Staying at the Contemporary

zero creativity

Original Poster
On this nice snowy day in Virginia, I am already starting to plan our 2016 Trip. We usually go the last week of June, my wife and I are both teachers and this works best for us. We have stayed before at POFQ, POR, OKW, Poly and recently WL. We would like to stay on the monorail again this time and we were thinking about trying the Contemporary. I just wanted to know what everybody's feelings about the resort are? What is transportation to HS and AK like? I have read all of the reviews but wanted other opinions.

MorganKelly

We always enjoyed our stays at the Contemporary. The rooms are large and comfortable and there is a good variety of restaurants. The location is prime for the MK and Epcot (transfer to another monorail train). There is watercraft service over to Fort Wilderness if you are so inclined). Walkng to the MK is also a great option. Service to the other parks and DTD is slightly less convenient since it is by bus, but it is fine, just budget a little extra time.

Pghdrumr

Hello from another teacher couple. This is our favorite hotel. The Monorail really makes it great since we have small kids. The bus to HS is a little slow, but just budget enough time into your day for transfers. The contempo is a great place for meals, and our kids love the pool. I have never had any negatives to say about my stay at CR. The rooms are great, with the extra sofa bed, and the balconies that offer terrific views on both sides.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Getting to MK and EPCOT are pretty easy with the monorail (and walking to MK). The buses are just OK. It depends on time of year and crowds, but typically CR shares buses with some combination of Poly, GF and WL. When we stayed there in November the bus to DHS, AK and DTD all stopped at both Poly and GF. Luckily we were the first stop, but by the time we got to GF (which was the last stop) the bus was packed. Uncomfortably so on some days. I don't think it's any worse than the bus service at any of the moderate or value resorts, but not really any better either.

Dog Ate Mouse

I want to add is just go and have a Magical day. Your going to have a great time and a new experience. Kick back, have fun and do something a little different. I too on this snowy Day up in South Jersey am planning for a 2016 WDW vacation in September.

HouCuseChickie

My favorite WDW resort :) The bus service to DHS and AK has always been very good; however, the AK bus is often also routed to Blizzard Beach (stop before AK) - at least that's our midday experience with it, so that can be a little frustrating.

Tinkerkelle

I'm a teacher too but in snowy scotland! We get 2 weeks in October so are back this October staying at the Contemporary. Originally had heart set on POFQ but scored a week stay at Contemporary for not too much more and get free DDP as part of package with deluxe resort stay. Hope you have a fab time.

rob0519

We enjoy staying at the CR for most of the reasons alread stated, especially the ability to walk back to the hotel from the MK. Even though it's just one stop away, the crowds to get on the monorail at the end of the day are sometimes insane.

We're also breakfast people. So one day it's the Contempo Cafe, the next day we take the monorail to the Polynesian for Captain Cooks, the next day to the GF and then the next day the boat launch to the Wilderness Lodge. We always have a car, so I can't really comment on the bus situation. The few tmes we did use buses it seemed ok.

My only complaints about the CR are they have not had a 24 hour food court in years. Getting back from the park at 1:00 AM and having only vending machines available is frustrating. The hotel has almost zero Disney theming. Once you get past the front doors, the lobby looks like a Hyatt. Unless they have fixed or replaced their laundry facilities, the dryers are horrible. We pack a suitcase and take our clothes to the laundry room at the Polynesian.

Have a great trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy the resort.

cat hem

I stayed in the Contemporary and loved it. We were in the garden rooms (they are much closer to the pool) and as many have said the walk is quick to MK. Enjoy!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
We had a "blow it out" vacation for my wife's 50th the year before last. We went with a MK view at Contemporary.
Yeah...wish I could do that every single trip.

I will say that the overall vibe of the Contemporary isn't as awesome as say the Poly (my fave),but having a balcony facing the MK and that 10 minute stroll to and from the park is just da bomb and really can't be beat. So here is my one word of advice: I probably would NOT drop the coin on the CR if I didn't have that view...so to anyone considering staying there my advice is always: upper floors \ MK view.

Oh also the rooms are huge.......did I mention the view and the short walk to the park??? :D

We rent a car so we don't deal with transportation to the other parks.

totaldisneygirl

I Absolutely LOVE the contemporary resort! The Contempo Cafe and the Coffee Grounds place are wonderful to have in the resort. The access to the Polynesian and Grand Floridian is also amazing as well! Getting to the Magic Kingdom is so easy which is important since it's my favorite park. We will mostly walk over in the mornings when it's nice out and then take the monorail back at night when the Contemporary is the first stop. I would most definitely recommend!

ninjaprincesst

We recently stayed there. It was ok, but I prefer all the other deluxe hotels over this one. It is just kinda blah. the monorail access is great, but if you have anyone in your party with an ecv, stroller or wheelchair, the elevators are so tiny they will barely fit, especially the monorail elevator and the garden wing elevators.

slappy magoo

I will say that the overall vibe of the Contemporary isn't as awesome as say the Poly (my fave),but having a balcony facing the MK and that 10 minute stroll to and from the park is just da bomb and really can't be beat. So here is my one word of advice: I probably would NOT drop the coin on the CR if I didn't have that view...so to anyone considering staying there my advice is always: upper floors \ MK view.

I've never stayed in the CR "proper," but we're DVC and our last 2 stays were in BLT, both times with a lake view. I'm sure the theme park view is awesome, especially if you're in your room during the fireworks. But I found the lake views really nice, even with the view also overlooking BLT's pool. The lake view also affords you a view of the Electric Water Pageant. I don't know how much of a difference in price it is to get a Lake versus Park view, but it's a sizable chunk of DVC points. There are plenty of places at the resort to enjoy the view of the park, but I'm thrilled with the Lake View myself. We took a couple of turns watching the fireworks from BLT's lounge, we were good.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
We had a "blow it out" vacation for my wife's 50th the year before last. We went with a MK view at Contemporary.
Yeah...wish I could do that every single trip.

Oh also the rooms are huge.......did I mention the view and the short walk to the park??? :D

We rent a car so we don't deal with transportation to the other parks.

As an early riser, and someone that refuses to drive while on vacation...I disagree to an extent. I can't sleep in unless I'm sick, so I really enjoy the view of Bay Lake from an upper floor while I drink a cup of coffee while my wife sleeps. The Water Pageant on the evenings we happen to be in the room are great.

And the toilets, at least on higher floors, sound like there is a Pratt and Whitney turbine in the basement pulling everything down putting small children and pets at risk.

Last edited:

Tinkerkelle

I stayed in the Contemporary and loved it. We were in the garden rooms (they are much closer to the pool) and as many have said the walk is quick to MK. Enjoy!

We will be in the garden rooms and, while a view would be amazing, proximity to the pool is a priority for us (plus the rooms are sooo much more affordable.) We plan on watching the fireworks from the hotel one night and will definitely be scheduling some EWP time. We only just caught a fleeting glimpse of it as we left MK last time we were there. We're also really excited about being able to walk to MK and hopping on the monorail for ADRs at the Poly and GF. Really, we're just really excited about being able to stay at the Contemporary

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom