Stories of leaving the parks after New Years Eve

kelknight84

I would probably say from 12:00-2am would be the busiest everywhere, then slowly taper off that by 3 there would be little to no issues. When I left at 4 after work, there was almost no traffic. But like I said earlier it took us until 3 to even clear MK.

Upvote 0

tahqa

Your statement cannot be measured in terms of wait unless you can tell us at what time they got to their car. If they were at the car soon after midnight then a three or four hour wait is horrendous. On the other hand, they may have only returned to the car at around 2am which is far better
They left Epcot right after Illuminations. So figure it's 12:30 to 12:45 before they returned to their car. However, you are correct in that if you stay in the park as long as possible then you'll be waiting in your car for a relatively shorter period.

My advice, if you're going to do a park on NYE, is to take a nap before arriving at the park and be prepared to stay in that park as long as possible.

NYE at Epcot really is a blast and is well worth it if you can deal with the crowds.

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

What year? Was it bad just getting out of the parking lot, around the WDW grounds, off property or all of the above?
NYE '94 ... we waiting an hour until 1 a.m. to let the mass exodus of people to calm down but it still took awhile to get on the ferry to the parking lot, out of Disney property and to our motel, which was just minutes away on (can't remember the road anymore ... 192?).

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Always celebrate in Epcot.

Always walk back to our room at an Epcot Deluxe.

Never an issue. Tip--stay at Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk/S&D and don't deal with parking, traffic, monorails, and busses. Or lines. It's just an enjoyable walk back

Upvote 0

JillC LI

why would anyone subject themselves to this? i'm sorry to sound mean but there is no amount of magic, or money for that matter, that could get me in those parks on these holidays.

I'm with you @Club34 here - well mostly. I WOULD take a free trip to the parks on NYE, but I'd never pay to plan my trip then since our trips are sadly few and far between.

NYE is a lot of fun in WDW, the fireworks are spectacular.

Why do so many people pack into times square on NYE, and in the cold to boot? NYE is a celebration and is a lot of fun with 50,000 other people to help. Yes the lines are extremely long and the crowds can be a bit unruly at times but it is so much more fun than sitting at home watching the ball drop on television, at least it is for me.

When I was going to law school in NYC, I once went to see the ball drop in Times Square for the 1991-92 NYE. I nearly got hit in the head with a flying beer bottle. I felt suffocated and crushed by those screaming crowds. I live in the suburbs of NYC now and I will never go back to Times Square on NYE. Definitely is more fun watching it on TV. But clearly there are 50,000 other people who think like you @Lord_Vader! lol

Upvote 0

pug

Bad: wanted 50 min for a riverside bus at 2:05 am got on around 2:55 am and I was leaving the same day at 10:00 am! Not fun! :)

Upvote 0

durangojim

One year waited for 90 mins for a bus from DHS (or MGM at the time) to the WL. Next year walked from EPCOT to BC. Took less than 5 mins and it was awesome. Staying at a resort close to the park you plan on being at on NYE is the only way to go, IMO, even if it's only for one night.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom