Strange Magic

champdisney

Original Poster
rr8hgw.jpg

Lucasfilm Animation's first full length non Star Wars related animated feature.

http://screenrant.com/strange-magic-lucasfilm-movie-images-release-date/

The movie is about 2 months away without a trailer in sight. What are your thoughts thus far?​

Sped2424

Looks...interesting. Seems like the dark crystal if it was animated and put into a musical. But the designs harken back to the 80's fantasy ones in my book if that creepy looking thing in the background is any sort of indication. Not a fan of the look so far and even less so that it's a jukebox musical animated film. That usually never fares well.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Looks...interesting. Seems like the dark crystal if it was animated and put into a musical. But the designs harken back to the 80's fantasy ones in my book if that creepy looking thing in the background is any sort of indication. Not a fan of the look so far and even less so that it's a jukebox musical animated film. That usually never fares well.
^^this.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Strange Magic comes from a story conceived by George Lucas and inspired by A Midsummer Night’s Dream, though there’s a good chance audiences haven’t seen a tale inspired by Shakespeare’s play that incorporates Elvis’ “Can’t Help Falling in Love” and Kelly Clarkson’s “Stronger.”

The film’s creative team includes director Gary Rydstrom, who also co-wrote the script with David Berenbaum of Elf and Irene Mecchi of The Lion King and Brave. The cast of musically inclined stars will feature , Kristin Chenoweth, Evan Rachel Wood, and Maya Rudolph. That cast will be tasked with singing musical hits from the last several decades throughout the film, including Heart’s “Straight On” and Deep Purple’s “Mistreated.”

"[Lucas] really wanted to make a beautiful fairy tale with goblins and elves, and do it in a way that only this company can do," Gary Rydstrom, a Lucasfilm employee since 1983 and the director of Strange Magic, tells Yahoo Movies. “He had been working on it for a long time.”

The plot, inspired by A Midsummer Night's Dream, is split between two worlds: a kingdom that is home to “fairies, elves, imps and all sorts of creatures,” and then a dark forest, which houses “scary goblins and other nasty creatures.” The residents never venture out of their respective worlds…until forbidden love potions, made from flowers that grow along the border, are let loose.

At that point, “all heck breaks loose,” Rydstrom says, especially when the two main characters (voiced by Alan and Evan Rachel Wood) meet. The director says Lucas often emphasized that the story should be about “finding beauty in strange places.”

6707173c1fc54787ae97b378d796a22a748a602c.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Strange Magic comes from a story conceived by George Lucas and inspired by A Midsummer Night’s Dream, though there’s a good chance audiences haven’t seen a tale inspired by Shakespeare’s play that incorporates Elvis’ “Can’t Help Falling in Love” and Kelly Clarkson’s “Stronger.”

The film’s creative team includes director Gary Rydstrom, who also co-wrote the script with David Berenbaum of Elf and Irene Mecchi of The Lion King and Brave. The cast of musically inclined stars will feature *******, Kristin Chenoweth, Evan Rachel Wood, and Maya Rudolph. That cast will be tasked with singing musical hits from the last several decades throughout the film, including Heart’s “Straight On” and Deep Purple’s “Mistreated.”

"[Lucas] really wanted to make a beautiful fairy tale with goblins and elves, and do it in a way that only this company can do," Gary Rydstrom, a Lucasfilm employee since 1983 and the director of Strange Magic, tells Yahoo Movies. “He had been working on it for a long time.”

The plot, inspired by A Midsummer Night's Dream, is split between two worlds: a kingdom that is home to “fairies, elves, imps and all sorts of creatures,” and then a dark forest, which houses “scary goblins and other nasty creatures.” The residents never venture out of their respective worlds…until forbidden love potions, made from flowers that grow along the border, are let loose.

At that point, “all heck breaks loose,” Rydstrom says, especially when the two main characters (voiced by Alan ******* and Evan Rachel Wood) meet. The director says Lucas often emphasized that the story should be about “finding beauty in strange places.”

6707173c1fc54787ae97b378d796a22a748a602c.jpg

Couldn't figure why the post was getting censored, until I looked up Alan's last name.

As for the movie, I am not really sure what to think about this. I will say that the animation looks really great, and they have a great voice cast, but beyond that I am not to sure. Reminds me of Epic which I was disappointed in. I am still waiting to see exactly how the pop music works into the story.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This comes out tomorrow and I fully expect that they will stop work on the new Frozen ride so Maelstrom can be turned into a Strange Magic ride. ;)

In all seriousness, buzz is not good around this movie. They didn't even it open it critic previews which isn't a good sign. I have to wonder if this was part of the deal with Lucas when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Cmdr_Crimson

This movie reminded me of Blue Sky's Epic and mixed with Gnomeo & Juliet with the Elton John songs thrown in...I'll still see tho..

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I had never heard of Delgo. Found the trailer on Youtube, it does look similar. Of course if you compare thier box office numbers Delgo makes Strange Magic look like a block buster!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I finally got to watch this movie and personally I didn't think it was bad as people made it out to be. I found it entertaining and the animation was really well done. I was expecting a lot of Jar-Jar type humor but it really didn't go in that direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom