Steepolt chase ride in frontier land?

Tavernacle12

Do you mean Steeplechase? It was rumored for the U.K. Pavilion awhile back, I don't remember anything about it being in Frontierland.

tl77

When WDW was being planned, a idea came about for Fronteirland that guests would sit on wooden horses planted on the floor in front of a giant screen; projecting the sense you were riding the wilderness in a adventure type ride.
There was concept art for this in a Disneyland Anniversary special, I think maybe their 50th? It was hosted by Julie Andrews... the ride was like a Wild West ancestor to Star Tours

IMFearless

I believe one of the main issues was capacity as the intention was to have the guest on a horse, essentially in a circle vision 360 type cinema, the issue was quickly identified that having multiple guests on multiple horses quickly ruined the experience for each other.

It kind of works with one or two guests, but once you have more than that the illusion of the experience would be ruined by the other static (or almost) horses. The way I have heard it described was a kind of racing through the prairie on horseback, Cow Boys and Indians type thing. Sounds like it was way ahead of its time as the technology just wasn't available to pull something like that off.

No Name

I believe one of the main issues was capacity as the intention was to have the guest on a horse, essentially in a circle vision 360 type cinema, the issue was quickly identified that having multiple guests on multiple horses quickly ruined the experience for each other.

It kind of works with one or two guests, but once you have more than that the illusion of the experience would be ruined by the other static (or almost) horses. The way I have heard it described was a kind of racing through the prairie on horseback, Cow Boys and Indians type thing. Sounds like it was way ahead of its time as the technology just wasn't available to pull something like that off.

I'll take Big Thunder Mountain over Gallop of Passage, thank you very much.

IMFearless

Yes I think it predates POTC being constructed - it was one of several attractions which were Blue Sky concepts along with the Western River Expedition.

I believe BTM emerged from those original plans, after they decided to build POTC instead of much of the ideas put forward for Frontierland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom