staying off site / anniversary

Lynnvz

Hi everyone,

My name is Lynn and i'm new on this website.

I'm planning on going to disney world with my fiancé next year to celebrate our anniversary. Now i've looked up a couple of things you can do in disney world to make your anniversary extra special. Still i would like to know if one of you have experience with those things and what you would recommend to do.

I'm planning on staying off site because it has its advantages (for us). For our anniversary i'm thinking of staying 2 nights in Disney's animal kingdom lodge. Is it worth the extra 400 pound or would you recommend something else?

I'm looking forward to all your reactions.
Lynn

CAPTAIN HOOK

My name is Lynn and i'm new on this website.
Hello Lynn, welcome aboard
400 pound
UK ?
Now i've looked up a couple of things you can do in disney world to make your anniversary extra special. Still i would like to know if one of you have experience with those things and what you would recommend to do.
You've only mentioned AKL - what else were you thinking about doing ?
For our anniversary i'm thinking of staying 2 nights in Disney's animal kingdom lodge. Is it worth the extra 400 pound or would you recommend something else?
We LOVE AKL - we spent 14 nights there this August having first experienced it during our Christmas visit in 08.
There are advantages and disadvantages to staying at AKL -
It's the cheapest of the Deluxe Resorts.
It's African theming (particularly in the lobby) is second to none.
There are virtually no "standard room views" which means that if you book a standard room you're virtually guaranteed to get a room with a savannah view. (Please note : virtually)

It's out on a limb - it's handy for AK but the other parks are a good bus ride away - particularly MK which you're most likely to visit.

After all that - I'd recommend it every time

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Agree with Captain Hook. Best resort for theming and views. If you don't mind a longer bus ride to the other parks, then I would certainly stay at AKL. Make sure to tell them you will be celebrating a special occasion when making your reservation. I would also make a dining reservation at one of the better restaurants (most are in the resorts, which will give you the opportunity to check out the other ones). AKL has several excellent places to eat, along with Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Poly and Wilderness Lodge. Plus, there are some new restaurants in Disney Springs that look very good. Make sure to tell the staff when making your dining reservation you are celebrating your anniversary.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and congrats in advance on your upcoming anniversary.

Upvote 0

Lynnvz

Original Poster
Yes i live in the uk but i'm originally from Holland and this will be our first anniversary we spend together. I thought it would be quite nice staying in animal kingdom lodge but if if you recommend a different resort, i would definitely consider it!

We personally don't mind a longer bus ride but how long does it take to get to the magic kingdom?

Thank you for your reactions

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We personally don't mind a longer bus ride but how long does it take to get to the magic kingdom?
You must remember to factor in the wait time at the Resort bus stops. If you're lucky the bus you want turns up seconds after you do - there isn't a timetable so you could equally just miss it.
Journey time will vary with traffic but you're looking at around 20-30 minutes. Occasionally the bus would turn right after leaving AKL and stop at Kidami Village (AKL DVC Resort) but this only adds a few minutes onto the journey

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Will you spend enough time at the resort to make it worth while? If you think your park touring style will be open to close, eating all 3 meals in the parks, then it's probably not worth it. As much as I love AKL, stay off property or at a value in that case. If you think you would spend time at the resort, soaking in the views and decor, spending time on the outlooks watching the animals, and perhaps most of all eating a meal at at least one of the 3 better restaurants on property, then go for it.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You are traveling a long way to celebrate something special. Treat yourselves and stay at AKL. I'm in disagreement with the "only be in the resort to shower and sleep so don't really care about the accommodations" camp. With evening extra magic hours, the Magic Kingdom can be open a total of 17 hours. That's an endurance test. Stay someplace you will enjoy coming back to, not a Value full of cheerleaders, large groups of teenagers on their summer/winter break, etc.

Upvote 0

SMS55

Honestly it all depends. Staying off site does allow you to save money to do extra activities, maybe add a day or so to your vacation. Staying onsite allows you to be completely imersed in the magic. You have extra magic hours, complimentary parking if you drive (sounds like your from England, so you will be flying), if you decide to have a drink or two, you don't have to worry about driving. We always stay on site, however, we stay at value resorts. We're the type that we will spend just about every minute in the parks. A room to us is to sleep and shower. If that's what you plan to do, then no, deluxe resorts aren't worth it. If you plan to enjoy the amenities the resort offers, then it may be worth it for you. We're staying at a moderate resort this time. We waited too long to book that the price for a Florida resident for moderate resort was only about $5 than a value, so why not.

Upvote 0

Lynnvz

Original Poster
Thank you all for your reactions!

We are travelling from Scotland to Orlando to celebrate our anniversary and we thought it would be a great idea to end our holiday staying in a Disney resort. And yes we will probably spend most of our day in the parks and maybe have dinner in one of the AKL restaurants.

For me it will be the 2nd time to visit Disney world but for my fiancé the 1st time. I didn't stay in a Disney resort the last time so i thought it would be great to experience what it's like to stay in a Disney resort.

Upvote 0

Wendy Pleakley

Any idea what you want to specifically experience at a Disney resort?

I've stayed at Coronado Springs and Port Orleans French Quarter and enjoyed the following aspects:

• Walking the expansive grounds at CS, stopping to relax in a waterfront hammock.
  • Nicely themed pool and water slide at CS.
  • Taking a ferry from POFQ to Downtown Disney.
  • Walking from POFQ to Port Orleans Riverside to take in the themeing there as well.
  • Not having to drive, can have a drink or two at dinner with no worry.
  • Extra Magic Hours. Not a huge fan of morning hours, but evenings can be great, I particularly enjoyed being in the Magic Kingdom past midnight.
  • Convenience of a table service restaurant in the resort.

AKL has some nice restaurants. The savannah view could be worth the $$$, it isn't for me. If I was going to pay for a deluxe resort I'd probably stay at one of the monorail locations. Quick access to the parks and the ability to go back to your room relatively quickly strikes me as being more valuable than what AKL offers.

For me it comes down to how much time I plan to spend in the resort and what I want to do there. I like the way the moderates are spread out, some people are turned off by that. I happen to enjoy spending time each day walking the grounds, listening to music on my phone.

I think it's worth it to splurge for a few days in the Disney bubble. I'd consider doing a moderate resort instead for a 3-4 night stay. To me, 2 nights feels rushed and I wouldn't even feel "settled in" to the resort.

Whatever you decide, I really recommend spending some time at the resort you've paid so much money for. Take a day where you spend half a day in the parks and half the day enjoying your resort.

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

You're flying a long way, stay on property and totally immerse yourself in what Disney has to offer. If you want to stay close to property, but still "off site," look at the hotels right near Disney Springs. Most likey they will be cheaper, but they're still going to be close to all the major attractions and a short walk from DS.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom