Stocking up off site?

RyanH

Original Poster
Hi

First of all, this is my fourth or fifth question, all of which have been answered in a really helpful manner. Thank you, people.

Here goes! We are coming from the UK, and it has been suggested to us that on our first night we should dump our bags, get a taxi to Walmart (or similar) and stock up on drinks and snacks. Bearing in mind we will get the refillable cups as part of our meal plan, is this really going to save us a great deal? We are not hiring a car, so I sort of think the saving against buying on site will be eaten up by the taxi fare. If that is the case, then I'm not inclined to want to do this after a full day's travelling, but if it is likely to save us a lot then maybe we will consider it.

Thanks

CaptainAmerica

Don't mess with the taxi. Use Garden Grocer or a similar service. For a small fee ($15 USD or so) you can order groceries online and they'll be delivered right to your room. The most savings can be found with bottled water and alcohol. You might also want some cereal, granola bars, or other quick "breakfast on the go" since the dining plan might still leave you wanting breakfast.

Tuvalu

Don't mess with the taxi. Use Garden Grocer or a similar service. For a small fee ($15 USD or so) you can order groceries online and they'll be delivered right to your room. The most savings can be found with bottled water and alcohol. You might also want some cereal, granola bars, or other quick "breakfast on the go" since the dining plan might still leave you wanting breakfast.
I checked Garden Grocer for our upcoming trip. It is a $40 minimum order, plus the $14.99 delivery fee. All I need is two cases of bottled water. Bummed this won't work for us. :(

HRHPrincessAriel

I checked Garden Grocer for our upcoming trip. It is a $40 minimum order, plus the $14.99 delivery fee. All I need is two cases of bottled water. Bummed this won't work for us. :(
If you are Amazon members water was TOTALLY afforadble. There is a $6.00 shipping fee per box. If you aren't a member you can usually do a 30 day free trial I think

littleroo

The Garden Grocer option worked fine for me (so far, assuming it turns up!!). We had a $60 spend.
It has always turned up for us and always on time. I dont believe you have a thing to worry about. Plus it is paid ahead of time! Another bonus!

With the dining plan you don't have anything to worry about. With breakfast just use your refillable mug, you are also entitled to a bottled drink. Just take a bottle of water each and bring them with you. You won't go hungry with the dining plan.

BigRedDad

Without a car, it can get expensive. You are on a meal plan, so you have plenty of stuff to eat and drink. You get the refillable mugs, so that reduces what you spend on. As a previous poster stated, get a bottled drink with each meal and take it to the room. Use your mug at meals.

G00fyDad

It will cost around $30US to use a taxi from your resort to the nearest Walmart. Since you are on the DDP I'd skip going off property. We prefer going off property for all sorts of things like a beach day, going to the store for things we forgot, didn't want to pack, or suddenly found a desire to buy. For this reason, we always rent a car/SUV.

CaptainAmerica

With the dining plan you don't have anything to worry about. With breakfast just use your refillable mug, you are also entitled to a bottled drink. Just take a bottle of water each and bring them with you. You won't go hungry with the dining plan.
No, but you might go thirsty. Dining plan or not, I always get a case of water per person, minimum.

dreamfinder

It really depends on what you need to buy. In most cases the cost of the cab would be offset by simply paying the service fee to WeGoShop (basically personal shoppers) or possibly by using Garden Grocer. WeGoShop only charges you what it costs them to buy your items plus their service fee, while Garden Grocers has a markup on most items and may charge you a delivery fee on top of that, depending on your order. The plus side to Garden Grocer is they have their prices posted so you know exactly what your total will be, while WeGoShop pays whatever the store you ask them to go to is charging when they make your purchase (usually less than Garden Grocer) but hard to budget an unknown.

But as a few other PP's mentioned, you get a fair amount of food with the DDP. I'd re-evaluate if you really need snacks and drinks on top of what is included with your plan. Way to many people post about having to spend a large number of snack credits on their way out the last day as they were too full to use them during their trip.

SW_matt

I came from the UK and will be coming again on my next trip. I would echo what others have said about the dining plan and we got nowhere near running out of food. One thing that caught us out was the difference in temperature coming from the rubbish UK weather, best bet is to stock up on bottles of water and drink LOADS in the morning and then top up the rest of the day.

Only extra food we bought was some bits of fruit to snack on when we got up (approx 6:30) and then late breakfast in the parks followed by an evening meal. We rarely have lunch

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom