch about 11:00 AM. Also in the parks there are always theater type shows like Hall of Presidents, Tough to be Bug, American Adventure or One Mans Dream that are inside and air conditioned where you can get a short break for everyone. These little stops will drastically extend the little ones day. I will say that at the end of the night our daughter was pretty tired and crashed as soon as her head hit the pillow.

Again every child is different and will react differently. I would say bring an umbrella stroller for the 4 Y/O and let the 8 Y/O walk. If it becomes too much for the 8 Y/O then you can rent a stroller. I always used Disney strollers so we did not have to haul anything back to the room on a crowded bus in the evenings and it wasn't a problem for us.

Multiple kids, makes perfect sense. We have both a lightweight stroller and heavier one that goes with our car seat, and I think the lightweight will work for us with just the one baby.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...17431732:BRUS&eESource=CAPLA_DF:28881966:TRUS

For the cost to rent, couldn't it be cheaper in a lot of cases to buy one when you get there and then just leave / donate it if you don't want to lug it through the airport?

Yeah, a lot of people buy one and then just leave it there when they are done. I personally would not want to push a kid around for the trip in a cheaper umbrella stroller. There were plenty of people doing it, but I don't want to be leaning over an umbrella stroller that entire time.

Again, I think it's one of those things that you don't fully appreciate until you are in the parks. I'd say it would be the equivalent of wearing flip flops vs. running shoes. Are flip flops comfortable? Yes. Could I walk around the mall with them? Yes. Would I wear them at Disney? No way.

But to each their own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom