Streets of America Development Watch (no longer DEMO)

roj2323

Can you elaborate more?

Each side will act as a view block to the other. Essentially stick a 60ft building in front of somebody and not allow them to step far enough away to see over the building and it's essentially a view block. Do that to both sides and you will not be able to see one side's theming from the other.

Next Big Thing

There will a wall by the restrooms across what is now the pathway into the MV area.

The entrance to the MV area will be where the old side entrance was in SoA.
I know it's a lot to ask, but if you have some time could you throw together a quick sketch like the TSL and SWL one to help visualize this? If you can't I understand. As always, appreciate your input. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know it's a lot to ask, but if you have some time could you throw together a quick sketch like the TSL and SWL one to help visualize this? If you can't I understand. As always, appreciate your input. :)
Better to describe this one.

As I understand it the walkway from Star Tours to SWL will be a wide , almost straight line through what used to be the skyscraper flat towers and along what was NYS. Kind of a T junction opposite where the speeder bike photo op is. There will be a themed stone / brick wall across what is the current pathway adjacent to the existing backstage access gates between Tatooine Traders and the bathrooms. This plus landscaping should minimise sightlines from ST to MV.

There will be a similar looking wall along the line of what used to be the old NYS facade, parallel to the new main walkway. This wall will have a large opening, themed with gateposts and possibly lamp posts, creating a wide, almost regal, entrance to the MV courtyard off the new walkway.

This new main walkway will have landscaping along the MV side, much like the new Main St overflow corridor. The other side will have the retained NYS facade. This walkway will lead to an Art Deco style themed tunnel portal that leads through the SWL berm and into the new land. Under the berm the walkway will be S shaped to prevent seeing the new land from outside the tunnel and should create a "wow" moment when you enter the new land due to the orientation of the exit and the view as you exit the tunnel and turn the corner.

Last edited:

roj2323

Better to describe this one.

As I understand it the walkway from Star Tours to SWL will be a wide , almost straight line through what used to be the skyscraper flat towers and along what was NYS. Kind of a T junction opposite where the speeder bike photo op is. There will be a themed stone / brick wall across what is the current pathway adjacent to the existing backstage access gates between Tatooine Traders and the bathrooms. This plus landscaping should minimise sightlines from ST to MV.

There will be a similar looking wall along the line of what used to be the old NYS facade, parallel to the new main walkway. This wall will have a large opening, themed with gateposts and possibly lamp posts, creating a wide, almost regal, entrance to the MV courtyard off the new walkway.

This new main walkway will have landscaping along the MV side, much like the new Main St overflow corridor. The other side will have the retained NYS facade. This walkway will lead to an Art Deco style themed tunnel portal that leads through the SWL berm and into the new land. Under the berm the walkway will be S shaped to prevent seeing the new land from outside the tunnel and should create a "wow" moment when you enter the new land due to the orientation of the exit and the view as you exit the tunnel and turn the corner.

Something like this?:

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 9.44.26 PM.png

WolfmanJames

In the Parks
Yes
I've always wondered how the transition to SWL would be pulled off so it's interesting to hear all this. I'm just hopeful that it'll look good when it's built.

Last edited:

britain

Art deco themed portal? After passing through, will there be a giant sun singing "Smile, Darn' Ya Smile!" ?

Does DHS's Star Wars Land have 3 entrances like DL's does? Meaning, does this entrance with the art deco portal correspond with DL's Frontierland Jumping Fish Pond Entrance or the Critter Country entrance? (I'm pretty sure the Fantasyland side of the Big Thunder Trail Entrance corresponds more closely to the Toy Story entrance).

Magic Feather

Art deco themed portal? After passing through, will there be a giant sun singing "Smile, Darn' Ya Smile!" ?

Does DHS's Star Wars Land have 3 entrances like DL's does? Meaning, does this entrance with the art deco portal correspond with DL's Frontierland Jumping Fish Pond Entrance or the Critter Country entrance? (I'm pretty sure the Fantasyland side of the Big Thunder Trail Entrance corresponds more closely to the Toy Story entrance).
SOA is equivalent of CC entrance, and TSL is equivalent of Big Thunder Trail. Expect the flow through each land to be directly opposite Falcon>Alcatraz at DL and Alcatraz>Falcon at HS.

jaxonp

So let me get this correct. They are going to build a wall around Muppet Courtyard, similar to what was there that they tore down or am I seeing the photo that was posted above incorrectly? Like a smaller version of SOA???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom