Stitch's Great Escape Goes Seasonal

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Guardians is the ideal replacement for Stitch. Rocket Raccoon AA replacing Stitch? Groot AA replacing the preshow Sargeant?
Yeah, but that alone wouldn't fix the problems with stitch. SGE is broken from the top down and changing the theme won't fix it unless it's made to be something intentionally scary so kids won't ride.

Also, the ride would be too low capacity for a Guardians attraction. it would lead to the same overcrowding issues frozen has.

Also, this wouldn't be thrilling. Guardians as a brand would make the most sense as something thrilling. The movie is primarily aimed at teams and young adults (though it has wide appeal), the ride should be too.

I'm not saying something Guardians related can't work in this space, but a reskin of Stitch should not be an option. There is just too much wrong with SGE.

Animaniac93-98

Yeah, but that alone wouldn't fix the problems with stitch. SGE is broken from the top down

I disagree. With a stronger script the attraction would be one of the better shows in MK. The hardware (both leftover from AE and installed in 2004) is impressive from a technical standpoint and the show's format is still pretty unique.

Whatever WDI decides to do with the space, the need to remember not to treat their guests like idiots who will laugh at any joke and disregard what makes the source material work (in this case, the emotional arc of the Stitch character). Also that no matter what you do some children will be scared and there's no sense bending over backwards to try and prevent that from happening.

RobotWolf

The thing that bothers me the most is that I had such expectations from that space. The theaters, structurally, go all the way down to Tomorrowland tunnel. There is a lot of space there, all for the taking.

But now that they're going down to one theater operation makes me think that whatever the result, we going to end up with the pre-show to theater A or B as per usual.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I disagree. With a stronger script the attraction would be one of the better shows in MK. The hardware (both leftover from AE and installed in 2004) is impressive from a technical standpoint and the show's format is still pretty unique.

Whatever WDI decides to do with the space, the need to remember not to treat their guests like idiots who will laugh at any joke and disregard what makes the source material work (in this case, the emotional arc of the Stitch character). Also that no matter what you do some children will be scared and there's no sense bending over backwards to try and prevent that from happening.
Remove the weird h eadrests and I suppose it could work. I agree it's very impressive from a technical standpoint, but the technology isn't the issue. The theater and everything tthere was designed to be intense and scary. Then Stitch was added with a fun and goofy script using that technology and it has scared pretty much every kid who saw it. Rocket would be the same way if it uses the same style of show. If you take out the intense parts of the technology, then it's Tiki Room with Rocket Raccoon. which leads back to the problem of it not being thrilling enough for a GotG attraction. And you never even addressed capacity issues. Stitch doesn't hold a ton of people and there will be huge crowds for Gaurdians. People love that movie and people will be interested to see marvel in Disney world.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
So I guess this is actually becoming seasonal like WoL did in its last years, huh? Not the kind of "seasonal" like CoP used to be.

I went on this once for the first time this past July just to satisfy my curiosity after years of reading it's one of the worst attractions on property. While I didn't hate it, I can't say I would like to willingly go on again.

Bring back Alien Encounter please

Sped2424

Wreck it Ralph by the Speedway is a very logical transition area. I hope that's where they put it.
I think it all depends on the budget of the project....In theory the idea for WIR taking the speedway should be RsR quality imo. But if what they are going to do is swap out a candy color scheme on the cars and put some candy canes and and gumdrops throughout the track then I would much prefer the simulator.

CanadianGordon

It's very telling for me that a dear friend of mine when told about this impending closure, she went meh, since I knew she'd be visiting last month and could have seen it one last time.
She's a huge Stitch fan. She hates the ride. It doesn't showcase the character the way she loves it and would much rather remember it for the movie and the tv show...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's such a no-brainer that I'm increasingly irritated that they haven't done it [overlaid Candy Rush on Speedway] yet.

Speedway doesn't need to be rethemed. It needs to go. It takes up a huge amount of space. You could put two all-sizes dark rides in its place. Or, put one dark ride there and an entrance to two more attractions-in-a-box across (or under) the railroad (in the same way Space Mountain exists). Being on the border of Fantasy Land means that all three rides don't need to be Tomorrowland (or whatever it may become) themed.

The Empress Lilly

Speedway doesn't need to be rethemed. It needs to go. It takes up a huge amount of space. You could put two all-sizes dark rides in its place. Or, put one dark ride there and an entrance to two more attractions-in-a-box across (or under) the railroad (in the same way Space Mountain exists). Being on the border of Fantasy Land means that all three rides don't need to be Tomorrowland (or whatever it may become) themed.
The MK has easy expansion plots everywhere. It is not space that prevents more rides.

Come to think of it, the Speedway already gave way to two FL rides, Barnstormer and Dueling Dumbo's. Yay.

Last edited:

jt04

It's such a no-brainer that I'm increasingly irritated that they haven't done it yet.
Sugar Rush could be a nice bridge from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland.
Excellent opportunity to upgrade to electric carts like they use in Hong Kong, as well.

Balancing the crowds between the parks first is much much more important to the quality of the guest experience. All in good time. All in good time.

powderehss

I just want AE back because I never rode it as a little kid...
IT SEEMED SO COOL! I only went on SGE this year to see Skippy and the chamber (but mostly Skippy.)

But GOD, it was... awful. And I love Stitch.
My parents who both rode AE got to try SGE for the first time this year and they were real disappointed with it.

I HOPE they don't turn it into a WIR attraction. Just make the speedway WIR.

Biff215

Kids would still ride even if it is intentionally scary. Parents tend to ignore warnings, and then complain to Guest Services when their kid is terrified. Just look at Alien Encounter. This is exactly why we have Stitch's Great Escape.
I know that's the primary theory, but it was also a desperate (and perhaps obvious) attempt at synergy. Much like Frozen in Norway, Disney saw an opportunity to modify an existing attraction. Even with a better script, Stitch was still doomed to fail from the start as it replaced a popular attraction (at least for some).

I thought AE was great the first time, but it became something I could skip once the surprise factor was gone. Of course Stitch was far worse, so I'm hoping for a full rebuild at this point.

MagicHappens1971

What would also be great is if they could use some of that space to do a Alice in Wonderland type maZe to improve the transition between Fantasyland & Tommorrowland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom