Stitch's Great Escape Goes Seasonal

V_L_Raptor

World of Disney?

If it were me I'd restore Sarge as S.I.R. and put him and the Skippies up in one of the dozens of empty spaces along the peoplemover track and just have them loop the old alien encounter preshow.

The peoplemover narration could give some minimal explanation for what's going on, and a handful of static figures "watching" S.I.R.'s presentation would be all the context you need.

Isn't SIR an A-100? (Skippy too, I'm guessing.) I'd imagine most of those would find alternate use somewhere, if not in place.

po1998

This is the WDW way of saying the attraction sucks, we know people don't like it, but instead of shutting it down and immediately replacing it with a new attraction, we will just mothball it until Christmas/New Years, Easter, and the other busiest times of the year(it will still suck but when the parks are crowded the guests will get in any short line).

Now some middle manager can proclaim how much they are saving operationally by reducing the number of attractions at MK.

Bairstow

This is the WDW way of saying the attraction sucks, we know people don't like it, but instead of shutting it down and immediately replacing it with a new attraction, we will just mothball it until Christmas/New Years, Easter, and the other busiest times of the year(it will still suck but when the parks are crowded the guests will get in any short line).

Now some middle manager can proclaim how much they are saving operationally by reducing the number of attractions at MK.

Honestly, the Stitch attraction is so flawed and he Magic Kingdom so fully-developed at the moment (by WDW standards) that closing Stitch might actually increase overall guest satisfaction.
Sometimes less is more.

57c73b4e33dcfc4c60a494e94314803c-d7gudib.jpg

Goofyernmost

Honestly, the Stitch attraction is so flawed and he Magic Kingdom so fully-developed at the moment (by WDW standards) that closing Stitch might actually increase overall guest satisfaction.
Sometimes less is more.

57c73b4e33dcfc4c60a494e94314803c-d7gudib.jpg
Not in this case. All that would do is make other attractions have longer lines. Those that don't like Stitch's adventure or have read the bias reports on these and other sites will likely not go to it anyway and those that do be might less uptight and actually enjoy it. Closing any attraction without an immediate replacement is as bad as it can get in a theme park.

Bairstow

Not in this case. All that would do is make other attractions have longer lines. Those that don't like Stitch's adventure or have read the bias reports on these and other sites will likely not go to it anyway and those that do be might less uptight and actually enjoy it. Closing any attraction without an immediate replacement is as bad as it can get in a theme park.

Stitch draws so few people that its impact on attraction wait times would be minuscule.
Also, you're assuming most people experiencing the attraction have knowledge of it- they don't. The vast, vast majority of people coming to the Magic Kingdom aren't even aware there ARE websites like this one, and the fact that the ride continues to upset young children even after the Stitch overlay is and has been a continual irritation for Guest Services. The fact that Disney refuses to sanitize the attraction properly is just icing on the cake.
I maintain that for most guests, especially those who don't frequent internet forums, their day at the park will be better now that Stitch's Great Escape isn't even offered.

Goofyernmost

Stitch draws so few people that its impact on attraction wait times would be minuscule.
Also, you're assuming most people experiencing the attraction have knowledge of it- they don't. The vast, vast majority of people coming to the Magic Kingdom aren't even aware there ARE websites like this one, and the fact that the ride continues to upset young children even after the Stitch overlay is and has been a continual irritation for Guest Services. The fact that Disney refuses to sanitize the attraction properly is just icing on the cake.
I maintain that for most guests, especially those who don't frequent internet forums, their day at the park will be better now that Stitch's Great Escape isn't even offered.
Again purely individual opinion. If people aren't aware of it then it should have sufficient ridership to take at least a little pressure off other places. It's not the godawful attraction that it is dramatized to be. It's different, and probably not peoples favorite, but, I can assure you that the negativity is mostly confined to discussion forums. If it were a continual irritation for Guest Services it would have been closed a long time ago. However, now they have an idea that there might be something that is a much stronger draw so they are going to change it.

Bairstow

Again purely individual opinion. If people aren't aware of it then it should have sufficient ridership to take at least a little pressure off other places. It's not the godawful attraction that it is dramatized to be. It's different, and probably not peoples favorite, but, I can assure you that the negativity is mostly confined to discussion forums. If it were a continual irritation for Guest Services it would have been closed a long time ago. However, now they have an idea that there might be something that is a much stronger draw so they are going to change it.

Other than the new Fantasyland stuff and the Laugh Floor, Stitch's Great Escape is the newest attraction at the Magic Kingdom.
And it's already going seasonal pending shutdown.
I'd say that's a pretty clear indication that it was a resounding failure.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That it isn't.

It has never connected with the average guest. It regularly draws a tenth of its hourly capacity if not less. It scores the lowest in exit polls of all MK attractions.

Then we get to the geek opinions.
Whether or not Stitch is worthy of a high spot in MK has never been a situational belief of mine. In fact, when they started with the Stitch mania I was extremely upset. It was like they were trying to make Stitch the symbol for WDW. Replacing good old Mickey. You couldn't swing an overloaded, I am always prepared, backpack without hitting something Stitch related. I never found AE to be scary, but, I believe I was intelligent enough to see that it could scare the crap out of small kids and had no place in MK. But, I don't see anyplace that says that kids were scared out of their wits by Stitch. Surprised, yup, I'll give it that, however, the "grownups" didn't like it. I wasn't floored by it, but, I thought it was amusing and certainly different. I never went to it every time it was there so I will admit that it was hardly my favorite.

That said, I am not even arguing that it should stay and if, as you say, there is something planned to fast-track it to something new, I'm all in favor. The discussion was that they could close it anytime because it has not affect on crowds. Everything has an affect on crowds and any loss of an attraction will influence it one way or the other and, I believe you will agree, any outright closure of an attractions is pretty much the same as a going out of business sale to the average person and only an idiot would want their business to look like that. But, in recent years that has exactly the system that the Disney brainiacs have decided is the way to go.

So I will correct your statement slightly. "It has never connected with the average adult guest."

Something to consider just as a bit of Irony. CoP regained it's life because it reopened regularly when they were switching over from AE to Stitch. Now CoP, once thought of as a massive loser, is being given a major looking facelift just in time to pick up some slack when they close down Stitch. Isn't it funny how this all works?

rct247

It scores the lowest in exit polls of all MK attractions.

They even stopped doing exit polls at this attractions because they were so bad.

On even the busiest days it would only have a wait of 30mins and that was only in the morning when clueless people walked in because it was the first thing they saw walking into Tomorrowland.

Crowds are so low that it is why is is no longer open for special ticketed events.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
You know, I never did understand that. And I agree, no need for two rides like that.
You know what I would not be opposed to? Take out Buzz Lightyear Spin and retheme that to Stitch. Re-use the Stich animatronic before entering ride vehicle similar to Buzz where it is now. No need for two Toy Story shooters with Toy Story Mania and the new land coming soon.
ow

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm still hoping for a very very very very thin chance of a Doctor Who attraction involving the Tardis... Maybe using live actors.. "re-design" the tardis to where the entire walls, floor and ceiling are see-through so it's like the ENTIRE room is a screen and you feel like you're flying. Kinda. Have real actors play, like, the doctor... Still use the AAs in the 2nd pre-show for a brand new pre-show.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ag1997

I'm still hoping for a very very very very thin chance of a Doctor Who attraction involving the Tardis... Maybe using live actors.. "re-design" the tardis to where the entire walls, floor and ceiling are see-through so it's like the ENTIRE room is a screen and you feel like you're flying. Kinda. Have real actors play, like, the doctor... Still use the AAs in the 2nd pre-show for a brand new pre-show.

maxresdefault.jpg
Is Dr Who as popular in the US as it is here in the U.K.?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom