Starting to get irritated by DVC

Pioneer Hall

Quick question are you ever able to book a room a week or month before?

It really depends on time of year. I've booked rooms a month, week, or even day before when I have gone during less busy times. Then there have been times that I have issues getting a room for a few days 6 months out. Also, if you plan to book short term just remember that your resort choices will be limited. You will most likely have to go to SSR with the possibility of finding something at OKW or AKV.

Chezman1399

I was trying to stay at Boardwalk or BCV for the food and Wine Festival this fall, booked exactly 7 months out, but the studios were gone. They were there a day earlier, I guess I just didn't get up earlier enough to book. We ended up at BLT, no biggie since we plan on attending Not So Scary one night too. Waitlisted BCV, but not holding my breathe. Good luck, I know I've had friends who have had luck waitlisting BLT.

Penelope

Even if your home resort is one near/around the Boardwalk area, it appears that during even off season times you need to book the earliest date you can for the week you want to go. I have Beach Club as ours and I booked 10 months out, not the 11, and we had a problem getting a room for what I was told is notoriously a slow time (between end of Halloween and Christmas going up).

Not sure if that is the case elsewhere but we have always had to plan 11 months out to make sure we get the room we need there. Last minute has never worked for us at our home resort.

But I have found that the vacation planner we work with is wonderful. She has helped with some dining issues that came up this week as my party wanted to split up 2 nights for a meal and online you can't get a computer to realize that :) When I call the main line I get frustrated so I just go to her for things.

tjkraz

have Beach Club as ours and I booked 10 months out, not the 11, and we had a problem getting a room for what I was told is notoriously a slow time (between end of Halloween and Christmas going up).

I would say that whomever told you that either:

1. Is not a DVC member, or
2. Hasn't been keeping up on member booking trends the last few years.

DVC stay patterns are much different than the general public. DVC members typically are not the folks who fill the theme parks during the summer and around major holidays. DVC members enjoy the slower periods such that it tends to be HARDER to get a villa when the parks are considered "slow."

Specific to the Epcot area, from late-September through the start of January it can be very difficult to book anything. You've got the Food & Wine fest from late-Sept through early November, Halloween, "Jersey Days", Thanksgiving, the cheap period in early-December which is VERY popular and then the Christmas holidays.

Based upon my observations, about the only time when things slow a bit is a 7-10 day period in mid-November between the end of the Food & Wine fest and Thanksgiving week. But even then, no guarantees.

DarkImage4

I'll add my 2 cents in here...

We're DVC and our home resport is Saratofga. For the past 6 or 7 years (before we were locals) we never stayed at Saratoga, Even booking at the 7 mount window.

This is not to say that it's what we got right away, but (to debunk the thought that Disney won't try to "earn" your business) on a few occasions I've spent a bunch of time on the phone with member services while they did "bend over backwards" to get us what we want. Even for a last minute trip to WDW for Food and Wine, we had cast members find us a way to get into the Beach Club.

The downside that I will admit to experiencing is now that we are "locals" (under 2 hours away), we do have issues finding rooms...of course that when I'm trying to get a room less than a week away.

TINKER625

We were thinking of the DVC, but to get the time we want it would be too much stress. Keep on calling for the resort I want/ get on a waitlist. You are paying for a time share that you have to jump through hoops to get what you want. And to say that just purchase more points its still expensive. Dont you have to pay a maintence fee? That adds up year after year.
I'm sure its good for many people, but in the long run for my family its too expensive.

hansel1

Buy where you want to stay! Having said that, BLT is notorious for not having studios available. Boardwalk and Beach Club are hard to get into during food and wine especially if you want a studio. Animal Kingdom Villas Concierge is extemely difficult to obtain. There are numerous other contants with regards to DVC, all of which could be discovered by reading these boards and others.

Do a little research, ask questions on boards like these and you will save yourself some heartache.

I always book my home resort 11 months out and then try to move elsewhere at the 7 month window. I still haven't gotten to stay at BLT because the demand is so high. I knew this would be the case prior to purchasing a second home resort at animal kingdom lodge. I chose to get more points for the money at AKL over BLT and I live with my decision.

awilliams4

We were thinking of the DVC, but to get the time we want it would be too much stress. Keep on calling for the resort I want/ get on a waitlist. You are paying for a time share that you have to jump through hoops to get what you want. And to say that just purchase more points its still expensive. Dont you have to pay a maintence fee? That adds up year after year.
I'm sure its good for many people, but in the long run for my family its too expensive.

The only resort I was unable to get at 7 months was HHI during June of 2011.

I have never had to jump through anything to get the accomodations I have wanted at BLT, BCV, VB, HHI (this summer), AKL and OKW. Plan to try BWV and VWL next year.

Lynne M

When considering DVC, it's best to look at the total cost of ownership, the buy-in price + maintenance fees, and then compare that to what you're paying for accommodations now. Figuring my buy-in cost spread out over the life of the contract, plus my maintenance fees, my savannah view studio at AKV a couple of years ago cost me around $95/night. The 2-bedroom villa at VWL I got a couple of months back cost me about $300/night.

As for having to jump through hoops, if you book your vacations early enough, no hoop-jumping required. I think I've been on a waitlist once in the 10 years I've owned, and that was because I wanted to add a room for a friend that was coming along at very short notice.....about a month out. The waitlist came through within 24 hours. I've never made multiple calls to get the room I want.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I for one want to thank DVC for the help they gave me in the last few days. We are making a trip in Oct and all ready have 4 suites booked but want one more room for just one day. There are three members involved in the trip and one had banked points that they could not use. DVC work with us to make it happen and we got the room we needed for that night. We where flexible as we could be and Guest Services did everything they could to make it happen. Another Magical DVC vacation coming soon.

i under stand your frustration. I have some points that I wanted to use towards the end of my use year in late September. I have not stayed at Beach Club or Boardwalk and realy wanted Boardwalk. No studios at either for that Sunday-tuesday (23-25 I think). It's setpember, kids are back to scholl and F&W has not started, so I was not sure what the issue was. My sister called me earlier in the week wanting to come for a visit (she found out I went to WWOHP last sunday and wants to go too). So I pushed my dates back a week, still no studio, but with her coming a 1 br would be better. I did book the 1 br at Boardwalk - wanted a standard view due to the number of points I had to use up, but they had none, so I had to borrow 9 points from my next use year to book the garden or pool view. Whether she comes or not, it will be fun.

As far as the waitlist, I have never had them not go thru. I htink I have waitlisted 2 or 3 times since I bought in 2006. Granted I am a local (I live 30 miles away), don't have a large contract, and have used my points to stay at Grand Cali (2008 prior to the villas) and I used them to stay at DLP Disneyland Hotel. Hopefully your waitlist will come thru. I have stayed at BLT twice and I am pretty sure 1 of those trips was a waitlist that came thru.

BCVTalsJam

You just have to be willing to plan ahead...so if you can't see yourself booking early at the 11 month window then DVC isn't for you. We go twice a year (Jan and Oct) at BCV and they are very hard to book ...but we have never had a problem at out 11 month window. Even if you not sure if your going book at 11 months an cancel a little bit later if need be or switch resorts. The rules work for us but I can see that if your not into planning ahead of time it can be annoying. We live DVC and enjoy book so early...it gets us excited :)

herc

It seems that WDW is turning into DVC World. While I have points at Boardwalk since 1999, I have only stayed twice on points. It was always hard to get in if not booking at 11 months. My bad for trying to plan impromtu trips. We then matched our points at Bay Lake Tower a few years ago and have been quite lucky booking early out.
Anything within the 4-7 month window is nearly impossible any longer. Our recent trip to WDW this Feb. (Mardi Gras week and Presidents Weekend) was a nightmare. We booked at Boardwalk but with the Northeast snow, we were delayed a day. Great for cancelling our first night, but couldn't add a night to our trip at BWV. We were told the only thing left was Saratoga one bedroom handicapped. I booked it, checked online the next day and found a regular one bedroom so I cancelled the one and booked the other. Funny how even Saratoga didn't have room availability that week.
With the Grand Floridian Villas going in, I don't think it will make a dent in the crowded DVC availability. Rumor has it about a possible Poly DVC, but again, don't imagine a big one. The River Country DVC would have been really good to add. One would think that DVC higher ups have a plan since they see so many sold out resorts.

Good luck with your waitlists. You are waiting so long til November that I'm sure one of your choices will show up. I mean 9 months on a waitlist!! You should find something open up. Remember, many people book 11 months in advance and plans change. It's hard to plan a vacation almost a year in advance. Heck we find it hard to figure out where we want to eat at 180 days out, but you have to, to get anything that you think you may want.

disneyeater

It seems that WDW is turning into DVC World. While I have points at Boardwalk since 1999, I have only stayed twice on points. It was always hard to get in if not booking at 11 months. My bad for trying to plan impromtu trips. We then matched our points at Bay Lake Tower a few years ago and have been quite lucky booking early out.
Anything within the 4-7 month window is nearly impossible any longer. Our recent trip to WDW this Feb. (Mardi Gras week and Presidents Weekend) was a nightmare. We booked at Boardwalk but with the Northeast snow, we were delayed a day. Great for cancelling our first night, but couldn't add a night to our trip at BWV. We were told the only thing left was Saratoga one bedroom handicapped. I booked it, checked online the next day and found a regular one bedroom so I cancelled the one and booked the other. Funny how even Saratoga didn't have room availability that week.
With the Grand Floridian Villas going in, I don't think it will make a dent in the crowded DVC availability. Rumor has it about a possible Poly DVC, but again, don't imagine a big one. The River Country DVC would have been really good to add. One would think that DVC higher ups have a plan since they see so many sold out resorts.

Good luck with your waitlists. You are waiting so long til November that I'm sure one of your choices will show up. I mean 9 months on a waitlist!! You should find something open up. Remember, many people book 11 months in advance and plans change. It's hard to plan a vacation almost a year in advance. Heck we find it hard to figure out where we want to eat at 180 days out, but you have to, to get anything that you think you may want.

Listen, if you get into a program where you know that anyone can choose your resort 7 months out, you should book at that time. Also, if you go during very busy times like the week in Feb you went, spring break, or December, you should book at 11 months. They are busy times for a reason and it makes sense that the resorts would be booked.

I just booked at the 7 month mark for food and wine and litterally had every resort in WDW to choose from. As has been said before, if want to book last minute trips, this may not be a program for you. That said, I have booked last minute trips on points, just not during one of the busiest weeks of the year or at the most desirable resorts.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We also book our home resort at 11 months, and then decide if we want to change at the 7 month mark. We have been successful every time for a few reasons:
1. We call right at 7 months to the day
2. We understand that certain resorts are not available at certain times of the year (BCV and BWV during F&W for instance)
3. We love our home resort (SSR), so if there comes a time that we don't get in, we'll be OK with that as well

To date, we have switched to a studio at AKL Jambo House Savannah View, a studio at OKW near HH, and a 1BDr at Boardwalk with Boardwalk view. We have also booked both a 1BDr and a studio at VGC with California Adventure view. All at the 7 month mark without any problems or waitlisting. Someday we will try for BCV, VWL, BLT and VGF as well, but not during the busy times! Maybe we are just lucky. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom