Starbucks coming to Disney parks

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As are Yak and Yack and Yeti, nearly every location at DTD, several places at the Boardwalk, etc, etc. I think the time to worry about this happening would have been in the mid 50's.

Haha, back to the drawing board guys. People only want to ingest Disney brand foods.

jlandis44

People are digging way too deep into my personal opinion...this isn't about sponsorship, or selling a simple Coke product. For me, it's all about a new and different experience. Currently, I don't walk around Epcot and my choices for food are chain food commercial. I don't see McDonalds in the MK. But, I do see these things at Cedar Fair parks (and, THAT'S OK there...I even have season passes...Platinum ones too!). Personally, I don't want to walk around the WDW parks and have to choose between the same chain food garbage that I can get back home. I really don't care who RUNS the place, as long as the food is different and interesting. Ronald McDonald and Colonel Sanders themselves can be in the back of Le Cellier, for all I care. But, the food better not be chain garbage, or I'll be eating off site for a lower price for the same food. That's my only point. And, for what it's worth, when I go to DTD, I don't eat at places I can get back home or in other vacation spots. Leave me with the illusion that the food is different and interesting, and I'm willing to pay the premium.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Oh my science! This is fantastic news. Finally no more brinking instant coffee to drink with tepid water.

Nice exclaimation!

Don't drink coffee, but I find any non-Disney commercialization of the parks to deter from the experience. If I want non-Disney, I'll go to a Cedar Fair park.

That was my initial knee-jerk reaction, but it really doesn't pan out when you think of getting Coke, Gatorade or Dasani water, Kodak film (back when we needed film), Nestle Ice Cream Bars, Nescafe coffee, Dole Whip, etc, etc.

Nothing wrong with corporate sponsorship. That is different than what is being discussed here. Kodak helping pay the costs of a pavilion in exchange for some advertising is different than guests having to ingest the product of another company. And, while having a Starbucks isn't really a big deal, what's next? Conversion of all the burger stands into mini-McDonalds? Yuck. Next thing you know, Le Cellier will convert to "Ruth's Chris". And, San Angel Inn will convert to Uncle Julio's/Taco Bell/Qdoba. Just not a fan of the trend that could arise from this type of commercialization. And, what happens to all the Dole Whip fans when that stand converts to Dairy Queen?!?!?! The world could end...

I agree that this isn't the same as corporate sponsorship of an attraction. But it isn't too far off Coca-Cola being the (excusive, in Coke's case) soft drink provider.

But you are taking this beyond the one instance and suggesting what it MIGHT mean for the future. We're all guilty of that from time to time around here, but if Starbucks is a better product (which majority opinion seems to suggest), then comparing putting one Starbucks in each park with replacing all burger stands with McDonald's is an unfair comparison because you are chaning it from one per park to all, and because you are changing it from replacing with a superior product to replacing with an inferior product.

In addition, while I hear a lot of people talk about the food offerings at Disney being a positive part of the experience, I have virtually never heard anybody talk about the coffee offerings being a postive thing. And even for those who like the current coffee (anybody?), it'll still be available -- we're only talking about one Starbucks location per park.

Brian_WDW74

As are Yak and Yack and Yeti, nearly every location at DTD, several places at the Boardwalk, etc, etc. I think the time to worry about this happening would have been in the mid 50's.

Right. I really feel terrible for those early Disneyland visitors who were forced to endure such non-Disney restaurants as:

Aunt Jemima Pancake House
Carnation Ice Cream Parlor
Casa de Fritos
Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship and Restaurant
Coca Cola Refreshment Corner
Maxwell House Coffee House

Or current ones who are subjected to the horrors of the Carnation Cafe. :ROFLOL:

diddy_mouse

This is what I'm concerned with too. While I don't mind if the Main Street Bakery or Auntie Gravity's Galactic Treats start serving Starbucks coffee, I don't want to walk over to the counter where a corner of the store has magically transported me back to my local mall's Starbucks with the blonde wood countertops, sandblasted glass pendant lighting, and baristas sporting their bright green aprons. Keep me in the turn of the 20th Century or Tomorrowland please.

Yup, I agree with this. I can see the guidemaps having text like "Main Street Bakery - Proudly serving Starbucks coffee" or something to that effect. Or the "newly enhanced Main Street Bakery, now with Starbucks!" :lookaroun:lol:

jlandis44

Nice exclaimation!
But you are taking this beyond the one instance and suggesting what it MIGHT mean for the future. We're all guilty of that from time to time around here, but if Starbucks is a better product (which majority opinion seems to suggest), then comparing putting one Starbucks in each park with replacing all burger stands with McDonald's is an unfair comparison because you are chaning it from one per park to all, and because you are changing it from replacing with a superior product to replacing with an inferior product.

Fair enough. I concede that the comparison is extrapolation based partly on "what could be". We all know that WDW, if nothing else, will test things and if successful (to them - meaning, more $ in their pockets), the pattern will be expanded. I cannot speak to the quality of Starbucks, since, like I said...I don't drink coffee...I personally can barely tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi, so I'm not sure I'd know superior coffee anyway. But, you're right...I'd much rather have a (superior) generic WDW burger than an (inferior) anything from McDs!

WDWprincess2003

Yippee:sohappy:...this is the best thing I've heard. I'm such a huge lover of Starbucks...Now I'll have my two favorite things in one place. Enjoy the parks whilst drinking a Starbucks drink. Thanks WDW Magic for sharing this information. Any date when they'll be arriving in WDW Parks? I'm there in July.

I don't drink coffee, nor does anyone in my usual Disney-going-party. Therefore, I don't have much of an opinion on this, but I do agree with those that say that the Starbucks should be themed and build to fit in with the surronding area. Otherwise Disney will lose the quality we all love so much about it: the ability to transport us out of the realworld into a fantasyland.

I won't be shelling money out for it, so it doesn't really affect me. I do feel happy for all those coffee drinkers who continuously complain about the coffee in WDW.

ADP2

I could see a mad rush for the in-park Starbucks similar to the rush for a Fastpass or jumping in line at Toy Story at rope drop.

coolbeans14

this sounds like a good thing. whilst day to day I'm more in favour of Costa coffee (does that exist in USA yet?), I love me a frappucino, so I won't complain.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't drink coffee, nor does anyone in my usual Disney-going-party. Therefore, I don't have much of an opinion on this, but I do agree with those that say that the Starbucks should be themed and build to fit in with the surronding area. Otherwise Disney will lose the quality we all love so much about it: the ability to transport us out of the realworld into a fantasyland.

I won't be shelling money out for it, so it doesn't really affect me. I do feel happy for all those coffee drinkers who continuously complain about the coffee in WDW.

There is no chance something like this will be showing up in the parks. Nothing to worry about.

jambk

Not Happy

I really like the coffee they have now and I can't stand Starbucks. I'm a Dunkin Donuts & WaWa coffee drinker. This is not a good change. :(

wilkeliza

For anyone scared or ed that their local Starbucks will be at the parks I wanted to throw in a quote from the Disney Blog release

The Starbucks locations inside our parks will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Disney California Adventure park, Starbucks will be located in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café on Buena Vista Street, a place that transports guests to 1920s Los Angeles, when Walt Disney arrived in California and a cup of coffee was the perfect way to jumpstart a busy day. The store’s location plays off the Spanish/Mexican architecture of the period, and baristas will wear 1920s-inspired attire."

It seems that Disney and Starbucks have reached a full agreement that the Starbucks locations will match what area it is in. If I can transfer to one of these locations you better believe I will put in the request. I can't wait to see what the 1920's insipred attire and Spanish architecture will look like.

jamiek81

Yippee!

I know Starbucks can be overpriced, but I LOVE their breakfast sandwiches. Few things start a day better for me than a Venti Black Iced Tea and a Sausage/Cheddar Breakfast sandwich! I think it will be a lucrative partnership for Disney!

njDizFan

For some reason coffee threads in general always get "heated" since people have preference to certain brands. The one thing I hear over and over is how expensive Starbucks is and that I dont quite understand. I am right now in walking distance to a DD and a Starbucks and actually DD is slightly more expensive. Granted a convenience store(WaWA, 7-11 etc.) is a little cheaper by about .25 but it's not a huge discrepency and the coffee IMO is not nearly of the same quality.

Of course if you are getting a specialty beverage, then the cost is considerably more expensive...but that is not just plain coffee, it requires differrent ingredients, machinery, more labor and some amount of skill. Even then if I order a cappacino at a Starbucks it is similar in price to a restaurant or other establishment. Where are you people getting cheaper coffee?

devoy1701

For some reason coffee threads in general always get "heated" since people have preference to certain brands. The one thing I hear over and over is how expensive Starbucks is and that I dont quite understand. I am right now in walking distance to a DD and a Starbucks and actually DD is slightly more expensive. Granted a convenience store(WaWA, 7-11 etc.) is a little cheaper by about .25 but it's not a huge discrepency and the coffee IMO is not nearly of the same quality.

Of course if you are getting a specialty beverage, then the cost is considerably more expensive...but these are not just cofee that require differrent ingredients, machinery, more labor and some amount of skill. Even then if I order a cappacino at a Starbucks it is similar in price to a restaurant or other establishment. Where are you people getting cheaper coffee?

I would bet that a majority of the Starbucks "fans" do not order just a plain ole coffee. It's been a couple months since I've ordered a coffee from Starbucks, but I think it runs about $2.30 for a tall? I might be off on that...but I believe the cost between sizes is greater at Starbucks than at DD. Of course it also depends on where you are (I would think the NJ/NYC area would be more expensive, yet more closely priced than down here in Tampa.

Anyway...I'm a Folgers or Maxwell House drinker, DD is a "treat" for me as I drink a lot of coffee and can't justify stopping and payint $2.50 for a cup when I can buy a month's supply for $9. I can't even justify a Keureg Machine to tell you the truth.

In terms of taste though...I would even take a McDonald's coffee over a Starbucks cup.

njDizFan

I would bet that a majority of the Starbucks "fans" do not order just a plain ole coffee. It's been a couple months since I've ordered a coffee from Starbucks, but I think it runs about $2.30 for a tall? I might be off on that...but I believe the cost between sizes is greater at Starbucks than at DD. Of course it also depends on where you are (I would think the NJ/NYC area would be more expensive, yet more closely priced than down here in Tampa.

Anyway...I'm a Folgers or Maxwell House drinker, DD is a "treat" for me as I drink a lot of coffee and can't justify stopping and payint $2.50 for a cup when I can buy a month's supply for $9. I can't even justify a Keureg Machine to tell you the truth.

In terms of taste though...I would even take a McDonald's coffee over a Starbucks cup.
Good question Devoy, I wonder what % of people who purchase coffee at Starbucks actually purhcase just a plain cup o' joe. I would never consider purchasing anything but plain coffee but obviously that other market is huge.

Like I said though those specialty drinks are far from plain coffee, if you want one of those half caf, soy latte with shot of espresso and a squirt of vanilla light on the foam but extra whipped cream...it's going to cost you and also you dont have many other options to purchase such a product(except in major cities).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom