1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Staying in the park -- I need some help!

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Planning' started by Big_Guy, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Big_Guy

Big_Guy New Member

We are planning a trip to WDW in 2004 -- likely in January/early February before "peak season" hits in later February...

Our last trip (first one in over 20 years!) was in January 2001. We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort. Accomodations were fine, but with 4 of us staying in one room (2 adults and 2 kids aged 6 & 4 at that time) and with only 2 queen beds to sleep on things felt slightly cramped.

So we are going back next year, when our kids will be 9 and 7. While I don't want to pay a fortune to stay at a multi-room suite at one of the deluxe WDW resorts, I want more flexibility in terms of sleeping arrangements. I also value staying at a resort within WDW. So here are my questions:

(1) Can you book adjoining rooms at any of the resorts that are connected by an internal door?

(2) I noticed on the official WDW site that they offer standard rooms at the AKL with 1 queen bed and 1 set of bunk beds. Is AKL the only resort that offers bunk beds?

Any other ideas for a 4 person family would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chris
  2. meanmice

meanmice New Member

I know the feeling! When I went the past two times with my parentsand my brother, we had to share a bed, it was strange because we were 15 and 12! I have seen pictures of the rooms with bunk beds and personally, I think that's the way to go. If you have seperate rooms, you never know what could happen. I know that if I had the ability I would most definatly lock my brother out and make him sleep outside, but of course he would probably enjoy that.
  3. Wckd Queen

Wckd Queen New Member

Hey there, Big Guy ;)

I know what you mean about those suites! Boardwalk Villas cost me $495 a night for the one bedroom:eek:

We were 5, with 3 adults and two 15 year olds, and we wanted to get adjoining rooms. Unfortunately, as with every hotel you book everywhere, the story is that they couldnt guarantee adjoining rooms (with the doors between the rooms connecting them) So, since we knew how huge the Disney hotel complexes are, and we didnt want to be on opposite ends of the building from one another, so we opted for the suite.

Now, I have a friend who goes year after year to the All Star (Movies, I think...dont quite remember now) and she says she never has a problem with the adjoining rooms. Now, I dont know if shes talking rooms next to each other or rooms on the same floor in the same vicinity, but she is always satisfied.

I dont blame you for not wanting your little ones alone in a room away from where you can get to them. My nieces were 15 (ack! almost 18 now! Those kids are aging me! :lol: ) and I didnt want them out of my sight! As safe as I feel at Disney, you just never know. What if someone got sick or hurt and I was what feels like half a mile away at the Boardwalk? Know what I mean?

I believe the Wilderness Lodge has bunk beds. I know someone who stayed in a room with them and the kids just loved em. Its something different for them to enjoy and it makes for a different hotel experience for all! Also, check the square footage of the rooms at the various resorts to make sure you are getting the most space.

Good luck and have a blast!! I know its a year away, but the anticipation is all part of the fun of going to WDW!!! :)
  4. Yellow Shoes

Yellow Shoes Well-Known Member

Yes, Wilderness Lodge has bunk beds, as does AKL. This is a good thing, because they are the least expensive of the deluxe resorts.

Bear in mind that there are a limited number of bunk bed rooms. This means that
    1) you may not get one
    2) you may not get the view you requested

But by all means request one when you make your reservations.

About adjoining rooms:

I have a friend with 4 children and the reservations people told them that they "had" to have adjoining rooms (their oldest was 12; youngest was 5).

My guess is that it has to do with children's ages and adult:child ratio. For example, with 3 adults and 3 kids, the kids and adults could (in theory) be split up.

Does that make sense?

Personally, I'd go for the bunks.
  5. RandeB

RandeB Member

Connecting rooms

We've had 'em at the All Stars, you have to request connecting rooms. Had the internal doors in both Toy Story and Love Bug. Didn't need them when we were in Dalmatians.
  6. wdwfan65

wdwfan65 Banned

try staying at Dixie sorry riverside now, anyway some of there rooms have trundle beds in them our family of 4 has no problem
  7. One Lil Spark

One Lil Spark EPCOT Center Defender

BUMP

(explain later )
  8. CAPTAIN HOOK

CAPTAIN HOOK Active Member

How rude not to say hello !!!

Welcome to the boards Big Guy.
  9. Katherine

Katherine Well-Known Member

We atayed there before and they also had adjoining rooms. Welcome to the boards!!:wave:
  10. gjpjtj

gjpjtj Well-Known Member

Here's where the confusion lies. Disney calls two rooms next to each other adjoining rooms. Rooms with doors between them, (so you don't have to go outside) are called connecting rooms.

And yes some of the rooms at the All Star Resorts have them. :)
  11. DisneyPhD

DisneyPhD Well-Known Member

WL is lovely that time of year, warm and cozy when it can get a little chilly a night. I have heard good things about the rooms with bunk beds.

One option if you wanted a one bedroom but didn't want to pay the 500 a night price you can "rent" points from a DVC member and pay around 10$ a point, for 22 points a night for sun- thursday that is only 220 a night (weekends are more 45 points a night.) (these are rates for WLV Jan 2004. We are planning on staying at WLV the 1st week of Jan 2004 ourselves. I belive disboards has a forem for renting points, or at least can "hook you up." It can be a bit more complicated, but worth it in the end.

Also going during a "down time" you are more likely to get "conencting rooms." at any resort. It seems like every room I have ever stayed in had that alfuwl door (noise seeps through it more then the walls.)

Good Luck
  12. disneydentist

disneydentist New Member

You might want to consider a Deluxe room in the Wilderness Lodge. They are also called Jr. Suites. It is a two room setup that sleeps six. They are not prohibitively expensive, as compared to "regular" suites. If you hop over to www.WDWIG.com you can see the floor plan. SOMETIMES, you can get discounts on them. Watch mousesavers for discounts in general and call to see if this room is included.
  13. Big_Guy

Big_Guy New Member

Folks,

I really appreciate all these comments -- very helpful.

THANKS!

-Chris
  14. tigsmom

tigsmom Well-Known Member

stayed in a junior suite at the WL a year ago. The room was very nice and the kids didn't kill each other!! The only problem i found was that our room (on the 1st floor...below level) was toooo far away from everything.
  15. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Become familiar with mousesavers.com. It will help you get the best deal on a room.

At that time of year they may have good deals. You'll just need the right code, which you can get from mousesavers -- but codes don't come out until a few months beforehand. You may be able to get a 1BR for less than you think. Old Key West would be the least expensive -- probably around $350 a night, maybe less at that time. I don't know how that would compare to buying DVC points from a member.

Depending on how long you're staying, you may save money by buying one annual pass, which qualifies you for room discounts -- but again those discounts aren't announced too far in advance.

Also check out wdwig.com.
  16. DisneyGrandma

DisneyGrandma New Member

Big Guy - We just got back from a stay at PO French Quarter in January - We requested connecting rooms - the ones with a door in-between - and I called directly to PO FQ about three days before and they told me that they were holding a connecting room for us - we loved it. It saved me quite a bit of money and I think we enjoyed it as much as any suite we have stayed in.

I think that if none of the suites are right for you, consider the connecting rooms - they also have them at WL and almost every resort - but they hold them for single parents with more than two kids (that is understandable) but after that, if they have them available for you the resort staff is usually willing to let you have them. It also never hurts if they look at your record and see that you stay at the resorts on a somewhat regular basis.

I usually call (the resort) a few days before we go just to remind them and see if it is going to be possible - that seems to really help.

As mentioned previously, bunk beds are available at some of the resorts - just to be sure to ask which ones have them - If you choose WL why don't you ask for either a room with bunk beds or connecting rooms - my guess is that you will be able to get one or the other.

PS - That is our favorite resort at Christmas time or anytime when it is cool. We were unable to get rooms there this last January. So you may wish to book soon.
  17. SirNim

SirNim Well-Known Member

We, in 1999, my whole family, including my aunts, uncle, grandparents, and parents and brothers, went to WDW and stayed at Coronado Springs. This was in peak season, April vacation. Anyway, we had requested adjoining rooms. The only trouble was, we needed FOUR rooms to accomodate us all. So, what did CS do for us? Well, we got two adjoining rooms on the third floor, and DIRECTLY below us, we got two additional adjoining rooms on the second floor. Therefore, you may conclude that if you book well in advance, and request what you need, Disney will have more than enough space to accomodate your requests, and you can easily have two adjoining rooms. Additionally, now that theme park attendance has been lagging a bit post- 2001, there will be even more of a possibility for your requests to be fulfilled. This is only a story of mine told to convey certain convenience, take it as you may. Suites sure are expensive, they are nice and big, but sometimes you just have to roll the dice and take a chance. It will leave you more money for souvenirs!!!