Stopping in Fayetteville, NC

gracchoi

Original Poster
We're considering driving down in early Sept. from Philadelphia. What's the problem with stopping in Fayetteville? I read a warning about it, but no detail. All I know is that Ft.Bragg is there. Are there any nearby options? My son hates to sit still in the car, so there's no way we could drive straight through.:hammer: We'd all be nuts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh- also Jacksonville. Is crime worse than any other big city along the I-95 corridor? Any nearby alternatives in case we can't make it the last few hours?

Thanks,
Julie

pheneix

>>>What's the problem with stopping in Fayetteville?<<<

Fayetteville isn't the problem as much as it is the smaller towns. One of the worst is 20 miles north of it called Dunn (my hometown of all places!). Quite simply, if you have *anything* of value in your car, speed on past this town as hard and as fast as you can. I remember hearing a while back about tourist that was passing by and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Overnight, some came in, smashed the windows of his car, and stole everything out of it. They even ripped the seats out! Just stay the hell away for you're on good.

Seriously, the stretch of I-95 between Smithfield and the NC/SC border is pretty rough.

atownsend

I stayed at that holiday Inn once in Feb. 2000. I wasn't robbed but I did try to get dinner from the Bojangles across the street, We were one hour before the posted closing time and they had already started to shut down. we waited in the parking lot over a 1/2 hour or so for our food to come out.:brick:

gracchoi

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I read the suggested thread, which is what made me reconsider our trip plans. Living in a northeastern urban area, I just thought driving through an area lacking large cities would be less dangerous than our daily trips around town. From what I've been reading, I might be wrong! It all looked very tranquil from the autotrain last time we went. Well you learn something new everyday.

Thanks again.
Julie

Stellajack

Premium Member
re:stopping in Fayetteville, N.C.

Hey gracchoi, there are lot's of places to stop here in NC on your way to WDW, (even Fayetteville)! Please consider our own backyard in Smithfield/Selma, NC (about 50 mi N of Fayetteville). Just take the 96 or 97 I-95 exit and you'll have your pick of some VERY nice motels (ie. Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Jameson Inn, etc). In addition you can take just a couple of extra hours to browse the Carolina Pottery Outlet. We are a VERY friendly and pleasant place to stay and just as safe as any other stopover. You'll be about 10 hrs from WDW if you stay here, and rested and ready to go!:wave:

pheneix

Smithfield is pretty nice. There is a Jameson Inn just down the street from the Outlet Center. They also have the Log Cabin inn, which is built a mile or so from the interstate. The last time I stayed there, it was pretty nice. The restuarant there was also very good.

But like I said, once you get south of Smithfield, just put the cruise control at 70 and cruise on by. And when you drive past Dunn, make sure the doors are locked. :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom